✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Sep-2008: SAP Arena, Mannheim - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much for the pictures, videos and reviews! :D I'm worried that they didn't play "Don't Panic" this time. :(

Anyway, I found a short article. Unfortunately I'm still too tired to translate it, but you don't miss anything important I guess. ;)

Edit: Ok, I just translated it! :wacky: I'm bored as hell, but I'm not quite sure if everything's correct, sorry. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GERMAN:

Coldplay in Mannheim: „Unglaubli(s)ch!“

Die Arena in Mannheim war voll bis unters Dach – etwa 13.000 Fans sind gekommen, um Coldplay bei ihrem Auftakt zur Deutschlandtour mit dem neuen Album „Viva la Vida“ anzuschauen.

„Hello Mannheim, wie geht’s“ – Coldplay-Frontmann Chris Martin hat während der ganzen Show immer wieder mit den Fans gesprochen, und zwar auf deutsch. Und wenn alle mitgesungen haben, fand das Chris Martin einfach „unglaublisch“. Bestimmt hat er während der Show drei Kilo abgenommen, so wie er über die Bühne geturnt ist, wild getanzt hat und dabei auch noch jeden Meter ausgenutzt hat. „Life In Technicolor“ – damit fing es relativ ruhig an, da hat die Band noch hinter einem transparenten Vorhang gestanden, hinter ihnen riesengroß das Cover des „Viva la Vida“-Albums. Und dann ging’s richtig los: „Violet Hill“, „In My Place“, „Speed of Sound“ – Coldplay haben keine Sekunde Pause gemacht! Das Konzert war auch was fürs Auge: Licht-Effekte, Lasershow, leuchtende Riesenkugeln über der Bühne, auf denen die Show übertragen wurde. Die Jungs haben sich da richtig was einfallen lassen. Die Bühne hatte links und rechts zwei Rampen runter ins Publikum, und auf denen liefen Chris Martin und Lead-Gitarrist Jonny Buckland auch mitten rein in die Menge. Da konnten die Fans sie fast anfassen.

Bei „Viva la Vida“ tobt die Halle

Ein absolutes Highlight der Show: „Viva la Vida“ – da sind wirklich restlos alle von ihren Sitzen aufgesprungen, und man hat eigentlich nur noch Tausende klatschende, hochgestreckte Hände gesehen. Sehr abwechslungsreich war die Musikmischung: mit jeder Menge Extras von Lichteffekten und wechselndem Bühnenbild, über einen Konfettiregen aus Papierschmetterlingen bis zum Akustik-Part der Band mitten im Publikum. Coldplay haben da wirklich einen Knaller-Tourauftakt hingelegt.

Quelle: http://www.swr3.de/musik/Coldplay_20in_20Mannheim_3A_20_E2_80_9EUnglaublisch_21_E2_80_9C/-/id=47316/did=439778/1qpenwt/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENGLISH:

Coldplay in Mannheim: "Unbelievable!“

The Arena in Mannheim was full up under the roof - about 13,000 fans have came to see Coldplay in their prelude to the German tour with the new album "Viva la Vida".

"Hello Mannheim, wie geht's" - throughout the show Coldplay front man Chris Martin repeatedly talked with the fans, in German. And if all people sang along, Chris Martin said it's "unglaubli(s)ch". During the show he has lost three kilos certainly, as he exercised across the stage, dancing wildly and has even exploited every metre. "Life in Technicolor" - It began relatively quietly, as the band was still behind a transparent curtain with an enormous cover of the "Viva la Vida" album behind them. And then it went off: "Violet Hill", "In My Place", "Speed of Sound" - Coldplay didn't stop a second! The concert was also pleasing to the eye: light effects, laser show, giant glowing balls above the stage on which the show has been transferred. The boys really came up with an idea. On the left and right the stage had two ramps down into the audience, on which Chris Martin and lead guitarist Jonny Buckland directly ran into the crowd. The fans were nearly able to touch them.

During "Viva la Vida" the hall became wildly enthusiastic

An absolute highlight of the show: "Viva la Vida" - completely everyone jumped up from their seats and the only thing you have seen were thousands of clapping and stretched out hands. The music mixture was very varied: with lots of extras, changing lighting effects, a changing stage design, a confetti of paper butterflies and an acoustic part of the band in the middle of the audience. Coldplay really kicked off an incredible prelude of their tour.

Source: http://www.swr3.de/musik/Coldplay_20in_20Mannheim_3A_20_E2_80_9EUnglaublisch_21_E2_80_9C/-/id=47316/did=439778/1qpenwt/index.html

Please note that the setlist as it is posted here is NOT correct!

All the songs it includes have been played (except for Trouble), that's right, but the order is wrong!

I don't remember it entirely either but In my place was played much earlier (after Clocks I think), Trouble was NOT played, after the two piano songs came Lost and after Viva La Vida the band left the stage in order to play the two acoustic songs.

Still, I can't guarantee it is entirely right this way, but it definitiely is closer to the truth :)

oops, no Don't Panic? I want them to play it in Barcelona!! It's my favourite one!

I cannot understand why they only play 20-21 songs, c'mon they have 4 albums... although I don't like too much X&Y, there are too many good songs to be played... and after buying such an expensive ticket they must play a 2hours and a half gig! haha xD

anyway, I hope they play Don't Panic next Saturday... I don't mind if they don't play Speed of Sound :P

All the songs it includes have been played (except for Trouble), that's right, but the order is wrong!

I don't remember it entirely either but In my place was played much earlier (after Clocks I think), Trouble was NOT played, after the two piano songs came Lost and after Viva La Vida the band left the stage in order to play the two acoustic songs.

Still, I can't guarantee it is entirely right this way, but it definitiely is closer to the truth :)

No trouble?:(

my brain can't process lol. any chance you could post the setlist in the order you remember it played, please?

Alright, let's see:

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow

6. Cemeteries of London

7. Chinese Sleep Chant

8. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

9. 42

10. Yes!

11. The Hardest Part + Talk (piano and both not completely)

12. Lost!

13. Speed Of Sound

14. Viva La Vida

15. The Scientist

16. Death Will Never Conquer (Will on vocals)

First Encore

17. Politik

18. Lovers In Japan

19. Death And All His Friends

Second Encore (in the backround: Talk Junkie XL Remix)

20. Fix You

21. The Escapist

Again, I can't guarantee it's right this way, just closer to what really happened! In particular I'm unsure if the order from songs 8-10 is right. I'm also not entirely sure about the position of "Speed of sound". Might also have been song no. 11 instead (before the piano songs). The rest should be right this way!

Thanks a lot everyone for your great videos and wonderful photos & videos! :)

Grace, I'd especially like to thank you as I really loved your reviews. I don't know... they were so heartfelt! ;) I felt like I was there as well and I'm very glad you had such a great time! :)

Changes in the setlist again... Well, I'm not sure which one I prefer. I think both have their positive and negative sides. And I wonder how the setlist will look like at the end of this month... Well, actually I wouldn't care too much as I'd obviously still love every piece of it. :laugh3:

@Larry: Thanks for that article. ;)

Alright, let's see:

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow

6. Cemeteries of London

7. Chinese Sleep Chant

8. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

9. 42

10. Yes!

11. The Hardest Part + Talk (piano and both not completely)

12. Lost!

13. Speed Of Sound

14. Viva La Vida

15. The Scientist

16. Death Will Never Conquer (Will on vocals)

First Encore

17. Politik

18. Lovers In Japan

19. Death And All His Friends

Second Encore (in the backround: Talk Junkie XL Remix)

20. Fix You

21. The Escapist

Again, I can't guarantee it's right this way, just closer to what really happened! In particular I'm unsure if the order from songs 8-10 is right. I'm also not entirely sure about the position of "Speed of sound". Might also have been song no. 11 instead (before the piano songs). The rest should be right this way!

cool ty :D

No problem at all!

Btw: When have they started to play this weird (but in a very positive sense) version of God put a smile upon your face?

I heard the FM-Broadcast from Brixton Academy in June and there they played the conventional version of the song.

Being not the biggest fan of the album version, I liked this new take on the song a lot!!! :)

Okay, I`m back again!

And all I can say is that I had the best evening of my life yesterday!

And I recorded the beginning of every song so that I have the right order of the track listing!

And if someone tells me how to upload videos, I`ll post 2.5 GB of videos here!

And by the way: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dance: :dance: :dance:

could you tell me, where I should upload the video? I never did that before:embarassed:

create an account on youtube :)

or if you dont want to bother, just upload them on rapidshare.com, or sendspace.com, or megaupload.com .. we'll just have to download them.

Glad to know you had a great time btw ! I'd love to read a full review :nice:

Okay, this should be the correct track listing:

1)Life in Technicolor

2)Violet Hill

3)Clocks

4)In my Place (Chris and Jonny love :sneaky:)

5)Cemeteries of London

6) Yellow (Chris freaks out at the end...amazing)

7)42

8) Speed of Sound (great light show with the magic balls:) )

9)Chinese Sleep Chant

10) God put a smile upon your face (amazing version:stunned:)

11)Yes

12)Talk (acoustic version with chris alone on the piano)

13) Hardest Part

14) Postcards from far away (without lyrics)

15) Lost

16)Viva la vida (the crowd goes crazy)

17) Scientist (the crowd continues singing vlv at first :) on a small stage at the other side of the arena)

18) Death will never conquer (will singing)

(19)Talk (in a techno version while the band go back to the main stage))

20) Politik

21)Lovers in Japan

22) Death and all his friends

23) Fix you (Chris runs and jumps all over the stage)

24) The escapist