✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Vampire Weekend

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and i totally forgot to mention. i got there early and watched their soundcheck :)

:stunned:

How early did you have to get there to be able to see the soundcheck??

I was a tad surprised when you said the crowd took a while to warm up, at the show I went to the electricity was there from the second the band walked on stage to the second they finished their encore! Glad you had a good time though! :)

ok here is a proper review

i left uni at about 4 and got to the venue by 5 and there were about 10 hardcore fan girls lined up in front of the doors so we decided to wonder around for a bit. when we walked past the venue for the second time around 5-15 we heard them soundchecking California English and then they did Cousins. by that stage the fan girls reaslised they were soundchecking so they surrounded us and starting screaming which drove us away. after having dinner and visiting some record stores we returned to line up at about 7-00 while Cloud Control were soundchecking Gold Canary and that other good song they have.

anyways we got inside about 7-40ish and headed up to the bar to hang out for a bit until cloud control came on by which time there was a considerable crowd inside. aside from a couple of songs i quite enjoyed the cloud control but i dont see myself racing out on friday to buy their debut. the place was basically packed by 9-30 when vampire weekend hit the stage the crowd went nuts. to be honest i hardly remember the setlist. all i remember is that Blakes got a new face and cousins did go down well but didnt quite reach the level of ecstasy and crowd participation i was expecting. but we got to the last song of the main set, Oxford Comma. holy crap!!!! the place fucking exploded with energy. the moshpit really got going for the first time on a cold cold sydney night and the band really fed off it and responded equally. then they walked off stage for the encore and once again the crowd went berserk and became so insanely loud my ears felt like they were bleeding. then the boys came back on and did Horchata brilliantly, then Mansard Roof. i had no idea how the sets had been recently so i was worried they werent going to do Walcott. then before you know it there it was, Walcott and just when i thought it couldnt any better they do Cape Cod. and i was absolutely floored. pure awesomeness! haha

so basically it was a great gig, but i wasnt really connecting with the band for almost half of the set. loved it but ive been to better.

They played Cape Cod last? They played it 3rd in Melb, interesting. Walcott is such a good closer though! Good to hear you enjoyed it, Cloud Control really impressed me, going to buy their album tomorrow. How nuts did everyone go for A-Punk! Crazy! And Oxford Comma, best song ever.

Hmm, I can imagine that Cape Cod worked well as last song... But yeah I agree I think I'd prefer Walcott as closer! I can't even remember which songs the crowd went nuts at the most, it was pretty non-stop for me :awesome:

Listening an interview of them right now on Triple J :D

I had a listen, they say this new song is "different to anything they have done before, with 12-string guitar..." recorded at the end of last year.

Vampire Weekend explain Twilight contribution

Vampire Weekend are one of an array of great bands who'll debut new material on the soundtrack to the upcoming Twilight movie, "Eclipse".

They told Tom and Alex how their contribution came about.

"It's called 'Jonathan Low', and we recorded it I guess towards the end of last year. It's kind of amazing that we actually found the time to do it. It was like the craziest time for us, cos we were working to get Contra out, and then we also just threw another song on. It's pretty different than anything we've done before, and I guess we kinda looked at it as... you know, being that it's going to be on a soundtrack to a movie, why not try something slightly different? So there's this cool twelve-string guitar part that Rostam's playing, and I think, yeah, it might surprise people a little bit."

Also contributing exclusive material to the "Eclipse" soundtrack are Muse, Florence and the Machine, Sia and The Dead Weather. It's due for release on June 8.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s2901274.htm

att: Aussie VW fans

did anyone see the vw special on video hits this morning? they showed a special acoustic performance vampire weekend did in the channel 10 studios. i watched and recorded White Sky and Im Going Down (which i think is a bruce springsteen cover). according to the video hits website they performed A-punk also.

i will try and upload the videos straight after my exams.

Ahh, I was at work. Look forward to your uploads though, good luck with the exams!

Also, finally got to uploading videos from the VW concert last Tuesday in Brisbane - just a warning though, I literally couldn't keep my phone still (not for lack of trying! :P) and most of them are on their side... but still, if you're interested they're here.