✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

24-May-2009: Hershey Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt the crowd was really square (that's right, I said square hehe). I definitely enjoyed myself, despite being in section 26(!). Aside from 2 girls sitting in front of me singing to every song and screaming as if a Jonas brother was nearby, literally the rest of the section was quiet or sat during most of the show. It almost felt like they've seen Coldplay many times before and what they were seeing was nothing new. No chant after VLV, very little crowd participation but they only managed to get the most excited when they did the Monkees cover (go figure). Hope they got their $100 worth.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the crowd sounded kind of quiet due to the acoustics of the stadium and the fact that it wasn't full - there just weren't as many people there as there should have been. I have to confess that I sat down for one song, mostly because the people behind me were sitting down and I felt bad that they couldn't see, but then I thought, heck with them - they should be standing up!

I loved how the band came to our section to play Day Dream believer. They were in the displaced Scranton section - I thought that was the perfect way for them to make up for the Scranton concert being canceled. ;) Too bad the butterflies and yellow balls never made it over our way.

ooh, how did you get that? did you just go up to the front and flag down a roadie? i'm wondering for tonight. :D

yeah well our seat was in the front row, but off to the side, so we just scooted over right to the middle and called out to the roadies up on stage. they were totally cool about it both nights this weekend :D big tks to them

what the other people who went to other concerts say about this show,or what they say about the audience i don't wanna care....their opinions...:thinking:

In my case in our section the people are great,shouting and screaming all the time and also very nice......

And the Hershey show...is definitely the most memorable one for me....

I've also been to 5 shows last year...but i cannot forget this one for ever...its really special.....

Another amusing Chrisism before they played Death Will Never Conquer...

"On the weekend of memorial day

Where is the best place for the band to play

You know what I am going to say

Get your butts down to Hershey, PA

Hope you are enjoying the concert so far

Let me hear a “woo woo” if you are

This is time for an extra thrill

May I introduce our scary drummer Will."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTjX-ib6yw]YouTube - Green Eyes and Death Will Never Conquer- Coldplay Hershey PA[/ame]

Coldplay warms up Hershey crowd

The "Mexican Cell Phone Wave," as invented by Coldplay frontman Chris Martin on Sunday night at Hersheypark Stadium, might have been a flop.

But as to the British quartet's quest for big-venue rock domination, these guys may be on to something.

Martin and company made their debut in Chocolate Town an overwhelming success, performing 23 songs in 90 minutes — pausing only for short breaks between two encore sets.

Borrowing a few live-show tricks from their elders, U2, the guys in Coldplay quickly made the thunderstorm that delayed their debut here a passing memory. Martin's early-show gripes about being burned while coming on stage also dissolved among the dazzling light displays and large yellow beach balls that tumbled atop the crowd of 12,000.

Martin, with his too-cute-to-be-cocky mannerisms, sprinted and gyrated through the set like a confused ballet dancer with a top-class falsetto, belting out what he and his bandmates call "very heavy soft rock." Martin's conversations with the crowd and mid-song ad-libs — staples at U2 shows — kept the audience hanging on his every word and move.

The band leaned heavily on its newest material, pulling nine songs from the Grammy-winning 2008 release "Viva la Vida," and two more tracks recorded during those sessions.

"I took my love down to Hershey, Pennsylvania," Martin crooned during stomping show-opener "Violet Hill." Whether he'll be telling hordes in Detroit and Vancouver the same thing next month didn't really matter.

After all, it's Martin's ability to make you think it's your personal serenade, despite the thousands at your side, that makes him so appealing. Surely, Bono would be proud — if this band didn't rival his Irish quartet for arena rock supremacy.

The band played singles from its three prior albums, including "Yellow," the ambiguously titled love song that brought them international prominence after its release in 2000. The oversized beach balls seemed to bounce along with the song's poppy beat, as Martin told his sea of fans how the stars "shine for you, and all the things that you do."

Clearly, the days when an illuminated globe was the extent of the onstage "effects" are long gone for this foursome.

"Fix You," from 2005's bloated attempt at rock mega-stardom, "X&Y," also was a highlight, with its soaring crescendo and sugar-sweet coda as only Martin can deliver, "lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones."

The band seems to have a firm grasp on what its fans want to hear. The group played only three songs from that 2005 release — the band's closest brush with commercial failure — and only the color-themed anthem from Coldplay's stripped-down debut, "Parachutes."

But Martin and company performed nearly the entire track listing from "Viva" and more than half the cuts from 2002's "A Rush of Blood to the Head," also a commercial success.

If the crowd sank a bit during piano ballad "The Hardest Part," it was re-ignited with "Viva la Vida," during which Martin strutted the stage's two sprawling catwalks — a stage design Bono often uses to cozy up to those not paying as much for their seats. No one could resist snapping smudgy cell phone shots as Martin "collapsed" at song's end.

The group played three acoustic tracks on top of a stadium concourse, when Martin patented his "Wave." The crowd didn't have quite as much rhythm as the headliner, though, waving their cell-phone lights in anything but unison.

No matter. When the group sprinted backstage for the first encore break, their guests made it clear they wanted more.

They returned with the thrashing piano stomp, "Politick." Next, paper butterflies were spewed over the crowd as couples cuddled up to "Lovers in Japan," a marching pop track from "Viva."

"Lovers" provided the last real peak, as two piano-laced tracks followed before a mash-up of the show opener served as a recessional for the thousands who streamed out the exits.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/

Another amusing Chrisism before they played Death Will Never Conquer...

"On the weekend of memorial day

Where is the best place for the band to play

You know what I am going to say

Get your butts down to Hershey, PA

Hope you are enjoying the concert so far

Let me hear a “woo woo” if you are

This is time for an extra thrill

May I introduce our scary drummer Will."

Thank you!!

The one from the 20th was funny already but this one with the "woo woo" is even better!!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt the crowd was really square (that's right, I said square hehe). I definitely enjoyed myself, despite being in section 26(!). Aside from 2 girls sitting in front of me singing to every song and screaming as if a Jonas brother was nearby, literally the rest of the section was quiet or sat during most of the show. It almost felt like they've seen Coldplay many times before and what they were seeing was nothing new. No chant after VLV, very little crowd participation but they only managed to get the most excited when they did the Monkees cover (go figure). Hope they got their $100 worth.

Oh my gosh! I was in section 26 and everyone around me was standing, singing, shouting, motioning the entire show! That's a shame you were in a quiet area...

my sis got a pretty good video of chris falling and burning his arm. You can see four flares, and then all of s sudden, you see one go really low to the ground. also, is anyone else kinda depressed its over? :(

Oh Chris :(:P I hope he's better for tonight's show.

And yess I'm actually really depressed that it's over!!

Oh Chris :(:P I hope he's better for tonight's show.

And yess I'm actually really depressed that it's over!!

I am trying to get to all points west, but this could of been my last coldplay show of the "viva" era :(. Like it's crazy to think how far the boys came through this whole year. Im already thinking about next tour