✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

3-Mar-2009: Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setlist --

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Yellow

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Dance)

Talk (Dance)

The Hardest Part

Postcards From Far Away

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Speed Of Sound (Acoustic)

Green Eyes

Death Will Never Conquer (Will on Vocals)

Viva (Remix)

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

The Scientist

Life In Technicolor ii

Okay. It was amazing and incredible and fifty other different kinds of wonderful. You sort of forget how so enormously magnificent they are live, live until you're in their presence again.

I had reserved seating so I didn't get to Rod Laver until sometime around 8PM. I caught the end of Mercury Rev, I think, and I kind of regret not getting there early enough to listen to them in full. From what I did hear, though, their sound seemed pretty great. Planning on catching them tomorrow if I can.

Of course, completed the perfunctory photoshoot outside the venue and then pretty much spent the waiting hour detailing every little tidbit about the show for my sister and friend; the 'magic balls', the yellow balloons, piano solo of 'The Hardest Part', Jonny's guitar at the end of 'DAAHF' etc. I was directly in front of the stage, behind the FoH, and so who do I see? Miller -- setting up a camera facing the stage. I asked my sister and friend if I should go talk to him, get his signature (which I did, but not until after the show).

Jay-Z erupted from the speakers, followed by the Blue Danube, and knowing the band would walk on stage after they'd finished playing, I started preparing myself. Loved the setlist, which remained unchanged and found itself graffitied all over my arms by the end of the night. I was actually pretty disappointed in the crowd tonight. I was the only one who stood the entire time in my section (even though I was asked to sit down once, but it was really only for this banner I made -- which I stopped using but continued to stand, obviously), and looking around I could see that there were large blocks of people in reserved seating who barely left their chairs the entire performance. Which I can't understand.

But, yeah -- like I mentioned, the entire show was fantastic. A really, really great finish. The butterflies in "Lovers In Japan" were amazing against the backdrops -- it seemed like there were thousands and thousands of them. I think that knowing I have two more nights to come helps ease the disappointment of the show finishing. I got a few pictures and videos, but I’m not too sure how they’ll turn out once transferred onto the computer.

Once the guys had left the stage and the crew started coming out to clear up, I moved to the FoH main area and asked if I could possibly have a setlist. I scored one (although, it varied slightly from the night’s set), and I really couldn’t believe how easy it was -- after reading everyone’s experiences, it didn’t seem hard, but I just felt so nervous about it not happening. Would love to get a couple for the next two nights. I ran down to the GA area after to grab a handful of butterflies (I’m planning on grabbing a bag full on the last night when I’m actually standing underneath them). Then as I was coming back up the stairs to my section, Miller was back removing the camera he’d previously set up, so I went over to him and asked if I could get his signature.

He was really very cute, and terribly nice. He seemed a little surprised that someone was asking for his signature, but I was just like; “I know it’s a little strange, but we love you over at Coldplaying.com,” and he signed my setlist. I asked him how he was enjoying the shows (he thought they were great), and how he was enjoying Australia (he loves it, but said he was still jetlagged -- not too badly, but still there). He was really awesome.

It was a perfect night, and I really can’t wait until tomorrow. Just a great concert.

"Jonny, you are the sea, upon which we three float." -- Chris Martin, Green Eyes

Awesome!!!!!! It must have been such fun!

Then I ran down to GA and grab a handful of butterflies (I’m planning on grabbing a bag full, lol, on the last night when I’m actually standing underneath them). Then as I was coming back up the stairs to my section, Miller was back removing the camera he’d previously set up, so I went over to him and asked if I could get his signature.

He was really... cute, and terribly nice. He seemed a little surprised that someone was asking for his signature, but I was just like; “I know it’s a little strange, but we love you over at Coldplaying.com,” and he signed my setlist.

I asked him (and another lighting/ sound guy -- he wasn’t part of the Coldplay crew) how he was enjoying the shows (he thought they were great), and how he was enjoying Australia; he loves it, but said he was still jetlagged – not too badly, but still there. He was awesome – a good sport.

:dance: Yay Miller!!!!!!!! So glad you talked to him :D

And congrats on the setlist too!

"Jonny, you are the sea, upon which we three float." -- Chris Martin, Green Eyes

CHris said that tonight??? Awww :love::wacky:

Chris Martin Explains How He Became A Wanker

090303Coldplay030309--10601.jpg

by Paul Cashmere - March 4 2009

It appears Bono was right. Chris Martin is a wanker.

However, had chance happened any other way, the wanker could have been Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman or Will Champion instead.

At tonight’s Coldplay show at Rod Laver Arena, Martin told the story of how his wankerness was set more than a decade ago. “13 years ago we met and decided to become soft rock stars,” he told the Melbourne crowd. “At our first band meeting we had to decide who the lead singer would be and I drew the short straw. So for the last 13 years I’ve been taking all the shit including Bono’s swear words”.

This was Martin’s first public appearance since Bono said on the BBC, “I think he is that good a melodist. I mean, he's a wanker.”

It may have been tongue-in-cheek, but Bono still said it.

Martin’s tongue-in-cheek retort to Bono was also acknowledged with a slightly more subtle reference to U2 just before Coldplay came on. Before they came on stage, U2’s ‘Magnificent’ was playing over the loud speakers.

Martin knows his place in the music world for sure. “We are called Coldplay. We are one of England’s premium soft rock bands,” he said at the start of the show.

Not too soft mind you. While Bono gets to take the piss out of Chris Martin, Martin got to bitch-slap Celine Dion. “Even if you came along on the wrong night for a Celine Dion concert and you are just waiting around until she arrives, sing this,” he said launching into ‘Yellow’.

So how does Coldplay sound, you ask? Let me tell you (and once again quoting that well placed U2 song) MAGNIFICENT.

I’ve said it before and I’ll state it again. Coldplay is the last of the super acts. A Coldplay show is very much as dynamic as a U2 show (sorry Bono but he is as good as you) minus the gigantic outdoor circus act.

The band’s most recent album ‘Viva La Vida’ is one of the few “albums” of the 21st Century that was about a collection of songs united. This tour focuses directly on the ‘Viva La Vida’ album and despite the number of “new” songs in the current set list the album is of such substantial quality that it is a pleasure to hear them all live.

Here is the setlist from Melbourne, March 3, 2009:

Life In Technicolor (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Violet Hill (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Clocks (from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, 2002)?

In My Place (from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, 2002)?

Yellow (from Parachutes, 2000)?

Cemeteries Of London (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Chinese Sleep Chant (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

42 (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Fix You (from X&Y, 2005)?

Strawberry Swing (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Recorded: Talk (from X&Y, 2005)?

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, 2002)?

The Hardest Part (from X&Y, 2005)?

Postcards From Far Away (from Prospekt’s March, 2008)?

Viva La Vida (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Lost! (from Viva La Vida, 2008)?

Speed Of Sound (from X&Y, 2005)?

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic, sung by Will)?

Viva La Vida (from Viva La Vida, 2008)

Politik (from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, 2002)?

Lovers In Japan (from Viva La Vida, 2008)

Death And All His Friends (from Viva La Vida, 2008)

The Scientist (from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, 2002)?

Life In Technicolor ii (from Prospekt’s March, 2008)?

Recorded: The Escapist (from Viva La Vida, 2008)

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=7756

Incredible. Incredible. Incredible.

It was amazing. Unbelievable, but I forgot how so enormously magnificent COLDPLAY are LIVE, live.

I had Reserved Seating, so I didn't get to ROD LAVER until about 8.00PM; caught the end of Mercury Rev, I think -- and I regret not listening to them in full; they had an incredible sound. Hopefully, I'll hear them tomorrow. Possibly the only support act I'll enjoy!

Anyway, of course, took photos out the front of the venue; posers... Then I spent the waiting hour detailing basically every little tidbit about the show for my sister and friend; the 'magic balls', the yellow balloons, piano solo of 'The Hardest Part', Jonny's guitar at the end of 'DAAHF' etc.

I was directly in front of the stage, behind the FoH – and who do I see? Miller! Setting up a camera facing the stage. I was asking my sister and friend if I should go talk to him, get his signature (which I did, but not until after the show).

Jay-Z erupted from the speakers, followed by the Blue Danube; I felt like a true Coldplay fan knowing that they'd be on next -- stood up, jumped around! Concert started; loved the setlist -- it didn’t change -- I wrote it all over my arms (pictures to follow on Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday).

I was disappointed in the crowd -- I swear I was the only one who stood the entire time in my section; I was asked to sit down once, but it was really only for this banner I made -- I stopped using the banner, but I continued to stand!

Like I mentioned, the entire show was fantastic – I won’t go into detail, but if you want to know any specifics, please just ask!

Great finish – the butterflies in ‘Lovers In Japan’ were amazing against the backdrops – there were thousands and thousands of them! For the first time I didn’t feel disappointed after the end; most certainly because I still have two nights to go.

I got a few pictures and videos, but I’m not too sure how they’ll turn out once transferred onto the computer – we’ll see...

So the show finished, I moved to the FoH Main Area and asked if I could ‘Please have a seat list,’ I scored one (although it varied slightly from the night’s set). Couldn’t believe how easy it was – after reading everyone’s experiences, it didn’t seem hard, but I was just so nervous it wouldn’t happen! I’m going to try and get one for the next two nights!

Then I ran down to GA and grab a handful of butterflies (I’m planning on grabbing a bag full, lol, on the last night when I’m actually standing underneath them). Then as I was coming back up the stairs to my section, Miller was back removing the camera he’d previously set up, so I went over to him and asked if I could get his signature.

He was really... cute, and terribly nice. He seemed a little surprised that someone was asking for his signature, but I was just like; “I know it’s a little strange, but we love you over at Coldplaying.com,” and he signed my setlist.

I asked him (and another lighting/ sound guy -- he wasn’t part of the Coldplay crew) how he was enjoying the shows (he thought they were great), and how he was enjoying Australia; he loves it, but said he was still jetlagged – not too badly, but still there. He was awesome – a good sport.

It was a perfect night, and I really can’t wait until tomorrow. I think I got everything in – I do have a question for anyone who went GA tonight though; what time did you start lining up?

Best. Concert. Ever.

awwwww...glad u had fun!!

hope u'll have more fun tomorrow (u definitely will!) :D

So the show finished, I moved to the FoH Main Area and asked if I could ‘Please have a seat list,’ I scored one (although it varied slightly from the night’s set). Couldn’t believe how easy it was – after reading everyone’s experiences, it didn’t seem hard, but I was just so nervous it wouldn’t happen! I’m going to try and get one for the next two nights!

Awww... that's so nice!! :nice:

Congrats on getting the setlist and so glad you had a great time :dance:

ilovealias4ever summed it up pretty well. All I'll say on top of that is this - I may have hung out with Guy and Phil after the show at a hotel!

:wideeyed: Details please!

Coldplay prove themselves special as they rock Rod Laver Arena

IT'S easy to see why Coldplay have become the world's biggest band in less than a decade.

Quite simply they've got brilliant songs and plenty of them - a knack for timeless melodies first displayed on Yellow which stretches to triumphant anthem Viva la Vida - the soundtrack to pop music in 2008.

It's harder to see why Chris Martin has such a problem with his own band; his constant self-criticism is instantly negated by the euphoric reaction that greeted Coldplay at last night's Rod Laver Arena show.

Martin seemingly finds it harder to embrace his band than the fans do - introducing them as ''one of England's premiere soft rock bands,'' last night.

Whatever.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends pulled off a rare trick - experimental but accessible and also last year's highest-selling album worldwide.

After boring themselves with the bloated autopilot stadium rock of previous release X&Y, accordingly their latest tour is a deliberately intimate show in a not-so-intimate venue.

The attention to detail is impressive. Multiple screens and two huge catwalks which knock out plenty of floorspace - a bad move financially but a priceless way for diehard fans to get closer to their heroes.

Then a tiny stage at the rear of the venue lets those in the nosebleed section get up close and personal with the band.

Like their music, the staging techniques aren't original, but Coldplay are masters at recycling in style and injecting their own charm.

Pleasingly heavy on songs from Viva la Vida, their stunning live show saw envelope-pushing album tracks like 42 and Chinese Sleep Chant alongside tried-and-true world-beaters like Clocks, The Scientist and Fix You.

Forget what Chris Martin says, Coldplay are something very special.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25136716-5006024,00.html

Coldplay clock up a winner

COLDPLAY

Rod Laver Arena

Reviewer Andrew Murfett

BONO may have jokingly called Chris Martin a "wanker" this week, but Martin responded in the most emphatic way possible last night as he led Coldplay through an outstanding night of modern rock.

Playing the first of three shows at Rod Laver Arena on their first tour in almost three years, the band are more than 100 shows into a world tour and have their 90-minute arena extravaganza down pat.

The multi-stage performance features two catwalks and umpteen multimedia tricks.

Last year was a reinvigorating one for Coldplay, which employed famed producer Brian Eno to help them record their fourth album, Viva La Vida.

It was a worldwide smash and won them a swag of Grammys last month.

Opening the show behind a sheer curtain with Life In Technicolor, the band quickly lurched into a rocking Violet Hill.

Album highlight 42 was also given a terrific reading as it was paired with Fix You.

Martin remains an eccentric and charismatic performer, often skipping around the stage. His voice crackled a little early on but swiftly recovered.

The band dressed like 19th-century French revolutionary soldiers in costumes they designed themselves.

Introducing the members, Martin described them as "one of the premier soft-rock bands from England". Pre-show, he joked with journalists backstage when asked about Bono's comments.

"I think it's great we have arch enemies," he said, after relating details of a quiet night out in the city with his father at CBD haunt the Gin Palace.

Although the new album was well represented last night, and its title track generated a huge singalong, the set list also embraced Coldplay's biggest hits: Clocks, Yellow, Speed of Sound and In My Place. With them came the gimmicks — the strobe lights for Clocks and yellow balloons for Yellow.

A crowd of about 13,000 was squashed into the venue, but Martin endeavoured to make the show as intimate as possible. The Scientist, for instance, was performed on a mini-stage, up in the nosebleeds.

Martin's self-deprecating humour is a key show trait and was on frequent display for last night's performance, which eventually soared in all the right places. Brilliant.

Coldplay play Rod Laver Arena tonight and tomorrow.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/music/coldplay-clock-up-a-winner/2009/03/04/1235842419551.html

wow! I'm so glad you had such an awesome time :D and its souns like Miller was luvverly :)

ilovealias4ever summed it up pretty well. All I'll say on top of that is this - I may have hung out with Guy and Phil after the show at a hotel!

you can't say something like that and then go to bed :P we need more info

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1Z-E6PSt8]YouTube - Postcards From Far Away + beginning of Viva La Vida - COLDPLAY: Viva La Vida Tour Melbourne 2009:[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzHgLnL4Jno]YouTube - COLDPLAY: Viva La Vida Tour Melbourne 2009: The Hardest Part (Acoustic)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trNWTkZDnE8]YouTube - COLDPLAY: Viva La Vida Tour Melbourne 2009: Fix You[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzpCoZgCp0]YouTube - COLDPLAY: Viva La Vida Tour Melbourne 2009: In My Place[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzpCoZgCp0]YouTube - COLDPLAY: Viva La Vida Tour Melbourne 2009: In My Place[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlMVBD2r74]YouTube - COLDPLAY: Viva La Vida Tour Melbourne 2009: Talk[/ame]

Some Twitters from earlier:

grayishwing: Coldplay concert was made of AWESOME.... Chris Martin is definitely one of the most amusing yet fascinating entertainers I've seen yet...

about 6 hours ago from web

Koritsi: Loved the Coldplay concert tonight!!!!!!!!!!

kincuri: @coldplay thanks lads for an aces show tonight, even if it was a Tuesday night! :)

about 7 hours ago from twitterrific

theLoksta: Has "free merch" from Coldplay - a busted Yellow balloon and multi-coloured butterflies ;-)

about 6 hours ago from TwitterFon

sasha99: The Coldplay concert was AMAZING! Chris Martin is out of this world!

Koritsi: Loved the Coldplay concert tonight!!!!!!!!!!

samdevlin: Just got back from seeing coldplay -great gig, but these aussie don't mosh like the brits!

about 7 hours ago from web

judily: Coldplay rocked! w00t!

apples33ds: just got back from Coldplay... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. Front row baby and it was something special :)

steevan: Coldplay are standing 2 ft away from me http://twitpic.com/1tf69

about 9 hours ago from Tweetie

montyhamilton: http://twitpic.com/1tf60 Incredible in this day and age, @coldplay walks into crowd, up aisle to waiting guitars, plays from the crowd!

about 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry

montyhamilton: http://twitpic.com/1tetl Fark... This is a very good concert, @coldplay very good live

about 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Hotel and time for lining up

Oh my god what hotel are they at?!?! I am going out hunting today and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out :) Also, what time is everyone thinking of lining up??

I went and saw Coldplay tonight. I wasn't expecting much, mainly because I only like their latest album. They were really, really, stress-on-the-really brilliant. Chris played a bit of Satie's "Gnossienne No. 1", which was definitely my highlight (mainly cuz I'm STILL obsessed with that song...). There were glow in the dark streamers, yellow balls filled with confetti, lasers and four really good performers. So damn brilliant.

http://savagesparrow.blogspot.com/2009/03/coldplay-and-collages.html