✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

John Mayer

sarah**

I'm kind of surprised John Mayer is getting love of this board. It's just different from what usually receives attention. The general pattern I've seen with John Mayer is every fourth or fifth song I hear is good. Don't know why, but it always appears to be the case. That said, I've been able to put together a pretty healthy list of songs I enjoy by him over the years.

My favorite song "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room." It's a classy, moody, sexy, throw back of a song. It makes me feel like I have an appreciation and understanding of the blues when, in actuality, I don't.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, wrong body. *backs away slowly*

LOL

What do you guys think of the new album? I understand those who say its crap because the style of the first several songs is pretty generic and uninteresting, but I like the way its produced more than continuum (although continuum is objectively much better), and it has a few gems imo, like Heartbreak Warfare, Who Says, War Of My Life & Do You Know Me.

LOL

What do you guys think of the new album? I understand those who say its crap because the style of the first several songs is pretty generic and uninteresting, but I like the way its produced more than continuum (although continuum is objectively much better), and it has a few gems imo, like Heartbreak Warfare, Who Says, War Of My Life & Do You Know Me.

Basically I have not heard it.

I DLed Who Says when it was released as a single and loved and couldn't wait for the album. Then I saw on iTunes one song was featuring Taylor Swift. So I didn't listen to the album. Not kidding.

I listened through it on lala and picked only a few songs I thought were worth downloading. No, it's not as guitar centered and doesn't translate as nicely onto the live show, although he does cover crossroads on it. But the tracks on battle studies are more refined and smoother as far as the basic verse components go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDxC1j9CugA]YouTube- John Mayer - Do You Know Me | New Album 'Battle Studies' |[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...

^

1). Good songs are Belief, Gravity, Who Says, I Don't Need No Doctor, and I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You).

2). If you like more singer-songwriter music an album is Room For Squares. If you like blues or pop go with Continuum.

3). Your sig is awesome. Cash ftw.

Wasn't a big fan until I saw him live a few years ago. He's awesome live. Get to see him again next week!

my favorite songs are probably

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

Gravity

Love Song for No One

Clarity

Dreaming with a Broken Heart

I haven't had a chance to really listen to the new album, but I do quite like Heartbreak Warfare. I saw him on Storytellers last weekend talking about the song, and it was nice to hear him admit that he knows it sounds a lot like U2's Bad. I couldn't stop thinking that when I first heard it!

it was nice to hear him admit that he knows it sounds a lot like U2's Bad. I couldn't stop thinking that when I first heard it!

it really doesn't though. tens of thousands of songs have two simple chords, the guitar and vocal melodies are completely different, and his song has a chorus and key-change.

^yeah, I know tons of songs sound similar, and I'm not accusing him plagiarism, but to me, when I first heard Heartbreak Warfare, I immediately thought of U2. It definitely diverges, but one part (can't think of specifically which right now) specifically, maybe a bass line or something, is VERY reminiscent of Bad. Not saying it's a bad thing, but that's what I hear. ;)

^

1). Good songs are Belief, Gravity, Who Says, I Don't Need No Doctor, and I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You).

2). If you like more singer-songwriter music an album is Room For Squares. If you like blues or pop go with Continuum.

3). Your sig is awesome. Cash ftw.

I've listened to Room For Squares and Heavier Things so far and I have to say I rather like them. :nice:

1) Yeah, those are great! I especially like I Don't Need No Doctor and I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You). Who Says is from his latest record, right? I want to listen to it, but I heard there is a song on it with Taylor Swift and that kind of scares me.

2) I like the singer-songwriter-y stuff, but I'm gonna listen to Continuum next. Waiting for the World to Change sort of annoys me, but I guess it's been way overplayed. Same for Gravity, but that's a better song. :D

3) Cash is the most awesome music related person ever. :cheesy: