✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Progression of Chris' Voice

IneedYou23

From Parachutes to X&Y I think it is obvious how much Chris voice as changed and progressed.I think during the A Rush period is where he started to get vocal lessons or something like that to help his voice. I think the way his voice sounded in those periods really made the songs on the album and each album. I think on all 3 albums there is a different sound to his voice.Which i think make each album unique in their own way. Do any of you prefur a certain way Chris voice sounded or sounds? Ive been listening to a lot of the A Rush Of Blood to the Head songs and X&Y songs and i kind of like the way his voice sounded on the A Rush tracks. I mean i love how his voice sounds on X&Y but sometimes it sounds over produced. But i guess it just shows how Chris' voice is growing!!I love their music no matter what!!!Just a thought!!What do you guys think or hear??

I think nowadays he gets a litltle carried away with the falsetto. The high notes in square one are beautiful (when he's not dancing or rolling around on the ground), and he has a higher range than the vast majority of vocalists but throws it around too much. The chorus of White shadows, for instance, I think sounds a whole lot better in the album version where he talks in a medium-low tone. His voice in talk can also shoot up unnecessarily...I know I'm being super-picky, but those are some of my observations.

i am a vocal coach and i ask myself how it would be to teach Chris Martin!

I am a classical singer, but i think his voice is amazing and even live on stage sensational! If he is not running and jumping he is so powerful and clear with his voice. I am hypnotized by his carotid artery when he is singing Clocks the "aaaaaahhhh" part! I dont know if he got time for taking lessons. The more you practice the more you learn! God bless his voice! It would be awful if he`ll ever loose his voice!

I think nowadays he gets a litltle carried away with the falsetto. The high notes in square one are beautiful (when he's not dancing or rolling around on the ground), and he has a higher range than the vast majority of vocalists but throws it around too much. The chorus of White shadows, for instance, I think sounds a whole lot better in the album version where he talks in a medium-low tone. His voice in talk can also shoot up unnecessarily...I know I'm being super-picky, but those are some of my observations.

i COMPLETELY agree. while im certainly not annoyed by his falsetto like so many people i know seem to be, i do think he uses it a bit too much, particularly on X&Y. yes, he can use it sometimes (i think he uses it in much more moderation on AROBTTH, and he makes better choices of where to use it), but X&Y just overdid it. i really REALLY hope he tones that down on the next album.

actually, just this week, my mom and i were listening to "the world turned upside down" (where he doesnt actually sing that high in comparison to many other tracks) and she said "my god, he's going to give himself a hernia singing like that." :laugh3:

i LOVE LOVE LOVE it when he sings low. it makes me melt. his voice is even more magnificent when he sings low, IMO. i love certain words he sings in "the scientist" and "amsterdam" and all of "daylight." i really hope he goes lower on the next album more often!!

i much prefer his voice on parachutes and AROBTTH, but i have to say that i think it was best on parachutes for some unknown reason. i personally love his voice most in "shiver." i dont really know why.

on a similar topic, i kind of hope to hear some more vocals from the other boys on the next album, namely guy and jonny. :D

From Parachutes to X&Y I think it is obvious how much Chris voice as changed and progressed.I think during the A Rush period is where he started to get vocal lessons or something like that to help his voice. I think the way his voice sounded in those periods really made the songs on the album and each album. I think on all 3 albums there is a different sound to his voice.Which i think make each album unique in their own way. Do any of you prefur a certain way Chris voice sounded or sounds? Ive been listening to a lot of the A Rush Of Blood to the Head songs and X&Y songs and i kind of like the way his voice sounded on the A Rush tracks. I mean i love how his voice sounds on X&Y but sometimes it sounds over produced. But i guess it just shows how Chris' voice is growing!!I love their music no matter what!!!Just a thought!!What do you guys think or hear??

i really agree with you. i prefer the vocals on a rush... as well, though i'm not annoyed of his voice on x&y. i just think, as already mentioned, x&y overdid the falsetto a bit

I don't like the progression of his voice. I think he sings more pure and better on "Parachutes".

It's probably not the best vocals Chris ever did, but I agree with you. I love the way he sings and brings out the 'feeling' of each songs.

i much prefer his voice on parachutes and AROBTTH, but i have to say that i think it was best on parachutes for some unknown reason. i personally love his voice most in "shiver." i dont really know why.

Exactly. :) I love Shiver so much!! I can feel the emotion in the song and that he sings it from his heart. :nice:

I have to say that I prefer his voice in Parachutes.

But Chris' voice still amazes me...it is so pure.

Yes, the song 'Shiver' you can really tell he means what he is singing...

I wonder who he wrote it for...maybe all those girls that turned him down in high school. I bet they are sitting at home right now thinking; "If only I were with Chris, I could be rich and famous"

Much like what I am doing right now!

I like his voice in all the albums, but where it soudns better is in AROBTTH, then X & Y and then in parachutes, in parachutes I like shiver, but the falsettos in X & Y sounds much bettter because I think he has taken some lessons, but X & Y live versions he sings one note higher or I don't know how and doesnt sound better than in teh album. I love the high notes and falsettos of square one and of low. But sometimes, like in parachutes he sounds so small. But did you know that you cant sing very well if you are jumping, rolling, lied down or sit? I don't know if there are ways of singing sit but if you look for videos where chris doesn't move and he is stand up, you ll se he sounds great. Like here, he is playing the piano but i think he should always sound like this time

Well, I don't like moments, when his voice is going so high. Especially, when he is not singing clear. But I think it's very hard to sing sounds, which are not in your intonation, and you need to be focus in 100%. It's a concert and fans can't be sleeping during it, so he doesn't allow them to do that. Come on, try sing clear when you're jumping and dancing and doing crazy things with guitar. It's almost impossible. Especially, when you're singing in falsetto.

But it is amazing, when he's sitting in front of piano, his eyes are closed and he's singing CLEAR. I like his expression and vein on his neck ^^"

And you're right. Parachutes era was probably the best for him. He was fresh and focus on singing. Great time...

• 8 years later...

To me, his voice has been improving over the EPs and Parachutes (although i still love it very much there, especially its innocence and vulnerability) to reach its peak during AROBTTH and X&Y, and has since declined, first slowly (you can hear the strain already in some VLVODAAHF songs), then more clearly in MX and in GS and AHFOD it has declined beyond hope :(

• Like 1

While I love all Coldplay albums, I can definitely see what your saying. I think that's one of the reasons they're production has become more, for lack of a better word "sugary" over the last few albums. Perhaps he should take a page from a band called the helio sequence, the singer damaged his vocal chords and had to relearn how to sing. This changed his entire singing style but led to an amazing evolution in sound. Maybe we should tell Chris he doesn't have to cover up his voice so much with production, and instead he could learn to sing different while still keeping the "Coldplay" sound. Just my two cents

• Like 1

Maybe we should tell Chris he doesn't have to cover up his voice so much with production, and instead he could learn to sing different while still keeping the "Coldplay" sound. Just my two cents

I don't think we need to tell him anything lol. I'm sure they have ample personnel that will take care of any member if they're having any real vocal issues. I wouldn't expect him to sound like he did 15 years ago. I believe he can still deliver vocals but I don't think he particularly cares about being a "good" singer anymore, or at least during most performances. At some point if someone sits his ass down in a radio station and makes him play a song or two you'll see.

just listen to this cover

this was 3 months ago and he sounds incredible

I think what is weird with his voice lately is that one gig he sounds great and the next just awful

that was one hell of an acoustic performance. the whole gig sounded fantastic!

you know, i've read earlier interviews where chris would preserve his voice before gig by not speaking at all and using something to write on to communicate. one feature even said that ot made him look child-like or special needs! hahaa! i don't think he practices that any more. along with aging effects maybe even small changed habits like these make a difference now.

that was one hell of an acoustic performance. the whole gig sounded fantastic!

you know, i've read earlier interviews where chris would preserve his voice before gig by not speaking at all and using something to write on to communicate. one feature even said that ot made him look child-like or special needs! hahaa! i don't think he practices that any more. along with aging effects maybe even small changed habits like these make a difference now.

the biggest problem is that no one knows what is the problem with his voice