✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Is Poor

Choldplayer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree - to an extent. I wish they'd stick more to their old formula; or at least to the last 30 seconds of the song. I thought the lyrics were quality, but what the hell is with the guitar style? Sounds like Coldplay's selling out a bit...

I have to agree - to an extent. I wish they'd stick more to their old formula; or at least to the last 30 seconds of the song. I thought the lyrics were quality, but what the hell is with the guitar style? Sounds like Coldplay's selling out a bit...

i agree, the last seconds are better..

Well Coldplay did let us know that not everyone will like their album, and that it won't sound like their previous "trilogy." But you know what? I think the song is unique! Kinda lagging in the beginning, which I thought could have been replaced with words instead of instrumental sound. But I think the song overall is nicely done. It's different, that's for sure.

They wrote a song that will sell. Plain and simple. I have a feeling this song will attract Nickelback, and other mainstreamers to the realm of Coldplay. Personally, I just hope this is a one-time deal for them and the rest of the album is more indie.

I just cant get whats going on with it. It totally drags and is dirgy. What happened to brill soaring choruses like In My Place and Yellow?!?!?!? :-(

You know,the small piano bit at the end is the best bit

Very,very disappointed.

Agreed. I'm not VERY disappointed, though, just slightly. I hope everyone keeps in mind we've got like 9 or 13 more songs that we haven't heard yet, so this is a mere 10% max. I'm sure if you look back to the other albums you'll see there are mediocre songs that you would have been disappointed with had they released them as singles.

They wrote a song that will sell. Plain and simple. I have a feeling this song will attract Nickelback, and other mainstreamers to the realm of Coldplay. Personally, I just hope this is a one-time deal for them and the rest of the album is more indie.

I have a hard time understanding what makes mainstream rock popular, so I have no Earthly idea whether this will be popular with the Avril Lavigne/Nickelback/Hoobastank/Bullcrap fans. But it would be funny if it turned out to be.

i wouldn't say violet hill is "poor," nor would i use the word "disappointed" for me, but i kind of really see where everyone is coming from. even though i really, really like the song for what it is, i have to say that i was expecting something really different, and i'm worried that VLVOD will just be X&Y 2.0. apparently this is the hardest of the songs on the album, and jo whiley did say today that fans of coldplay's oldest material like "shiver" and "yellow" (she cited those two examples specifically) would especially love VLVOD, so i'm staying optimistic.

i like the song, though. i like it a hell of a lot. i want to state that again. i just hope the album is varied in style, yet still cohesive. and that they're not forgetting where they came from and the sound that everyone loved so much from the start. i don't want them to make an AROBTTH 2.0 either (well, not really :sneaky:), but i just need to keep reminding myself that this is just ONE SONG and not the entire ALBUM, so i think maybe we should reserve our judgements about their new direction until we know more about it.

i dont think is mediocre. youre indie fans. im a all kind of rock music lover. i dont like a lot of indie bands. i dont want to tell names but one have a k first and e last.:cool: well you still have the old stuff if you dont like coldplay 2.0. and i dont think this gonna be a popular song cause they change their formula they are not selling themselves. but if i see chris martin dancing with girls in their video im gonna change my mind.

lol, you think coldplay are selling out now? what about ALL of X&Y? i actually think this song (and probably this album) are trying to go back to finding a new sound that fits them.

I mean, if they really wanted to sell more records wouldnt they stick to their old formula? X&Y was the top selling album worldwide in 2005.

i wouldn't say violet hill is "poor," nor would i use the word "disappointed" for me, but i kind of really see where everyone is coming from. even though i really, really like the song for what it is, i have to say that i was expecting something really different, and i'm worried that VLVOD will just be X&Y 2.0. apparently this is the hardest of the songs on the album, and jo whiley did say today that fans of coldplay's oldest material like "shiver" and "yellow" (she cited those two examples specifically) would especially love VLVOD, so i'm staying optimistic.

i like the song, though. i like it a hell of a lot. i want to state that again. i just hope the album is varied in style, yet still cohesive. and that they're not forgetting where they came from and the sound that everyone loved so much from the start. i don't want them to make an AROBTTH 2.0 either (well, not really :sneaky:), but i just need to keep reminding myself that this is just ONE SONG and not the entire ALBUM, so i think maybe we should reserve our judgements about their new direction until we know more about it.

WOAH...creepy! Just as I was reading your post, the part of Jo Wiley's show where she says that was on!!:D

I really like the song, but I see where people are coming from. It's not their best song by any stretch, but it does show Eno's influence. In fact for Eno, it's a little tame,lol. But as was already said, it's a part of a whole, and I think the whole will be amazing.

ANd even though I love their acoustic/piano songs, it's refreshing to me to hear them ROCK a little!!

Just for the record, I'm NOT part of the Nickleback/Avril/Bullcrap set, and I still love the song.:)

I think it might be an odd choice for a single, but I have to say it certainly outlines the change in their sound well. They've been saying for a while now, that the music is going to more oblique, and that not all the songs will have a typical song structure. You were prepared.

I personally really like it. Its definitely a grower, I find it hard to see what is so bad about it. A stylistic change, yes, but this is the band's FOURTH album we're talking about. If you're looking for soaring choruses and melodic hooks, they've got 3 albums pack full of those.

i dont think is mediocre. youre indie fans. im a all kind of rock music lover. i dont like a lot of indie bands. i dont want to tell names but one have a k first and e last.:cool: well you still have the old stuff if you dont like coldplay 2.0. and i dont think this gonna be a popular song cause they change their formula they are not selling themselves. but if i see chris martin dancing with girls in their video im gonna change my mind.

LOLZ! I better not see Bling in this video or I'll puke!:lol:

this is crazy. i personally think the song is amazing. i absolutely hate nickleback and to see someone compare this to them is sickening. this song is beautiful and it is pretty different from other coldplay stuff. they warned it would be different and it is. i completely agree with zemy... if you want old coldplay, listen to old coldplay! to say this song is bad or POOR is just wrong.

this is crazy. i personally think the song is amazing. i absolutely hate nickleback and to see someone compare this to them is sickening. this song is beautiful and it is pretty different from other coldplay stuff. they warned it would be different and it is. i completely agree with zemy... if you want old coldplay, listen to old coldplay! to say this song is bad or POOR is just wrong.

Thank you! Finally some voices of reason...why does it seem like over time more people are saying they don't like it? It is the opposite for me, the more I hear it the more in love with it I become.:)

Come on people. They didnt sell out with that "guitar style". its called distortion, and theyve used it before, just a lot less noticeably. And if your referring to the solo, your just worng. Its a great overall sound and the whole song is brilliant. Just listen to it a few more times before you give up on it, a lot of people hated the sound of X&Y at first, just give it a chance.

To be honest I think every "Violet Hill is poor" thread or post on here is a bit crap, no offence, I mean your entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but as a Coldplay fan I'm not gunna nit pick over "Omg, its like this its like that, it sucks, etc". I'm just gunna sit back and enjoy the single and album for what it is. To be fair, its obvious they weren't gunna come out with a rap album, its still Coldplay yea, and I have never compared their albums to each other really, they are all different in their own way, so what I'm gunna do when I get VLV is sit back and enjoy it - and if I think the album is shit well, guess what - the Coldplay we know and love didn't think it was, so they made it and put it out their so basically - who gives a crap?