✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Is Poor

Choldplayer

The song has disappointed me for these reasons:

Chris Martin said that for this new album (something that must be different of the last "trilogy", as Martin called it) the Piano would be eliminated... But, surprise! The ending of Violet Hill sounds like other typical Coldplay songs (falsetto + piano). In addition of that, I can hear (and I'm sure you too) a piano during all the song.

I've be waiting for a new, modern or innovative sound, but this single is just the same as always (repeated formula). Violet Hill, I'm sure and I expect, it's not the best choise, from Viva la Vida, to be the first single.

And another thing: Chris Martin said also that falsettos would be eliminated. Well, as ocurred with the piano, I can hear the acute voice of Martin sometimes in the song.

The song is simple, with a "sticky" and easy riff. Maybe the distorted guitar is the only good and different thing.

I expect that the complete album will be different to their last discs.

VH is just a good and sticky song, not a masterpiece or the best song of Coldplay.

remember that chris martin is a human like us! and

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, good evening everybody, greetings from France..

As far as I'm concerned, I though that SPEED OF SOUND was a very weak & boring song... while X&Y has appeared to be one the most brillant album of the last decade..

So Violet Hill being kinda boring, makes me feel pretty confident about VIVA LA VIDA É VIVA LA REVOLUTION AND DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS :o)

Have you ever noticed that " BIG BANDS " release " poor " first single? So when the album is out, they release THE BIG ONE to promote it.. (which is gonna be weeks from now)

Exemple :

Roll With It for Oasis MORNING GLORY

Speed Of Sound for X&Y

in My Place for A Rush of Blood to the Head (In My Place is far to be as good as The Scientist of Clocks)

As i said before that a lot of people are setting themselves up for dissapointment on this album.A lot of people are expecting something like AROBTTH.And now that Violet Hill has come out they are all dissapointed.I love the song and the way their sound it going.Its different and the band have stated that this album was going to be different.This is their experimental album, you should expect that with Brian Eno. It seems like they want to try different things and to say that they sound like Nickelback or even Britney Spears "Toxic" is an insult and I would never think of hearing that from any coldplay fan. But I dont know I kind of have no sympathy for the people who are really bagging the song!

well this is the last time i enter here. VIOLET HILL IS AWESOME NICE CHANGE.IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LISTEN ANOTHER BAND. I HATE INDIE ROCK. COLDPLAY are the only worth it band in that class of music. but with this Coldplay are going to be two steps forward.

i've decided to completely stay away from this thread because i love violet hill and half the stuff you guys are saying is just annoying. music is to be interpreted by the listener. if you don't like it... CRY. find a new band or just stick with their old stuff.

but not just because we like coldplay we have to like EVERYTHING they make, or if we dislike one song then we must find a new band or just listen to the first albums

as you said, music is to be interpreted by the listener, and each one of the will have their own point of view which will have 3 options: like it, dislike it and something in between those two.

It seems like they want to try different things and to say that they sound like Nickelback or even Britney Spears "Toxic" is an insult and I would never think of hearing that from any coldplay fan.

I was totally joking about the Toxic thing. I was making fun of people comparing it to other bands and tracks which it OBVIOUSLY doesn't sound like!

That's fair enough :)

I can see why people might not like it.

Suppose you'll have to wait to see how different the rest it is then. The fact they were telling everyone about how it was going to be different to the first 'trilogy' might have led them to release the most 'far out' song to try and emphasise their point.

If we talk about a development of their sound,i think the main problem is brian eno,they've given to him too much control over this record.

Eno in the studio was like "hey,put some distortion on the guitar and we'll have a vintage sound"!

Honestly,i don't know why they must change their "formula" after 3 album......what's the problem with the use of the piano ? They could developed their sound with the piano,using for example different organ and synths......like the hammond,the moog and the rhodes,this would have been the first step for their musical development. A drastic change is not always a good thing,and this "new sound" is a bad departure imho.

Sure we haven't heard the whole album yet,but like i've said before i think the main problem is the control they have given to eno....for example why we have to listen to some motherfuckin tablas on a coldplay record ? Because eno is a true genius in their eyes. FUCK. They're talented enough to not let him have so much control over the album.

They wrote a song that will sell. Plain and simple. I have a feeling this song will attract Nickelback, and other mainstreamers to the realm of Coldplay. Personally, I just hope this is a one-time deal for them and the rest of the album is more indie.

Ok...so they wrote a song that will sell, and then went on and give it away for free? :stunned:

Let this be a warning, if you are too attached to Coldplay's past stuff, and their past sound, you will likely NOT like the new album. This is not going to be another ARBTH, it's like an all new full ground up redesign of your favorite car. Kinda like newer BMWs.

damn 5 pages in one day, maybe everything I say's already been said but anyway, brievely

- Drums and beat a little like hip hop or so

- Jonys guitar kinda poor actually, he can do way better than that

- Chris, well I also think they should have sticked to the way of the outro, but whatever

In conclusion I think they could do better but it's still or maybe just because I don't let myself dislke the song :p it's ok, I mean not one new song in such a long time...it's like you're dying cause you're starving, they give you something awful to eat, when you're hungry everything tastes good haha

That eno-hater is funny. Do you know him or your just reeeally not a fan?

I really like VH. Its not classic coldplay, but it dosen't claim to be either. And as different as it is from what we're used to, it still has enough coldplayness to like.

I don't understand those who want Coldplay to get rid of the piano and falsetto completely... those two elements define some of CP's most incredible moments. It's like asking an olympic runner to have their legs amputated but still win races..

Keep in mind (incase it hasnt already been said) we were told VH was the strongest of the new songs, so i doubt that VLV will be as "out there" in the same way that VH is.

I posted this in another thread, but it seems to fit best here:

The novelty of Violet Hill has gone.

At the end of the day the lyrics leave a lot to be desired, the song structure is boring and poorly edited leaving a bass line that would fit nicely on any Kaiser Chiefs song. Before you think that's a good thing, it isn't - Kaiser Chiefs are shit.

Violet Hill was a safe bet for Coldplay, leading nicely on to 'bridge the gap' between X&Y and Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends.

If this was the influence Eno had on the band I am starting to wonder what else VLVODAAHF has to offer. Be afraid, be very afraid.

It pains me to say it but this was not worth the wait.

Coldplay are old, tired and have run out of ideas.

I guess I always have Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

It's like asking an olympic runner to have their legs amputated but still win races..

bresc, probably not the best example...

i've decided to completely stay away from this thread because i love violet hill and half the stuff you guys are saying is just annoying. music is to be interpreted by the listener. if you don't like it... CRY. find a new band or just stick with their old stuff.

I am a massive Coldplay fan, since the Blue Room EP days, however it does not mean that I am going to kiss their collective arses everytime they release some new material. Violet Hill is boring and could have been so much more. You say 'music is to be interpreted by the listener', which is what we're doing isn't it? Giving our own interpretation? Finally, there is no need to bark orders 'if you don't like it... CRY. find a new band or just stick with their old stuff' because at the end of the day VLVODAAHF could be amazing, but it still does not detract away from the fact VH is a poor song, when compared to their other releases.

I would'nt say its poor, but its definately not the coldplay we are familiar with nor is it the one I fell in love with many years ago...

I loved the eno-ish start, but the drums and guitar didn't really do great things for me aswell as the lyrics which Iam finding hard to decipher and relate to, one of the reasons I have loved coldplay since parachutes...However I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the total drop at the ending aswell as the closing lyrics.

That said Iam sure I will come around...as I have with coldplay in the past.

I still have great hopes for VLV:)

I am a massive Coldplay fan, since the Blue Room EP days, however it does not mean that I am going to kiss their collective arses everytime they release some new material. Violet Hill is boring and could have been so much more. You say 'music is to be interpreted by the listener', which is what we're doing isn't it? Giving our own interpretation? Finally, there is no need to bark orders 'if you don't like it... CRY. find a new band or just stick with their old stuff' because at the end of the day VLVODAAHF could be amazing, but it still does not detract away from the fact VH is a poor song, when compared to their other releases.

But by that same token you can't just dismiss a song as 'poor'. I personally think it is much better when compared to their other releases, so it's all a matter of opinion and it would be great if people could just give Violet Hill a chance without having a bitchfest about how they've changed - they've already warned you about that months ago, so you can't really complain. And nobody's asking you to kiss their arses, you could always just not listen to it and save the bitching for somewhere where the majority of people don't like the song.

Love the new single. God forbid they rock out a little, instead of giving us tinkly piano ballad #56. Or release whiny tripe like In My Place (A stain on an otherwise brilliant record).

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that!Amen.

Except the 'In my place' part,lol

I agree with this whole sentiment. BTW, awesome songs on your myspace, bro. You sound like a more honest version of John Mayer or Jack Johnson. I'd spend money on it.