✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Lyrics

nmsv

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really starting to think that one line is "My legs are posed, unfolds". That's what it sounds like on my headphones, at least, and it fits with the two lines before, I think. But on my surround sound, it sounds like "My love's a poem, it unfolds".

I think there definitely needs to be an "it" there if it's the poem one, "My love's a poem, unfolds" really doesn't work, imo. Though the first idea I wrote also has the same problem, and there's no way he says "they unfold"...

Have to say, the lyrics are definitely what's kept me listening to the song so much over the past few days. Not that the actual song's not great, but the lyrics are incredible.

That's possible. I like it either way. He mentions poetry on ASARY too, and you know Chris loves repeating themes in his lyricss.

And

I guess I'm going to increase my VH listening so I can contribute to the thread.:lol:

Maybe this is just my imagination, but I know artists - they like to play tricks on everyone! But of course, some of these are 'tricks of the mind', so what is recorded as "official" lyrics really is close, but isn't spot-on usually.. So, what you hear, and what they say - trust your ears and your heart..

So, words are often merged, or lack clear definition on purpose - in the spirit of the medium, it keeps the mystery alive, and this adds to the music - a beautiful game for the mind to decipher.:) LOL!

I can't hear a /s/ sound, nor a /st/ sound(I think someone said 'frost', which I'm pretty sure is incorrect), so I think it says 'fog'.

Dazin, I think you're mistaken. It's an /ai/ sound not an /әʊ/ or an /ɒ/ like on the other verses like that one.

The 'my love's opposed but unfolds' verse is tricky... I don't know what it says but I definitely hear a /z/ sound in the 'opposed' word.

Someone on the other forum thought it was, "My love' s a nose, that blows" - I wish it was that :P

Fancy the first song they've released from the new album having lyrics on that we can't understand - lyrics debates already! Suppose it adds to the character of the song, like Chris' self-confessed mumbling on The Scientist and a few other tracks (Is that Chris apostrophe in the right place - any Apprentice fans here know the answer to that?)

I think it's funny that everyone's saying these are some of Chris's greatest lyrics even though most of us actually don't KNOW them,lol.

I found this on youtube, and it looks pretty accurate. I'm 100% committed to the fog/god line now because it makes perfect sense with the banks becoming CATHEDRALS!

Check it out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCrJo5O5gM

except for the "armor/honor" thing and the "unfolds" part, which is what we've been debating about for the past 10 pages or something, lol.

I've only read about half the posts...sorry,lol. I still think it's 'armour', but that unfold part is still not making sense to me at all. Guess we'll have to wait for the website/booklet/whatever.

yeah, i think its armour too, i mean it sounds more like it than honor, but honor just makes wayy more sense....to me anyways...i mean why would you bury someone in armour if hes already dead?

yeah, i think its armour too, i mean it sounds more like it than honor, but honor just makes wayy more sense....to me anyways...i mean why would you bury someone in armour if hes already dead?

Maybe it means putting on the armour before battle.

You bury someone with honours, not on honours.

I think it's in honour. That way it has more sense; it means to 'cover with honour' or to 'hold someone in respect', which goes better with the line of 'when I'm dead and hit the ground'

^^ I'm agree with Dee..

and I'm still doubting about the part that says:

I don't want to be a soldier

With the captain of some sinking ship

With snow, far below

I still hear "of stone, far (or is it "down"?) below.."

You bury someone with honours, not on honours.

I think it's in honour. That way it has more sense; it means to 'cover with honour' or to 'hold someone in respect', which goes better with the line of 'when I'm dead and hit the ground'

o crap, my bad, typo...:rolleyes:

Okay.. about the 'fog/god' line.. I thought I heard 'fraud'..

so it was like this:

'when the fraud/became god'.

Makes much more sense.

regarding the soldier bit, I'm very confident that it's 'I don't want to be a soldier/ Who the captain of some sinking ship would stow/far below' because it was ina news article... just my 2 cents though

I always feel bad posting in this thread since it feels like arguing when I do, but 'with' makes more grammatical sense than 'who', and when you look at the banks becoming cathedrals, the fog (over those banks) becoming god makes sense, at least from a writer's point of view. (imo only)

Lyrics are like bird calls - never really quite what is really being said..

I don't wanna be a solider, who the captain of some sinking ship with (stowe/stole/stone), far below.. I hear stowe, but stone makes the most sense.

Perhaps though, Harriet Beecher Stowe? Stowe Vermont?

Bury me in honor when I'm dead & hit the ground. My love's opposed.. unfolds.

The Race to Captain a Sinking Ship... about how the candidates are out-of-touch here.

You gotta love lyrics discussions. ;)

What I hear:

"Was a long and dark December

when the banks became cathedrals

and the fog became god

Bury me in armour

when I'm dead and hit the ground

my love's a poem that unfolds"

and

"I don't wanna be a soldier

who the captain of some sinking ship

would stow far below"

Stow makes more sense than snow, at any rate. I think the main dispute is what Chris says after "soldier" and before "the captain". That's a difficult sound to interpret there ... :confused: