✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Venti] 15-Jul-08: Forum, Inglewood, CA - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think being objective about the show means someone doesn't like Coldplay.

Exactly. Coldplay's not my favorite band, but AROBTTH is one of my all-time favorite albums. Not even a mediocre song on the entire thing. They're definitely ONE of the best bands going right now at least.

And I completely disagree with what someone said earlier about how this forum is "not to criticize Coldplay, but to worship them." I lurk around on various other bands' message boards as well, and some of the best threads/discussions are ones where people share what they think could be improved upon, and voice their displeasure when something doesn't meet their high standards.

My being objective about the show results from:

a. paid $85 for only 90 minutes. $85x18,000 seats = roughly 1.5 million bucks. I know that doesn't all go to the band, but please - give us another half hour.

b. all of the backing tracks used. Viva La Vida might as well have been Viva La Karaoke. Same with most of the other songs from the new album. If you're the biggest band on the planet, you can afford to hire a touring orchestra. That, or don't play those songs live.

c. all but complete disregard for Parachutes. that could have been solved with the extra half hour I mentioned above.

My being objective about the show results from:

a. paid $85 for only 90 minutes. $85x18,000 seats = roughly 1.5 million bucks. I know that doesn't all go to the band, but please - give us another half hour.

b. all of the backing tracks used. Viva La Vida might as well have been Viva La Karaoke. Same with most of the other songs from the new album. If you're the biggest band on the planet, you can afford to hire a touring orchestra. That, or don't play those songs live.

c. all but complete disregard for Parachutes. that could have been solved with the extra half hour I mentioned above.

I can see where you're coming from and I agree that they could've added older songs in their setlist too. I still had an amazing time at the show anyway. And mentioning $85 for 90 minutes...darn, when you put it that way it does make me think. I think I paid around $30 or $40 last year to see Muse in the same venue last year, and as any other Muse fan here might know- they always put on epic shows and it was definitely more than 90 minutes. Big difference between them and Coldplay though is that Coldplay's more popular here and can charge whatever the hell they want. I think Coldplay will always be one of those bands now where you expect to pay over $60 bucks to see them live. I know that won't stop me from buying tickets to their shows anyway- I go broke for my favorite bands all the time :D

(And if you think $85 was a lot- Madonna charged around $130, I think, for tickets to her show in the Forum in 2004, and she played for an hour and this was without an opening act too.)

I read these forums all the time and never post anything, but I thought I'd share some videos. My bandmate and I were sitting in Row B right next to Johnny's leg of the stage and it was the best concert I've ever been to. The pictures I took didn't turn out that great, but she posted videos of In My Place, Viva La Vida, Speed of Sound, Lost!, Lovers in Japan, and Death and All His Friends on her youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/knarisa .

The "In My Place" one is my favorite because Chris and Johnny came out next to us for the second half of the song. I'm a straight man, but Chris and Johnny are so cute together. I like the way Johnny kinda swaggers when he's playing the main riff.

Also, you can see Chris grab the security guard's nipple around the 2-minute mark of "Lost!". It was pretty funny because the guard was trying to look tough, but was smiling for the rest of the night after that point.