✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Venti] 15-Jul-08: Forum, Inglewood, CA - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lilylove, parking is $22 if you are in the immediate parking lot surrounding the forum. It's $20 for the other parking lot, which is about a 10-minute walk to the Forum. I'm going to try to get there early tonight too. Last night, it took us 45 minutes to do less than 2 miles to get to the Forum once we exited from the 405.

HINT. TAKE 105 NEXT TIME AND TAKE PARIE RD, ITS A LOCAL SECRET!

That was such an outstanding show last night! I had so much fun. I was sitting in Loge 24, Row G, which was parallel to the stage and only four rows away from it so I had an excellent view of the gorgeous Mr. Berryman. :D

I thought it was awesome that most of the setlist was comprised of the new album's tracks. While I do wish I could see "Everything's Not Lost" or "Warning Sign" played live again one of these days, I was realy pleased to hear all my favorites off the new album played. I was kinda surprised "Viva La Vida" was played so early, it seems like it would be a better song to play towards the end. I also thought Will's solo part was lovely. It was nice to see most of the floor standing up the whole time- even though my section was close to the stage, the people in front of me seemed like they were VIPs or just had freebie tickets because they sat down every chance they could. And I had constant talkers sitting next to me and behind me...grrrrr. Oh and in addition to the list of celebs last night, I saw Blake Sennett from Rilo Kiley and The Elected walking around (Unfortunately I didn't see if he had Winona Ryder with him.)

I've got one video uploaded so far and it's a clip of my favorite part of "42":

http://www.vimeo.com/1351254 I still have "The Scientist" and bits of other songs to upload later.

I can't wait for the Vegas show this weekend!

I actually didn't talk the entire time, and because I was with my lil bro and Coldplay's his favorite band, I didn't say anything negative about the show upon leaving. Saving my venting for now :D

So Daniel - talk to me when you've paid good money to see a band like Pearl Jam give you a 2 and a half hour set. THAT'S getting your money's worth. And for half the price. I'm sure you're too young to appreciate a band that old, but still.

I paid ticket price the day of the show and got 2nd row riser seats. Great seats I must say!

Talk to me when you see the cure and you get a three and a half hour show. There is no need to respond to someones post because they complain about the tix price. Tix prices were out of control, and that is at the box office.

Squirl Jam is still around, I had no clue!

My Review For Opening Night!!!!! Old fan here

My boyfriend and I went down to the forum ticketless. I have done the scene for years, so I knew I would be able to get tickets in order: box office, then a fellow fan, and the dreadful scalper. I got tickets at the box office but I had to wait over an hour, well worth it!!!!!!!!!

We took the 105 W and got off of praie b/c everyone else was on Manchester. It is an old local secrect!!!!!

Yes, I admit ticket prices were a bit high but I think it is like everything else in this world; INFLATION! We got riser seats in the floor a little above the floor seats. We were a little above the heads of peeps on the floor. Great stage view!

My review:

I have seeen them 6 plus times since ROBTTH. My first show was the El Ray show back in the day. All of the shows during that time lasted farrrrr less than 75 mins, so I knew with 4 albums I would get at least 90 mins of music. Its not the cure who play for three hours,lol. I could have or should say liked a 2 hr set but I took what I got and ran with my memories!!! All of you should do the same.

The set was very good for opening night w/ a few miss haps to be expected. I knew going into the show that most of the set would be the new album but that was ok b/c this is the viva tour:)

The crowd was awesome. One of the best crowds i have ever seen at a CP show and all the shows I have been to ( that is alot). I love the energy, the wave while waiting for the late arriving show start. I heard a roadie mention they were still in traffiic or the touring staff, was not sure.

No need to go song by song. I took the songs that get me in my heart (most of them) and left the show with a smile.

It almost seems they have taken the role of U2 with all of the stage effects!

Peace out everyone. Drink ur Granda today!

PS not a new memeber, just changed emails and could not get password!

I will add that I had an awesome section. I think I helped getting people pumped. I was relatively quiet before the concert. I told the couple next to me that it will be an awesome show.

I was standing the whole time. Singing to most songs, stopped when I started losing my voice.

I wish they played "Swallowed In the Sea" as well. One of, if not, my favorite Coldplay song. I also really, really, wanted to hear "Cemeteries of London". I like "Yes", but I think it slowed down the concert a little bit.

I loved the neon confetti action.

I did take some pictures with my camera phone, but it's a crappy 1.3 megapixel phone. It only basically gives you the idea of where I was sitting. I'm a good photographer, but not with my phone.

Also, during "Clocks", I think Chris changed one of the lines in the beginning, does anyone know what he said? I heard lots of "whooos!" after it.

What a great show. They get better and better each time I see them. I have too many favorite moments to recap them all. The crowd was amazing... we were totally Venti. I knew it would be a good crowd since it was the 1st and original LA date to go on sale. The neon confetti was wonderful. I took home pocketfuls of it. I loved all the little mistakes... it honestly makes me love them more. I loved when Chris did somersaults and rolled around on the ramps. I loved it all. I could hardly take any video because I was dancing and singing too much to hold the camera steady. I wanted to buy a tote bag but they were sold out by the time I got to the front of the line. :(

Ohhhh man. Anybody going to get Leno tickets tomorrow morning?? Camp out??

What a great show. They get better and better each time I see them. I have too many favorite moments to recap them all. The crowd was amazing... we were totally Venti. I knew it would be a good crowd since it was the 1st and original LA date to go on sale. The neon confetti was wonderful. I took home pocketfuls of it. I loved all the little mistakes... it honestly makes me love them more. I loved when Chris did somersaults and rolled around on the ramps. I loved it all. I could hardly take any video because I was dancing and singing too much to hold the camera steady. I wanted to buy a tote bag but they were sold out by the time I got to the front of the line. :(

YES! Was there last night, and going to Leno, on my way home after the concert, I was thinking that i have had my Coldplay Fix, but I know that I am going to HATE myself if I dont take this chance to see them again! going tonight.

What show did u go to. I think both LA shows were ventis

Coldplay At The Forum

LINE OF THE NIGHT

So I’m wandering the Forum floor, looking for Lisa and Brooks, and I run into Dave. He’s just upgraded a young couple from the cheap seats to the first five rows. They’re giddy, in a state of disbelief, and I say I want to go on his next mission, into the stratosphere, to rescue some more real fans.

Dave’s eyes light up, we get ready to ascend the stairs, but we can’t lay our hands on any more tickets. They’ve all been given away. All five front rows have been populated.

So Dave asks if I want to meet the band.

I say no. This is always a waste of time. Something for the mental scrapbook, something to whip out to show others what a hotshot you are when really the band has no fucking clue who you are. But Dave said Chris knew who I was. Thinking this was possible, since Chris’ best friend, the fifth member of Coldplay, had said at dinner that Chris reads everything about him, takes the temperature of Coldplay fans, even in chat rooms, I agreed.

So, we enter the bowels of the Forum and Dave tells me to wait a second, he wants to go into the dressing room first.

That’s cool.

Upon emerging, Dave says Chris is going to come to us, that we should sit in the "Family Room" and await him. And we’re doing so, catching up on the band’s history, its decision to do the iTunes commercial, which at first the band was reluctant to do, and a small black man enters and he and Dave strike up a conversation. Does he need a bottle of water? No, he’s afraid he’s going to have to pee during the show. Feeling the exact same way, I mention this and when this gentleman turns to look at me I realize it’s Kanye West.

I’m stunned. He’s absent all the attitude, all the chutzpah paraded in the press. He’s nice. He’s gentle. And he’s young. I can’t believe how young he is. THIS is the guy everyone believes is such a terror?

After talking for a while, we decide to venture into the band’s dressing room ourselves. Where Dave introduces me to Chris, who looks at me like he’s never heard of me before. Feeling like every other dumb ass loser, I pipe up that I’m the one who writes the newsletter. Ah, the nod of recognition. Chris is introducing me to the rest of the band. I can’t believe they’re so calm before the show, I wouldn’t want to hang with unknowns minutes before going on stage. And then, Kanye asks my last name…

And I start telling Chris not to listen to the critics. To just do what he wants. That the haters have an agenda. And Chris tells me he doesn’t hate anybody, not even Bill O’Reilly.

I’m making no headway here. Chris Martin is just too nice.

So I decide to switch subjects. I decide to get into it with Kanye. I start talking about Bonnaroo.

And Kanye says to me: I DON’T TAKE THE HIGH ROAD!

MARTY, ET AL

That’s the first recognizable face I saw in the corridors of the Forum. Marty Diamond and ultimately his New York Paradigm team. And after discussing dogs, finally meeting up with Dave Holmes, we go to have dinner.

Which is quite a spread. The lamb chops were best. But I couldn’t resist the desserts. A pecan pie and some chocolate concoction that was perfectly sweet.

Dave told me about the festival he’s doing north of the border, just east of Whistler, Pemberton. How they’ve already sold in excess of 35,000 tickets, are in the black.

And we get into a discussion of V.I.P ticketing.

That’s when Dave and Marty tell me about their solution. The aforementioned upgrade. They leave the first five rows blank and install real fans. And they were right. Because during the show, these people were animated, they stood, and those who bought their tickets from StubHub behind them remained seated. Still, I thought that V.I.P. was best, because the thing most people want is A ticket. Price is secondary. Which Rapino confirmed, but I’m getting ahead of myself. With so few tickets actually for sale, and the inability to get a good one, the fan feels fucked. And, speaking of being fucked, it was $22 to park at the Forum. The band and the promoter get none of this, but they do end up getting hated for it. Can’t we get everybody on the same page?

And Marty told of telling one of his acts to cut extra lights, a truck and personnel to save money on the road.

And then we discussed Mt. Everest, and the Live Nation team entered the room.

RAPINO

Nick Masters was telling me that home construction had finally caught up with Glen Helen. I’m taking his word for it, the last time I went there, in 2000, to see AC/DC, I felt lucky to emerge with my life.

Nick said business was good. Especially in San Diego, which had been soft the summer before. People want to come to shows. And, they’re doing innovative marketing, like 4-Packs.

And then Michael Rapino entered the room.

I tell you, Rapino can give Steve Jobs a run for his money, when it comes to the reality distortion field. They’ve both got their routine down so well, and deliver it so smoothly, that you can’t see any holes. You’re closed.

Rapino says Live Nation’s not for sale.

But I asked him how many times his mentor Michael Cohl had sold his company.

But Rapino said Cohl was gone.

Their goal is to have a trust relationship with the artist, and allow them to maximize their revenue by selling a ton of different products.

Like with Nickelback… The label could no longer say no. That had been the problem, the label wouldn’t approve anything. Now you could sell/give away a t-shirt with the music, with a ticket. All the revenue flowed into one pot, it was good for everybody.

And it’s all about the Website. Collecting e-mail addresses and maximizing revenue.

Michael brought up some things I couldn’t believe. Like giving regular customers better service, i.e. better tickets! He spoke of personally answering customer complaints. Told how sometimes the customer was right, had thought of things he and his team had not.

This was not your father’s music business.

But Live Nation is still dependent upon acts. And Rapino said that wasn’t their focus. They were a buyer of talent, not a builder.

At least he was honest.

THE SHOW

I’m hanging with the manager of Depeche Mode. I’m telling him they should play the Super Bowl. How it’s a perfect fit. They’ve got the audience and the NFL needs the edge. And Rick Rubin appears. And then Kanye. And then Jonah Hill. He and Kanye high five. It’s like the cliche…does everybody in showbiz know each other?

And it’s not until ten minutes into the show that I realize I’m sitting next to Eva Longoria and Tony Parker. These people, if they weren’t famous, you wouldn’t stare. But since they are, it’s hard not to.

Eva fell asleep in the middle of the show. She and Tony left early. But Rick didn’t. He was nodding his head, he had his hands in the air, just like everybody else.

Point is, THE AUDIENCE LOVED IT!

I could break the show down in detail, but that’s not the point. You pay your money, you want to have a good time. Coldplay delivered.

The highlight was an intimate, almost acoustic set, right in front of me, on a lighted floor. They were playing live, no tapes, no hard drive, they get props for that!

And then, two-thirds of the way through the show, they ran up to the rafters and performed a two song truly acoustic set, including "Yellow".

There was production, white hanging balls with projectors inside… No one was going to complain he didn’t get his money’s worth.

AFTER SHOW

I saw Mark Burnett in the Forum Club, wearing a scarf. He may be a zillionaire, but he was out of his element.

And Kate Bosworth… Fewer lip injections and more meals and I might be interested.

Zach Braff was casual.

Yes, the stars came out. Because the band’s that big and it’s L.A. The haters are those who can’t get in, those who love bands that can’t draw.

CONCLUSION

It’s supposed to be an event. Your adrenaline is supposed to pump, you’re supposed to feel fully alive. You’re supposed to connect with the music, listening to it in so many environments in your life and finally hearing it LIVE! FEELING it live.

This is an experience that can’t be stolen. You can’t see it on television, not at a movie theatre. Can one have sympathy for record labels singing the blues after they purveyed mindless, evanescent crap that only looked good in those media, sucked live? To make it today, you’ve got to be able to play, you’ve got to be able to sing. You’ve got to be able to touch people’s lives.

It’s not Doug Morris’ world, it’s Michael Rapino’s.

But most of all, it’s Chris Martin’s.

You dream of making it. You work harder than anybody else and your prayers are answered. It’s hard to stay on an even keel. And when you feel that hit of adoration as the lights go down, the curtain goes up and you start to sing, you know there’s no place you’d rather be. With the audience with its heads in the air, singing to the heavens the songs you wrote. That are part of their lives as much as their parents and significant others. There’s power in this music, that’s why these musicians are stars. Not because they’re gossiped about on TMZ, not because they’re written about. It all comes down to the music. A critical mass of people love Coldplay’s music. And that’s what it’s all about.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2008/07/15/coldplay-at-the-forum/

LINE OF THE NIGHT

That’s when Dave and Marty tell me about their solution. The aforementioned upgrade. They leave the first five rows blank and install real fans. And they were right. Because during the show, these people were animated, they stood, and those who bought their tickets from StubHub behind them remained seated. Still, I thought that V.I.P. was best, because the thing most people want is A ticket. Price is secondary. Which Rapino confirmed, but I’m getting ahead of myself. With so few tickets actually for sale, and the inability to get a good one, the fan feels fucked. And, speaking of being fucked, it was $22 to park at the Forum. The band and the promoter get none of this, but they do end up getting hated for it. Can’t we get everybody on the same page?

I was really confused by this part. How do you get VIP tickets? They "install real fans?" How? Anyone shed more light on this?

I was really confused by this part. How do you get VIP tickets? They "install real fans?" How? Anyone shed more light on this?

I am also confused on the whole "real fans" thing, some of the people that I saw wearing the VIP passes did not look like they were "real fans," they looked like they had better things to do. "real fans" to me, means, those that were so excited to see coldplay after so long, they were shaking a little in the seats, that did not sit down the whole show, that cant talk right now because his throat hurts so much from screaming, that is still a little shaky, They knew every song, have their vinyl, and they know that the REMIX of TALK (Thin White Duke Edit) was what was on after Will sang (even though its no where to be found in any set lists that are posted GRRRR...). Those are the real fans...

so this is why no one could ever get tickets closer than the first 5 rows????

OMG....

wonder what criteria they use for picking people....:stunned:

I am also confused on the whole "real fans" thing, some of the people that I saw wearing the VIP passes did not look like they were "real fans," they looked like they had better things to do. "real fans" to me, means, those that were so excited to see coldplay after so long, they were shaking a little in the seats, that did not sit down the whole show, that cant talk right now because his throat hurts so much from screaming, that is still a little shaky, They knew every song, have their vinyl, and they know that the REMIX of TALK (Thin White Duke Edit) was what was on after Will sang (even though its no where to be found in any set lists that are posted GRRRR...). Those are the real fans...

Amen, hollywoodpunk!

i think some of the VIPs had to be contest winners. a few of them ARE big fans (i met one or two of them before the gig started), but then again...i hear you out. most of the time the folks that get to be directly in the front are there cause they've got 'connections' or among those 'privileges' :rolleyes:

sorry guys i was going to post as soon as i got home from the concert last night but i drove all the way to san diego by myself and i was completely WORN OUT. Honestly that might have been the best time ive EVER had in my life as that was my first but not last Coldplay concert. I was sitting in Loge 7 row C and those seats were pretty damn good. Didnt sit down for a minute when they came out and lost my damn voice halfway through their set. Only little gripe i had is that they did not play Trouble. That song is my FAVORITE and I was just waiting for it to come on but it didnt....other that everything was perfect!!! Chris was absolutely crazy and I loved how he messed up and we all just ended up laughing. Loved the Starbucks reference and the magic balls kicked ass. It was so worth the money for the ticket even though they werent out there for 2 hours. I would do it again in a heartbeat!! I hope that everyone who is going to their future dates enjoy themselves as much as i did bc it was a wonderful and breath taking experience that I will NEVER forget.