✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

24-May-2009: Hershey Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to remember that he's only human. I can imagine how frustrating that must have been for him, injuring himself only moments after walking onstage and still having to perform in front of thousands of people who have already paid their money and are expecting him to give a great show. It's a lot of pressure...

Was it a bit childish? Yes, but he didn't seem to be putting anyone in danger or anything, just taking out his frustration on the damn sparkler.

Woah, I just saw this. That boy was pissssed about his wrist, talk about having a tantrum :o

From 0.40 in

First Guy & then Chris.....who's gonna be next, Jonny?! :rolleyes:

When Guy got pissed about his bass though, I totally understood why he got angry A) His bass broke off during VLV which is always a highlight of their shows B) Smokers get pissed VERY quickly! :dozey:

But CHRIS?!

He doesn't smoke, he plays yoga.....he's just CHRIS!

I bet he was thinking "I'm shit & I was supposed to get better, now I ruined it.....MUST.HURT.SELF! :bigcry:"

:P

Anywho, I hope he gets better soon, I wuv that man so much! :heart:

Woah, I just saw this. That boy was pissssed about his wrist, talk about having a tantrum :o

From 0.40 in

^^ and Guy looked HOT when pissed Ab :mellow: plus he didnt do anything except smoke a lil of a ciggy........he didnt physically do anything! just looked pissed!

yeah mmmm everyone has said just anout everythign about this, but its ok, everyone gets angry Chris is human too..... plus with all this recent stress with the shows and him getting sick and having to cancel shows etc......it was just a sparkler but it can be frustrating for him i know cus he is so hard on himself....

:\

*is a bad person and secretly wants guy to be pissed at my next show so i can take hot piccies of him pissed* :devilish:

:uhoh:

*Crosses fingers :devilish:*

Mouhaha Liz I see right through you :angry:

You're such a bad girl, do that to your Guy :disappointed:

Go go Liz ! :devilish:

:angel:

ahh :disappointed: i dont want him to be truly upset......just maybe a tiny bit :devilish: cus then I can make him smile and laugh again like last time :sneaky:

mhhwhehhaha

^^ and Guy looked HOT when pissed Ab :mellow: plus he didnt do anything except smoke a lil of a ciggy........he didnt physically do anything! just looked pissed!

yeah mmmm everyone has said just anout everythign about this, but its ok, everyone gets angry Chris is human too..... plus with all this recent stress with the shows and him getting sick and having to cancel shows etc......it was just a sparkler but it can be frustrating for him i know cus he is so hard on himself....

:\

i agree 150%.

chris does get hurt, too people. he was mad at himself. i'm just glad he's alright.

Am I the only one who thnks his little tantrum was kind of funny? Only because my friend and I could see it perfectly from where we were in the bleachers and we didn't realize what was going on...just saw him kicking and throwing things, which we thought, at the time, was so endearing because it was the first time seeing him in a LONNG time....Oh, look, Chris is doing silly things on stage...that's soooo Chris....hahaha Little did we know what was really going on....I totally understand his fit, though...I'd be throwing things around had I just burned my arm on the sparkler/torch after slipping coming onstage...and after the torrential downpour with lightning everywhere...and after the hot, hot heat...and traffic....I mean, we really should have seen the fit coming, I guess... poor Chris... Let's just hope they're all well for the Pittsburgh show!! Wish me luck!! :anxious:

Am I the only one who thnks his little tantrum was kind of funny? Only because my friend and I could see it perfectly from where we were in the bleachers and we didn't realize what was going on...just saw him kicking and throwing things, which we thought, at the time, was so endearing because it was the first time seeing him in a LONNG time....Oh, look, Chris is doing silly things on stage...that's soooo Chris....hahaha Little did we know what was really going on....I totally understand his fit, though...I'd be throwing things around had I just burned my arm on the sparkler/torch after slipping coming onstage...and after the torrential downpour with lightning everywhere...and after the hot, hot heat...and traffic....I mean, we really should have seen the fit coming, I guess... poor Chris... Let's just hope they're all well for the Pittsburgh show!! Wish me luck!! :anxious:

Please don't crucify me but at the time I thought it was pretty funny when he fell. I had totally forgoten the fact that he had a lit sparkeler in his hand. Really it was the roadies fault for not securing the stage after a rain storm like that. I didnt see his tantrum but on the Youtube video it was just plain shocking.

ahh :disappointed: i dont want him to be truly upset......just maybe a tiny bit :devilish: cus then I can make him smile and laugh again like last time :sneaky:

mhhwhehhaha

:uhoh: but... but ... you're EVIL ! :stunned:

Please don't crucify me but at the time I thought it was pretty funny when he fell. I had totally forgoten the fact that he had a lit sparkeler in his hand. Really it was the roadies fault for not securing the stage after a rain storm like that. I didnt see his tantrum but on the Youtube video it was just plain shocking.

I won't crucify you, I'll do worse ! :devilish:

Does someone have a video in which we can see him falling ?

Does someone have a video in which we can see him falling ?

Bonjour Perrine!

You can see it in Pallavi's 500MB video, somebody cut the video and uploaded the first seconds on zshare but I can't find it right now...

I'll let you know when I do!

Yeah actually its right what Sean said i thought about that too,The roadies at the time working on stage must take care of the rain water on the stage and must make it dry or do some thing for it so that after they come on stage the show must go well without making any troubles for the band..Well i don't blame them too because all are there on the work...but still i got that thought about roadies....

Any way all over i enjoyed this night really what ever it is,Chris fall on stage,rain and anything else...

I am happy i love open air shows,it might rain but still i feel free to move and everything.

And i totally will not blame the audience in any other sections ,not in my section because some of them came to their first show,some doesn't even heard about this band,and some may have got a bit mood off because of the rain so any of those reasons may hit them but still in my section all the people shouted loud all the time....:)

geez you guys are a bit harsh on him. sparklers burn at a much higher temperature than normal flames, so to get a burn from one of them must hurt like a bitch, particulalry if you can't get it seen to straight away.

After spending years as an avid music fan and attending shows I recently announced to my husband, an even more rabid concert goer, that those days had come to an end for me. The shows were becoming less and less worth the aggravation associated with large crowds, late nights and the long drive home from the venue, not to mention ticket cost. It would take a very special occasion or a very special band for me to make an exception. Enter Coldplay.

If you follow my blog you know I love this band because I've posted about it several times. In my opinion, they are the world's most talented band right behind U2. (I still haven't worked out whether Coldplay would consider that a compliment or if they would even care.) So when a tour date was announced for Hershey, PA we jumped on tickets as soon as they were made available. It helped that my resident rabid concert goer was on Hershey Stadium's mailing list which gave us first dibs at seats- something I would recommend to you if there is a band you really want to see. Since we're on tight a budget (Britain or Bust) we had to settle for the cheap seats. The most expensive tickets at nearly $100 a pop were out of the question, especially with three of us going.

So last night was the show and we arrived a 1/2 hour early, not really concerned about being seated for the opening act, Pete Yorn, who was scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. No sooner did we enter the parking lot when the skies over Hershey opened up and delivered on us a torrential downpour that lasted nearly forty minutes. Since Hershey Stadium is an open-air venue I was concerned that the rain would threaten the show. Even though our tickets said rain or shine, I wasn't about to sit through a two hour concert getting soaked to the bone. I was willing to make an exception to my recent "no concerts" rule for Coldplay but this would truly be stretching the limits of my patience. We waited in the car for the rain to stop and I filled my time wondering aloud which Einstein decided that open-air venues in the northeast were a good idea.

And just like that, the rain stopped. Concert on. We made our way to the stadium and to our seats as quickly as we could manage. Even though we bought the cheapest tickets, our seats ended up being on the floor of the stadium, another benefit of getting them early I suspect. Unfortunately though, we were sitting too far back from the stage to take good photos, so you won't see any included in this post. Pete Yorn took the stage almost immediately and while he was enjoyable, I was glad that he agreed to cut his set short so Coldplay could start on time. Once again, the sky threatened rain.

But it wasn't to be. Coldplay opened their set with "Life in Technicolor", followed by "Violet Hill" and "Clocks". The spirit of the crowd had not been dampened by the weather and they gave Coldplay a rousing welcome. It was after "Clocks" that Chris Martin admitted he was in a "sh*t mood" because he had tripped coming on stage and burned his arm. As of today, I still haven't heard how he burned it or how bad it was. Sitting where we were, we had no idea that anything had happened. I'm sure the weather didn't help his mood either, as well as the fact that the stadium was only half full, a blow to anyone's ego I'm sure. Still, Chris thanked us for braving the weather and asked us to join in singing the next song which he promised would lift his spirits. We were more than willing to accommodate him and from there the show just got better and better.

Chris is a fantastic front person, high energy and very generous to his audience. He thanked us repeatedly for tolerating the rain and for the warm reception. He went into the crowd several times to the delight of those sitting up front (next time I'm buying the good seats) and his singing couldn't have been any better. If this was Chris in a bad mood, what is he like in a good one? It was hard to imagine a better performance and then it happened. About two-thirds of the way through the set, the lads all left the stage and headed for the stands to my left where a mock stage had been set up. From here Coldplay performed an acoustic set which started with "Green Eyes", a personal favourite of mine, then "Death Will Never Conquer" (with Will on vocals), and "I'm A Believer" (Neil Diamond). The acoustic set really showed what a diverse and talented group they are and brought a nice change of pace to the show.

After a short interlude, Coldplay returned to the stage with "Politik", "Lovers in Japan" and "Death and All His Friends". The show ended with an encore of "The Scientist" and "Life in Technicolor II". Coldplay's entire set included some really fun special effects like a fantastically edited live video of their performance projected on screens at the side of the stage. It felt like we were taking part in a concert film. There was also the standard issue yellow rubber balls that have become a staple during the song "Yellow", and huge confetti guns shooting out paper butterflies during "Lovers in Japan". Of course, the most important part of any concert is the music and the boys of Coldplay were spot on, note for note. The only downside was that it had to end. I was left wanting more. It certainly was worth breaking my "no concerts" rule and if I never see another show again, I'm glad I saved the best for last.

http://www.smittenbybritain.com/2009/05/la-vida-coldplay.html

I enjoyed myself, it being my first time seeing them live and despite being in section 26(!). Aside from 2 girls sitting in front of me singing to every song and screaming as if a Jonas brother was nearby, most of the section remained quiet or sat during most of the show. It almost felt like they've seen Coldplay many times before and what they were seeing was nothing new. No chant after "Viva La Vida", very little crowd participation but they only managed to get the most excited when they did a Monkees cover (go figure). I hope they got their $100 worth. But I didn't go to see the crowd, it just would have helped had the less active portion of the crowd been more into it and the band felt the body language (or lack thereof).

As for the band itself, Coldplay was as good as advertised. Fresh off of a quick thunderstorm that shortened Pete Yorn's set and canceled Holwing Bells', they were energetic and on point. At the very beginning of the show, during "Life In Technicolor", Chris Martin burned himself on the hand (probably due to the pyro) and seemed a bit annoyed by it. As I mentioned before, after performing their biggest hit to date, "Viva La Vida", there was no encore chant and Chris Martin proceeded to fall on the floor, almost playing dead. When they realized the end of song chant wasn't going the way they'd hoped for (I was shocked myself), Chris springs right back up and on to the next record they went.

My 3 key highlights

- Free "LeftRightLeftRightLeft" live cd (even though I had the album on my ipod nearly 2 weeks ago).

- Not letting my section spoil my fun, I sang at the top of my lungs to every song.

- The upbeat, techno version of "God Put A Smile On Your Face" and "Talk". Hopefully it's available for download somewhere.

*- Note that the first 3 photos are mine but the live ones of the band were courtesy of some friends at Coldplaying.com. My seats weren't close enough to get detailed ones.

http://themodernistrevival.blogspot.com/2009/05/111-coldplay-live-52409-hershey-park.html

Everything’s Not Lost

Bittersweet.

Bitter, probably, for Chris Martin and Coldplay; sweet, definitely, for me.

It’s funny how a band or a song can take on a whole new meaning…how one may find a new appreciation, energy, color-fast vision of a music based on the company one keeps.

You see, it has been nearly seven years since I purchased tickets and attended a show at Hershey as a consumer fan.

One ill-timed question, an unplanned pregnancy, a flight to Vegas and a foreseeable divorce anchoring this ship to colorful Harrisburg, Pennsylvania can turn a guy’s stomach on the thought of ever listening to and appreciating the Dave Matthews Band again. Or, in this case, Coldplay.

As a lover of most music, I’m not quick to shrug off a band based solely on their rise to success. Normally, I’ll shrug off a band based on a negative association I may carry with said band.

And in the instance of Coldplay- specifically, the album Parachutes- I carried what I realized was a completely unnecessary hatred of everything they represent.

When you boil it all down, they write some great fucking songs.

I don’t know too many people who can’t name three Coldplay songs right off the top of their head. And they could be, arguably, one of the biggest bands in the world right now.

My friend and I decided- somewhat hastily- to go to this show.

I had my trepidations based on the aforementioned negative association.

She just hadn’t seen Coldplay before.

But we went- and scored tickets for twenty bucks apiece outside the gate. Our seats were stage-right, about four rows up in the grandstand. To our right was a couple- she was thirty and celebrating her birthday; he was around forty and spoiling his girl.

To our left was a pair of (what can’t be described any other way than) two old ladies. In front, a small family. And behind us was a gaggle of couples. Mostly in their mid-twenties. But mostly couples.

It was certainly a couples-kind-of-show.

After weathering the forty-five minute rainstorm, we went into the antiquated Hersheypark Stadium, met up with some friends who razzed me accordingly (”Dude. What the hell is Jersey Mike doing at a COLDPLAY show?!” and, the most common heard razz of the week “Know how I know you’re gay?”) and two-fisted some delicious Shock Top beers.

And from the moment we sat down, I remembered that perception really is everything.

For years…YEARS…I perceived Coldplay in a negative light. I associated what’s really a great band with an unfortunate time in my life. Self-deprecatingly, I denied myself the pleasures of Politik and The Scientist and God Put A Smile Upon Your Face and Everything’s Not Lost.

But I remembered- on a warm and rainy night in May while in fantastic company and after a pleasant weekend- that happiness really does come from within. And, although I may fool myself sometimes by trying to blame others for my negative views, that all of it- every broken promise, heart, crushed spirit- can be healed with pure positive energy.

A fresh perspective.

On life. On love. On music.

And a fresh perspective on Coldplay.

http://jerseymike.org/2009/05/everythings-not-lost/