✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Jul-08: Las Vegas - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the guys have done it again! Another completely different setlist!

so basically Viva la Vida Tour is like a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you're gonna get!

and that's amazing!

cheers

dont go overboard..they are switching 2 songs a night at most.

I was there

i was watching a video on you tube and u can hear two chris' singing.........is he using playback(or whatever its called)......cause if he is i feel really bad:cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fEDrVaHd2Q&feature=related

I was at the concert. It was wonderful. I sat in the section (5 seats from) where he choose to sing Green Eyes. No playback. I have seen the phone recordings on Youtube and they are terrible. What can you expect from a phone though? It was an amazing show - funny how he forgot some lyrics - good thing we were singing so loud. He said "Oh my gosh that's so embarrassing". :D

Different Perspective

In my opinion, Coldplay began touring its new album too early. Don't get me wrong, I respect the band's decision to perform so many songs from its new album. And I'm not necessarily expecting a "perfect" performance every outing. (In fact, Coldplay's humility is one trait that really draws me to the band.) But during so many points throughout the Las Vegas concert, vocals were completely drowned out by instruments, feedback distorted entire songs, lyrics were missed (how do you forget lyrics to Speed of Sound when you've performed it every night for the past week and throughout a previous tour). I'm not questioning the guys' passion or talent for one second, but the live performance didn't do Coldplay justice. I'm not sure whether this was the same crew that's been with the band on past tours, but the production side of the evening was reflective of a mid-level band. Don't get me wrong, the butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan, singing two songs from the upper deck, the giant circular video screens- these were all nice touches. (And some of the new songs, especially Lovers in Japan and Death and All His Friends, are quickly becoming some of my all-time favorites.) But if Las Vegas' show was representative of the other four shows performed so far in the tour, then something's not quite right with this show, from an overall production standpoint. Does anyone on the website agree with me, or did I just completely miss it last night?

I was at the concert. It was wonderful. I sat in the section (5 seats from) where he choose to sing Green Eyes. No playback. I have seen the phone recordings on Youtube and they are terrible. What can you expect from a phone though? It was an amazing show - funny how he forgot some lyrics - good thing we were singing so loud. He said "Oh my gosh that's so embarrassing". :D

cool thanks...........i feel much better now :D

In my opinion, Coldplay began touring its new album too early. Don't get me wrong, I respect the band's decision to perform so many songs from its new album. And I'm not necessarily expecting a "perfect" performance every outing. (In fact, Coldplay's humility is one trait that really draws me to the band.) But during so many points throughout the Las Vegas concert, vocals were completely drowned out by instruments, feedback distorted entire songs, lyrics were missed (how do you forget lyrics to Speed of Sound when you've performed it every night for the past week and throughout a previous tour). I'm not questioning the guys' passion or talent for one second, but the live performance didn't do Coldplay justice. I'm not sure whether this was the same crew that's been with the band on past tours, but the production side of the evening was reflective of a mid-level band. Don't get me wrong, the butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan, singing two songs from the upper deck, the giant circular video screens- these were all nice touches. (And some of the new songs, especially Lovers in Japan and Death and All His Friends, are quickly becoming some of my all-time favorites.) But if Las Vegas' show was representative of the other four shows performed so far in the tour, then something's not quite right with this show, from an overall production standpoint. Does anyone on the website agree with me, or did I just completely miss it last night?

i wasnt at the shows but from the videos ive seen i agree with u...........but ive only seen youtube videos and if it sounded the same then like i said ya i agree with you.............but i think its cause they just barely started with the tour and with more concerts they do the better there gonna sound..........SOOOO VIVA COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!!!.....:D

I'm glad you noticed.... I remember hearing people in the audience at the end saying, "OMG, it was SO incredible/awesome/great, etc....And i was like :thinking:

I went to their 2nd show at the Forum in LA and it was really really good... which is why I shelled out over $120 for a pretty good lower seat and drove all the way to Vegas. (and got into a little fender bender on the way and had to sit in the hot sun for over an hour waiting for the hwy patrol..:(.... but I digress..)

All I could remember thinking throughout more than 1/2 of the concert was "Chris Martin is gonna pass out on stage out of either exhaustion or drunkedness" I wasn't sure... and it also looked as if he was losing his voice (but now I understand it might've been an audio problem). I know that there were more than 3 songs that Chris messed up the lyrics (Strawberry Swing, Speed of Sound...etc.. :( ) I was actually nervous that they would actually cancel the concert. I can't remember the song, but it was the one right before "The Scientist" where it looked like Chris didn't wanna sing the last part b/c he was SO exhausted and ran over to the piano while struggling to take off his jacket and slowed it down a bit.... it was kinda....awkward?..

This show was definitely not representative of their 2nd show in LA at least, b/c that was an outstanding performance. In the LA show, Chris was full of energy, was animated, his singing was top notch-he literally did not skip a beat...and the list goes on. But again, my only real conclusion was that the boys were in vegas and they got a little tipsy gambling. (hopefully...) Otherwise, if they're burnt out this early, it's not a good sign for the upcoming concerts.

My other rant was about the majority of the audience. Though there were some good points to the audience (VLV-Ooooh-ing), but overall, the audience sucked. I'm sorry to say, but most were just standing there. Two guys left before the encore and the girl behind me was drunk and annoying. Plus the people up in the very front were disappointing as well....I didn't see much craziness going on up there. It looked as if they were more excited to actually make it up there then they appeared during the concert! :thinking: I really think the band feeds off the audience...which may explain a few things.

Oh well. I did enjoy my time there. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else but experiencing Coldplay that night. Whatever the problem was, I hope it's fixed, whether it's much needed rest, technical problems, whatever.... I'm confident as the tour progresses, things will only get better :smug: Now, I'll just cross my fingers for that phantom Anaheim gig ;)

i wasnt at the shows but from the videos ive seen i agree with u...........but ive only seen youtube videos and if it sounded the same then like i said ya i agree with you.............but i think its cause they just barely started with the tour and with more concerts they do the better there gonna sound..........SOOOO VIVA COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!!!.....:D

I agree. I'm excited to see Coldplay again in November, with 3-4 months of touring under its belt. (And in case I didn't mention it, any Coldplay is better than no Coldplay.) But for a lot fans, $90+ is a lot of money. So when you attend a concert that clearly hasn't been fine-tuned, you have to wonder why a band would schedule a tour so quickly?

If you're going to begin a tour so soon after releasing a new album, then maybe you ease your way into the new material. But based on its current setlist, neither Coldplay nor its crew were ready for this tour.

Great review and assessment, yay_me. Hope everything with the desert fender bender works out alright! I'm inclined to say that exhaustion was playing a factor. The guys had two days off in between the 2nd LA show and San Jose, but one of those "off" days had them doing the Tonight Show and the KROQ house performance, not to mention Chris getting up early for an interview w/ Ryan Seacrest. They've got to be tired. Hopefully these two days in between Vegas and the first Chicago show are truly off days with no other appearances or publicity events scheduled.

Great review and assessment, yay_me. Hope everything with the desert fender bender works out alright! I'm inclined to say that exhaustion was playing a factor. The guys had two days off in between the 2nd LA show and San Jose, but one of those "off" days had them doing the Tonight Show and the KROQ house performance, not to mention Chris getting up early for an interview w/ Ryan Seacrest. They've got to be tired. Hopefully these two days in between Vegas and the first Chicago show are truly off days with no other appearances or publicity events scheduled.

Hello, and Thank You :) I actually felt a little bad for them.. I know Chris sweats a lot, but he was sweating pretty badly early on. Which is why my conclusion would be that he was drunk and now that I think of it, possibly sick. Maybe the 3 years they took off was a bit too much of a good thing in terms of having to resume the rigorous life of touring:) I'm sure it'll only be matter of a few weeks till they're back in the swing of things and will resume playing mindblowing gigs :)

Oh yes in regards to our fender bender.., Actually it was my brother driving his girlfriend's car. Some idiot cut off the guy in front of us, who slammed on his breaks @ a red light and we couldn't react in time and hit the guy in front of us. Of course the idiot that cut us off was fine and sped off when the light turned green, but there we were, left in the sun. My poor brother has to pay for the guys damages, his girlfriend's deductible and to add insult to injury, the cop fined my brother for being too close to the guy in front of him (???) Oh well, sh** happens.

I agree. I'm excited to see Coldplay again in November, with 3-4 months of touring under its belt. (And in case I didn't mention it, any Coldplay is better than no Coldplay.) But for a lot fans, $90+ is a lot of money. So when you attend a concert that clearly hasn't been fine-tuned, you have to wonder why a band would schedule a tour so quickly?

If you're going to begin a tour so soon after releasing a new album, then maybe you ease your way into the new material. But based on its current setlist, neither Coldplay nor its crew were ready for this tour.

by any chance do u live in S.D.

Chris doesn't drink yay_me, so he wouldn't have been drunk.

I'm inclined to think it's exhaustion, he's been looking really tired of late, pushing himself to the limit, plus he's an insomniac.

They've had a pretty gruelling schedule up to now and during gigs he never stops moving, not even for a second. Chances are during these two days off he'll crash out and just sleep, if he realy is as exhausted as everyone thinks he is, someone will say something to him, whether it be his family or his three best mates touring with him.

I bet he's back and livelier than ever tomorrow :)

I'm inclined to think it's exhaustion, he's been looking really tired of late, pushing himself to the limit, plus he's an insomniac.

They've had a pretty gruelling schedule up to now and during gigs he never stops moving, not even for a second. Chances are during these two days off he'll crash out and just sleep, if he realy is as exhausted as everyone thinks he is, someone will say something to him, whether it be his family or his three best mates touring with him.

i agree 110% with what u said.......but whos knows if hes gonna sleep cause he got 2 kids and a wife to be with......but hopefully he does just sleep for the next 2 days....cause gwyneths seems nice and shell let him sleep while shes with the kids :smug:

Hrm.. didn't know that about Chris. Then maybeee...it was drugs..:o haha. Just kidding.

Yeah, someone is bound to say something to him if they really care about his health and not about all the money they're raking in. Hope all goes well.

i don't understand why people cares this much into Chris's family life:rolleyes:

just for 2 hours of show no one in this world will get stressed and that too on that day for Today show when i waited like entire night to the morning to see the show i just got some what weak but after i got to the hotel at NY i slept for 5 hours and i am alright again.

but through out the show they're drinking everything from water to coffee.

Then why does they get tired:rolleyes:

I don't understand some people here though.Very strange.:confused:

and also just for two hours of show they're getting tired oh my god!:o

one thing is clear here some people not necessarily are involving so much into

Chris's family life and also not necessarily like his health care even though if there is need for them or not.

i don't understand the particular reason there.:rolleyes:

CONCERT REVIEW: Coldplay rocks packed arena

Group skilled at making big rooms feel small

He looked like a muscle spasm incarnate, a drunken ballerina, twitching, trembling, leaping, lunging, posing and pinwheeling about the stage, as if his flesh were a prison he was trying to escape from.

Through it all, he smiled like the cat who not only ate the canary, but devoured most of its kin as well.

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin is not prone to small gestures -- he's the kind of guy who favors bear hugs over handshakes, wet kisses over dry eyes -- and his band follows suit: their tunes spin on an axis of melodrama and emotional extravagance, with even their quietest moments tending to build toward something grand and deafening.

As such, they're an ideal arena rock band in an age where increasingly few contemporary acts sound at home in large halls.

But as they demonstrated at a packed MGM Grand Garden on Saturday night, this bunch is skilled at making big rooms feel small.

Part of it is logistics: The band's fond of hurling themselves at the crowd, and at times, they play within arms reach of their adoring fanbase.

Midway through the show on Saturday, the group decamped to a small, illuminated platform on the arena floor, and, huddled together in one another's armpits, they deconstructed a pair of tunes with electronic drums and an enveloping, melodic drone.

Later on in the show, the foursome marched through the crowd to the rafters in the back of the venue, where they played spare, acoustic versions of "Green Eyes" and "Death Will Never Conquer," the latter sung by drummer Will Champion (how's that for a name?).

Proximity aside, the main reason Coldplay seems tailored for cavernous spaces is the songs themselves: they sound as if they were written with stadiums in mind, and indeed, they elicited some soccer-style chants from the raucous, rabid crowd throughout the show.

Plus, Coldplay puts the hammer down on the majority of its catalog live, hence a song like the band's breakout hit, the contemplative, understated ballad "Yellow," grows fangs on stage with the band turning it into a lusty sing-along complete with crashing drums and lots of fists in the air.

During its 90-minute set at the MGM Grand, Coldplay played almost all of its latest album, the dense, searching "Viva La Vida," and rightfully so: it's the band's trickiest, most hard-to-pin down effort, an album that veers from textured soundscapes to exultant art rock.

Moody, dark-hued rocker "Yes" blossomed like a black rose on stage, with Jonny Buckland's guitar ricocheting through the song in haunting arcs, "42" morphed from a porcelain-delicate ballad to a climactic rocker while an organ-fired "Lost!" got the crowd clapping along with hands over their heads.

The band matched its sonic ostentation visually, with a half-dozen large projection globes dangling from the rafters, pistoning up and down.

And during a triumphant-sounding "Lovers in Japan," an ocean of multicolored papier-mâché butterflies rained down from above, marking the crowd feel as if they were caught in the midst of a ticker tape parade.

And in a way they were.

The show felt like an extended victory lap for a band at the peak of its powers, a big, sweaty (and deserving) high-five to the ego.

"I'm just waitin' for the shine to wear off," Martin sang at one point, and if this night was any indication, he'll be waiting a little while longer.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/25677599.html