✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Blur Thread

sarah**

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm exploring Blur at the moment. I kicked off with "Think Tank" which I think is quite good (can't exactly say it's brilliant as it takes me some getting used to them as a new band). Sweet Song is such a nice piece, agreed. I like the variety of songs chucked in there.

I don't know how much you know about Blur, but Think Tank's an odd one to start with, because Graham their guitarist left just before the recording of it.

If you want quintessential Blur, have a listen to Parklife. Can't go wrong.

I agree that Think Tank is not an ideal starting point. It's their last album, and definitely not representative of them because it's their only album without Graham on guitar. It's a great album but I wouldn't bother getting into it until you've listened to some more of their work.

I'm going to say that the five Blur songs you should hear the most are:

Beetlebum

Girls and Boys

This Is A Low

Sing

Tender

If the next person writes five more songs below, and so on, I'll do the first 25 into a Spotify playlist, of a beginner's guide to Blur. For anyone or everyone that wants it!

Great, guys, I'll definitely pay attention to those songs. And it'd be cool to have a beginner's guide of sorts, mrkjhnwht, but I'd feel guilty for taking up too much of your time. Just keep posting and be sure I'll read every one of your posts and collect advice that way, that'll be enough.

Great, guys, I'll definitely pay attention to those songs. And it'd be cool to have a beginner's guide of sorts, mrkjhnwht, but I'd feel guilty for taking up too much of your time. Just keep posting and be sure I'll read every one of your posts and collect advice that way, that'll be enough.

You know, there is an actual album called "Midlife: A Beginner's Guide to Blur" which is actually a good collection of some of their best songs. But I think it's more fun the way we're doing it :P

Nice. I might check that out, but I must admit there's nothing better than learning from the abundant experience of your fellow coldplayers. I really enjoy taking in other people's views, comparing them to my own, checking myself where I thought my knowledge was complete and seeing things from another angle. I'm really thankful for that.

It doesn't have to be in any order, just the 25 must-hear songs.

Midlife is great, but of course it needed to show songs from all eras, include different ones to the best of... the way we're doing it, it's just the fans' favourites.

And it's no trouble. :)

OK if I add a few more? Not necessarily obvious choices, but hopefully these will still help:

Popscene

Under the Westway

Tracy Jacks

Look Inside America

Good Song

edit: Oh, and I just have to mention He Thought of Cars. That has to be one of the greatest songs Blur have ever written.

So...as you know, the first album I tried out was Think Tank. Despite the absence of their former guitarist I don't think the album lost much in terms of quality compared to some other albums. I love "Sweet Song", "Jets" and "Gene by Gene" and the rest of the album is sure to be played in future. Surprisingly, Parklife didn't quite work for me the way I expected from your suggestions. I couldn't even sit through it. I'll give it a go once more when I'm done with the rest of discography. There's no room for scepticism though, because there have been quite a number of albums that I didn't like at all at the first listen but which I have learned to acknowledge afterwards. Finally, I've been listening to The Great Escape since like a few days ago and I think it's wonderful. I'm surprised there aren't more suggestions for tracks on this one. I also listened to some stuff from the other albums but wasn't compelled to finish it off. Their time will come, too, I am sure. I am not a great fan yet, but I'm halfway there.

The Great Escape is a good album, but I think it gets frowned upon by some fans because it wasn't ambitious enough after the success of Parklife. I'm sure someone else could explain it better than me, but I guess you could say that TGE is Blur's X&Y, while Parklife is their AROBTTH (to use a Coldplay analogy). There are plenty of fan favourites from TGE though, including He Thought of Cars, The Universal, Stereotypes and Globe Alone (those are some of my favourites anyway)

Give Parklife another listen when you're ready. It drags a little bit in the middle (The Debt Collector - Far Out - To the End) but the start and finish are Blur at their best. I also agree with those songs you mentioned from Think Tank - especially Sweet Song and Jets.

I only started appreciating The Debt Collector a while ago but I've always loved Far Out and To the End. I guess everyone's different.

As for not liking Parklife that much... do you think the place you live and the year you were born in could be big factors in whether you'll like the album or not? Parklife's definitely about a certain period (ie the 1990s) and it might be just a bit too specific in its references to the UK.

I only started appreciating The Debt Collector a while ago but I've always loved Far Out and To the End. I guess everyone's different.

I do like Far Out, but between The Debt Collector and To the End I feel it makes a bit of a slow point in the middle of the album - not that there's really anything wrong with that though.

The Great Escape is a good album, but I think it gets frowned upon by some fans because it wasn't ambitious enough after the success of Parklife.

I would use the exact Coldplay analogy you did, and actually, Oasis had the same problem.

Blur, Oasis and Coldplay all released a trilogy and each respective album has its similarities...

Modern Life Is Rubbish/Definitely Maybe/Parachutes: Establishes sound

Parklife/What's The Story (Morning Glory?)/A Rush of Blood: Builds on sound

The Great Escape/Be Here Now/X&Y: Pushes the boundaries of the sound

I read an interesting review this week actually on the XX's new, and second, record Coexist. The reviewer claimed that the band had built a world on the first album and earned the right to live in it on album two. However doing a third album of the same thing would be pushing it.

Sums it up, really. The second album of a certain style is the one in which a band is probably most comfortable.

I have the exact same feeling about The xx. Not that I don't like Coexist, but I'll definitely have mixed emotions about the third album if some significant changes should not take place. I mean, I love their sound immensely but as with any other band, it is bound to wear out eventually. It's a difficult situation to be in, for the band as well for the fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone here on the Blur forums? When you sign up, you need approval from the admin before you can start posting. Well, I've been waiting for a little more than a month and I've got nothing... I understand many people have more of a life than I do, but still...

Should I keep waiting or find the e-mail of the admin and mods and start bugging them about it :uhoh2: