✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Is Poor

Choldplayer

this is crazy. i personally think the song is amazing. i absolutely hate nickleback and to see someone compare this to them is sickening. this song is beautiful and it is pretty different from other coldplay stuff. they warned it would be different and it is. i completely agree with zemy... if you want old coldplay, listen to old coldplay! to say this song is bad or POOR is just wrong.

Not everyone will love it, like Coldplay said, and it's a free forum to express those views. If someone had said 'If you like this song you're a c**t' like in another thread, THAT would be wrong.:)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ONE song. Chill out people. And besides, it's the first time we all have heard it. It's not immediately that you just instantly love a song some times, it takes time to really listen to it and accept it. Don't forget, another song on the album is said to have 'Spanish influence' as well as other different sounds.

Geez, I thought I was a pessimist, but Christ, have some faith!

i have to say it sound like Tears for fears - closest thing to heaven song....lol but i like it....i mean on my best day i couldnt composed anything like that.....also to add it kinda reminds me of How you see the world No. 2

Okay, so Violet Hill isn't my favourite Coldplay song of all time. Not surprising since it's been out for only 9 hours! All of their other songs have history and memories associated with them so they're already one up. But the song certainly rings in a time of change and indicates that Viva la Vida will be fucking awesome.

When the first single comes out I tend to over listen and then I'm just tired of it. I'm trying hard not to do that this time around but it's stuck in my head so I'm failing :(

Can't wait for the album and A Spell A Rebel Yell next week.

I'm amazed - having listened to this song on repeat for hours I find this and everyone does appear to be shitting on it. You're all saying it's too 'mainstream' - honestly, compare this to Speed of Sound and you'll be eating your words. If I'm disappointed about anything with it it's that they didn't get rid of the falsetto and the piano totally, so I don't know what all you hardcore conservative Coldplay fans are complaining about. And converting the Nickelback fans is wishful thinking - maybe it's a bit heavier than their previous records, but it's not so different it'll convert those assholes.

it's definitely a great song, love the rocking to it. have to admit, the distorted guitar is a bit too much for me. the reason ive always preferred coldplay is because their music sounds kinda atmospheric and well -- cold! haha. im assuming thats why they liked their band name.

but yeah....it's definitely grown on me, and i like it even more than when i first heard it. but i think overall it's not going to have a super long shelf life - it's too short, not really any huge chorus (just a break), and admittedly not as "avant garde" as i was expecting. to tell you the truth it reminds me too much of a muse song - especially johnny's solo ... like "supermassive black hole" or something. which is ok, cause i love muse, but i never really considered their sound all that different.

however it's a good first single and i'm sure the album will be amazing.

You cannot compare this song to past coldplay songs and judge it based on that. They have many amazing songs, and Violet Hill is the newest edition. It is just different from the other stuff and that's refreshing. Yes Clocks is amazing, as is In My place etc... but so is Violet Hill. It's just amazing in a different way.

And of course as is the case with most coldplay songs, it is difficult to fall in love with it on the first or even second listen, but after a while you begin to grasp the true amazingness of the song.

Guest LiquidSky
I think it might be an odd choice for a single, but I have to say it certainly outlines the change in their sound well. They've been saying for a while now, that the music is going to more oblique, and that not all the songs will have a typical song structure. You were prepared.

I personally really like it. Its definitely a grower, I find it hard to see what is so bad about it. A stylistic change, yes, but this is the band's FOURTH album we're talking about. If you're looking for soaring choruses and melodic hooks, they've got 3 albums pack full of those.

yeah, I also agree that it's a bit odd choice for a first single.. but overall, I do like it. I love all the first 3 albums but after hearing this first song.. I think I'm going to like the rest of the album def. Coldplay has so many 'slow, romantic, catchy and melodies..' that hearing something different from them it's refreshing.

it's understandable if someone doesn't like the song on the outset

especially if they were expecting a Parachutes/A Rush Of.. type track

i was surprised myself at how it sounded when i first listened, and didn't think much of it.

but reading along with the lyrics somehow make the music sound sweeter and i accepted it, it sunk in.

the key is playing it with a pair (or triad or quartet or quintet) of speakers, at volume 11 for maximum impact.

maybe not 11, but loud enough.

make sure the bass settings are good and i'll find it hard for any Coldplay fan to not be blown away.

play it loud and let it sink in, i say.

Just to chip in here: I love the song. Such a change in pace compared to their other stuff...a sort of back-to-basics, earthy feel. Absolutely amazing! If the rest of VLV is anything like Shiver or Yellow, I'll be absolutely content.

Also, are we sure this is THE first single? Well, I know it technicall is, but I mean, it's not necessarily getting a proper release. I just figured this was a hype builder until late May-ish and then we'd get a real physical release of 42 or something. Something like Keane did with Atlantic and then Is It Any Wonder just prior to the album release. Maybe I missed something along the way.

They wrote a song that will sell. Plain and simple. I have a feeling this song will attract Nickelback, and other mainstreamers to the realm of Coldplay. Personally, I just hope this is a one-time deal for them and the rest of the album is more indie.

Newsflash....Coldplay is mainstream. :laugh3:

Don't get me wrong. I like most of this song, the lyrics, the piano lines, the drums, just not the guitar. I like the darker style, and I think if they can maintain that throughout the album... without the heavy guitar, I have a feeling it will be a gr

Thank you! Finally some voices of reason...why does it seem like over time more people are saying they don't like it? It is the opposite for me, the more I hear it the more in love with it I become.:)

LMFAO!!!

Guest LiquidSky
It's ONE song. Chill out people. And besides, it's the first time we all have heard it. It's not immediately that you just instantly love a song some times, it takes time to really listen to it and accept it. Don't forget, another song on the album is said to have 'Spanish influence' as well as other different sounds.

Geez, I thought I was a pessimist, but Christ, have some faith!

haha this made me laugh:laugh3:

I'll be honest, the first time i heard this song i was like, "Huh? :confused:" I wasn't really paying attention because i had to leave for school that second, and it was hard to concentrate on the melodies and etc. But it's definately growing on me. It's full of resentment and agnst, and im a teenager so i know all of those things quite well. :P

But im tired of people complaining about it. It's one song. The total number of songs from their first 3 LPs is 32/ 33 counting Kingdom Come. And I'll tell you right now that I don't like ALL of them. Reserve judgment until you get the whole 4th LP.