✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin Promises His Lyrics Will Improve

busybeeburns

In a shock revelation, Chris Martin has declared that Coldplay’s lyrics need improving – and they know how to do it.

Martin claimed in a recent interview that he couldn’t pick a favourite Coldplay lyric, because he didn’t think they were very good.

Speaking to ginger minger, Chris Evans, on BBC Radio 2, Martin asserted: “One thing. They’re about to get brilliant.”

“I don’t want to go on about what we’re going to do but we’re about to get a lot better and part of that lyrically.”

Martin also revealed that the band were working on new material, and the process was causing him some stress: “I can’t sleep at the moment, cos we’re working on new stuff,” he said.

Download the interview here [thanks Nettie]

[Gigwise.com]

lyrics

I hate to admit it but i do think that the lyrics need to be improved.

There are some songs where the lyrics are brilliant but, especially on x and y, there are some songs where the lyrics are terrible! I mean what the hell is "you cut me down a tree/ and brought it back to me/ and thats what made me see/ where i was going wrong" It doesn't appear to make that much sense, or at the very least is not very poetic.

please don't think that i am bashing coldplay because i love them but there is room for improvement - that being said i could never write anything half as good as what Chris has written so I can't really complain.

Ginger minger??? :angry: That's just plain offensive but hey ho us Celts have got tae live with it I guess! Red and proud...that's what we are! :)

But yeah I reckon Chris is too self-critical but an improvement on what I think is already amazing would be phenomenal. Here's to the next album!

Although I believe that Coldplay aren't one of the strongest bands around, lyrically speaking, I don't really think that the best lyrics are ones that someone has 'tried' to make brilliant, they are an off-the-wall thing.

coldplay improving lyrics? well, i think they good enough already. but an improvement never hurts...the bad thing is that when one says that one will improve something, one is adding stress to oneself.

chris is a perfectionist. therefore he wont eat, sleep, drink or do anything else, until the lyrics are "perfect". im a little nervous...i just dont want next album to be overproduced... :/

^I agree with you. I don't think Bob Dylan sat down one day before, say, writing It's Alright Ma, and said "Damn, I'm going to try really hard to write absolutely genius lyrics to impress everyone!". It's a natural thing, a talent. I do think Chris has quite a lot of talent towards song writing, but no. I will say that lyrics are not Coldplays STRONGEST part. But they don't need to be genius lyricists, since what is so amazing about the band truly is the simpleness of them. The FEELING you get listening to them. You don't have to sit there and analyze "and ignite your bones". You just sing it. And you feel it.

So Chris saying "I'm going to make more brilliant lyrics for the next album" well I don't know. I think that's a load of bull. How can you change everything in such a short amount of time?

That being said, I am incredibly excited about whatever they do in the future. future_mrs_martin, I agree with you completely.

^exactly. i dont think any brilliant artist in any field, ever said: "mmm, lets blow people away". painters, musicians, poets..etc. they are good at what they do because they feel whatever they are trying to portray.

i draw, paint and photograph. if i start on a project with an intention...it comes out crap. for something to be good...it has to flow naturally... :confused:

^So true.

It's half the reason why I do so poorly in school. Someone tells me something has to be a certain way to get a grade, I'll do the exact opposite just to rebel against that. Sometimes unconciously, sometimes not. Or I just wont do it at all. My grades have all gone to pieces since this habit all started. :rolleyes:

^i never saw it that way. but i guess, that is a perfect explanation for my school grades. i dont do bad, but not as good as i used to. from 1st grade to 9th i was a little Hermoine Granger(you know harry potter right?) but 10th, 11th, and now 12th..i have a "but" in all the assignments...i guess this is what reading does to you...you learn to rebel! :lol:

mmm... Have their lyrics to improve??

At least for me are cool and so emotive but I can't understand why he said this!! Like others said I think he is so much criticist with himself.

I wonder how they could improve their lyrics... :huh:

i think this proves that the guys take into consideration all their criticisms and acknowledge what others think.

exactly...

at the MSG show.(or it may have been an interview.. I can't remember). he made a comment about how he never really cared about what critics said about him or the band.. but ever since he started meditating.. and practicing yoga and stuff, he feels that he needs to be at peace with what others say in order to be fully at peace with himself.. so he basically admitted that if he says the reviews and critics didn't bother him, he'd be lying.. so this is why I think he might appreciate all the flack he and his band received over this album.

Nice to see a lot of you are now agreeing that his lyrics need work.. lol I think their next album will definitely redeem this one.

bravo Chris!

but ever since he started meditating.. and practicing yoga and stuff, he feels that he needs to be at peace with what others say in order to be fully at peace with himself..

I'm sorry, Camille...you probably wrote this part in all seriousness, but i couldn't help laughing. i kept picturing that photo of chris half-naked meditating. :lol: