✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

9-Nov-08 - BankAtlantic Centre, Ft Lauderdale, FL, - Tickets, Preview, Review/Photos

lol, look up Coldplay on urbandictionary, the entries are pretty funny

I went in thinking "oh Gawd what did people write?!!:\"

My favorite so far is:

coldplay:

1) when someone has sex with a dead person

2) a band that sounds about as good as sex with a dead person

:rolleyes::lol:

edit: i think the lack of new songs/change in setlist has pushed Jo off the deep end, and this thread way off topic LOL

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went in thinking "oh Gawd what did people write?!!:\"

My favorite so far is:

coldplay:

1) when someone has sex with a dead person

2) a band that sounds about as good as sex with a dead person

:rolleyes::lol:

edit: i think the lack of new songs/change in setlist has pushed Jo off the deep end, and this thread way off topic LOL

that was my favorite too!

off topic?! theres no such thing.

The show was AWESOME!!! I still have WHOOAAA OOOhhh oohhhh ohhhh in my head. People were singing it after the show was over walking out. This was the set list:

Life in Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed of Sound

Cemeteries of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You (AWESOME)

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Talk (techno kind of mix)

The Hardest Part (Chris on piano)

Viva La Vida (Whooooaaa OHHHH ohhhh)

Lost!

The Scientist

Death Will Never Conquer

Politik (...love over, love over this.....!)

Lover in Japan

Death and All His Friends

Yellow

Show was great. When they played The Scientist and Death Will Never Conquer, they were about 20 feet away from me!!!!

The show WAS amazing! I wish it was a bit longer, but I'm not complaining. The only thing that would have made it better for me was if they played Warning Sign, and Amsterdam. But man it was great. First time seeing them live and it has made me love them even more; they are great guys.

Lover In Japan was definitely the high point for me, I love that song. SO GOOD. I can't wait to get in my car tomorrow and blast them when headin' to work. I will be listening to them for a week straight now.

You're lucky that you were on the side they played at when they came into the audience, I was in the exact same position as them but on the opposite side of the arena that they were on.

Thanks for the setlist!

I have a feeling they won't. She didn't mention it.

They showed up pretty early in the afternoon to the venue, I think that's usually the best bet.

Wait...

MEL: setlist from Pete!

Aww Pete:blush:

On Pete's set list : ****Maybe Glass of Water

They didn't play it , but I just might get it at one of the Texas shows. And the tour rolls on. :D

Coldplay's Sunrise Set Shows Band At Best

SUNRISE - First came U2 to argue that profundity is not a cardinal sin or character flaw in rock music-making: It's cool to be grandiose if you write good hooks.

Enter Coldplay, who have worked even harder than U2 at building up a musical language to express ambition of design and largeness of feeling.

To that end, frontman Chris Martin and his three band mates have absorbed many of the acoustic and melodic strategies for communicating rock majesty. Sunday's sold-out Coldplay concert for 15,000 people at BankAtlantic Center was an exuberant demonstration of the best and worst of those tricks.

One moment Coldplay were swimming in orchestral sound as effortlessly as Pink Floyd; the next they were making whale noises. One moment they were rising impressively on spires of sound; the next they were arpeggiating like John Tesh.

It was a frustrating night to try and lose oneself completely in the spirit of vague uplift that Coldplay provides. They kept interrupting the sublime with the ridiculous.

In the former category was the mostly instrumental Chinese Sleep Chant, a not-quite-hidden coda to a song called Yes on the band's new CD, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. The rough atmospheric beauty of Chant's two droning chords recalled My Bloody Valentine -- music with a skin that is both luminous and bruised.

There were too many bruises on one of the new CD's riper title tracks, Death and All His Friends, which sounded like Yanni with lyrics.

In its quest to perfect slow-motion arena rock, Coldplay has absolutely turned out exceptional songs. Clocks and its younger, dressier sibling Speed of Sound set elegant keyboard lines to a skipping rhythm. Martin sang both in a voice that seems to get its somber weight from congestion. It's as if he can close his sinuses on command.

The rhythm section of Guy Berryman and Will Champion, on bass and drums, respectively, played with a hard-hitting punctuality that put them in good company. They're less like U2's Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr., and more like AC/DC's rock-steady tandem of Cliff Williams and Phil Rudd.

A good, unpretentious backbeat goes a long way. In Coldplay's case, it didn't redeem every watery power ballad or mushy anthem. But it helped the band make the best of its good work and get away with everything else.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-coldplay1109,0,7839774.story

1. Chris Martin 89 up, 27 down

Chris Martin is a wallingford native, eagle scout,and is the best drummer that town has seen. despite being an amazing drummer he is the lead singer of the band At All Costs. the positive hardcore band led by Chris commonly sings about being edge,edge breakers, and political issues. he is commony seen around town at the american legion(stomping grounds),stop and shop, and the mcdonalds drive thru. you can also spot him at pretty much any local show supporting his local scene.

Dude 1: hey i saw Chris Martin at the TFT show

Dude 2: Thats cool

Dude 1: Hey thats him now

Dude 2: Hey Chris at all costs i will endure

Chris: Hey dudes keep it clean

2. Chris Martin 93 up, 85 down

Frontman for the best band in the world, Coldplay. Sings in a tenor and a high falsetto. Plays piano and acoustic guitar. (He is surprisingly a better guitarist than lead guitarist Jonny Buckland).

Married to actress Gwenyth Paltrow.

Chris Martin is an advocate for the Make Trade Fair corporation, which vows to make the superpowers take down tariffs for third world and developing countries.

Chris Martin is more real than U2's Bono, for he takes on one cause, while Bono supports anything and everything - and comes out looking like a Hypocrite.

3. chris martin 67 up, 80 down

Singer of the amazing band Coldplay

he is amazing

and he plays piano, guitar and vocals.

Married to Gwenyth Paltrow

Child named Apple.

"i saw Coldplay, Chris Martin is soo hott"

4. chris martin 21 up, 66 down

A form of dancing, modelled on how Chris Martin dances on stage when performing. It is slighly crazy, usually involving standing on one foot and moving all of your other limbs in spasm like movements. Very amusing to watch and can usually be passed off as drunk dancing

Courtney - "AHHHHH!!! CHRIS MARTIN DANCE"

Cara - "AHHHH!!!!"

<both dance Chris Martin style, nearly taking out everybody else on the dancefloor. Everybody looks then begins to copy>

Cara - "Looks like like our Chris Martin dancing was fair sweet aight?"

Courtney - "aight"

5. chris martin 19 up, 69 down

A form of dancing, modelled on how Chris Martin dances on stage when performing. It is slighly crazy, usually involving standing on one foot and moving all of your other limbs in spasm like movements. Very amusing to watch and can usually be passed off as drunk dancing

Cara - "AHHHH!!!!"

<both dance Chris Martin style, nearly taking out everybody else on the dancefloor. Everybody looks then begins to copy>

Courtney - "aight"

1. Chris Martin 89 up, 27 down

Chris Martin is a wallingford native, eagle scout,and is the best drummer that town has seen. despite being an amazing drummer he is the lead singer of the band At All Costs. the positive hardcore band led by Chris commonly sings about being edge,edge breakers, and political issues. he is commony seen around town at the american legion(stomping grounds),stop and shop, and the mcdonalds drive thru. you can also spot him at pretty much any local show supporting his local scene.

Dude 1: hey i saw Chris Martin at the TFT show

Dude 2: Thats cool

Dude 1: Hey thats him now

Dude 2: Hey Chris at all costs i will endure

Chris: Hey dudes keep it clean

2. Chris Martin 93 up, 85 down

Frontman for the best band in the world, Coldplay. Sings in a tenor and a high falsetto. Plays piano and acoustic guitar. (He is surprisingly a better guitarist than lead guitarist Jonny Buckland).

Married to actress Gwenyth Paltrow.

Chris Martin is an advocate for the Make Trade Fair corporation, which vows to make the superpowers take down tariffs for third world and developing countries.

Chris Martin is more real than U2's Bono, for he takes on one cause, while Bono supports anything and everything - and comes out looking like a Hypocrite.

3. chris martin 67 up, 80 down

Singer of the amazing band Coldplay

he is amazing

and he plays piano, guitar and vocals.

Married to Gwenyth Paltrow

Child named Apple.

"i saw Coldplay, Chris Martin is soo hott"

4. chris martin 21 up, 66 down

Cara - "AHHHH!!!!"

Courtney - "aight"

5. chris martin 19 up, 69 down

Cara - "AHHHH!!!!"

Courtney - "aight"

better guitarist than jonny?!? ok um... no.

and LOL at the Chris Martin dance... :lol:

42 lied!:angry:

miller is going to get some serious arse kicking:whip:

i knowwww... im cosidering giving him another chance. if they dont play a different set list in the next 3 shows, im going after him.

42 lied!:angry:

miller is going to get some serious arse kicking:whip:

Naahhh ease up on Miller, I think he intimated that it was going to be awhile before the new setlist got it's debut....

in the meanwhile let's hurry it up with some focused ColdplayCarma.....

You can spread it with these,:snore::snore::snore::snore: which aren't snoring, Oh no, they're us going Ooooooohm, Oooooohm in a ColdplayCarmic meditation chant !!!!

And trust me..... It Works

Naahhh ease up on Miller, I think he intimated that it was going to be awhile before the new setlist got it's debut....

in the meanwhile let's hurry it up with some focused ColdplayCarma.....

You can spread it with these,:snore::snore::snore::snore: which aren't snoring, Oh no, they're us going Ooooooohm, Oooooohm in a ColdplayCarmic meditation chant !!!!

And trust me..... It Works

ahhhh brilliant! :lol:

:snore::snore::snore::snore::snore:

do you think it makes a different if we add some hand movements?

:dance::snore::dance::snore:

Last Night: Coldplay at BankAtlantic Center

coldplay.jpg

Coldplay

November 9, 2008

BankAtlantic Center

Better Than: You’d Expect

Say what you will about Coldplay (and most folks do), but unlike a lot of so-called arena acts – nevermind their smaller setting counterparts – they’ve at least got sense enough to make a spectacle of themselves when they come to town.

Case in point: last night’s BankAtlantic sellout, which was perhaps the single most spectacular rock show to hit our stretch of the peninsula since the invention of the verilight.

Okay, so I hyperbolize. But when a band takes the time to thrill an audience with each and every component of their concert, hyperbole is the least I can do. I mean, live these guys go all the way and then some, from what they wear (think post-apocalyptic patriot) through the very air itself (a millions-strong Mylar butterfly drop). They have lights (from a rig that seemed positively anthropomorphic); they have camera (tracking the stage and beaming out on spheres and screen); and they have action, manic action (for that’s the only way to describe singer Chris Martin’s patented brand of mad dashing).

Mostly though, Coldplay has a vision -- a keen-eyed idea that big bands should put on big shows -- and last night that vision was realized.

Of course when the tracks that back your big idea all happen to be even bigger hits, well, the vision a lot easier to see. It also gets to be grandiose, and from the moment the scrim rose to reveal a mammoth backdrop of Delacroix’s classic "Liberty Leading the People" it was clear that this was to be an evening as grand and as sweeping as grandiose can go.

“Life in Technicolor” launched the aural assault, and charged mightily into huge versions of “Violet Hill,” “Clocks,” “In My Place” and “Speed of Sound,” each larger and more powerful than its predecessor. These are the kinda bright and shiny bombasts Coldplay is best at -- and which they made most famous -- and live they take on the size they deserve.

Three lesser known Viva La Vida tracks quickly followed (“Cemeteries of London,” “Chinese Sleep Chant” and “42”), and I forgot them the minute they ended. But then came the collective hush of “Fix You” and fifteen thousand hearts could be heard singing as one and I remembered the reason Coldplay was so successful in the first place -- they encompass everyone.

After the anthem had gone, the band swung the single “Strawberry Swing,” adjourned to one of the stage-side extensions for bass heavy versions of both “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face” and “Talk,” and then left Martin alone at the piano to croon through “The Hardest Part,” which enabled them and us to brace for booming renditions of “Viva la Vida” and “Lost!”

But it was when Coldplay jumped stage, snaked swiftly down the side of the arena floor and set up in the theoretical cheap seats for “The Scientist” that the venue truly blew a fuse. In one fell swoop, the band proved its populism wasn’t just an angle, and that its populist appeal would never, ever be taken for granted. They came to play for all, and to give all a good night.

Yes, they followed that crowd-pleasing stunt with three more quiet roars (“Politik,” “Lovers in Japan” and “Death and All His Friends”), and it’s true that the fluttering of millions of multi-colored butterflies while the band played on transfixed everybody in attendance, but there still remained one move for Coldplay to make before they finally sealed the deal.

And that move of course was the very moving “Yellow.” Like the mega-hits for which this song seems to serve as a sort of blueprint, Coldplay’s first foray into chart-topping territory is not only anthem incarnate, it’s perhaps the only pop ditty in existence that can sway a swoon outta just about anyone. Last night was no exception, and a full house folded at last, full of big fun and utterly undone.

There’s nothing really revolutionary about Coldplay, despite the revolutionary trappings, and they know that as well as you do. Which means they’re completely at liberty to do what they set out to do from the get-go, and that is to write singalong songs and provide huge throngs a big night out every once in awhile. Is it gonna change the world? Of course not. But it might just cause a large part of the world to smile, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

Critic's Notebook

Personal Bias: I too sometimes have huge hopes and dreams.

Random Detail: Chris Martin did not remain still for a single instant throughout the entire 99 minute show.

By the Way: The Coldplay Messenger offers up all kinds of goodies, from free tracks (for a limited time) to sneak peaks (of limitedly released clips). http://www.coldplay.com

-- John Hood

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfade/2008/11/last_night_coldplay_at_bankatl.php