🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Postcards From Far Away project | Previous pre-delivery discussion (thread closed)

Lore

Ok, just so I get this clearly:

-We are allowed to send two postcard, either homemade or of our citys.

- We have to write POSTCARDS FROM FAR AWAY PROJECT.

-We are asking Debs about the address to the guys? Or where do we send it?

Did I miss anything else ?

check the first post, under the second spoiler. i wrote that list of rules last night and it needs to be updated, but i will update it soonish with more things we've come up with, like sending a max. of two and using a template (only if you want).

we hope to have an address to mail these to once we ask debs next week. from what i understand, lore and i are working on an email to send to her to tell her our purpose and where to send them, if there's a better place than just EMI.

we really need to hammer out dates, i think. that to me is the next step.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lore, I told you that you'd only leave for 5 minutes!

As more people sign onto this, we need to make sure they understand to WAIT to send until we give the go-ahead.... I'm not too worried that people would send now, but as the thread gets longer, it might get a little unclear. :/

Ok, just so I get this clearly:

-We are allowed to send two postcard, either homemade or of our citys.

- We have to write POSTCARDS FROM FAR AWAY PROJECT.

-We are asking Debs about the address to the guys? Or where do we send it?

Did I miss anything else ?

I think these are more of suggestions at this stage than rules... we need to get to a conclusion abt all :)

and who is debs?

sorry for asking and asking...but i am a rookie here;-)

She's the main point of contact for the band/coldplay.com. And also probably the Oracle. Welcome to the forum by the way :)

I think the timing will depend on how we're getting the postcards to the guys. If we end up sending them straight to the bakery, the timing will have to be more precise. If we send them to someone else to deliver, we just need to have a certain deadline, but people can send them early to be safe.

Absolutely! If it's a personal delivery, as discussed before, then I think we need to get them all to the deliverer at least a week to ten days beforehand. The beauty of this way, though, is that they can be sent much earlier - as soon as they're ready.

(If this is the way forward we need someone who's got the time and the flexibility to fit in with whatever the agreed method of delivery is with Debs/the crew/EMI/whoever).

If everyone's sending individually, then it's impossible to predict exactly how long it'll take - they'll probably be turning up for a week or two. That is nice in a different way, maybe they'll get to look at each one a little more, but planning should be as precise as possible anyway.

how do you mean deciding "with the band" though? i think i just feel like debs at best will give us an address. i don't think they're going to really bend over backwards or give us a date when they'd like to recieve it. she'll probably be like "aww, sweet" and then forget about it until the postcards come in. i don't really think we can rely on management for much at all.

Debs probably would just give us an address now. But nearer the time, if we contact her and say "thousands of Coldplay's biggest fans have done this for them, how can we get these to the band?" I'm sure something could be organised.

The worst case scenario - deliver them to the EMI offices in Hanover Square, London. There's a nice pub round the corner, too :cool:

I'm leaving now.. it's great to see this thread growing so fast :D

see you later guys! :kiss:

Great work Lore, enjoy your rest!!

check the first post, under the second spoiler. i wrote that list of rules last night and it needs to be updated, but i will update it soonish with more things we've come up with, like sending a max. of two and using a template (only if you want).

we hope to have an address to mail these to once we ask debs next week. from what i understand, lore and i are working on an email to send to her to tell her our purpose and where to send them, if there's a better place than just EMI.

we really need to hammer out dates, i think. that to me is the next step.

yes and dates for UK, for Europe, for asia, australia, americas and africa in details.

dunno though how to do it :)

and also it is crucial taht noone strats sooner than the others

yes and dates for UK, for Europe, for asia, australia, americas and africa in details.

dunno though how to do it :)

and also it is crucial taht noone strats sooner than the others

Maybe someone in London can go to a post office and ask about the usual time it takes for postcards to arrive from those places... Or everyone can just ask at their local post offices in their respective countries. I don't think finding that part out will be too hard.

Maybe someone in London can go to a post office and ask about the usual time it takes for postcards to arrive from those places... Or everyone can just ask at their local post offices in their respective countries. I don't think finding that part out will be too hard.

Maybe my personal experience and the usual Xmas rush makes me pessimistic. My country's post can be no reference to anything, they will say it arrives in a day and it will arrive in 3 or so :S

Chelsea, have you worked on the ending to the letter yet? I think we had a few suggestions last night... (absolutely no pressure, just curious!)

i haven't really, no. i'm writing about 5 papers at once for uni right now, so i don't have tons of time until friday night to work more on serious writing besides one or two tweaks. i really do need help with an ending, though, since i've always been bad at those.

UK can probably be mailed a week before the deadline.

europe probably 1.5-2 weeks before.

US, 2.5-3 weeks before

everywhere else 4-5 weeks before.

that's just me estimating based on what people have said and personal experience, but i don't think the post office could really give us *that* accurate of a timeline, since it really depends on the individual piece of mail. i mailed 15 postcards from holland on the same day in the same mailbox to the same state in the US, and arrival time varied from 3 days to a month.

those times might be a bit generous, too, but better safe than sorry. and i think that no one should send anything until everyone agrees on a GO date, because then it'll look more like a unifed effort, and that's what the beauty of all this is IMO.

US, 2.5-3 weeks before

People really must check I think locally. Airmail from Japan to England arrives within ten days, if not a week.

US, 2.5-3 weeks before

that's just me estimating based on what people have said and personal experience, but i don't think the post office could really give us *that* accurate of a timeline, since it really depends on the individual piece of mail. i mailed 15 postcards from holland on the same day in the same mailbox to the same state in the US, and arrival time varied from 3 days to a month.

those times might be a bit generous, too, but better safe than sorry. and i think that no one should send anything until everyone agrees on a GO date, because then it'll look more like a unifed effort, and that's what the beauty of all this is IMO.

yes we should keep it shaped nicely on time

US, 2.5-3 weeks before

Yeah, but again, the times will depend on whether they're going straight to the bakery or to someone else first. And I agree that we need to make it really clear that people shouldn't go send these postcards tomorrow or something. When Lore gets back we can ask her to make it super clear in the first post...

Yeah, but again, the times will depend on whether they're going straight to the bakery or to someone else first. And I agree that we need to make it really clear that people shouldn't go send these postcards tomorrow or something. When Lore gets back we can ask her to make it super clear in the first post...

i'm operating under the assumption that the postcards will be mailed direct to EMI (or the bakery, if we're lucky enough to get an address, but i'm doubtful). the "mail to a person to have them dropped off thing" might work, definitely, and i think it depends on what people say, but personally i'm really wary about that for a number of reasons. i don't think we should make anyone from the coldplay camp have to meet us anywhere to pick them up, and if the person was just going to drop them off at the EMI HQ, why couldn't everyone just mail them direct? dropping them off at the bakery, too, seems a bit unsafe to me, since it's really more of a studio and hangout spot than an office, and it is empty a lot of the time. a bag/box of cards out in the rain wouldn't be so good, and then there's the whole matter of getting them beyond the locked gate.

as for mailing times, that was just me guessing :D. i don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but if we're looking to go cheap with postcards, i think we need to allow lots of time. i mean, from what i've heard, the UK mail system is pretty great since its a small country and things often arrive the next day, but to be safe, i'd say mail at least 4 days in advance if you live in the UK.

feel free to internet search, though, and see if you can come up with more accurate times :smiley:

Well we could always drop off at the Bakery and alert someone on Coldplay staff that they're out there... I don't know. I just like the image of the boys digging through a massive box than a few trickling in every day... But we'll see what happens. Whatever we have to do to make this work!

Well we could always drop off at the Bakery and alert someone on Coldplay staff that they're out there... I don't know. I just like the image of the boys digging through a massive box than a few trickling in every day... But we'll see what happens. Whatever we have to do to make this work!

That would be something really nice but also would require lots of assistance

and if the person was just going to drop them off at the EMI HQ, why couldn't everyone just mail them direct?

I suggested that as a last resort, in case the (very, very possible) plans A & B I suggested earlier didn't work.

There are benefits too, to doing it like that. Firstly, they arrive all together, hopefully nicely wrapped and arranged. And all at the same time, rather than a few here and there for weeks (which is what it will be like the other way, however good the planning is).

dropping them off at the bakery, too, seems a bit unsafe to me, since it's really more of a studio and hangout spot than an office, and it is empty a lot of the time. a bag/box of cards out in the rain wouldn't be so good, and then there's the whole matter of getting them beyond the locked gate.

I strongly suggest that if a personal delivery's decided on, and the chosen deliverer left them outside - especially when there would be other delivery options - that both the deliverer and the people who selected him or her be shot!!

as for mailing times, that was just me guessing :D. i don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but if we're looking to go cheap with postcards, i think we need to allow lots of time. i mean, from what i've heard, the UK mail system is pretty great since its a small country and things often arrive the next day, but to be safe, i'd say mail at least 4 days in advance if you live in the UK.

feel free to internet search, though, and see if you can come up with more accurate times :smiley:

Absolutely, as much time as possible just to be safe. In the UK 2-3 days is fine.

i love that image too, but i think it's hard to get in real contact with people that could tell the guys that there's a box waiting for them. there's always debs, yeah, but sometimes she can take a long while to reply to messages. i just don't really think we can rely on anyone else besides the coldplaying network to get this done.

maybe i'm just being a big old pessimist, though :P

i just don't want this to get caught in some loophole in the plan, like them getting destroyed by rain or stolen by a hobo in belsize park, or one of us waiting on a member of the coldplay camp to meet up with and them never arriving. i personally would be really crushed if we got so far only to have the, destroyed or undelivered! that's why i'm so big on mailing direct, but i also need to be shut up quite often :D

Is there not a Coldplayer in London that we could send them to, then they could deliver them?

It would be really cool if they all arrived at once - it would have more impact, don't you think?

Yeah, I was thinking the same, it would be nice to just give them a bunch of postcards, so they could actually notice how many fans from different countries has sent them postcards.

I'm sure they know they have many fans, but you know what I mean,

Is there not a Coldplayer in London that we could send them to, then they could deliver them?

It would be really cool if they all arrived at once - it would have more impact, don't you think?

You know, thats sounds like a good idea!!! That way everything could be more organized!!!!