✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Jun-2009: DTE Energy Music Theatre, Detroit, MI, USA

Coldplay's invigorating show thrills DTE crowd

20090602b.jpg

Coldplay is not only one of the biggest bands in the world, sharing rarified air with bands like U2 and Radiohead, but it also may be the most likeable.

The British foursome brought its massive show to DTE Energy Music Theatre Tuesday, playing to an adoring sold-out audience of more than 15,000 fans. The show set the bar quite high for the 2009 summer concert season and was one of the most thrilling concerts DTE has hosted in years.

After just four albums, Coldplay has amassed a catalog stacked with populist anthems, from the still-rousing "Clocks" and "In My Place," to newer smashes "Viva la Vida" and "Lost."

And the band delivered them Tuesday in invigorating fashion, complete with a busy stage show that included laser beams, balloon drops and two mini-stages set up in the audience -- one in the pavilion seats and one at the foot of the lawn.

The band, which boasts an impressive cross-generational appeal, isn't too cool to play its first hit, "Yellow," and isn't afraid to go for cheap pops by inserting local references into songs such as "Violet Hill" or "Cemeteries of London." This is a hard-working band that gives its all -- and, as evidenced by the huge smiles on the band members' faces, loves every minute of it.

They were even apologetic about being scheduled opposite the Stanley Cup Finals. "I don't know much about the NHL," lead singer Chris Martin told the crowd halfway through the show. "I do understand how much you had to sacrifice to come to our concert. I just want you to know how much we appreciate that. If this was Britain, nobody would have come."

http://www.detnews.com

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow those are great pics! I especially love this one...

DSC00168.jpg

I know, random...but I think it's so funny how Chris is up front being all serious, performing, while Jonny&Guy seem like they're just fooling around and cracking up:P:laugh3:

This is my absolute favourite. His smile gives me such a good feeling! His smile makes me smile too. Love him! :D

Edit: Oh God!! Why didn't it come out!??

I love those pics!!!

Going to save them all now! :D

(You copied the link to the livejournal main page and inserted it between the image tags, that's why you don't see the pic.)

I'm interested in your favourite now!

This is probably mine, although hard to say as they are all great:

DSC00204.jpg

Edit: haha, yours is the same!!! :laugh3:

DSC00168.jpg

I know, random...but I think it's so funny how Chris is up front being all serious, performing, while Jonny&Guy seem like they're just fooling around and cracking up:P:laugh3:

Its a lovely pic:D

DSC00168.jpg

:blush: The 2 of them sure look like they are having lots of fun :D

Not nuff said ! :smug:

This pic is my fav too ! :wacky:

:lol: Agreed. There's never 'nuff said when it comes to Chris, I could go on and on about how incredible, gorgeous, beautiful, magnificent, delicious, etc, he is, and I'll bet so can you, but they didn't make enough hours in a day! :D

The picture though seems to sum it all up nicely!

I talk to you as I want :smug:

*rebellion off*

Aww okay I let you do that Melanie, but be gentle please !:uhoh:

Hmmm....gentle?? I'll have to think about that:inquisitive:

Hold him down ? :sneaky: I'm in !

Sorry, off topic.. but the thread is pretty quiet so we got an excuse :P

edit : ^ Oh well.. kids :dozey:

:lol:

Actually I was thinking of Jonny holding him down but you never know...maybe Jonny will need some help:wink3:

Annnnd still off topic:D

:escaping: