✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

6-Mar-2010: Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safety tips in Mexico?

Hey you guys that are from Mexico City, do you have any safety tips for American tourists? I was talking to my dad yesterday who is from Mexico and he says I was stupid to buy these tickets in the first place because there's a very high chance of being kidnapped, mugged, raped, and so forth. He says that American tourists stick out like crazy and that they're often kidnapped. Is this true? If so, do you guys have any tips so that I don't die in Mexico?

I'm looking to stay at a Holiday Inn that is in the Plaza Universitaria, is that a good area? Or am I effed in the A as soon as I say "Hola, me puedes llevar al Foro Sol?" in my American accent to a taxi driver? My dad says that taxi drivers are the main ones that kidnapp Americans. If they don't do that, then they'll drive around the city forever taking advantage of you not knowing how to get there to make your taxi really expensive.

Hey you guys that are from Mexico City, do you have any safety tips for American tourists? I was talking to my dad yesterday who is from Mexico and he says I was stupid to buy these tickets in the first place because there's a very high chance of being kidnapped, mugged, raped, and so forth. He says that American tourists stick out like crazy and that they're often kidnapped. Is this true? If so, do you guys have any tips so that I don't die in Mexico?

I'm looking to stay at a Holiday Inn that is in the Plaza Universitaria, is that a good area? Or am I effed in the A as soon as I say "Hola, me puedes llevar al Foro Sol?" in my American accent to a taxi driver? My dad says that taxi drivers are the main ones that kidnapp Americans. If they don't do that, then they'll drive around the city forever taking advantage of you not knowing how to get there to make your taxi really expensive.

Don't worry, it is not a safe place, but if you take care everything will be fine :) Are you alone? Just stay in touristics areas and pick established taxis from hotels. And dude, that Holiday Inn is far from the Foro Sol! That one is in the South while Foro Sol is in the east!

What? Where is Foro Sol? I thought that Foro Sol was like 4 kilometers south of the Airport Benito Juarez... And this hotel is like 8 kilometers south of that? No? Damn, I don't know. I want to stay in this hotel though, because it has a "commendable" award from IHG. I work for IHG here in Houston(Holiday Inn Express) and I liked this hotel because it supposedly has like currency trade inside, a restaurant, a shuttle service within a five mile radius and all this great stuff... Hmm... I'll think about it.

My second question was gonna be, do you have any recommendations as to what we can do in Mexico? I'll be flying there Thursday the 4th to pick up my tickets, and then my girlfriend wants to "see" Mexico. So, what would be some fun, safe, tourist type things to do?

Thank you so much for helping us. YOU FUCKING ROCK! :kiss:

:blush:

I'm just glad I was able to help you girls :nice:

What? Where is Foro Sol? I thought that Foro Sol was like 4 kilometers south of the Airport Benito Juarez... And this hotel is like 8 kilometers south of that? No? Damn, I don't know. I want to stay in this hotel though, because it has a "commendable" award from IHG. I work for IHG here in Houston(Holiday Inn Express) and I liked this hotel because it supposedly has like currency trade inside, a restaurant, a shuttle service within a five mile radius and all this great stuff... Hmm... I'll think about it.

My second question was gonna be, do you have any recommendations as to what we can do in Mexico? I'll be flying there Thursday the 4th to pick up my tickets, and then my girlfriend wants to "see" Mexico. So, what would be some fun, safe, tourist type things to do?

I don't know about the hotel, but when it comes to turisty stuff you're better off staying in Centro Historico. There's tons and I mean TONS to see, lots of restaurants and cafes, museums and little shops. There's the Zocalo and the cathedral and templo mayor is right there aswell. And if you feel like taking a little trip to see the pyramids, I would highly recomend you to ask your hotel for advise on estalished trips there :nice:

I'm from Mexico City and the truth is that is not as bad and dangerous as everybody thinks, yes it's a very big city and has a lot of insecurity but there aren't kidnappers in every corner. In fact I've lived here my whole life and I have never been mugged neither raped nor kidnapped and definitely nor murdered :cool: I've been victim of pickpockets a couple of times but that's all (yeah maybe I'm a very lucky person because most people I know has been mugged at least once).

You just have to be careful, take the precautions you would have in any big city, stay in touristic areas, and don't wear jewelry, expensive watches or stuff like that, and if you bring expensive devices like iphones, laptops, etc. don't take them out in the streets, and use "taxis de sitio" (you call to a phone number and a taxi picks you up in the place you are). But don't worry I've seen a lot of foreigner tourists going from here to there and they look like they are having a great time.

About the hotel as Ricardo has already told you, Plaza Universidad is far from the Foro Sol, there is one Holiday Inn closer I think it's called Plaza Dali, it's in the same avenue that the entrance of the Foro Sol, so there is no chance that the taxi will get lost or something, or you can stay in any hotel near the Airport, it's like 2 km away so it's still really close, or as Pris told you can stay at any hotel in the "Centro Historico", you will have a lot of turistic places near and is not so far from the Foro Sol (5 km aprox.).

About touristic places, well there a lot to see here, the Centro Historico is where you'll find most of the stuff, or you can visit the Museum of Anthropology in Chapultepec, another option is taking a turistic bus called Turibus that will take you to a lot of places and you can get out of it in any place you like and then take the next one, so you can visit a lot places without the fear of getting lost. And although you might spend almost a whole day, a trip to Teotihuacan pyramids is totally worth it.

I'm from Mexico City and the truth is that is not as bad and dangerous as everybody thinks, yes it's a very big city and has a lot of insecurity but there aren't kidnappers in every corner. In fact I've lived here my whole life and I have never been mugged neither raped nor kidnapped and definitely nor murdered :cool: I've been victim of pickpockets a couple of times but that's all (yeah maybe I'm a very lucky person because most people I know has been mugged at least once).

You just have to be careful, take the precautions you would have in any big city, stay in touristic areas, and don't wear jewelry, expensive watches or stuff like that, and if you bring expensive devices like iphones, laptops, etc. don't take them out in the streets, and use "taxis de sitio" (you call to a phone number and a taxi picks you up in the place you are). But don't worry I've seen a lot of foreigner tourists going from here to there and they look like they are having a great time.

About the hotel as Ricardo has already told you, Plaza Universidad is far from the Foro Sol, there is one Holiday Inn closer I think it's called Plaza Dali, it's in the same avenue that the entrance of the Foro Sol, so there is no chance that the taxi will get lost or something, or you can stay in any hotel near the Airport, it's like 2 km away so it's still really close, or as Pris told you can stay at any hotel in the "Centro Historico", you will have a lot of turistic places near and is not so far from the Foro Sol (5 km aprox.).

About touristic places, well there a lot to see here, the Centro Historico is where you'll find most of the stuff, or you can visit the Museum of Anthropology in Chapultepec, another option is taking a turistic bus called Turibus that will take you to a lot of places and you can get out of it in any place you like and then take the next one, so you can visit a lot places without the fear of getting lost. And although you might spend almost a whole day, a trip to Teotihuacan pyramids is totally worth it.

*claps* You just saved me some time, thank you

Whta?? they must have General A tickets! , I mean in their website , they still have!! , I mean i have mi ticket since saturday but my friend is going to buy it tomorrow!

Ehm, what do you mean ticketmaster still shows tickets for General A?? :thinking: Because as far as I know GA sold out since last saturday. If you mean it still give you the option, it always will even if they're sold out. If you actually click on the "buscar tus boletos" option, it'll say there's no more for that section and if you ask it to show you the best available tixx, it will give you General B.

THANKS! You guys are awesome! If I have any other questions, I know who to ask. :) Thank you so much! I just booked my flight! Leaves at 6:50 AM on Thursday the 4th. Now I just gotta pick the hotel.

Thank you for all the helpful info so far!!

What do you think about riding the subway? We are staying at a hotel near the museums. I'm sure we'll be able to call a safe taxi from the hotel to get to the venue, but I'm concerned about getting back after the show. What do you think would be the best course of action? Note: we stick out like a sore thumb.. female Asian (speaks no Spanish) and male Caucasian (speaks a bit of Spanish) and it will be at night (after the concert).

If you wanna stay on the safe side you can ask at your hotel's front desk if there's a way they can pick you up at the end of the show, so they'll give you a phone number you can call once the show is over.

But if you wanna try on the subway, it doesn't work 24 hours but I think it works until midnight which should be plenty of time to take it. Plus if anyone's wondering, there's a subway station right outside the Foro Sol. :nice:

Okay, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole thing.

What do you all think about the possibility of a 2nd Foro Sol date on the 7th? The reason I'm asking is, we're supposed to fly to Guadalajara on the 8th, but if there's no Mexico City date on the 7th then I'm thinking we should fly the 7th so that we can pick up our tickets 48 hrs in advance.

The subway is the easiest, fastest and safest way of travelling in Mexico City and it's extremely cheap, but the problem is that it closes at 0:00 am, so there is the posibility that you didn't catch it even if you leave as fast as you can, besides in some concerts I don't know why, the "ciudad deportiva" station is closed earlier (the one that it's outside the Foro Sol), so you have to run either to "velodromo" or "puebla" which are the other closest stations... Anyway when the subway is closed there are always a lot of taxis and also "microbuses" that take you to different zones of the city... but if you don't wanna take risks probably the best option is to call a safe taxi.

About the 2nd Foro Sol date, no idea, I'm also waiting more information about it, because I'm doubtful if buying a ticket for the Guadalajara concert or wait for that 2nd date ( I have ticket for the Foro Sol concert, but definitively only one date is not enough for me :cool: )

Okay, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole thing.

What do you all think about the possibility of a 2nd Foro Sol date on the 7th? The reason I'm asking is, we're supposed to fly to Guadalajara on the 8th, but if there's no Mexico City date on the 7th then I'm thinking we should fly the 7th so that we can pick up our tickets 48 hrs in advance.

You can get you tickets at ANY TM outlet, so you can pick up Guadalajara in Mexico City.

You can get you tickets at ANY TM outlet, so you can pick up Guadalajara in Mexico City.

I already purchased my Guadalajara tickets online. My understanding is that they have to be picked up at the venue box office 48 hrs in advance, not just any Ticketmaster in Mexico. Maybe I'm missing something.... I hope I'm wrong..??? If I hadn't bought the tix yet, I guess I could've just waited to get to get to Mexico to get them, but I'd be afraid that they'll have sold out of pit ("Golden Circle") by then.