✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Blur Thread

sarah**

YOU ARE ONE OF US.

Please tell me you'll go to Sziget (or Exit if they play there) with me for a day. PLEASSSSEEEE.

I can't promise :p I'd really like to go though! But I'm only 16 and my parents might be a problem :P

Oh btw, just found out this...

http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/news/breaking_news_blur_comes_to_sziget.14453.html#.UNDT0-T1e8A

...Blur at Sziget confirmed :dance:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

They did an interview with Q, it's in the January 2013 issue.

I've seen that cover, I love it, Damon and the band look so young and happy.

634892830648958391.Jpeg

tumblr_mel3mkGAPg1qb3xkxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mcayk79rz11qb3xkxo4_1280.jpg

I assume it's already on sale, right? :surprised:

---

Wow, so many dates! Was especially surprised by the festival in Mexico, who would've believed it.

I'm reading in the Blur forums about how people are saying it's overkill that they're doing a 'third big tour without a new album', but personally I think it's a very wise move to visit all the people who haven't even had Blur step foot in their country in at least a decade. A fourth tour without new material? Hmm, that's something different. But right now, it's really exciting to see every festival being announced one by one. :wacky:

I thought you were 18. :surprised:

Yeah Sziget was confirmed about two weeks ago. I might go there for a day if they don't play Exit. Or even if they do. I can't decide. D:

Nope, but a lot of people thought that I'm older because of the music I listen to :blank:

I'd love to seem them live. I'm also hoping for InMusic maybe.

I assume it's already on sale, right? :surprised:
It is! I've seen it in shops over here so if it got to Slovenia then it surely found its way to the US, too.

I'm reading in the Blur forums about how people are saying it's overkill that they're doing a 'third big tour without a new album', but personally I think it's a very wise move to visit all the people who haven't even had Blur step foot in their country in at least a decade. A fourth tour without new material? Hmm, that's something different. But right now, it's really exciting to see every festival being announced one by one. :wacky:
THANK YOU. What they're all forgetting is that the band had almost no practice at all for 10 years and now they (the fans in question) expect a new album already. :bomb: I've told them that I see what they're pointing at but DUDE, they take literally everything Blur-related way too negatively. If someone isn't fussed about DVDs, concerts etc., then simply don't buy the DVD or bitch when it doesn't get to your doorstep the next second and don't go to shows.

*lets off steam*

I think these news are very exciting, not only because I will get to see them (even if I have to work 24/7 for that) but also because it could mean a new record...

Nope, but a lot of people thought that I'm older because of the music I listen to :blank:

I'd love to seem them live. I'm also hoping for InMusic maybe.

That's it! :lol: Don't worry, though. What they/we're saying isn't a bad thing.

When does InMusic take place? Isn't that late June? I'd love them to play there as that'd mean I wouldn't have to go very far. Although I think Exit is a big possibility considering the festival takes place immediately after Les Eurocks and not long before the Russian festival.

This! And anyway, I'd hardly call them 'big tours' nowadays anyway. It doesn't matter that they don't have a new album out, we should be glad they're touring at all. That said, I don't expect them to keep touring forever with no new material. Whether that's a new album or just singles like Under the Westway I don't care.

edit: And I also agree that it's a good thing they're giving the UK a rest and focusing on their international fans for a while. After all, since 2003 they've only played in 5 different countries, including the UK.

THANK YOU. What they're all forgetting is that the band had almost no practice at all for 10 years and now they (the fans in question) expect a new album already. :bomb: I've told them that I see what they're pointing at but DUDE, they take literally everything Blur-related way too negatively. If someone isn't fussed about DVDs, concerts etc., then simply don't buy the DVD or bitch when it doesn't get to your doorstep the next second and don't go to shows.

Another tour's as fine as long as it's not in the UK. Can they really ride the same wave of nostalgia in the same city four years after they made up?

That's it! :lol: Don't worry, though. What they/we're saying isn't a bad thing.

When does InMusic take place? Isn't that late June? I'd love them to play there as that'd mean I wouldn't have to go very far. Although I think Exit is a big possibility considering the festival takes place immediately after Les Eurocks and not long before the Russian festival.

Yeah InMusic is in late June so it's probably unlikely to happen. But Terraneo has usually the same lineup as Sziget as they both take place at the same, so I'm hoping for it too.

No, they can't unless they release a new EP and do a few low-key gigs.

Except that some people will moan even if the band do that.

The longer they take to write an album, the bigger the hurdle becomes.

My mate said they should take over a really small venue like Shepard's Bush Empire in 2014 and play 13 in its entirety, for the 15-year anniversary. I love that idea.

Otherwise, I'd quite happily see Blur go back on hiatus for a few years. I think they've missed the boat for a new album, personally. They had the chance before, but now it's been hyped up so much, they don't need this sort of pressure. I want Damon solo stuff, Graham solo stuff, either of them to work with Noel, a Gorillaz film, and then the announcement of a Blur record ten days before it's out, a la In Rainbows. Just a personal preference, though :P

The hurdle will always be big and Blur will always be hyped up but I think they still have that special magic about them. I mean, we've both seen them earlier this year - do you think they aren't capable of making an album any more? I know opinions on The Puritan and UTW divide but I think they're good songs for a band that was on hiatus since about 2001. I still believe in Damon's song-writing skills. To be honest, I don't care about Gorillaz that much. Don't get me wrong - I'll always think of DD as one of the best albums ever and I'm amazed at how many musicians from different backgrounds Damon's managed to include in his project but personally, Blur are much better than Gorillaz by a long shot.

ANYWAY. If making solo music works for Radiohead, why wouldn't it work for Blur, too? They're basically peers (although for some reason I tend to think of Radiohead as an older band :wtf: )...

The hurdle will always be big and Blur will always be hyped up but I think they still have that special magic about them. I mean, we've both seen them earlier this year - do you think they aren't capable of making an album any more? I know opinions on The Puritan and UTW divide but I think they're good songs for a band that was on hiatus since about 2001. I still believe in Damon's song-writing skills. To be honest, I don't care about Gorillaz that much. Don't get me wrong - I'll always think of DD as one of the best albums ever and I'm amazed at how many musicians from different backgrounds Damon's managed to include in his project but personally, Blur are much better than Gorillaz by a long shot.

ANYWAY. If making solo music works for Radiohead, why wouldn't it work for Blur, too? They're basically peers (although for some reason I tend to think of Radiohead as an older band :wtf: )...

They are capable but it doesn't matter how good it is, it's going to be a disappointment for so many people; since they announced they were back, we've been waiting for it. That's why the two singles had mixed reactions. That's why I think they should take a break and then release it out of the blue. People have been expecting it for nearly four years. Break that expectation, then the announcement of an album can only be positive thing, because the fans will have thought it wasn't coming. Do you see what I mean?

Gorillaz have unfinished business, Damon said he'd do a solo album. So I'm quite happy to still get material from Damon and Graham while we wait for the time to be right for a Blur record. Aren't many bands that you can get that from. :D

Radiohead are a bit different, in that they haven't really been a "rock" band for a long time. Rock is, in my opinion, a young genre, and it disappointed me slightly when Alex said that Blur could stay relevant "like the Foo Fighters, who still appeal to kids". As brilliant as Dave Grohl is, Foo Fighters are not a good example of an ambitious, exciting rock band for me; something that I've always associated Blur with being. I don't want a Blur album for the sake of nostalgia and feeling young again, I want them back because they have something to give. Which I feel they do.

It's just my opinion. I don't think many bands could carry on past 35/40, unless they're still making exceptional music. Not many do. It's my opinion that an artist should value ambition over anything else; Blur are different to everyone else, they've always been much more than a rock band, but you get what I mean.

It's just my opinion. I don't think many bands could carry on past 35/40, unless they're still making exceptional music. Not many do. It's my opinion that an artist should value ambition over anything else; Blur are different to everyone else, they've always been much more than a rock band, but you get what I mean.
So that's what you meant by saying rock is a young genre. :lol: You should've phrased it differently, I think, but it doesn't matter that much. I see no problem with older people playing rock or metal music as long as they make good music. I think a lot of bands you get to see live nowadays have lots of ambition, it's just that the situation in the music industry isn't favourable.

I wonder what'll happen to EMI's contract with Blur... I hope they get a good deal out of it, somehow.

I don't want a Blur album for the sake of nostalgia and feeling young again, I want them back because they have something to give. Which I feel they do.
Definitely. I'm sure they still have something to say, especially Damon. He's the sort of person who always finds something to comment on.

So that's what you meant by saying rock is a young genre. :lol: You should've phrased it differently, I think, but it doesn't matter that much. I see no problem with older people playing rock or metal music as long as they make good music. I think a lot of bands you get to see live nowadays have lots of ambition, it's just that the situation in the music industry isn't favourable.

I wonder what'll happen to EMI's contract with Blur... I hope they get a good deal out of it, somehow.

Definitely. I'm sure they still have something to say, especially Damon. He's the sort of person who always finds something to comment on.

Yeah, I agree with you. It takes something special to still remain as good as you were before. Which they have, they just need to coax it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to a lot of their earlier B-sides and I'm surprised at how good some of them are. Many of them are better than some of the stuff on Leisure for sure. Although I still think MLIR has the best b-sides.

On the same topic, what are people's favourite Blur b-sides? (I have a strange feeling I might have asked this before, sorry if I have :laugh3:)

Young and Lovely

Bone Bag

No Monsters in Me

Magpie

People in Europe

All Your Life

Black Book

are some that I really like.

• 2 weeks later...