✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LRLRL D/LOAD LINK! Plus REACTIONS/RESPONSE to LRLRL Live Album

tauiwi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, it is a soundboard recording. R#42 says he records every show on his laptop. I remember it from the post after the Dubai show.

The crowd was just that loud that the 4 vocal mics picked the noise up.

Coldplay fans are GREAT!!!!:)

The ending of Death and All His Friends is fucking amazing. :stunned: It's the same for 42.

Additionally I really loved Clocks and Death Will Never Conquer, Glass of Water was pretty good, and honestly the rest of the album was sort of meh for me compared to the aforementioned tracks.

But imo this was a very epic album. Especailly for free. :dance:

I didn't download it until the evening, mainly because I wasn't all that excited about it, I am not really a big fan of live recordings. '42' sounds really flat and 'death will never conquer'? Still sh*t.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not a huge fan of live releases because so few bands are really that good live to begin with these days. I love the experience of going to the show; listening to a playback of a show I wasn't at...not so much. I think 42 is my favorite track and the booming bass when the percussion starts in the intro just gives me chills. Death Will Never Conquer is a gem based on Will Champion singing vocals. Kind of hard to knock that endeavor. With all due respect, that's a really harsh critique. Ha-evah....everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

:thinking:I don't want to be too much of an ass here, but I do feel the need to comment on this (or rather the actions of some fans in response to th situation):

While It does seem there have been some problems regarding the free cd distribution, I frankly cannot believe the rude and indignant response from some people regarding this. The band comes up a fun idea to try to reward fans for coming out, and because of logistical errors, people seem to think it's okay to s&*t all over the band. It's a free giveaway people, really! Jeez, you can even download the d$#n thing for free! If I were a member of the band, I'd fell like an a$#hole for even trying, and be less inclined to do something extra for the fans like this in the future...

Just my two cents...;)

-climbs off soapbox-

I agree with you in all totality. Anger towards the band is ill-placed in this situation. They have no control over what the security/ticket takers/distributors will or will not do at the show. Yeah, it sucks that people attended a show and missed out on a really nice gift like this, but to draw a direct line to Chris Martin because he verbally promised it from the stage seems unfair, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Review of Coldplay's live album

coldplayx28x05x09xrev.jpg

With albums costing an average of £7.99 + it would be rude to turn down Coldplay's latest offering, which is free and readily available to download on their website. It says on Coldplays website, LeftRightLeftRightLeft is a thank you from the band to the fans, and what a nice thank you it is! The album is assembled from tracks played at various gigs on their Viva La Vida tour.

Viva La Vida was a fantastic step forward after their last album X&Y which was seen as the groups mid-career slump - be it a very successful one. LeftRight... is a mixture of some the 'big hits' and newer material which stands its ground very well. Undeniably Chris Martin is a great frontman, and the reception heard on this album from his fans highlights that perfectly.

LeftRightLeftRightLeft showcases Coldplays return to form wonderfully and the welcome addition of the price tag makes this album one that shouldn't be missed.

Rating 8/10

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/albumreview/coldplay-leftrightleftrightleftx28x05x09

As it's a review of both Bjork's Voltaic and LRLRL, I shall leave out the first part of the article.

Live wires

It's live and larger than life when Bjork and Coldplay get out of the studio and onto the stage

As for LeftRightLeftRightLeft, it's Coldplay's thank-you note to fans and contains nine tracks recorded on the English blokes' last tour.

Already downloaded 3.5 million times so far on their website (http://www.coldplay.com) since last Friday, the set shows an act in top form.

It's a band in love with music and their adoring fans who can be heard clapping, howling and singing to every chorus.

Frontman Chris Martin can never be faulted for his showmanship. His earnest vocals embrace every word with usual generosity, keening on the West African-tinged Strawberry Swing and swooping on the classic Clocks.

The highlight is the perfectly crafted anthem Viva La Vida. You'll smile as the familiar pizzicato strings introduce pop's most ironic lyrics when Martin sings, 'I used to rule the world', considering the luminescent stage of the band's career.

You'll be swept away by the sea of goodwill as the audience continues to echo in unison 'oooh-ahhh...' for nearly a minute after the music ends. What a trip.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Yeow Kai Chai

The Straits Times

Friday, May 22 2009

Pitchfork Album Review

Coldplay

LeftRightLeftRightLeft

[self-Released; 2009]

6.8/10

When most of the world first met Chris Martin, he was a sad dude wandering around a beach in his windbreaker and singing about everything being yellow. If Coldplay started out as one of many earnest post-Britpop bands in the late 1990s, they've beaten the odds to become one of the biggest bands in the world, the kind whose album releases become events and whose impact reaches beyond the confines of a genre, country, or audience. Coldplay are, in short, the kind of band that can give away a live album gratis. LeftRightLeftRightLeft is free to anyone with a ticket at their live shows and anyone with an internet connection at their web site. While I'm sure there's a suit somewhere tearing his hair out over this, it's not quite as ballsy as Prince giving away free copies of Musicology or bundling Planet Earth with the London Daily Mail. On the other hand, you might want to listen to LRLRL more than once.

Seriously, they could be selling this shit. After all, Live 2003 got a full release complete with a DVD, and it doesn't even approach the confidence and dynamics of LRLRL, which showcases a band much more comfortable and commanding on stage. All the big moments they've tried to create in the studio finally come alive on these tracks: those tectonic shifts that push opener "Glass of Water"; the mechanistic jam of "Clocks", especially when Guy Berryman re-creates the vocal melody on bass against Martin's cascades of piano notes; the communal grandiosity of "Viva la Vida". Despite a fairly conservative tracklist, LRLRL sounds like the band finally coming into its own, presenting as a live act rather than a studio band.

Much of the credit goes to the audience-- those thousands of fans singing devotedly along with Martin and exploding during the big moments. Maybe that's why LRLRL is a giveaway: The crowd may be legally obligated to co-billing, especially that woman singing herself hoarse for a few notes on "The Hardest Part/Postcards from Far Away". Here's a quick before-and-after demonstration: The opening lyrics to "42" are some of his worst, and Martin alone can't save them. But hearing him sing those same inane lyrics with a couple thousand people backing him up make that mood-setting melody sound pretty good actually. LRLRL owes its life to the audience, whose handclaps give "Viva la Vida" the sense of heraldry missing from the album version and whose insistent singing on "Fix You" defuses the song's Messianic rumblings.

Of course, the crowd can't rehab all of Coldplay's material. "The Hardest Part/Postcards from Far Away" is a middling piano ballad that feints toward "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" territory but runs straight for Billy Joel. And ending with "Death and All His Friends", especially after "Fix You", seems particularly anticlimactic. Martin no longer has to cajole the crowd into participating, as he did on Live 2003; instead, the band seems utterly confident the audience will hang on every word and note. Even so, he does deliver some overeager stage banter. "This is the moment in the concert when we show you how good our band really could have been," he says by way of introducing drummer Will Champion, who sings the short, strummy "Death Will Never Conquer". Champion does a fine job, sounding late-Poguish and completely at ease, but Martin's comment seems little more than hollow self-deprecation, only pointing to his reputation as the band's handsome, actress-bagging, Jeff Buckley-copping frontman. And just try not to wince when he alters the lyrics to "Fix You" and renders the song self-referential: "five hundred meters from the band at the Coldplay show." You can't touch the hem of his garment from that distance, but those are still pretty good seats.

Coldplay are the biggest band in the world because they believe themselves to be, which is the kind of titanic self-actualization typically associated with salesmen and self-help books. But they are humble in their hubris: Not only do they provide a service-- essentially giving listeners what they want-- but in this case, they're doing it without charge. Ironically, those contradictory qualities mean the band may be wasted in a studio, Eno notwithstanding. LRLRL suggests that Coldplay songs truly live only in vast concert halls and smallish arenas, where they are performed for, and arguably by, a captivated audience.

— Stephen M. Deusner, June 1, 2009

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13074-leftrightleftrightleft/

Pretty good for Pitchfork. No, I'm serious.

Obviously disagree with a few bits, but I truly expected worse.

The crowd may be legally obligated to co-billing, especially that woman singing herself hoarse for a few notes on "The Hardest Part/Postcards from Far Away".

Haha, that bit does indeed disturb an otherwise perfect live rendition. :lol: