✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

01-Nov-08: Philadelphia - Wachovia Center - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concert Review: Coldplay (11/1/2008 @ The Wachovia Center, Philadelphia)

Reviewing a live show for a group as renown as Coldplay isn't really necessary, but since we snapped over 300 photos and shot more than 20 minutes of video, we owe it to you share some of our experience.

The Wachovia Center, which houses the Sixers and Flyers, played host to Coldplay for their November 1 show in Philadelphia. With a buzz already surrounding the city due to the Phillies winning the World Series, the stage was set for a night of celebration, waves of adulation and energy. Coldplay arrived as the headliner soon after Duffy and crew left stage.

From the get-go, the harmony of every instrument stuck out. While Chris Martin's voice is unique to him, the keyboard's electric tune met the rapping of the drums consistently, as Coldplay has perfected over the years. What the sound on the CD doesn't catch though comes when the lights flash during a guitar solo or when the group migrates around the stadium.

Perhaps unknown to Coldplay fans who have yet to attend a show came over an hour into the show when the four bandmates left center stage and headed towards the back of the venue. There they were prepped for a few acoustic songs, which they played at an armslength from overjoyed onlookers. From here they stood shoulder to shoulder to play as the near 20,000 person crowd followed every earnest lyric.

After a brief interlude, the group reappeared on stage. The large screens showed guitarist Jonny Buckland clad with a "Fightin' Phillies" shirt. Just as the sight of seeing this shirt, any mention of the Phils sent roars around the arena.

Overall, the concert was as flawless as one could really want it to be without being overly critical. The Wachovia Center doesn't house the best acoustics while the special effects they have at their disposal are as good as any. Getting to hear and see a band as big as Coldplay from multiple angles was something special while the variety they keep with their own songs also kept each song intriguing.

Below we have the set list from the show as well as a mass of pictures.

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno remix)

Talk

The Hardest Part

Postcards From Far Away

Viva La Vida

Lost!

The Scientist (acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic)

Viva La Vida (to interlude)

--Encore--

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

--Encore 2--

Yellow

Closing*

http://musicunderfire.com/2008/11/concert-review-coldplay.html

musuf1.jpg

musuf2.jpg

musuf3.jpg

musuf4.jpg

musuf5.jpg

musuf6.jpg

musuf7.jpg

musuf8.jpg

musuf9.jpg

musuf10.jpg

musuf11.jpg

musuf12.jpg

musuf13.jpg

musuf14.jpg

musuf15.jpg

musuf16.jpg

musuf17.jpg

musuf18.jpg

musuf19.jpg

musuf20.jpg

musuf21.jpg

It was a big Saturday night date night in Philadelphia. Well-heeled yuppies and giddy-to-be-there teenagers were all gussied up for the big show. By the amount of bunnies on the arms of lunkheads singing along to "Yellow" - I proclaim Coldplay the biggest babe magnets since mid-70's Jackson Browne. I've lost sight of how much fun the big arena show can be. Flashing lights, smoke machines, big screens, real crowd anticipation and skinny pasty-faced Brits at the top of their game all added up to a spectaculary risk-free spectacle. Chris Martin was totally engaging as the boy next door frontman with grandiose rock star moves (along with giving Craig Finn a run for the coveted most awkward dancer title) and local market savvy (several Phillies references). But the band certianly gets gigged for their silly, psuedo-military outfits. My advice - go another direction there.

It really is an exceptional sight to see 20,000 fans explode as one to the opening chords of "Viva La Vida", "Speed of Sound" or "Yellow". I felt like part anthropologist, part proud papa as I surveyed not only the crowd but my 12 year old son Sean blissed out at his first big rock concert. He sang, he pantomimed, he danced (unfortunately my rhytmic genes did not skip a generation), he fist pumped... he was completely immersed in the music. And my very understanding wife was jumping around like a teenager and having a tremendous time.

So it was hard not to love for all those reasons (plus the tix were free), but still... the sound was your basic, bad, cavernous, echo-y hockey rink sludge we've endured forever at the local enormo-dome. You also had your $7.00 beers and $12.00 roast beef sandwiches (two waters - $8.50!!) and $35.00 t-shirts! Sean wouldn't even let us buy him one. That's how ridiculous a $35.00 t-shirt is.

But certainly Coldplay was better than I expected. All four of their cds reside in my house, yet I've never actively played a role in listening to any of them. Viva La Vida (at least 4 or 5 songs) has been my son's constant car companion for at least 2 months so I've heard those songs A LOT and enjoyed them. So I was surprised at how many other songs I recognized during the concert - I gotta assume that's mostly through exposure via local public radio station WXPN.

Coldplay has two speeds - ballad and mid-tempo. I'm never gonna love them and I'm never gonna hate them. But I'm always gonna dig them for giving my son his first hit of a big time rock show and giving my wife that rock and roll buzz that I get so often I sometimes take it for granted.

http://teenkicks.blogspot.com/2008/11/coldplay-live.html

There are not so many videos on internet from this show still why?

My camera's memory space was low so i've not filmed much.

But still i am looking forward for a good video of Yellow which captures everything that Chris especially performing and also it appears to me that at a particular moment during Yellow he saw some signs people are holding them up in the front row.

I want to see it so badly....

Please help me any one....

and post some videos that captured Chris please...

Hi!!

I've been planning to post in this thread since the announcement of tour dates

and now that the show is over (nooooooo!), I've finally found my way here, whew!!

This was my first Coldplay concert and it was worth the wait!!

My seats weren't perfect but I was just glad to be there!

My experience for this show was different compared to my usual concert experiences.

I chose to request Sign Language Interpreters . It was my first time

experiencing a concert that way because while I don't need help following the songs,

I know Chris likes to chat with the audience and change things around so I didn't want to

miss a single thing from this band.

All in all, it went pretty well! I was afraid I'd not be able to see both the Interpreters and the band

but somehow it worked out. There were a few tense moments before the show

began because there was a chance I wasn't going to be able to watch through interpreters-- it was going to be too dark!!

Naturally seating for anyone wanting accommodations is placed out of the way

and in the dark areas so we weren't near any sources of light.

Those poor interpreters had to badger the Wachovia people

to go pester Coldplays people about allowing the use of a small

light to shine on the interpreters hands. At first we kept getting "No"

but eventually someone worked magic and got us a light for which we

were all so thankful!! They were kind enough to give us a set list as well.

I was at the front of my section and from where I was sitting, I was able to shake hands with Chris.

Which in turn completely caused meltingness....! I'm such a dork...though having had opportunities to

meet bands before and have experiences like that, Chris is the

only one who has what I call "The Stoopid Effect" on me.... sad, sad, sad...! :P

The boys walked right past me to get to the C Stage so the location was worth it!

I accidentally grabbed Jonny's shoulder or something...

(gently, not violently--don't hurt me!!) and unintentionally ignored the other 2 because

I had my eye on my target and didn't want to miss!

I would have loved to have said "Hi" to all of them but they move fast!

And yes I am ashamed of myself for missing Guy and Will, they were a couple of blurs!!

There are pictures capturing the moment but the guys were so hard to capture.

By the time photos were snapped, Chris was on to the opposite row

and Johnny came out as a bloo blur. Oopsie!

The music sounded great and I especially loved when Chris turned over Fix You to the audience.

It was as beautiful as I'd hoped it would be that it brought tears to my eyes.

It was also a thrill to get to here COL live, though I am sad it meant the sacrifice of Yes.

All of the songs from Viva were everything I hoped they'd be. One of my old favorites is

"Clocks" so that really knocked me out live. I was having so much fun that I ended up "singing" along

to the songs in Sign Language.I usually avoid doing that at concerts

because of shyness but Coldplay is such a blast!!

It was amazing to finally see for myself how hard the guys worked to put on a great show,

especially Chris with all of his crazy Gumby bends.

The confetti was more surreal than I ever imagined it could be, totally amazing!!

The butterflies blew away from my sections direction so one of the event staff

who kept an eye on us was kind enough to gather a few butterflies for me. Everyone was so nice!

Alrighty, enough babble!!

Here is my contribution to photos from this show. The pictures aren't as good as the boyfriend and I usually take.

Some turd at the Phillies Parade threw beer all over everyone and got my camera.

So it got dirty and somehow stuck on certain settings so we were unable to change the shutter speed, etc.

And there was the need to use phones and zoom because of the location but it's better than nothing!

My boyfriend took a billion photos so I could enjoy the show.

(For the record, he likes Coldplay but not as much as we do on this board.)

Ya know what? I babbled about the show so much that I'm just going to

make a 2nd post which will be just pictures, no babble...less scrolling...sort of!

Be right back with photos!

Lasers.jpg

ballz.jpg

chris_face.jpg

cmbg.jpg

Unfortunately our shots of the Fighting Phillies shirt were totally

useless but we got these. I just KNEW that shirt would be a hit here!

jb1_110108.jpg

scientist.jpg

c.jpg

cp_aww.jpg

staringatthesun.jpg

Whee! SO close!! That man is SO friggin' gorgeous up close!

If only the camera had been faster, he'd be facing us!

whee1111.jpg

This one made me laugh.

Will can do this job in his sleep!

will_sleep.jpg

This one is for all of you Jonny & Guy lovers...

I thought this was a neat image to catch!

jonnyguy.jpg

A bit of confetti...

confetti_bloolite.jpg

And that's about it....there's a few more but nothing special!!