✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Is Poor

Choldplayer

The song has disappointed me for these reasons:

Chris Martin said that for this new album (something that must be different of the last "trilogy", as Martin called it) the Piano would be eliminated... But, surprise! The ending of Violet Hill sounds like other typical Coldplay songs (falsetto + piano). In addition of that, I can hear (and I'm sure you too) a piano during all the song.

I've be waiting for a new, modern or innovative sound, but this single is just the same as always (repeated formula). Violet Hill, I'm sure and I expect, it's not the best choise, from Viva la Vida, to be the first single.

And another thing: Chris Martin said also that falsettos would be eliminated. Well, as ocurred with the piano, I can hear the acute voice of Martin sometimes in the song.

The song is simple, with a "sticky" and easy riff. Maybe the distorted guitar is the only good and different thing.

I expect that the complete album will be different to their last discs.

VH is just a good and sticky song, not a masterpiece or the best song of Coldplay.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, as expected, some people wouldn't like the song... That's not surprising really, it's a new tune, different from what they've done before. And even if it was more similar to what they've done before, some people still wouldn't like it... I mean, when was the last time that absolutely everyone agreed on something? Never, heh.

Im not aware of Eno's other work, i should check it out so i can properly debate these things with you. :P

But when Chris Martin said that there was going to be less/no piano and falsetto people flipped out! Those are the things we like from Coldplay. Sure, we want something different, but we still want to be able to identify them. Those are the things that make their sound special.

I just think people expected to much.

I love Eno, but I think he was far more innovative earlier on in his career. I do love VH, but I hope he stretches the other songs on the album more than this one.

But you know.....if you work with eno.....YOU ARE COOL

You should know by now to take what Chris says with a pinch of salt, i.e. "there won't be any piano on the new album". It's creativity - you see what works, you try different things, you have a vision and you use what instruments you think will work best. Try saying you're going to eat a doughnut without licking your lips and see how long it takes before your actually start licking them.

They won't be able to please everyone no matter how hard they try.

It's a no win situation. They'd have have critics going on about how they are boring and always sticking to the same sound if they didn't try something different.

I'd certainly be a LOT less excited about Viva if the first single was similar to something from X&Y.

They won't be able to please everyone no matter how hard they try.

It's a no win situation. They'd have have critics going on about how they are boring and always sticking to the same sound if they didn't try something different.

I'd certainly be a LOT less excited about Viva if the first single was similar to something from X&Y.

Different don't always mean better....

Different don't always mean better....

You're right it doesn't. Again it's a matter of opinion. They are bound to lose some old fans and maybe gain some new ones.

It's about development as musicians too. I'd be more inclined to label them 'sell outs' if they stuck to the same formula album after album.

You're right it doesn't. Again it's a matter of opinion. They are bound to lose some old fans and maybe gain some new ones.

It's about development as musicians too. I'd be more inclined to label them 'sell outs' if they stuck to the same formula album after album.

*nods in agreement*

In this song they're trying to sound too different,this is the biggest problem of this song imho

I agree, we could all debate 'til the cows came home but at the end of the day it is different and it won't appeal to everyone.

In this song they're trying to sound too different,this is the biggest problem of this song imho

That's fair enough :)

I can see why people might not like it.

Suppose you'll have to wait to see how different the rest it is then. The fact they were telling everyone about how it was going to be different to the first 'trilogy' might have led them to release the most 'far out' song to try and emphasise their point.

I cant take all this shit and complaining about VH. I cant understand why people want the same formula, the SAME fukin formula theyve used for ten years. This is the shit that makes everyone hate Coldplay. "ah all the songs sound the same""Very Boring" YAWN"Well to some extent I have to agree with those haters because it is true. Best band in the world. Yeah right, how fukin shit was XY, and that used the so-called magic "formula". All you people are the ones dragging Coldplay down and not letting them succeed. To be perfectley honest, I couldnt care is VLV is shit aslong as they are really brave and trying something new. Something I cant take is it being the same bullshit as their last 3 albums.

And Violet Hill Rocks!!

I cant take all this shit and complaining about VH. I cant understand why people want the same formula, the SAME fukin formula theyve used for ten years. This is the shit that makes everyone hate Coldplay. "ah all the songs sound the same""Very Boring" YAWN"Well to some extent I have to agree with those haters because it is true. Best band in the world. Yeah right, how fukin shit was XY, and that used the so-called magic "formula". All you people are the ones dragging Coldplay down and not letting them succeed. To be perfectley honest, I couldnt care is VLV is shit aslong as they are really brave and trying something new. Something I cant take is it being the same bullshit as their last 3 albums.

And Violet Hill Rocks!!

I'd be perfectly happy if Coldplay kept cranking out ROBTTH clones, but I'm in the extreme minority. If people don't like Violet Hill, that's their thing. But it shouldn't matter one iota because in another week we'll have "A Spell A Rebel Yell" to talk about. And then 10 more songs in a little over a month.

It's just one song, don't freak out. :P

And Violet Hill Rocks!!

We want new sounds, and they have a new sound, but it's NOT A GOOD NEW SOUND, that's what people don't get, you think just cos it's different is good

They wrote a song that will sell. Plain and simple. I have a feeling this song will attract Nickelback, and other mainstreamers to the realm of Coldplay. Personally, I just hope this is a one-time deal for them and the rest of the album is more indie.

your wrong, this is not a selling song! i loved it:P i love the old coldplay sound better, but at some point a band have to change sound. ! live on :P i cant make you love the song, but i can say to you that i think you are rong!