✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Feb-09: Coldplay/The Killers - War Child gig, Shepherd's Bush, London (Reviews, Pictures, Videos

Denise

Too amazing, seriously.

But (!) I'll be seeing both The Killers AND Coldplay on the Rock Werchter Festival in Belgium on July 3. Yes, they will be sharing the same stage (again).

So here's to hoping for another collaboration. That would be freakin' awesome.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to post some more pics, but Roadie 42 has decided to join the party instead!!

#42 reports back from a magical night in London

Well bugger me - we made it!

Obviously, now it's done it seems like it was nothing, but going into it, it felt like there was a lot of potential for trainwreck. We've done a complete lap of the planet in just over a week, a bunch of awards show madness, a quick Japanese tour and topped it all off with a mad dash across town into a charity show, getting a whole gig's worth of gear set up in a matter of hours for an absolute belter of a night.

The Brits rehearsals pass in a blur. There's an eight hour gap between dress rehearsal and the show, so there's a move to bail for the hotel. I decide to wait for the second van and kill some time in the dressing room. On the drinks table is a brochure for a bunch of free spa treatments available in the backstage area. Now obviously, these are intended for pop superstars and not grimy roadies, but hell, the band left ages ago. I'm tempted by the spray tan purely for the comedy value, but eventually chicken out, settling instead for a neck and shoulders massage to chase away the long hauls.

After thirty minutes of having my spine re-arranged, I feel so relaxed I can barely stay awake long enough to get back to the hotel. I book an alarm call so I'm ready for the 6pm van back to the gig. Needless to say, I pick up and put down the phone and head back off into the land of nod. By sheer fluke I'm awakened by traffic noise and dive out the door into a cab.

The Brits performance goes pretty well, I think - not that I'd know, as from my spot I can just about see the back of Guy's bass rig and nothing else. The bass rig did very well though, I thought...

Time then to heave all the gear over to Shepherd's Bush. Out the back of Earls Court, U2's crew have kindly let us jump the queue and bring our truck in first. They even give us a hand loading it up - what wonderful gents.

So then, the Shepherd's Bush Empire show for War Child.

I haven't done a gig inside Shepherd's Bush Empire for years. Back when I was last in here, it was the biggest gig I'd ever done. Today though, it looks very small indeed. It's essentially a theatre. What could be more sensible then, than trying to cram two arena bands onto the tiny stage?

The Killers are first up and in perfect Vegas style, they have a wonderfully palm-tree laden stage set. I've never seen these guys live before and they are blindingly good. Indeed, when they steam into Somebody Told Me, the response from the crowd is so huge that it feels worryingly like our fellas' show will just be an after-thought.

As ever in situations like this, the setlist changes several times in the approach to showtime. Whilst the Killers are on, the tiny corridor beside the stage becomes our crew office as we pore over the current incarnation of the plan and work out just how we're going to make it work. Will passes through on his way for a watch of the Killers. He leans in to ask Bash a question (entirely unrelated to the gig) and in the belief that he's come with information on just what the hell might happen later, he's immediately surrounded by the entire crew, who crowd him like cattle round a farmer with a feed-bag. He's as non-plussed as the rest of us. We do know that the setlist we have in front of us has had Yellow and I'm A Believer dropped from it though.

The changeover actually goes very smoothly. Credit undoubtedly to The Killers' wonderful crew and the calm forethought of Kurt our stage manager. Pretty soon, the fellas are on and it's clear that it's going to be a special night.

Pretty soon too, the setlist is all but a memory. Chris shouts across the stage that they're going to do Yellow after all. To me, it makes sense. Just as the last time I worked on a gig here it was the biggest thing I'd done, so too did Coldplay play here in 2000 and I bet it felt huge to them back then. Almost a decade later here they are absolutely blowing the roof off the place with the same song.

bwc01.jpg

The roof went on to go some distance further as the evening (or rather the morning, it being around 1am by this point) progressed. The encore began with a joyous and celebratory romp through Viva La Vida. The sound of a crowd roaring this back at the stage never fails to impress. There's something though, about the fact that in a venue this size you can actually see the whites of the eyes of the person furthest away from the stage that means that it feels like the biggest New Year's Eve singalong ever. Not bad for February, I guess.

Chris has promised the best encore of all time and his first weapon to back up those claims is Gary Barlow from Take That. The fellas have been dropping a short version of this into the live set for a while now, so it was pretty inevitable that they'd give this one a shot. The crowd greet Gary with a riotus reception and the party is into full swing. Jon Hopkins is at the piano and it's one big 1am drunken singalong.

bwc02.jpg

bwc02a.jpg

The final blowout comes in the shape of the Killers' track All These Things That I've Done. Suddenly the stage is quite simply awash with folks. The Killers have come up and have plugged into Coldplay's gear, taken over the drumstool and the piano. Bono, from young Dublin hopefuls The U2s has nonchalantly walked on to deafening applause. Chris has dragged Gary Barlow back onstage. It's noisy, it's chaotic - in places, quite frankly it's a complete fucking mess, but this is exactly as it should be and it's completely excellent.

bwc03.jpg

bwc03a.jpg

bwc04.jpg

I remember weeks ago in the Bakery, Chris talking about doing this gig and mentioning the idea of inviting guests on for a big finale. "It'd be great to turn it into just one big ol' Brits party" he said. Well, they've not just had a party, they've had something to celebrate. It was an absolutely belting gig.

Roadie #42

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=326

Part 3:

Where did I leave off? oh, yes, the Blue Danube.

The Blue Danube hits a crescendo, the lights go out, the screams intensify & the first notes of Life In Technicolor play out. Finally, those 10 and a half hours, are over!!! Out walk the boys, and we're off!

n557815010_2654238_2699.jpg

n557815010_2654239_3015.jpg

unfortunately, I think I'm going to be about as useful as I was after the Absolute gig. So many things seem to merge, and the fact that during the encores I went into meltdown & was completely incoherent doesn't help much either. At the point LiT started, and the band came on stage, I entered a very happy place, the buzz of which hasn't worn off yet, and I have lots of fragmented memories. Singing my heart out, semi-dancing & taking photos seems to have done for my memory recall.

This gig felt completely different to any I have ever been to before, and at the moment I can't place why. It felt that way, even before the most amazing encore ever! The only thing I can put it down to is sharing the experience with a fab group of Coldplayers & it being some incarnation of the Coldplay Karma.

n557815010_2654249_6364.jpg

LiT and Violet Hill were great, but Clocks kicked up a notch again for me. I've not felt that emotional during Clocks for a few years now, but the minute it started all the old, happy feelings flooded back. Just as a clarification, for years Clocks has been my favourite live song but back in December it just didn't have its usual magic spark. In the early hours of this morning (it was today!!!!! this time yesterday we were stood at the barrier contemplating roadies!!!), it was back with a vengeance.

In My Place was awesome. It felt like the whole venue was singing along. And then in the middle, Chris came to the very corner of the stage, right in front of us, and sat down against the wall. I couldn't believe how close he was. He was even closer than the gig at Absolute a few weeks back!!!

n557815010_2654251_7061.jpg

n557815010_2654252_7405.jpg

Yellow definitely had the whole venue singing along, and Chris pretty much left us to it for a while.

n557815010_2654329_3676.jpg

n557815010_2654336_5510.jpg

After Fix You, they had a quick break, before coming back on. First up was Viva La Vida. Which rocked! When Will bangs that drum, he's like a maniac! I have a lovely picture of the drum, with blurred Will standing over it!!

n557815010_2654359_2146.jpg

n557815010_2654361_2764.jpg

Next up came one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I still can't believe it happened. My two favourite bands on the whole planet semi-collaborated! Unfortunately in the process, I reverted to the teenager I never was, and screamed in a way I never have before. The most I ever screamed before was when Sale Sharks won the Guinness Premiership Final a few years back. I don't do screaming fan girl, and until that final hadn't thought I was actually capable of really screaming. This morning, I surpassed that, and apologies to Anna who was in the unfortunate position of being right next to me!

Just to clarify why I was screaming, on the verge of tears, and going weak at the knees. I am a huge Take That fan as well as a Coldplay fan. One of the most amazing experiences of my life was when this happened (and I did behave like a sensible human being then, so why last night was different I don't know):

860b05e7.jpg?t=1235080758

2d680cc6.jpg?t=1235080798

So, having seen the rumours on Twitter that The Sun was saying Take That were going to perform, I allowed myself a glimmer of hope, but didn't pin too much hope on it happening. Particularly as Anchorman was playing hard to get & would only Twitter that there was going to be a special guest.

Chris starts his introductions, and I still didn't really believe it was happening, until Gary walked out onto the stage. Even looking at these pictures, I still can't quite believe I didn't dream it. Gary & Coldplay performed 'Back For Good' whilst the whole room sang along. You couldn't make it up!

n557815010_2654368_5001.jpg

n557815010_2654369_5330.jpg

n557815010_2654372_6322.jpg

n557815010_2654374_6992.jpg

And if you thought the evening couldn't get anymore surreal, there was the last song. Akillers song, with Coldplay & The Killers, but no, we couldn't possibly leave it at that, so we'll just throw in Bono & Gary Barlow as well. All sense of reality had completely dissipated by this point. God job I was sober, if I'd been drinking I don't think my brain could have coped with what it was seeing.

n557815010_2654378_8371.jpg

n557815010_2654381_9400.jpg

n557815010_2654382_9762.jpg

n557815010_2654384_473.jpg

n557815010_2654385_835.jpg

n557815010_2654389_5587.jpg

The night doesn't end there though, oh no, no!! I draped over the barrier for a bit whilst I tried to comprehend what had just happened, and whilst we waited for the room to clear. The girls shouted to Matt, and he handed over Jonny's setlist and some other bits and pieces. He also seemed a little baffled that they were calling him by name.

Whilst we were stood around, someone spotted Phil on the balcony (I think it was Kara & Mich). So we shouted to him, and he stopped and talked to us for a few minutes. Mich already mentioned the gist of the conversation, so I won't add anymore. I don't think any of us took any photos as we were so stunned he stopped to chat for a few mins.

We slowly made our way out via the toilets & the merch stand. To the right, near where we had been queueing were some mercs with blacked -out windows and some paparrazi hanging around. Whilst we were discussing what to do next, the paparrazi suddenly sprinted off down the road after someone. Someone mentioned it was possible Sienna Miller leaving.

Ian & I decided to call it a night, as it was approaching 2am by this point. We said bye and wandered up the road to try and grab a black cab. At the other end of Shepherds Bush Common we got lucky. As the cab drove back past the Empire, the paparazzi flash bulbs were going, and the Mercs were driving off. They must have come out of the door about 15/20 mins after we left.

And that is Jen's story of one of the most surreal 24 hours of her life. Its the most amazing show I have ever been to, and it will take some topping.

Great review Jen :D :kiss:

Whilst we were stood around, someone spotted Phil on the balcony (I think it was Kara & Mich). So we shouted to him, and he stopped and talked to us for a few minutes. Mich already mentioned the gist of the conversation, so I won't add anymore. I don't think any of us took any photos as we were so stunned he stopped to chat for a few mins.

dammit why not :P

I want detaiiiiiiillsss like EXACT words!

dammit why not :P

I want detaiiiiiiillsss like EXACT words!

Mich and Lori: Phil!

*nothing*

Coldplayers as a whole: PHIIIIILLLLLLLLLL

*Phil turns looks surprised, waves*

Coldplayers: Hi!

Phil: Hi. How do I know you? (:nice:)

Coldplayers: You don't. We're Coldplay fans, Coldplaying.com, we sent the postcards!

Phil: Oooooh, the postcards wow *thumbs up* they were great. I love Coldplaying.com I visit three times a day

Coldplayers: *various squeals of appreciation*

Phil: That's so cool.

Coldplayers: Byyyye Phil

There you go :P

*nothing*

Coldplayers: You don't. We're Coldplay fans, Coldplaying.com, we sent the postcards!

Phil: Oooooh, the postcards wow *thumbs up* they were great. I love Coldplaying.com I visit three times a day

pretty accurate summary! i like :D

Awesome review, Jen :kiss:

*nothing*

Phil is adorable :wacky:

&...

BLOODY HOT! :dead:

bwc03a.jpg

okay this is cutteee :D

are yu guys in any of the pics? you are right?

*nothing*

EPIC

thank you Michie :kiss:

I'm so sorry but I can't keep awake just now to type anything, I had to spend all day in Oxford Street with my son and haven't slept for I don't know how long and walked about a million miles but it was so worth it and am on my Dad's computer to add to it, all I can say is, OMG what a gig and I met Chris after nearly 10 years!!

I'll be back ( and I was papped!!)

And you are all lovely. XXX

bwc03a.jpg

okay this is cutteee :D

are yu guys in any of the pics? you are right?

in roadie #42's pics? I can't see myself, but I am directly behind Gary's bum in this pic. the security guard you can see was stood slightly to my right, and rescued me with more water after 'Back For Good'!!!

bwc02.jpg

in roadie #42's pics? I can't see myself, but I am directly behind Gary's bum in this pic. the security guard you can see was stood slightly to my right, and rescued me with more water after 'Back For Good'!!!

bwc02.jpg

squeeeee for (being behind) his bum :P

thank god for that security dude!

surely he thought you needed it after all the squeeing you did during back for good :D

they should give out water more often

squeeeeeeeeeeeee for the setlist!!

n557815010_2654393_6583.jpg

Couldn't you have given me a warning that you were not only taking a picture of the setlist but also of me as well??

I specially held my breath not to shake so much and I look like a real zombie ... :laugh3:

Well, not really surprising after such a long wait and such a fantastic gig :)

You too: Gary Barlow finds himself in boy band heaven

After all these years, you would think that Gary Barlow was comfortable with the idea of sharing vocal duties with three other blokes. In mitigation, the scene that accompanied the Take That singer was like nothing he had experienced in his career. Occupying the spaces where Barlow was accustomed to seeing the other three members of his group were Bono, Coldplay’s Chris Martin and Brandon Flowers of the Killers.

If Barlow, 38, couldn’t believe what he was seeing, he was not alone. At the War Child benefit concert 2,000 disbelieving fans sang along, marvelling at the surreal boy band lineup.

Two hours earlier, at Earls Court, such a finale was unforeseeable as Coldplay emerged from the Brit Awards with none of the four awards for which they were nominated. The prospect of a celebratory show with the Killers (nominated for two, won zero) must have seemed best avoided.

But commitments, especially ones made for charity, are there to be fulfilled. In contrast to the Killers, who tore through their hits with a joie de vivre that defied resistance, we were left in no doubt how Martin felt about the way the evening had gone.

“We lost at the Brits, it’s been a s**t day,” he said. As he bounded about the stage like a punch-drunk Tigger, you wondered if there was a link between the aggressive brilliance of Coldplay’s set and the body language of a band, dressed in customary battle gear, with a newly sharpened point to prove.

They could have hardly done so in more empathetic surroundings, with an audience of familiar faces: Courtney Love, U2, Sienna Miller and Martin’s wife, Gwyneth Paltrow.

When Martin espied Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys (recipient of the Outstanding Achievement Brit) on the balcony he pointed at him during Viva La Vida and exclaimed, “The Pet Shop Boys!”. Tennant’s reaction was inspired. With the “woah-oahs” of the song resounding around the venue, he began imperiously conducting the audience.

Then, cometh the hour, cometh the Barlow. As Jonny Buckland, Coldplay’s guitarist, strummed familiar chords, Barlow, who walked on gingerly, was seemingly reticent to turn around and soak up the fact that, for the duration of Back for Good, Coldplay were his backing band.

As the song ended, he clearly thought his work was done. Martin had other ideas. While Bono and Brandon Flowers emerged from the mêlée to sing The Killers’ 2004 hit All These Things That I’ve Done, and the Take That singer left the stage, Martin almost pushed Bono over in his compulsion to run off in search of him.

Seconds later there Barlow was testing out the facial expression of a man who had just discovered £1 million had been placed, possibly erroneously, in his bank account and didn’t know whether he ought to tell someone.

In what must rank as the most brilliantly bizarre finale seen at any rock venue in years, they bellowed: “I’ve got soul but I’m not a soldier”.

It wasn’t the postBrits lap of honour that Coldplay had hoped for. It was much better, and a reminder of what, for bands such as Coldplay and the Killers, the real prizes are. With friends like this who needs awards?

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article5769342.ece