✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Noel Gallagher

Guest howyousawtheworld

Sometimes I feel like the only Oasis fan who adores most of what Noel has done with High Flying Birds. Honestly I just think he's getting better. Black Star Dancing is an awesome EP. And yes, Sail On is one of his best HFB tracks.

Noel debuted a new song called Wandering Star the other night at a show in Auckland in support of U2. Pretty good stuff if you ask me:

• Like 2

Sometimes I feel like the only Oasis fan who adores most of what Noel has done with High Flying Birds. Honestly I just think he's getting better. Black Star Dancing is an awesome EP. And yes, Sail On is one of his best HFB tracks.

Noel debuted a new song called Wandering Star the other night at a show in Auckland in support of U2. Pretty good stuff if you ask me:

Ah - this must be on the rumoured 3rd EP!

I love what NGHFB has done mostly. I find Holy Mountain a bit insufferable to listen to. But Ft Knox is very vaguely like Airbag by Radiohead in a cool way. The title track on TMWBTM is so kickass! Everything is more experimental and I'm certainly not in the business of being like those Oldplay-only fans.

However, I do wish there were more guitar solos across NGHFB discography, since that's what makes me love Riverman and The Dying of the Light so much. Both Tim Smith and Gem are great guitarists.

• Like 2

I haven't listened to the most recent EP yet, but here are some opinions on Black Star Dancing:

1. The title track is pretty good, but feels like a rehash of other NGHFB disco-influenced songs such as What a Life, Ballad of the Mighty I, and in particular, it sounds like a huge ripoff of It's a Beautiful World. I do like that this has a serious guitar solo reminiscent of Riverman, one that shreds well and is up there with Ballad.

2. Rattling Rose is good. It reminds me of Lowrider or various bossa nova songs. Not a sound that NG is associated with usually. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to decide how much I like it / how forgettable it is.

3. Sail On is by a light year the best song on Black Star Dancing. I wish it had a guitar or piano solo or something, which makes me rate Dead in the Water higher (man, is there a more raw and amazing track?!). The music videos and thematic imagery (sail on, water) are even similar between the two. Imagine an album that was just If I Had a Gun, Dead in the Water, Sail On, and The Dying of the Light. Well I guess that would be boring and homogenous, but do it for the fans damnit!

Sail On reminds me a lot of Noel's other folksy endeavour from a few years ago:

NGHFB's ballads are the best. :)

What...... Is this an unreleased NGHFB song?

• Like 1

Ah - this must be on the rumoured 3rd EP!

I love what NGHFB has done mostly. I find Holy Mountain a bit insufferable to listen to. But Ft Knox is very vaguely like Airbag by Radiohead in a cool way. The title track on TMWBTM is so kickass! Everything is more experimental and I'm certainly not in the business of being like those Oldplay-only fans.

However, I do wish there were more guitar solos across NGHFB discography, since that's what makes me love Riverman and The Dying of the Light so much. Both Tim Smith and Gem are great guitarists.

Yes!!! But I find it a shame that Tim Smith left the band :( Gem is great though!

• Like 1

It's so nice to see there are more NGHFB fans around here! I thought I'm the only one :laughing:

Of course Noel hasn't got a fandom as big as Coldplay do but yet I really, really think Noel is one of the most underrated musicians (since he has gone solo).

I don't get it. He deserves much more recognition and streams to his songs.

He is a very nice (and funny) person. Probably the nicest rock 'n roll star ever existed if you ask me! Also, he's ''as lovely as can be'' which are Jonny's words about when they were recording with Noel before AHFOD during an interview in 2015.

Of course Coldplay will always be my favourite artist, but Noel has written and produced songs of which I think are even better than some of Coldplay's.

To point out a little as possible songs:

He's written many more amazing songs but I won't share them all on here. It's still a Coldplay forum :laughing:

And finally, my favourite NGHFB song: (it deserves so much more recognition!!!!!!!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

^My link may have been removed, but I'd Pick You Every Time is a B-side from the NGHFB (first album) era. Isn't it great?!

IMHO Gem > Tim Smith. But I do appreciate that Tim Smith would sing backup vocals on a number of songs, which was really important to the no-ow part of If I Had a Gun:

But otherwise Gem seems to be the better player...better feel, better tone, etc.

Also holy wow, Chris Sharrock is so much better than Jeremy Stacey. He is just a perfect drummer.

Speaking of IIHAG, can y'all believe this was all we had back then, a crappy recording from the 2000s...I couldn't be happier that they turned it into a real song that sounds so great.

• Like 2

^My link may have been removed, but I'd Pick You Every Time is a B-side from the NGHFB (first album) era. Isn't it great?!

IMHO Gem > Tim Smith. But I do appreciate that Tim Smith would sing backup vocals on a number of songs, which was really important to the no-ow part of If I Had a Gun:

But otherwise Gem seems to be the better player...better feel, better tone, etc.

Also holy wow, Chris Sharrock is so much better than Jeremy Stacey. He is just a perfect drummer.

Speaking of IIHAG, can y'all believe this was all we had back then, a crappy recording from the 2000s...I couldn't be happier that they turned it into a real song that sounds so great.

Yes, that's something I really miss as well. I liked Tim.

That's probably why he chose to add people to the High Flying Birds, such as the French lady (with the scissors XD) and some backup singers!

• Like 2

Wow, I didn't know it was written in the 2000s already! It's a masterpiece now.

By the way Noel's new song Wandering Star's out!

I haven't heard it yet......

EDIT:

It's a really nice song! It has a bit of an Oasis sound I think. Also, it gives me feelings of X-mas.

• Like 2

By the way Noel's new song Wandering Star's out!

I haven't heard it yet......EDIT:

It's a really nice song! It has a bit of an Oasis sound I think. Also, it gives me feelings of X-mas.

Hnnggggg, thats the one bay beeeeeee, mastapiece! Wish the backup vocals on the chorus stood out a bit more a la the live version

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:17 PM, 42Escapist said:

Noel is getting better and better!

Listen to his performance of Dead In The Water from few days ago, I don't think Chris can sing those high notes as good as Noel can. He is such a good singer! And the piano solo around 3:20 is so epic :earmuffs:

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I didnt think i liked We're On Our Way after the first few listens, but its really grown on me and perhaps it hits different with the stuff going on personally right now, but yeah, gets my approval anyways. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gideon_Mx said:

Now premiering: the official music video for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' single!

Wonderful video! The guest appearances are particularly cool, never thought I'd see Matt Smith in a music video but here we go ?

The song itself is amazing. I also can't wait to hear Flying On The Ground, which will also be on the Back The Way We Came compilation album.

9 hours ago, Gideon_Mx said:

Noel is getting better and better!

Listen to his performance of Dead In The Water from few days ago, I don't think Chris can sing those high notes as good as Noel can. He is such a good singer! And the piano solo around 3:20 is so epic :earmuffs:

Dead In The Water is one of Noel's best solo tracks. No question. The emotion in his voice is powerful. And he sounds just as good in this version.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

High Flying Birds's latest single We're On Our Way Now is seriously one of Noel's best songs in a long time... Have to be honest that I wasn't really impressed by it the first times I heard it. The choruses are so good. That's what makes this song is one of his best.

Another great thing about We're On Our Way Now is that it's got more guitar! Around 2:35 there are some great guitar riffs or solo after the 2nd chorus which sounds beautiful! You can hear it much better in those live performances.

Not to mention the backing vocals! The backing vocals live are in my opinion even better than the ones on the record! Okay, enough talk!!! Just listen and enjoy this magical performance! 

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Love 1

By the way, I just saw that Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds promoted We're On Our Way Now live at Jimmy Fallon's show!!! It's a great performance but I think Noel can sing better than this, feels like he was a bit nervous! He definitely did not sing bad but you'll get what I mean if you compare it to the Absolute Radio performance from earlier this month, the choruses in particular. Though I love the performance 

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just sharing some great songs/performances by Noel, because he is simply one of the best songwriters ever.

Ballad Of The Mighty I, has a great Noel guitar solo

You Know We Can't Go Back, one of Noels best songs with catchy choruses

Holy Mountain, it's by far Noel's most uplifting (pop) song to date!

THANKYOU for writing brilliant songs Noel! :earmuffs:

• Love 1

Back The Way We Came Vol. 1 is Noel's 12th UK #1 album. 12th. And this is a compilation album with only two new songs. Absolutely incredible.

This acoustic version of If I Had a Gun is so beautiful. Noel's acoustic stuff has been amazing ever since the early days of Oasis, but this is just about perfect.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, 42Escapist said:

Back The Way We Came Vol. 1 is Noel's 12th UK #1 album. 12th. And this is a compilation album with only two new songs. Absolutely incredible.

This acoustic version of If I Had a Gun is so beautiful. Noel's acoustic stuff has been amazing ever since the early days of Oasis, but this is just about perfect.

Absolutely, This song is soooo good and this version is so beautiful!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, 42Escapist said:

By the way, you're TheEscapist on the L4E forums, aren't you? That's why I commented on your Coldplay related post in the NGHFB section. My username there is NGHFBirds42 (the new one) :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Gideon_Mx

On 7/5/2021 at 7:39 AM, Gideon_Mx said:

By the way, you're TheEscapist on the L4E forums, aren't you? That's why I commented on your Coldplay related post in the NGHFB section. My username there is NGHFBirds42 (the new one) :classic_biggrin:

Actually, I don't have an account on that site. You're thinking of somebody else, who nonetheless has a very good taste in music ?

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:42 AM, 42Escapist said:

Actually, I don't have an account on that site. You're thinking of somebody else, who nonetheless has a very good taste in music ?

Oh my..... I really thought it was you on there, sorry!

Anyway you're absolutely right! 

• Like 1