✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Sep-2008: SAP Arena, Mannheim - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenjie, do you also need a translation for the new article? You kill me! :D :P

Well perhaps I'll find the time to do it tomorrow. It's a bit longer. :)

Is that true? :stunned: It says that they played a kind of Viennese Walzer music in the background before the show officially started? Why did they do that? Never heard of it before...

I posted it so you lovely people can enjoy. I'm going to try to translate it myself, aber ich habe zu viel Deutsch vergessen!! If you'd like to translate it, that would be ace, but don't feel you have to :D

Is that true? :stunned: It says that they played a kind of Viennese Walzer music in the background before the show officially started? Why did they do that? Never heard of it before...

it is true.

that's why i was asking if the band gets to pick the songs that are played in the background since they also played jay-z. :laugh3:

i don't know the name of the waltz, but it's well-known. uhm... have you watched that simpson episode in which homer is in outer space and tries to eat crisps? it's the song that was played in the background there. :laugh3:

I posted it so you lovely people can enjoy. I'm going to try to translate it myself, aber ich habe zu viel Deutsch vergessen!! If you'd like to translate it, that would be ace, but don't feel you have to :D

I can do it for you, no problem. :)

it is true.

that's why i was asking if the band gets to pick the songs that are played in the background since they also played jay-z. :laugh3:

i don't know the name of the waltz, but it's well-known. uhm... have you watched that simpson episode in which homer is in outer space and tries to eat crisps? it's the song that was played in the background there. :laugh3:

Haha I know the scene with Homer in the outer space. Is it this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6F2TywnQW8

That's what I just found on youtube lol.

it is true.

Like I said before....the thing with the waltz must have to do with the album cover and the revolution thing...it just fits in this time. Actually I'm sure of that...I don't see any other reason there.

i uploaded a few pics onto my myspace account.

the lads still behind the curtain during "life in technicolor"

l_5feb734c07466ee561fb8a46618645ef.jpg

the butterflies came down :flutterby:

l_e9a106e5e1c38b7d4e50ff1b146861f9.jpg

as well as the fluorescent ones!

l_d405caa17925209022ff8ae716b149e0.jpg

i swear that the pics look much better in original size. i can't make out anything when they're so small. :(

btw, lars, i figured out the song. it certainly is from strauss, but it's "the blue danube".

Here's the translation! Again, sorry for any mistakes! ;) It was a tough one this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coldplay with a sense for dramaturgy

From Thorsten Keller, 03.09.08, 14:40 h, updated 03.09.08, 14:42 h

13 000 fans celebrated the British band Coldplay in the Mannheim SAP Arena. Right at the beginning the musicians penetrate with "Violet Hill" directly to the heart of the current CD "Viva la Vida" - vigorous, rhythmically complex and less introverted, as you knew the English band previously.

Before Coldplay start their tour in Germany in the Mannheim SAP Arena Viennese waltz is running from the tape for minutes, like in a bad "Sissi" movie. While 13 000 fans in the sold-out hall still reflect on what deeper meaning this break music could possibly have, the four Coldplay musician even come on the stage, but during the first number "Life in Technicolor" they only appear as a shadow behind a transparent curtain to be guessed at.

After this timid prologue the curtain goes up and with "Violet Hill" Coldplay penetrate directly to the heart of the current CD "Viva la Vida" - vigorous, rhythmically complex and less introverted, as you knew the English band previously. Singer Chris Martin and guitarist Johnny Buckland also visually tie in with "Viva la Vida" due to their stylised circus uniforms - the outfit one knows from the advertising photos for the current album.

Solid soft rock

According to a survey of tourist internet portal Travelodge, Coldplay is the band people in Great Britain prefer to listen to in the evening before closing the eyes, music to fall asleep with in a narrower literal sense. One might think about this survey in Mannheim, when Chris Martin sits down at his piano (or rather lays down as his nose almost touched the keys) and alludes the new song "42". Solid soft rock, Coldplay old-school - that's the first impression. But after just two minutes the number tilts, followed by an intermediate game with wild technoid convulsions, then it goes back to the starting point. The pepped up sound doesn’t stop over older repertoire as well: With "God Put a Smile on Your Face" the band dismantles a hit from 2002, like if it were a remix by Brian Eno, with pounding bass and glaring, cheeping special effects.

Of course Coldplay also establish those solemn, ponderous stadium rock (prototype: "In My Place") on the current tour, with whom they conquered an audience of millions, even on the hard to break through U.S. market which is difficult for British bands. Thereby, however, the band proves fine sense of dramaturgy. During the first single-hit "Yellow" the complete arena is flooded with yellow spots, a light mood like on a Belgian motorway. The big video wall behind the musicians shows a shot of the brightly lit interior - an extremely effective mirror trick, which just doubled the audience.

Close contact with the fans

In contrast to the open-air shows of the year 2005, when Coldplay only rattled off their programme distantly and tired, there are two blocks integrated in the current production, in which the band move closer to the fans. The ballad "Hardest Part" is played solo by Chris Martin on a mini-stage, like an island stands out from the interior, in this moment he doesn’t appear as a hard-boiled rock star, but more as a sad pianist in a dubious hotel bar.

Viewers in block 211 in the lower tier of the arena have booked the best places to have this evening in Mannheim. There Coldplay turn out on another temporary stage for a short acoustic set, only with guitars, mandolin and harmonica. Besides, they blow some steam from the bulky song "The Scientist", less (or none) keyboards is clearly more in this case.

Of course it wouldn’t be Coldplay if there were no ideological social programme. Between taps for "Eichbaum-Pils", sausage shops and the well-assorted stand with fan merchandise there are also tables in the foyer with full information about the British organization Oxfam, who stands up for development assistance and fair world trade. Despite of pithy slogans and direct speech ("It's time for justice", "You've got power") the crowds remains modest at these stalls - Saving the world in a pop and entertainment context is just a laborious business.

Here's the translation! Again, sorry for any mistakes! ;) It was a tough one this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coldplay with a sense for dramaturgy

From Thorsten Keller, 03.09.08, 14:40 h, updated 03.09.08, 14:42 h

13 000 fans celebrated the British band Coldplay in the Mannheim SAP Arena. Right at the beginning the musicians penetrate with "Violet Hill" directly to the heart of the current CD "Viva la Vida" - vigorous, rhythmically complex and less introverted, as you knew the English band previously.

Before Coldplay start their tour in Germany in the Mannheim SAP Arena Viennese waltz is running from the tape for minutes, like in a bad "Sissi" movie. While 13 000 fans in the sold-out hall still reflect on what deeper meaning this break music could possibly have, the four Coldplay musician even come on the stage, but during the first number "Life in Technicolor" they only appear as a shadow behind a transparent curtain to be guessed at.

After this timid prologue the curtain goes up and with "Violet Hill" Coldplay penetrate directly to the heart of the current CD "Viva la Vida" - vigorous, rhythmically complex and less introverted, as you knew the English band previously. Singer Chris Martin and guitarist Johnny Buckland also visually tie in with "Viva la Vida" due to their stylised circus uniforms - the outfit one knows from the advertising photos for the current album.

Solid soft rock

According to a survey of tourist internet portal Travelodge, Coldplay is the band people in Great Britain prefer to listen to in the evening before closing the eyes, music to fall asleep with in a narrower literal sense. One might think about this survey in Mannheim, when Chris Martin sits down at his piano (or rather lays down as his nose almost touched the keys) and alludes the new song "42". Solid soft rock, Coldplay old-school - that's the first impression. But after just two minutes the number tilts, followed by an intermediate game with wild technoid convulsions, then it goes back to the starting point. The pepped up sound doesn’t stop over older repertoire as well: With "God Put a Smile on Your Face" the band dismantles a hit from 2002, like if it were a remix by Brian Eno, with pounding bass and glaring, cheeping special effects.

Of course Coldplay also establish those solemn, ponderous stadium rock (prototype: "In My Place") on the current tour, with whom they conquered an audience of millions, even on the hard to break through U.S. market which is difficult for British bands. Thereby, however, the band proves fine sense of dramaturgy. During the first single-hit "Yellow" the complete arena is flooded with yellow spots, a light mood like on a Belgian motorway. The big video wall behind the musicians shows a shot of the brightly lit interior - an extremely effective mirror trick, which just doubled the audience.

Close contact with the fans

In contrast to the open-air shows of the year 2005, when Coldplay only rattled off their programme distantly and tired, there are two blocks integrated in the current production, in which the band move closer to the fans. The ballad "Hardest Part" is played solo by Chris Martin on a mini-stage, like an island stands out from the interior, in this moment he doesn’t appear as a hard-boiled rock star, but more as a sad pianist in a dubious hotel bar.

Viewers in block 211 in the lower tier of the arena have booked the best places to have this evening in Mannheim. There Coldplay turn out on another temporary stage for a short acoustic set, only with guitars, mandolin and harmonica. Besides, they blow some steam from the bulky song "The Scientist", less (or none) keyboards is clearly more in this case.

Of course it wouldn’t be Coldplay if there were no ideological social programme. Between taps for "Eichbaum-Pils", sausage shops and the well-assorted stand with fan merchandise there are also tables in the foyer with full information about the British organization Oxfam, who stands up for development assistance and fair world trade. Despite of pithy slogans and direct speech ("It's time for justice", "You've got power") the crowds remains modest at these stalls - Saving the world in a pop and entertainment context is just a laborious business.

Larry you're ace :kiss:

2. Reihe! (war knapp, leider)

Quote from my boyfriend after the concert (he liked Coldplay before we went to see them, but he wasn't a big fan): "They just FORCE you to be happy"

We almost burst out in tears during "Viva La Vida" and "Fix You". My b/f, too, I mean, men do not cry usually!...

The 100000s of butterflies came down, it was kinda hippie-esque and felt unreal as if I had taken drugs, but it was unbelievably amazing ...and as soon after that the call "VIVA" appeared on the screen I felt like I was born again, seriously! As Chris told us in German: "Unglaublich! Unglaublich!" I think he was in a good mood that night. His perfomance was awesome as he jumped around the way only Chris Martin can do it.

I went to see Coldplay in Munich, 9/07/2005 and they have improved, Mannheim was even better!

this review was added directly onto Wiki:

Das, was Coldplay da in Mannheim auf die Bühne brachten, war das geilste, was ich je gehört/gesehen/gespürt/gefühlt/genossen und erlebt habe. Vom Anfang an ein Erlebnis für alle Sinne. Nach dem Schluss hatte man das Gefühl, an einem ganz speziellen, einem ganz anderen Ort gewesen zu sein. Aber nicht freiwillig, sondern dorthin entführt worden zu sein. Von einer vor Spaß, Freude, Positivität und Energie nur so protzenden Band, die nicht zu Unrecht als "Weltstars" bezeichnet wird.

Ich war und bin immer noch hin und her gerissen, ob dieses Konzert der Grund sein kann, um nach mehr als 30 Jahren der Besuche ungezählter Konzerte, endlich zu sagen: Das war's - besser wird es nimmer!

Wie auch immer: Das, was ich in Mannheim erleben durfte, nimmt mir keiner mehr, niemals. Danke dafür!

[steDie]