✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Feb-09: Coldplay/The Killers - War Child gig, Shepherd's Bush, London (Reviews, Pictures, Videos

Denise

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

Again, same here :lol:

hahaha... I'm a big Killers fan... okay, I know nothing about them, but I sing every Killers song and I love all their albums... but it seems that it's all about Brandon... maybe it's just me, because I don't visit regularly any killers forum or website... but I don't even know the othe guys' names :lol: one is Ronnie or something like that :P

Same here :lol:

Pris... how much work do you get done exactly??? :thinking:

You mean at my actual job?? :P

:stunned: :uhoh:

I'm soooo glad i've never used a picture of me as my avi.... with what i post in the berrythread (and lately in the will thread too :blush:) i really don't wanna be in Phil's fangirl-to-be-avoided-at-all-costs list...... :P

Priscilla (full name used for emphasis), you'd better not be cheating on the Berryman!!! :angry:

You mean at my actual job?? :P

Yeah, you seem to get time to do a heck of a lot of posting during the day...

Priscilla (full name used for emphasis), you'd better not be cheating on the Berryman!!! :angry:[/color][/b]

I'm not!!! I'm not!!!

I would never cheat on him :wacky:

Plus, Noelia would kick my ass if i dared to look at Will :P

Yeah, you seem to get time to do a heck of a lot of posting during the day...[/color][/b]

Well, if you notice i haven't been here for long, i used to lurk though 'cause my job gave me no time to do anything else. However, thanks to the lovely economic drop :dozey: the project i was working on has been on hold since september, and now my work load is very flexible..... to say the least :confused:

I give in!! I can't cope anymore, I need some sleep! I've had 5 hours in the last 40 and its not enough :(

Wiki is semi done & will be done in more detail tomorrow. Media Reviews are on, I need to go back through this thread to pull out the fan reviews & add them.

Night all :kiss:

:cheesy:

it's probably really selfish and annoyingly smug to say, but it makes me really happy that at least for a bit, we're known as the guys that sent the postcards :nice: :blush:.

do you think phil was serious when he said he visited here THREE TIMES A DAY? :freak: that blows my mind :lol:. i wonder if he just said that to be nice...?

He sounded honest about it, I remember he did emphasise loudly from a great height the 'coldplay_ing.com' bit to confirm who we were, it was still quite loud as people were leaving :D

I can't believe I'm finally done with reading, looking at the pics and watching the videos :stunned: It took me ages... But it's worth it!

Thanks everybody for the reviews, pics, videos and links! When I saw the performance of Viva La Vida I literally started crying... Damn it, Chris was soooo close to the crowd!!! :shocked2: :bomb: OH I WISH I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

The perfect boy band? Bono, The Killers, Coldplay and Gary Barlow at War Child

warchild_1_489848a.jpg

With Coldplay and The Killers nominated in a total of five categories at this year’s Brits, it seemed inconceivable that, between them, the two bands wouldn’t emerge from Earls Court with one or two trophies.

And with that in mind, what better way to celebrate than to join forces in aid of War Child and triumphantly bash out a few tunes? In the end, both bands emerged empty-handed.

If you had to guess which of the two groups might be most affronted by the perceived ignominy, chances are you would plump for The Killers’ ambitious Flowers over Coldplay’s congenitally self-deprecating Chris Martin. Oh, we of little faith.

As it turned out, it was the slender black-clad Flowers who raced out onto a stage far smaller than his Las Vegas quartet have had to play in recent memory, buzzing with a life-force that could light the streets of a small market town.

The reason for his good cheer was literally staring him in the face. In the centre of the balcony Pet Shop Boys’ Neil Tennant gazed on proudly as The Killers delivered riotously joyful versions of hits such as Somebody Told Me and Mr Brightside.

An hour previously, at the BRITS, Flowers had presented his teenage idols The Pet Shop Boys with their outstanding achievement award and duetted with them on It’s A Sin.

As a marker of ambitions realised, this must have been as real – not to mention more enjoyable – than any award. And it showed. Towering over a drum kit that barely contained the energy he unleashed on it, drummer Ronnie Vanucci was a picture of merry catharsis as, just for once, a perpetually grinning Flowers swapped imperiousness for puppyish wide-eyed glee.

He paid fulsome tribute to Coldplay by declaring that, years ago, “the first time we heard this band… we felt we were in with a chance [too].”

When Coldplay finally materialized in the early hours of the morning, any similar attempts to take positives out of their Brits snub were conspicuous by their absence. “We just came back from Japan, we lost at the Brits, it’s been a s**t day,” said Martin.

And yet, as he bounded about the stage like a wired, punch-drunk Tigger repeatedly attempting to get back up after another rain of blows, you wondered if there was a link between the ramshackle brilliance of Coldplay’s set and the body language of a band, dressed in their customary battle gear, with a newly-sharpened point to prove.

They could have hardly done so in more empathetic surroundings. “Shall we play this one? It’s a little commercial,” said Martin as he donned acoustic guitar for Yellow.

He turned the microphone to face the audience, but even he seemed startled by the word-perfect clarity with which his words were sung back to him – so much so that he barely attempted to chip in.

If Neil Tennant had planned to unwind in relative anonymity after his big moment, any remaining chances of that happening were cast aside after Martin, like Flowers before him, spotted him on the balcony.

With a mixture of blithe playfulness and genuine excitement, Martin pointed at him in the middle of a spittle-flecked delivery of Viva La Vida and exclaimed, “Ladies and gentlemen! The Pet Shop Boys!”

Far from recoil, Tennant’s reaction was extraordinary and inspired. With the “woah-oahs” of the song resounding around the venue, Tennant raised his arms and imperiously started conducting the thousand-odd people staring back up at him.

That this impromptu spectacle was about to be eclipsed by something proper and planned was confirmed as a crowd of people, some with walkie-talkies, busily fussed at the side of the stage – and Martin declared, “Okay, you’re gonna like this a lot.”

As Jonny Buckland strummed the opening chords of Take That’s Back For Good – a song which Martin has been wont to interpolate at recent performances of Coldplay’s own The Scientist – Gary Barlow gingerly walked on stage and radiated precisely the unalloyed humility that has made Take That’s resurgence such a pleasure to behold.

Far from emanating the starry entitlement of a Brandon Flowers, Barlow seemed reticent to turn around and soak up the fact that, for four minutes, Coldplay were his backing band – complete with Martin living out a teenage dream and chipping in with “I want you back” backing vocals.

In terms of what followed however, this spectacle was but a mere hors d’oeuvres. One by one, The Killers returned to the stage and donned musical instruments. Not so much starting as slowly coalescing around a thrilling upswell of drums and feedback, the American quartet’s 2004 hit All These Things That I’ve Done took glorious shape.

As noise turned into rousing clarion call, “You know you gotta help me out,” it was at this point that a black-clad Bono chose to make his entrance, beckoning the crowd to him as Martin and Flowers stood alongside him.

What ensued seconds later was, in its way, possibly the most moving part of the evening. Realising that Barlow was nowhere to be seen, Martin – determined the Take That frontman should also be in on this – almost pushed the U2 singer over in his sudden compulsion to ran off in search of him.

Seconds later, all four singers stood in a perfect boy-band line just long enough for disbelieving onlookers to memorise what may go down as the most brilliantly surreal finale seen at this or any rock venue in several years. “I’ve got soul but I’m not a soldier”, they all bellowed.

This wasn’t the post-Brits lap of honour that Coldplay had hoped. It was much, much better than that – and a salient reminder of what, for bands like Coldplay and The Killers, the real prizes are. With friends like this who needs awards?

do you think phil was serious when he said he visited here THREE TIMES A DAY? :freak: that blows my mind :lol:. i wonder if he just said that to be nice...?

Haha, he probably does to get all our opinions on the important matters, like Guy's pink coat :P.

Guys, some amazing stories, Jen I know you are asleep but a special thanks for the plethora of photos here and on your facebook, so good! And to everyone else, such great stories, Phil, how close you were, waiting outside, etc, all amazing, you guys are really really lucky :D :D!!! I can't type a lot coz I am lost for words at the amazement of this gig!!! :D :D

And the best quote:

film premiere light thingy

:lol: :P.

Guest LiquidSky
Jen's Enormous Review Part 1

Ian and I arrive in London at approx 12:30pm. We checked in, and I texted Mich to let them know we had arrived. The reply came back to say they were at the venue, and the Victims had already started the queue (allegedly at 6am :shocked2: ). A fter a quick, 2 second, consultation, we decided to hot foot it over there and join them.

We got the tube to Shepherds Bush, came out of the station, and couldn't work out which way we were going. Luckily, the nice lady handing out Specsavers leaflets gave us directions! We joined the Coldplaying contingent near the front of the queue. By this point, I think we were upto Mich, Kara, Kelly, Lori, Kirsten, Carol and the lovely couple from Birmingham (its so lame, my tired brain cells refuse to produce their names from the depths of last night).

n557815010_2654199_1519.jpg

n557815010_2654200_1792.jpg

n557815010_2654201_2041.jpg

n557815010_2654203_2556.jpg

I have never queued for so long in my life, for anything (about 7 hours for Ian & I :\ ). Mid-way through, I doubted my sanity, as it started spitting with rain, and the temperature fell, but I tried positive thinking that if we could get front row it would all be worth it (and I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams how very worth it those 7 hours were!! but more to follow on that later :D ). Bits of it were boring, but the time passed suprisingly quickly in the end. Shepherds Bush Common is a busy area so there was plenty to keep us occupied (good conversation; the blue carpet layers; the sparkies sorting the film premiere style lights;emergency services whizzing past; and trips to the shops/pub for warmth/food/drink/toilet breaks).

fire engine action shot!!!!!

n557815010_2654204_2807.jpg

film premiere light thingy

n557815010_2654206_3313.jpg

It got dark surprisingly quickly, and up popped 3 guys with guitars. chatting to one of them we discovered that the o2 Empire had employed them to keep the queue amused. I don't think they could have imagined how well Coldplaying would take to this, and the Coldplaying Backing Choir was born!! Allegedly, according to one of the guitar men, we were the best part of the queue and the guys near the back weren't anywhere near as enthusiastic (not sure if this was due to the fact we'd been there so long that we even found the Empire switching on its outisde lights exciting!!)

n557815010_2654210_4368.jpg

n557815010_2654211_4642.jpg

Shortly after 21:00, they opened the doors. Due to them checking tickets, ID, and bags, the entry was relatively slow & civilised, so no running was required. We were in the front row on jonny's side of the stage. The Killers were due on at 23:10, so we settled in for more waiting. By this point, it should have felt like nothing, but it still felt like an eternity as we counted the minutes. Luckily, we were able to keep ourselves amused with on-stage roadie spotting, keeping up-to-date with Brits news via Twitter & Mel (good job we had Mel on texts because after 8 hours my phone battery died! ty hun :kiss:), and watching the people in the balconies.

Some cool Architecture inside

n557815010_2654213_5209.jpg

Stage set up ready for the Killers

n557815010_2654214_5503.jpg

That's Miller behind those drums, that is!!

n557815010_2654217_6387.jpg

Around the time Anchorman (or was it Phil or #42, I forget) twittered to say that U2's roadies had helped ours to load up at Earls Court, we saw our first peek of them on stage, moving in the big cases with Coldplay on the side. At one point, Franksy came out and was talking to some guys near the back of the stage. Ian tried to get a piccie of him, but the flash settings were playing up. Once Ian finally got a clear shot, Franksy had noticed what he was doing and flashed him a v-sign.

That's part 1 done for now :D

Okay! I have to read all this entire thread!:stunned: