✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Libertines, Babyshambles, Dirty Pretty Things, Yeti Etc.

mburn

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• an_cat

• __therese

• coldplay_steph

• andyjean

i never liked him. never seen him on tv, or listened to any of the music, and never was interested in reading about him after one article i read.

i know someone that loves him though. and i'm like what for?

I have to say that I adore him. :D genius' date=' that pete. ^^ I tend to like people who are not perfect at all sometimes... ;)[/quote']

he makes himself not perfect. i think i rather like a person who at least tries and is not perfect. then you're like, we'll at least they tried. ahahaha :P

^That would be the short form ^^

In 1996, a young Brit called Carlos Barât got to know a contemporary guy who, in Carl's own words "wore a terrible black plastic jacket and stank of piss", Peter Doherty. Although the first meeting ended with an affray, the two men built up a deep friendship soon and founded the garage rock band The Libertines, together with drummer Gary Powell and bass player John Hassal. The two friends were connected by the same dreams: Playing music after the example of The Clash but also Morrissey, sailing on their imaginary ship called "Albion" to Arcadia, the wonderland where cigarettes grow on trees and where all fake moral concepts are just far, far away.

"But the Arcadian dream has all fallen through" (quote out of their lyrics), because of Pete's worse and worse getting drug addiction. He didn't come to gigs regurlary anymore, e.g., and the deep friendship between Pete & Carl turned into a love-hate-relationship. Pete even broke into the flat of his best pal just to get things that he could sell to get drugs. In 2003, Pete was sent to prison (the first time of some more following). After the arrest, The Libertines reunited, although the chemistry between the band members was never gonna be the same again. The self-titled follow-up to the Libs' debut album "Up The Bracket" was recorded in the presence of bodyguard to avoid too much fights between Carl and Pete. At the end of 2004, the same time as when Pete met his famous, as well drug-addicted girlfriend, topmodel Kate Moss, The Libertines finally split.

Pete, angry and hurt because Carl threw him out of the band, but still unable to stop his drug abuse, wanted to leave the past behind and formed a new band: the Babyshambles. With the first single "Fuck Forever", whose lyrics include relation to his fight with Carl, the Shambles had a great success, the following singles, the album "Down In Albion" and the concerts caused a Beatles-similar hysteria. In case that Pete came on stage at all. Because, in spite of all his started (and soon given up) tries to get away from heroine, in spite of all the good encourages, even by Kate and Carl - Pete hasn’t changed his very rock’n’roll lifestyle at all. When Kate finally broke up, he tried to kill himself, it’s not countable how many times he was arrested until now, and you can read all these things in the boulevard magazines. Not a day passes by without a new message from Pete. But there are still a lot of people, especially youth, but also music critics, who celebrate, admire, and call him the biggest genius of our time. And in his songs, the passionful melodies and the thoughtful lyrics, you can really find there’s something about it.

I've heard of them! But there are so many bands to discover (and so less space on my computer), so I don't know where to start :confused: They're really good, not another Hype-Band? It's crazy how many there are now.

Oh God, I'm just listening to a very early Libertines recording called "Mockingbird". I almost couldn't believe this is Pete singing. He sounds so - good! He was a real good singer before he started drinking and taking drugs so much! I didn't knew drugs could have such a big influence on the voice. He must be so dopey by now...

Yeah they are great. If you have space download Naive, the sofa song and jackie bit tits (best song title ever! :lol: ).

I;ve heard mockingbird. He did have a great voice. I saw babyshambles play at the NME awards show on tv and you kind of got a glimpse of that lovely sweet voice again....:(

^That would be the short form ^^

In 1996, a young Brit called Carlos Barât got to know a contemporary guy who, in Carl's own words "wore a terrible black plastic jacket and stank of piss", Peter Doherty. Although the first meeting ended with an affray, the two men built up a deep friendship soon and founded the garage rock band The Libertines, together with drummer Gary Powell and bass player John Hassal. The two friends were connected by the same dreams: Playing music after the example of The Clash but also Morrissey, sailing on their imaginary ship called "Albion" to Arcadia, the wonderland where cigarettes grow on trees and where all fake moral concepts are just far, far away.

"But the Arcadian dream has all fallen through" (quote out of their lyrics), because of Pete's worse and worse getting drug addiction. He didn't come to gigs regurlary anymore, e.g., and the deep friendship between Pete & Carl turned into a love-hate-relationship. Pete even broke into the flat of his best pal just to get things that he could sell to get drugs. In 2003, Pete was sent to prison (the first time of some more following). After the arrest, The Libertines reunited, although the chemistry between the band members was never gonna be the same again. The self-titled follow-up to the Libs' debut album "Up The Bracket" was recorded in the presence of bodyguard to avoid too much fights between Carl and Pete. At the end of 2004, the same time as when Pete met his famous, as well drug-addicted girlfriend, topmodel Kate Moss, The Libertines finally split.

Pete, angry and hurt because Carl threw him out of the band, but still unable to stop his drug abuse, wanted to leave the past behind and formed a new band: the Babyshambles. With the first single "Fuck Forever", whose lyrics include relation to his fight with Carl, the Shambles had a great success, the following singles, the album "Down In Albion" and the concerts caused a Beatles-similar hysteria. In case that Pete came on stage at all. Because, in spite of all his started (and soon given up) tries to get away from heroine, in spite of all the good encourages, even by Kate and Carl - Pete hasn’t changed his very rock’n’roll lifestyle at all. When Kate finally broke up, he tried to kill himself, it’s not countable how many times he was arrested until now, and you can read all these things in the boulevard magazines. Not a day passes by without a new message from Pete. But there are still a lot of people, especially youth, but also music critics, who celebrate, admire, and call him the biggest genius of our time. And in his songs, the passionful melodies and the thoughtful lyrics, you can really find there’s something about it.

Ah yes...now THAT explains who this fellow is. Haha. :D

We don't hear much about musical geniuses over here in the states...lol.

• 2 weeks later...