✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Mar-2009: Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well actually there's a long story behind the bracelets...:D

Yeah last night I was reading up about them after doing a search. It's made by people out of rubber... when I get mum's credit card or something it's time to get em! :)

Finally got a chance to sit down and relive the concert.

Easily the best concert I have been to even if it is only my 4th (the previous being Snow Patrol x 2 and Matchbox 20). It was also my 4th time at Vector Arena (Snow Patrol, Matchbox 20 and Billy Connolly previously) and the first time I have seen it sold out and packed from wall to wall. Previously it's only been half full with the stage pushed forward and half the place curtained off. It's hard to put into words but I think 'epic' is the best way to sum it up in 1 word. It had everything - spectacular globes hanging from the ceiling with special effects, lasers, balloons bouncing throughout the crowd, the band going up into the audience for a short acoustic set and tonnes of multi coloured confetti flying all over the place.

Finally the lights went out, Life in Technicolor began playing and the band emerged onto the stage at about 9.15pm. Anticipation was high after sitting through a couple of pretty mediocre support acts (in my opinion anyway - at least, they did nothing to make me want to seek them out on youtube or listen to their albums which support acts from previous concerts have done for me). Great opening from Coldplay went straight into Violet Hill then Clocks which was accompanied by an amazing laser light show then In My Place. Brilliant opening to the concert.

Chris Martin then asked the crowd to make a lot of noise if we wanted some older hits like Yellow. Yellow then began after much screaming and yellow balloons filled with confetti appeared from nowhere and bounced throughout the crowd before eventually burtsing. I filmed almost all the song until one of the stewards asked me to stop so I stuck to photos after that.

The show continued with the same setlist and Fix You and Viva La Vida were highlights with the entire crowd singing every word. The band then went up into the the stand at the back to play a few acoustic tracks amongst the crowd. Green Eyes was followed by an old Will sung track (Death Will Never Conquer). A cover of I'm a Believer then followed which was very well received by the crowd.

There was then a short break while the band returned to the stage and they went into Politik which was followed by Lovers in Japan during which tonnes of multi coloured confetti appeared from nowhere. They said their thanks and left the stage after Death and All His Friends. A few people on the ground started leaving but I said to my mate that they were leaving a bit early. There hadn't really been a proper encore and there were still 2 or 3 quite big songs that hadn't been played yet so I was sure they'd be back. And they were with The Scientist which is one of my favourites. Life in Technicolor ii completed the show which made a great ending.

Turned into an expensive night with the $180NZ ticket, the $50 tour t-shirt with show locations on the back and the $25 program I bought, added to parking and dinner costs but it was well worth it. Pretty good program actually. Usually they cost about the same but are much thinner and not worth looking at.

Now I'll start sorting through photos and post the ones that came out OK, along with my videos.

Out of interest, did anyone else get really worried about Chris at the end of 42?? I thought oh yep, having us on, but then he kept breathing really weirdly and in pain, and it looked like he was gonna fall off his chair, i freaked out to my mum haha "Oh my god!!! There is something seriously wrong with him!!!" and then he belted out that really long note..

Out of interest, did anyone else get really worried about Chris at the end of 42?? I thought oh yep, having us on, but then he kept breathing really weirdly and in pain, and it looked like he was gonna fall off his chair, i freaked out to my mum haha "Oh my god!!! There is something seriously wrong with him!!!" and then he belted out that really long note..

Haha not at all,it was obvious he was playing....:p

I was worried!

When he first started singing, he sounded off. When he talked to the crowd, he sounded sick so I thought he must be feeling under the weather or something. Then the whole weird thing with 42 and I thought, "Damn! He is sick! Is he going to faint?!"

Not sure whether he was play acting or not.

Btw, Speed of Sound wasn't played right? I don't remember that but it's listed on the unconfirm setlist.

EDIT: Will try to post my pics and review tonight. I haven't yet sorted through my pics yet.