✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Lyrics

nmsv

It's very close, but I still don't like this bit:

My love's opposed but unfolds

Does it really sound like that to you? That word sounds nothing like "opposed"...and anyway, what on earth does that phrase mean? :P I can't hear anything that sounds like an S in that word, so I doubt it's "opposed". I think we'll need to wait for the official word on that one, unless someone has a major insight.

To me it sounds like "opposed". I can hear appo- (how i would pronounce it) and the -sed right at the end. What it means is open to interpretation like the rest of the lyrics.

Edit: Also, I still think he must be saying "Honor", not "Armor", just because that makes so much more sense. And I think he says "And" right before "If you love me Won't you let me know?" the first 2 times; it's hard to hear because it only lasts a moment.

It is armour. I can hear Ar- the M and no N (pronounced armer). I can't hear the "And" in the first but I agree there is an "And" in the second.

I'm still unsure about the "And the fog, became God" line. I can't hear the g of "fog". That line sounds more like "And the force, became God" but I'm not sure.

Anyway here's where we are at now (I have too much time on my hands:P)

Was a long and dark December

From the rooftops i remember

There was snow

White snow

Clearly i remember

From the windows they were watching

While we froze down below

When the future's architectured

By a carnival of idiots on show

You'd better lie low

If you love me

Won't you let me know?

When the banks became cathedrals

And the fog

Became God

Priests clutched onto bibles

Hollowed out to fit their rifles

And the cross was held aloft

Bury me in armour

When i'm dead and hit the ground

And If you love me

Won't you let me know?

I don't want to be a soldier

Who the captain of some sinking ship

would stow, far below

So if you love me

Why'd you let me go?

I took my love down to violet hill

There we sat in the snow

All that time she was silent still

So if you love me

Won't you let me know?

If you love me,

Won't you let me know?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to figure out what lyric comes after 'and hit the ground', please download this:

http://coldplayviolethill.googlepages.com/VioletHilllyricsexcerpt.mp3

I've tried to extract the vocals as far as possible, timestreched the sample, etc. It's all in the file.

I'm still not sure about the whole lyric, but I think I hear 'My nerves are X', not 'My love's X'

Yeah, I don't hear "fog" either. I hear "frost became God", I'm like 80% sure there's an "s" sound at that point, but again, not totally sure.

It's definitely "my love's" not "my nerves"...I definitely heard the "l" sound, so that's for sure...

And I still hear it as "My love's a pond that unfroze"....sry for posting the same line thrice, but i just believe it that much lol. If it isn't that, I give up lol.

I'm still unsure about the "And the fog, became God" line. I can't hear the g of "fog". That line sounds more like "And the force, became God" but I'm not sure.

Perhaps a hidden Star Wars meaning? :confused:;)

Hehe! :)

These are the lyrics Panic posted, which most people are agreeing are correct, and if you listen to the song following these, it makes a ton of sense. So thanks, Panic!!!!

From the rooftops I remember

There was snow, white snow

Clearly i remember

When the future's architectured

You'd better lie low

If you love me

Won't you let me know?

And the fog, became God

Hollowed out to fit their rifles

Bury me in armor

When I’m dead and hit the ground

If you love me

Won't you let me know?

Would stow, far below

So if you love me

Why'd you let me go?

There we sat in the snow

So if you love me

Won't you let me know?

If you love me,

Won't you let me know?

My version

Surely I'm no expert in decrypting vocals, but, nevertheless:

From the rooftops I remember

There was snow

White snow

Clearly I remember

When the future's [an] architecture

You'd better lie low

If you love me

Won't you let me know?

And the frost

Became God

And rolled out to fit their rifles

Bury me in armour

When I'm dead and hit the ground

My love's a pond that unfroze

If you love me

Won't you let me know?

With the captain of some sinking ship

With stone, far below

So if you love me

Why'd you let me go?

There we sat in snow

So if you love me

Won't you let me know?

If you love me,

Won't you let me know?

Surely by now there's no perfect variants (:confused:), but this is the one I think mostly like to be. :)

I think we'll have to wait until either the sheet music with lyrics comes out or the band release the lyrics. The line I'm stuck on is:

-And the (force/forts/fog/frost) , Became (God/gone)

Nah, I disagree with all those changes.

The only thing I'm not sure about is fog/frost/whatever..

So do I about the fog/frost/f[?], but, personally, I think that frost is more logical. By the way, at least I know, that it's definitely not FROG who became god. :D

ok, i feel like i got my answer to the whole "stow/snow" line thing:

Would stow

Far below

*whoo*. OK, that one's sorted for me. that makes the most sense out of anything else so far, i think. off to consider the whole "unfolds" bit and the "fog/god" line, which is bothering me.

ok, i feel like i got my answer to the whole "stow/snow" line thing:

Would stow

Far below

*whoo*. OK, that one's sorted for me. that makes the most sense out of anything else so far, i think. off to consider the whole "unfolds" bit and the "fog/god" line, which is bothering me.

Thats definitely what that line is. It hit me that it was that 1.5 days ago i think, but someone had already posted it.

I'm still confused about all the 'unfolds' business though.

If they use similar artwork to the ones seen in iGoogle for the lyrics booklet, that would make me very happy. It seems too cool and original to waste, don't you think? I refuse to believe it was created just for Google, anyway.

Even if they don't use that in the end, it would still be nice to have them publish the official lyrics one way or the other, to eliminate ambiguities.

if they don't publish it SOMEWHERE then i think we better polish our pitchforks and light our torches, because it's so beautiful and awesome that they better NOT have just created it for a website they never used or for something commercial like igoogle.

i kind of want them to put the cemetaries of london one in particular on a tshirt...:D

Most lyrics of the first two albums were on the Live 2003 DVD, but never before they officially released lyrics in a booklet or something.

It would be very nice though if they would add the lyrics for Viva la Vida, so we won't need to discuss every song here :P

I'm really starting to think that one line is "My legs are posed, unfolds". That's what it sounds like on my headphones, at least, and it fits with the two lines before, I think. But on my surround sound, it sounds like "My love's a poem, it unfolds".

I think there definitely needs to be an "it" there if it's the poem one, "My love's a poem, unfolds" really doesn't work, imo. Though the first idea I wrote also has the same problem, and there's no way he says "they unfold"...

Have to say, the lyrics are definitely what's kept me listening to the song so much over the past few days. Not that the actual song's not great, but the lyrics are incredible.

The Fog/Fuzz God/Gone disscusion is impossible to solve. And the "My love's opposed but unfolds (what the hell means that??)" issue its impossible too. So we must wait to read the booklet lyrics. Oh wait! Coldplay booklets never had included the lycs! But maybe it was because Chris hated its own lyrics (comprensible) but this time he could more satisfied with them. Violet Hill's are by far the best he ever wroted.