✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Jul-08: Las Vegas - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That version of Green Eyes is beautiful. He did some cool things with it. And Chris has some new moves I see in the Lost video. Wow, he looks a bit crazy at one point. Had me laughing. I am glad he is using his freedom of expression. It's taken him all these years probably to be able to dance as he wants on stage, so I say "dance like a crazy person Chris. Go for it!"

In my opinion, Coldplay began touring its new album too early. Don't get me wrong, I respect the band's decision to perform so many songs from its new album. And I'm not necessarily expecting a "perfect" performance every outing. (In fact, Coldplay's humility is one trait that really draws me to the band.) But during so many points throughout the Las Vegas concert, vocals were completely drowned out by instruments, feedback distorted entire songs, lyrics were missed (how do you forget lyrics to Speed of Sound when you've performed it every night for the past week and throughout a previous tour). I'm not questioning the guys' passion or talent for one second, but the live performance didn't do Coldplay justice. I'm not sure whether this was the same crew that's been with the band on past tours, but the production side of the evening was reflective of a mid-level band. Don't get me wrong, the butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan, singing two songs from the upper deck, the giant circular video screens- these were all nice touches. (And some of the new songs, especially Lovers in Japan and Death and All His Friends, are quickly becoming some of my all-time favorites.) But if Las Vegas' show was representative of the other four shows performed so far in the tour, then something's not quite right with this show, from an overall production standpoint. Does anyone on the website agree with me, or did I just completely miss it last night?

I'm going to have to agree with you. I only saw their San Jose show on this tour so far, but it was not up to the standard of their previous tour. And yes I thought poor production had a lot to do with it. It did not have the bombast and high level of excellence that the band seemed to reach on the last tour, and as I mentioned in my San Jose review the circular "magic balls" don't quite deliver and certainly don't take the place of the better executed large projection screen of the last tour. And yes I noticed Chris seemed tired, not his usually chatty self and he moved a bit less than usual if you ask me. If he needs to sit at the piano a bit more I would have no objections, but something else just seemed a little off. The band just didn't seem as engaged as I've witnessed them in the past, on the last tour you really got the feeling there was no where else they would rather be than on that stage, it didn't feel like that this time. I was hoping it was just our show, I'm sad to hear its happening elsewhere. A note on the audiences, with the exception of the die hard fans, they are clearly not responding to the new material very well. This didn't happen with X & Y, and if were noticing that, the band is probably noticing it too, which might effect the overall vibe of the show. I don't know, I just hope they work it all out and if need be get some much needed rest.

i gotta admit...from what i've seen from videos ect..im abit dissapointed with the fact with the lights and the back screen. the lights are abit boring...and at some points u cant see the band becos the lights are too dark (please bare in mind i only seen videos...it could be different being there). with the back screen...all i have seen is the the album cover and VIVA like whats on coldplay.com...from the pictures i saw on coldplay.com it looked like they were going to put the other violet hill video while they were playing that...but they havent...

Maybe they'll change it all after a while...who knows

[url=http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=73][/url]Roadie #42 - Blog #12

July 21, 2008 8:38 pm

#42 reports on a magical night in Vegas

news_line.png

San Jose sees set-list tweakage continue. The LA shows have gone very well and feedback has largely been extremely positive. The band, however, aren't really ones for auto-pilot. Everyone is very pleased with the show, but the search for the ultimate knockout punch continues. To this end, Politik is pulled out of storage and gets a good airing. I can't really see the point in ever doing a Coldplay show without it myself. It is truly monstrous live and tonight is no exception. It's very good to see it back! From where I am through the gig it feels like the first utterly solid show. Inevitably, my response to the gig is largely built on whether things have technically worked or not - and tonight is very smooth on that front, which is very gratifying this early in the tour. As soon as we get into the vehicle for the ride home, the band are discussing other ways to improve the flow and refine the set. It's all subtle tweaks, but at this point, improvements are based on many tiny changes, rather than single grand gestures. One more show and then two glorious days off...

We hit the ground in Vegas and Tour Manager Franksy finds the Tannoy mic at the back of the plane to welcome everyone with his finest Elvis impression. Outside the window, the vehicles that meet us have multiplied into a true cavalcade to accommodate the selection of LA's finest who've accompanied us for a Saturday night jolly. Chris remarks that looking out at them on the tarmac makes him feel like the president of soft rock. It's almost the perfect arrival, spoiled only by the minor detail that the steps they've bought for disembarking turn out to be the wrong size. We all sit back down as the man with the ladder-on-a-van turns tail and heads off in search of something that fits.

It seems it's been a tough day for the rest of the crew. When we arrive, I overhear someone on radio saying "I gotta go get breakfast". Given that it's 5pm when we arrive, it seems safe to say it's been a busy day here. After the ten hour drive from loading out in San Jose, the trucks only arrived at 11am, which means they've performed nothing short of miracles to get the show up and ready in only a fraction of the time they usually have. Hats off folks!

Though everyone is happy to be in town, there is a slight concern pre-show. Vegas crowds can be pretty hard to impress. It's not like they're short of options for how to entertain themselves of an evening - and more than that, I think sometimes folks can be just plain over-stimulated. Lets face it, any town that can take in its stride hotels with their own roller coasters, next to pyramids, sphynxes and full-sized pirate ships is going to find a few flashing lights and a pop group pretty uninspiring.

Or are they?

It would appear not! The crowd are utterly bonkers from the off. So much so, that I spend the majority of the evening with one earplug out so I can take in the sound of the crowd. I'm wondering if it's the loudest Viva La Vida singalong so far, or whether it's just that I've never been listening for it before. My question is answered when the song finishes and the crowd simply carry on singing. They roar the chorus on alone and it's utterly wonderful. It's the kind of football chant-style crowd noise that I've only really ever heard before in South America or certain parts of Europe and here they are in a "hard to impress town" giving it loads! Inevitably, the enthusiasm of the crowd drives the band on to new heights. I don't want to spend the whole tour writing "it was a great show" in this journal, but tonight was truly remarkable, it has to be said.

See you in a few days...

R#42

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=73

During Chinese Sleep Chant, Chris sings, obviously. At certain points Guy does as well. Guy's voice is processed through what sounds like a vocoder to make it sound more robotic. It sounds fantastic. It was just a real subtle but brillant addition. That whole song impressed me, actually.

:stunned:

that sounds exciting!!

i gotta admit...from what i've seen from videos ect..im abit dissapointed with the fact with the lights and the back screen. the lights are abit boring...and at some points u cant see the band becos the lights are too dark (please bare in mind i only seen videos...it could be different being there). with the back screen...all i have seen is the the album cover and VIVA like whats on coldplay.com...from the pictures i saw on coldplay.com it looked like they were going to put the other violet hill video while they were playing that...but they havent...

Maybe they'll change it all after a while...who knows

Ive been to the San Jose and Vegas show.And i thought that the lighting show was better last tour.The way they used the screen last year with all the visual effects were awesome.I guess its just a small thing.The important thing is them perorming and maybe they just want to make sure that they perform the songs to the best of their abilities and not get too overboard with the light show.i dont know.But they did use the screen a little more in the Vegas show showing the band on the screen.In the san jose show they only showed the band on the screen during fix you.The used the magic balls mostly for that.The only thing with that is u cant really get a good picture of them on the balls.But it is still early and there have already been little changes in the setlist and use of the big screen.So im sure they will figure it out and get it rolling.

I have videos of:

Viva La Vida

Yellow

God Put A Smile Upon My Face

Green Eyes

Fix You

I also have an audio recording of the entire show, however it was taken with the audio portion of a camera just set on the seat, so the quality isn't great, and it gets bumped and knocked around a lot. Uploading is taking FOREVER, so I will post them if they ever finish.

I don't remember who said something about the Anaheim show on the tour shirt, but was there a date for it? I didn't get to the merch stand because the lines were always so long so I didn't even see the tour shirts. I'm seeing them in Phoenix in November but I really would like to see them again before that.

Here's a few pictures, I was having camera issues so a lot of them are blurry, but here are a couple that came out alright:

n3608584_38695773_219.jpg

n3608584_38695780_1553.jpg

n3608584_38695784_9063.jpg

n3608584_38695790_5143.jpg

n3608584_38695793_7795.jpg

n3608584_38695800_1149.jpg

i think that as far as what i've seen there have been not enough videos from this show!

i wanted to see very good songs like:

Yes

strawberry swing

chinese sleep chant

god put a smile upon your face

death will never conquer me

death and all his friends

escapist

lovers in japan

politik

i think no one here seems to have them.

but i wanted to say i won't mind the quality.

i just want to see the performance that's all.

i only saw Lit,violet hill,clocks(my fav),in my place,scientist(my fav),yellow(my fav),god put a smile upon your face(my fav but only half i saw),fix you,speed of sound,green eyes from the show.

i think that as far as what i've seen there have been not enough videos from this show!

i wanted to see very good songs like:

Yes

strawberry swing

chinese sleep chant

god put a smile upon your face

death will never conquer me

death and all his friends

escapist

lovers in japan

politik

i think no one here seems to have them.

but i wanted to say i won't mind the quality.

i just want to see the performance that's all.

theres a couple of those songs on youtube pallavi :)

theres a couple of those songs on youtube pallavi :)

its there but i need some from exclusively from Vegas show.

i already saw LIT,violet hill,clocks,in my place,viva la vida,yellow,lost,green eyes,god put asmile upon your face,scientist,fix you,speed of sound but not some other which i like really.

Hi guys, im new here =P

I have yhe video of In my place, 42 & The scientist, Yellow , fix you

And i have 3 shorts videos and a lot of pictures when they play Green Eyes because i was just over there whit them!!!!!