✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Official Phil is Hot thread (now known as the greet Phil thread :P)

Carlaatje

If the Oracle won't help us, we'll have to find out about Phil ourselves. Have got bored of the Coldplay News Archives search so decided to switch around and see what I can find out about Phil instead.

First up:

Not all celebro-students derive their status from their parents. Take the case of Oxford classics undergraduate Phil Harvey. When he started organising club nights at the Park End nightclub, few thought he was destined for great things. However, he was soon managing a friend's band and sold their first single in Trinity College bar. The band is Coldplay. His ex-girlfriend is Natalie Imbruglia.

One contemporary describes him as: "Truly humble yet talented. Everyone loved him and when he announced he was leaving to manage Coldplay, his tutor said that he could return at any time if it didn't work out."

Source: Degrees of fame by Ed Howker

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/main.jhtml?xml=/education/2004/02/21/tejfame21.xml&sSheet=/education/2004/02/21/ixteright.html

In March 1999 Coldplay released their first single, the Safety EP. Phil Harvey, a schoolfriend of Martin's, spent £1,500 pressing 500 copies. The EP may have resulted in Coldplay landing a record deal with Parlophone, but the music business had to be kept at arm's length until Martin, Champion and Buckland had finished their exams (Berryman had dropped out in his first year). Martin was awarded a first in ancient world studies; Buckland and Champion got 2.1s in astronomy and anthropology respectively.

Source: Gentlemen Players

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2002/10/19/bmcold19.xml&page=2

I clearly remember there was a time when Chris didn't want to sing it anymore because I think he just got engaged with Gwyneth and that song was about another woman..and in one interview while they were in Australia the host of the TV show asked them what was the first australian thing that turned them on, Chris didn't want to answer and the host said "I think I know where she lives"..and Natalie is Australian

but I might be wrong :P

here's a little story on phil I came across

The eldest child of a chartered accountant and teacher, Martin formed his first band at prep school before going to Sherbourne public school. Here he met future manager Phil Harvey when he was 14 and together they expressed their love of music by buying U2's Zooropa.

His life at Sherbourne sounds by turns idyllic and terrifying. On the one hand there were encouraging teachers and time and space to write music. On the other hand Martin spent his early teens concealing a fear that he might be gay.

"You hide your vulnerabilities aged 14 because people will use them against you. And being gay at public school is all you'd imagine it to be--a fucking nightmare. I was 16 when I finally felt confident I wasn't. But the homophobia can be pretty intense."

At this stage, becoming a rock star was the furthest thing from his mind. Especially after a performance by his next band, The Rockin' Honkies, was met with open derision and Martin was booed off stage.

"The boys could be mean," recalls Phil Harvey. "And there was an attitude from teachers that Sherbornians shouldn't get involved in the pop music business."

However, two things changed his life. The first was an encouraging music teacher called Mr Skinner who approved of pop music. Second was the emergence of Radiohead.

and something about natalie too

In August 2001, Chris Martin decided he was going to forget self-doubt and paranoia and flex his newfound rock star cojones by inviting Australian singer Natalie Imbruglia on a date. He had, he says, "fancied her for ages", and was in a position to wow her with a considerable flourish of his new cachet: Coldplay were supporting U2 at Dublin's Slane Castle, and would she like to come along?

It augured well for love; Coldplay received a repturous reception and then, in the middle of U2's set, Bono segued into a few admiring bars of Yellow. The Irish roared. Admiring Bambi eyes turned Martin's way.

"Fame is bullshit," he says today. "But that was a moment where even I thought, You lucky bastard. Enjoy it!"

Martin declines to say how the relationship developed afterwards, though we may guess from the rueful floorward glance and the observation, "Actually, I behaved like a twat", that it wasn't all it might have been.

what if Phil stole her from chris?!

Here he met future manager Phil Harvey when he was 14 and together they expressed their love of music by buying U2's Zooropa....

...On the other hand Martin spent his early teens concealing a fear that he might be gay.

Hmm, could these two items be related???;) With a best buddy as hot as Phil, could you blame Chris for questioning his sexuality????:lol: Now that comment about him thinking he might be gay all makes sense!

^just checkin is all... she moved to london....

I couldn't agree more mel Guy can't do it alone lol Phil needs to make a cameo in a video and in a 2009 calender !!

Yes I am expecting a calander... and Phil should be on it! I've been searching my ass off but he's almost harder to find then Guy running the marathon!

^just checkin is all... she moved to london....

Yes I am expecting a calander... and Phil should be on it! I've been searching my ass off but he's almost harder to find then Guy running the marathon!

he is indeed! we need MI5 for this one :laugh3: