✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Paul McCartney

RadioMad

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very simple but he does a great job of choosing the right instrumentation. It's much more moody than his past works and the production is magnificent.

Yes definitly.

Jenny Wren is my favorite song on the album. It's sounds like it was left out of the White Album. Also, English Tea is very much like the Beatles. I think the album sounds great.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

McCartney Shows His Age

1978_wide.jpg1978_tall.jpg

The time comes when even old, established legends must bow out and acknowledge that their time has passed. Paul McCartney’s newest album Memory Almost Full seems to be doing just that. Much of the album’s lyrics seem to deal with McCartney looking back on his life and reflecting.

“Memory Almost Full”

(Hear Music)

Released June 5, 2007

Much of the album feels like background music for a montage of clips involving the former Beatles life story.

No one is disputing the legendary status that is McCartney. As a former member of The Beatles, a band that is inarguably one of the most revolutionary rock groups in the history of music, when McCartney makes an album people will listen.

The album kicks off with a stripped down guitar piece called “Dance Tonight” that felt, strangely, more like an Eric Clapton song rather than a McCartney piece. It is catchy and McCartney’s foot can be heard pounding out the beat in the background of the track. On the whole it is a feel good song that gives the listener a happy, warm feeling once it is done.

Track two is a song that I personally have trouble identifying with but no doubt will be embraced by thousands of Baby Boomers all over the world. “Ever Present Past” tells the story of a man looking back on his life and how he is dealing with it now. The track seems reminiscent more of his time with Wings than anything he ever produced with the Beatles.

The entire album does give the impression of almost a farewell letter to his fans. The cover art depicts an all white background with the silhouette of a chair that would be perfect for an old man telling stories to his grandchildren. The album title itself hints at something that is nearing its end. McCartney is not that old, only in his mid-sixties, but maybe this album is his way of coming to terms with his age.

“You Tell Me” is one of the most chilling songs on the album. Played slow and sung in an almost cracked and sad voice McCartney asks “Was it true? / Was I really there with you? / you tell me” like an old man with Alzheimer’s questioning the events in his life. It is a very moving, very touching song.

Yet to follow it up with “Mr.Bellamy” was an interesting choice. The song takes a more psychedelic approach that sounds a bit like classic Sgt. Peppers Beatles than his more structured songs of late. “Mr. Bellamy” tells, from what I gather, to be the story of a very old man who has escaped from a hospital and now the doctors and nurses are chasing him.

The middle of the album seems to loose the steam of the first half. “Gratitude” and “Vintage Clothes” just do not seem up to par of what is normally expected of McCartney. “Gratitude” is McCartney blatantly telling his family and fans how much he appreciates their love over the years. “Vintage Clothes” is an entirely different beast. It could simply be due to an obvious generation gap that I do not particularly like the song. Baby Boomers have always had this unity that they are more than happy to share with openly. But when McCartney sings “Who cares if you look like a girl or a boy/ what we are/ is what we are/ and what we wear/ is vintage clothes” it just feels extremely dated.

“The End of the End” is as much a testament of his will as anything. Like something Coldplay would sing this heavy piano piece is a little slow and sad. When McCartney actually does pass on I have no doubt that this song will be sung at his memorial. It seems tailor made for such an occasion.

To his credit McCartney does not end the album on a sad note. The final track “Nod Your Head” is a fast piece with strong instrumentals. On the whole the album is good, which is no surprise considering its source. There are some slow parts that make it far from McCartney’s best album solo or otherwise. I genuinely hope that this is not the last McCartney album, he is capable of so much more.

http://www.luminomagazine.com/mw/content/view/1978/27

that review is kind of strange. i just picked up paul's new album and it sounds amazing! it's also unbelievable how much his voice hasn't changed a bit even at the age of 64. In "only mother knows" he can still wail just like in Helter Skelter or Oh Darling

• 1 year later...