✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Mar-2009: Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the concert was great!!! The boys were great! (loved the part when Chris asked Jonny if he was in love, and he replied YEAH! And Chris was like, "you are f***ing awesome!". The crowd.. oh boy, nz crowds need to work on being.. a crowd. I was really excited about the viva la vida mix where everyone waves their phones and sings along... yeah... didn't quite happen. I think chris kinda thought the same.. when he wasn't expecting a yes when he asked how the crowd was.. still, a great concert!! got some good videos

Ooh awesome! Glad to see you enjoyed it! Yay!

I video'd the March 14 one at Acer Arena, we had a problem... ran out of memory! Damn! That's ok though because I had my uncle on the job for the March 15 concert :) so it should be awaiting my arrival :)

I'm so annoyed sitting here doing some study, knowing that there is a concert in New Zealand at the moment.

Not to mention the remainder of the tours planet-wide lol... Ugh! Sucks! :(

well the concert was great!!! The boys were great! (loved the part when Chris asked Jonny if he was in love, and he replied YEAH! And Chris was like, "you are f***ing awesome!". The crowd.. oh boy, nz crowds need to work on being.. a crowd. I was really excited about the viva la vida mix where everyone waves their phones and sings along... yeah... didn't quite happen. I think chris kinda thought the same.. when he wasn't expecting a yes when he asked how the crowd was.. still, a great concert!! got some good videos

Can't wait to see your videos! Glad you had a great time :dance:

Oh man words cannot describe that! Best concert I've been to easily. Loads of photos so I'll sort through them tomorrow and post the good ones.

Couple of videos although not too many as one of the stewards came and told me off so I stuck to photos after that. Didn't want to film too much anyway as it stops you enjoying it properly.

Oh man words cannot describe that! Best concert Didn't want to film too much anyway as it stops you enjoying it properly.

Ahh, on Saturday my neighbour and our two best mates came... my neighbour was recording pretty much the whole night, which was pretty cool. Now if it weren't for her, there would have been no way in the world I would have remembered what I saw from the position we had! I was too busy singing/rocking it out lol.

And then I had the guts to be upset because she didn't film Viva La Vida lol :cry: which backfired since she said 'oh yeah, and what were YOU doing while I was filming???' :laugh3:

Agree though, you don't have the words to describe how awesome their performance was. 4 days later and i'm still on a Coldplay high :)

Btw: Zeya. Are they your Coldplay bracelet things? May I ask where you got them from, if they are yours? They are woah, awesome!

Review: Coldplay at Vector Arena

Say what you like about Coldplay - the band knows how to control atmosphere. They have the rare and awe-inspiring ability to change how you feel, and change how an entire room feels.

It had been six long years - and two chart topping albums - since Coldplay last came for a meet-and-greet in New Zealand so it was only fitting the band put on a proper show at the Vector Arena. From the hypnotic laser show that accompanied Clocks early in the night, to the pulsing, blaze of strobe lights that capped off Politik, the band treated us to all their best bells and whistles.

Martin pulled out his best dance moves - like the erratic jerking of a puppet in knots - and even drummer Will Champion gave a little something extra in the form of an original bluegrass ditty he wrote some years back. They played the new hits and the old favourites. But Coldplay's greatest skill is playing the crowd, which they did with such deft precision it left no doubt as to why this band are so big.

They even broke out their best Les Miserables costumes to accompany a French revolution backdrop.

As giant yellow confetti filled balloons rained from the ceiling during their early hit Yellow, all of Vector Arena delighted in the bouncing rubber spheres. As Chris Martin pulled a pew up to his piano and played the haunting, opening lines of 42, goosebumps prickled the necks of all those present.

As glowing spherical lamps descended from the ceiling, the crowd stood mesmerised by the twirling, psychedelic pools of multi-coloured light. As the band ran from the main stage to the back of the arena and into grand stand - where they played songs including a cover of The Monkees' I'm A Believer - the sell-out audience beamed as the band showed they weren't too cool to get among them.

"You can't come all the way to New Zealand without coming to the back of the room," said Martin. "After a 97-hour flight, you want to meet everyone."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10562456

Gig review: Coldplay in Auckland

2275170.jpg

Coldplay gave new meaning to the word 'epic' as they played the first of two shows at Auckland's Vector Arena. Reviewer Chris Schulz was there.

Forget about the faux French Revolution uniforms. Flag away accusations they make "music for bedwetters". And ignore all that gossip about the Hollywood marriage, the macrobiotic diet and naming your kids after fruit.

When Coldplay take to the stage, something epic happens.

Singles you've dismissed as radio-friendly fodder become foot-stomping classics. Songs thought of as straight U2 ripoffs turn into surprisingly grunty rock numbers.

And you'll find yourself singing along to previously ropey ballads, as the British rock act bend them into stirring singalongs, warming your heart like a nice hot cup of cocoa.

Even frontman Chris Martin stops being an annoying celebrity do-gooder when he plays live, endearing himself to the crowd with his tailor-made lyrics, self-deprecating humour and overwhelming energy.

Thanks to his rafter-raising voice and deft piano skills, you can even forgive Martin when he dances around like a drunk teddy bear, pretending he's been shot.

Yep, Coldplay took Vector Arena's sold out crowd to epic heights not yet seen at the two-year-old stadium in their first New Zealand show in a whopping six years.

Patient fans who'd waited that long to see them were treated to a two-hour set of hits cherry-picked from Coldplay's four albums - including many from last year's award-winning Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

They were adorned with more garnish than a Christmas dinner spread. Lasers scanned the crowd. Giant orbs descended from the roof. Giant screens illuminated the stage. Glitter machines flooded the arena with paper butterflies.

And runways down the sides of the stadium allowed Martin, bassist Guy Berryman, drummer Will Champion and guitarist Jonny Buckland to get up close and personal with their fans.

At one point the quartet delivered a daft disco remix of God Put a Smile on Your Face using miniature instruments set up on one of the runways. They were so close to the crowd, at least one fan fainted.

Then there was the mid-set three-track routine performed at the very back of Vector, as the foursome perched precariously on a small stage. Martin said was like performing "on the edge of the Grand Canyon".

It didn't all run to plan. They had their very own Spinal Tap moment as giant confetti-filled balloons bounced around the stadium, with two of the biggest landing - and popping - over Chris Martin as he sang a disjointed version of fan favourite Yellow.

No wonder he couldn't sing properly - he was too busy clearing confetti out of his hair and booting balloons off the stage. Perhaps some football boots would have helped.

But Coldplay delivered where it counted, peppering their set with epic anthems and soaring ballads that prove they deserve to be counted among the world's biggest bands.

There was the laser-enhanced version of Clocks, the wildly energetic In My Place, the feel-good vibes of Strawberry Swing, the drum-heavy Viva La Vida, the middle-eastern tinged prog-rocker 42 and the concert-opening-and-closing Life In Technicolour.

And Politik proved Martin can take the blandest of lyrics - in this case it's, "Open up your eye-eye-eye-ahh-eye-eyes" - and turning it into something powerful and memorable.

It's a bloody hard trick that, time and again, Coldplay make look all-too easy.

They didn't play Speed of Sound, but it didn't matter when they belted out breathtaking ballad Fix You, which saw a piano-based Martin acting like a crowd conductor as 12,000 Kiwi fans sang nearly the entire song for him.

It just doesn't get more epic than that.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/2275039/Gig-review-Coldplay-in-Auckland

Gig review: Coldplay in Auckland

Forget about the faux French Revolution uniforms. Flag away accusations they make "music for bedwetters". And ignore all that gossip about the Hollywood marriage, the macrobiotic diet and naming your kids after fruit.

When Coldplay take to the stage, something epic happens. Singles you've dismissed as radio-friendly fodder become foot-stomping classics. Songs thought of as straight U2 ripoffs turn into surprisingly grunty rock numbers. And you'll find yourself singing along to previously ropey ballads, as the British rock act bend them into stirring singalongs, warming your heart like a nice hot cup of cocoa.

Even frontman Chris Martin stops being an annoying celebrity do-gooder when he plays live, endearing himself to the crowd with his tailor-made lyrics, self-deprecating humour and overwhelming energy. Thanks to his rafter-raising voice and deft piano skills, you can even forgive Martin when he dances around like a drunk teddy bear, pretending he's been shot.

Yep, Coldplay took Vector Arena's sold out crowd to epic heights not yet seen at the two-year-old stadium in their first New Zealand show in a whopping six years. Patient fans who'd waited that long to see them were treated to a two-hour set of hits cherry-picked from Coldplay's four albums - including many from last year's award-winning Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

They were adorned with more garnish than a Christmas dinner spread. Lasers scanned the crowd. Giant orbs descended from the roof. Giant screens illuminated the stage. Glitter machines flooded the arena with paper butterflies. And runways down the sides of the stadium allowed Martin, bassist Guy Berryman, drummer Will Champion and guitarist Jonny Buckland to get up close and personal with their fans.

At one point the quartet delivered a daft disco remix of God Put a Smile on Your Face using miniature instruments set up on one of the runways. They were so close to the crowd, at least one fan fainted. Then there was the mid-set three-track routine performed at the very back of Vector, as the foursome perched precariously on a small stage. Martin said was like performing "on the edge of the Grand Canyon".

It didn't all run to plan. They had their very own Spinal Tap moment as giant confetti-filled balloons bounced around the stadium, with two of the biggest landing - and popping - over Chris Martin as he sang a disjointed version of fan favourite Yellow. No wonder he couldn't sing properly - he was too busy clearing confetti out of his hair and booting balloons off the stage. Perhaps some football boots would have helped.

But Coldplay delivered where it counted, peppering their set with epic anthems and soaring ballads that prove they deserve to be counted among the world's biggest bands. There was the laser-enhanced version of Clocks, the wildly energetic In My Place, the feel-good vibes of Strawberry Swing, the drum-heavy Viva La Vida, the middle-eastern tinged prog-rocker 42 and the concert-opening-and-closing Life In Technicolour.

And Politik proved Martin can take the blandest of lyrics - in this case it's, "Open up your eye-eye-eye-ahh-eye-eyes" - and turning it into something powerful and memorable. It's a bloody hard trick that, time and again, Coldplay make look all-too easy. They didn't play Speed of Sound, but it didn't matter when they belted out breathtaking ballad Fix You, which saw a piano-based Martin acting like a crowd conductor as 12,000 Kiwi fans sang nearly the entire song for him.

It just doesn't get more epic than that.

20090318auckland1.jpg

20090318auckland2.jpg

20090318auckland3.jpg

20090318auckland4.jpg

20090318auckland5.jpg

20090318auckland6.jpg

20090318auckland7.jpg

20090318auckland8.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz