✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Mar-2009: Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the concert was great!!! The boys were great! (loved the part when Chris asked Jonny if he was in love, and he replied YEAH! And Chris was like, "you are f***ing awesome!". The crowd.. oh boy, nz crowds need to work on being.. a crowd. I was really excited about the viva la vida mix where everyone waves their phones and sings along... yeah... didn't quite happen. I think chris kinda thought the same.. when he wasn't expecting a yes when he asked how the crowd was.. still, a great concert!! got some good videos

Stupid crowd! :dozey:

Glad you had fun anyway! :D

Oh man words cannot describe that! Best concert I've been to easily. Loads of photos so I'll sort through them tomorrow and post the good ones.

Couple of videos although not too many as one of the stewards came and told me off so I stuck to photos after that. Didn't want to film too much anyway as it stops you enjoying it properly.

Stupid stewards! :P

Yay for the pix! :dance:

2275170.jpg

I wish he'd leave his hair just like that for a while :wacky: , & teach Guy how to do that too! :dozey:

Setlist:

Life in Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Yellow

Cemeteries of London

Glass of Water

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version)

Talk (Techno Version)

The Hardest Part (Chris and Will)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Green Eyes (Acoustic)

Short Acoustic song with Will vocals (anyone know the title?)

I'm a Believer (Acoustic)

Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

Encore 1:

Politik

Lovers in Japan

Death and All His Friends

Encore 2:

The Scientist

Life in Technicolor ii

The Escapist (outro)

So 'Speed of Sound' was missing from the Australia setlists I've seen on here but no complaints. You can't get everything.

Will post more of a review and photos later. :)

Review: Coldplay in concert

Six years is a long wait for one of the biggest bands in the world to head to New Zealand.

But finally on Wednesday night, Coldplay kept a promise to us Kiwis - that if we built a decent arena, they'd play it.

The last time they graced these shores was in 2001 at the Big Day Out.

So with heavy expectation at the Vector Arena, the stage was set for a welcome return.

And boy - they did not disappoint.

After a slightly muted (and woefully brief) turn from Hollie Smith, ethereal 90s soundscape creators Mercury Rev took to the stage.

With blasts from the past including Holes from their greatest album Deserter's Songs, the band set the right tone for the night ahead.

Advertisement

But clearly the entire audience was there to see Coldplay grace us with hits from their past albums and from their current album, Viva La Vida.

After a breakdancing cleaner (!) swept down the side stages for the band, they erupted onto the stage.

And then everyone fell in love - once again - with Chris Martin and the boys.

Two giant screens midway in the arena allowed those far, far away at the back to enjoy the thunderous show they put on - lasers strobed the arena during Clocks, the lights pounded during Politik and the entire audience sang along to Fix U.

It's difficult to sum up the kind of energy Chris Martin brings to every performance - from skipping across the stage to theatrically falling down during the end of some songs, he clearly gives us heart and soul during every show.

That's probably some indication of why this is one of the hottest shows in New Zealand - or even the world - right now.

But the band hasn't lost their playfulness either with Martin exalting us to be loud enough and they would play some of their old stuff - cue Yellow complete with balloons falling from the rafters and being punted around the Vector until they exploded with confetti sprawling out.

However, the best moment of the night came when Coldplay showed they haven't lost their personal touch.

Leaving the stage on what appeared to be a victory lap, they took up residence right at the back of the arena to perform a slightly more intimate few numbers - including Green Eyes, a song from drummer Will Champion and a thunderous version of the Monkees I'm a Believer.

It was then after Chris explained you don't take a 97 hour flight and not meet everyone, that the band amply demonstrated why they have put on the best show this year - so far.

When it ended and the audience dutifully filed out, there wasn't an unhappy face to be seen as they spilled onto the streets.

If you don't have a ticket to Thursday night's final performance, beg, borrow (but don't steal) whatever you need to get there.

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/review-coldplay-in-concert-2566891

The song that Will sang was Death Will Never Conquer.

Thanx! :dozey:

I asked The Oracle a while ago, she's gonna slag me off tomorrow! :laugh3:

I shouldn't have trusted CP-concert virgins' reviews! :P