✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

Hello tapemaker, here comes my review for you:

I received my tape a couple of days ago, but I didn't have time to listen to it, and then I lost some sleep over it contemplating that I didn't have time to listen to it. Deary me!

Hello HoraceScope! Are you a boy or a girl?:thinking:

My tape comes with artwork and the tracks are strangly numbered 1a, 2b, 3c and so forth. There are 14 tracks. The artwork shows a collection of tapes and records scattered all over the place and pictured in reversed colours. I recognise a couple of Coldplay CDs, The Best of Buddy Holly and a record with POLSKA written all over it. Very cool!

its great that you've recognized the best of Buddy Holly:lol: there also were a lot of Green Day CDs. I just thought that mixtape will be incomplete without one modest genius artwork:dozey:

Track 1 sounds like a very short piece of film score which recreates the picture of a dark deserted factory loft in my mind. I’m curious what is going to come next with an introduction like that.

Then i just was thinking that good mixtape would be boring without intro. and i found this one, you are right this a short piece from Matrix or Matrix 2 or Matrix 3

"which recreates the picture of a dark deserted factory loft in my mind" - i like this sentence)

Track 2 kicks off with a thick bass sound followed by heavy piano chords and a female singer singing very rhythmic dark atmospheric chants to me. Funny thing, the first few bars I wasn’t sure what language this song was sung in. I later realized it was indeed English. LOL!

There’s something about her voice. I think I know it, but then it could be anyone. And yet, the more I listen to the song, the more a picture from very long ago blends in. It reads Cat Power. Not sure, if I’m right, but I’m dead certain I like this song. Very much!

This is lovely Natasha Khan. I choose this song because it was absolutely great live when I saw Bat For Lashes as warm-up before Coldplay gig in Holland.

Track 3 starts with a very interesting guitar riff, I’m looking forward to the vocal… oh, I know that voice… it’s very typical Kings Of Leon! Great! I think I'm the only person on this board without a Kings Of Leon album in their collection and I need to get all of them rather SOON. Thanks for this track!!!

Right! their music is really great but i'm guilty of not having their album either:(

Track 4 I have never heard before, but two things crossed my mind seconds into the song: REM (tonality of the vocal) and “To Catch A Thief” (Hitchcock film from 1954), because of the first line “You see there is this cat burglar who can(‘t) see in the dark”. There’s a reference to 1954 later in the lyrics too. I’m not entirely sure, if it’s really Michael Stipe. It could be an impostor or a thief (…), but the song is very typical REM, similar to the Andy Kaufman song (Man On The Moon). As for the Hitchcock reference, I’m thrilled, because “To Catch A Thief” is one of my alltime favourite movies! And since I like REM too, I give this song a pair of undisputed thumbs up!

:thumbsup: wow, I love Hitchcock and REM too but I've never thought that this song has relation line with great Al! Thank you! its one of the best tracks from the "Around The Sun" album.

Track 5 goes into a slightly different direction. Listening to the intro I feared a disco cracker was coming up, but the song turned into a low-tempo pop number revolving around a bass drum and a pair of brown eyes. It could be a disco soul diva on a trip. I’m not sure, if I like her voice and I’m still looking for the deeper meaning of this song. I guess it’s just a silly song about a guy with brown eyes. And that’s about it with me and the charisma of this song. It does however fit in very well into the tape!

Excuse me but its Lady Gaga:shame: yep, meaning of the song is pretty stupid but the lyrics "Everything could be everything and everything is over" and the way they singing I like:rolleyes:

Track 6 is a screachy guitar number, the melody of which I think I’ve heard before. I have weird associations with this song. There’s a bit of Oasis crossed with Jesus Jones, then some Radiohead mixed with the unknown origin of the melody. It could be some obscure 90s Stone Roses or the like. Definitely the 90s. Not my favourite, but not bad.

yep, this one from 90s. Radiohead b-side from Airbag EP. Its my alarm song now;)

Track 7 is introduced by interesting acoustic guitar strumming followed by powerful folky violin. Cool! Is it a Polish lyric? I don’t understand any of it, but it sounds familiar. A couple of years ago I made plans to venture into Polish pop music (inspired by some guy on the Eurovision contest), but I never found the time to really do it. Sounds like it’s worth another try. BTW, I have ancestral ties to the Lublin and Lodz area, but I have always fought off attempts of my dad’s familiy to teach me the language. Stupid, ignorant, German brood… maybe some Polish music will do the trick. This one sounds very promising!

Sorry, but its not polish, just one of the best ukrainian rock bands. I glad that you like this song. this version with orchestra sounds inspiring, much better than boring original one. But they have interesting video on it, where their car explodes from the water in the end. They used almost the same BMW that Coldplay did in The Scientist:lol:

On track 8 a lady saw a saviour… I say she needs one, because her heavy drum track song with elflike vocals was created to accompany the flickering flourescent lights of a torturous interrogation room. At least that’s the association I get from it. Interesting! Music which creates pictures must be from a movie soundtrack.

Hahaha it would be funny experiment:lol: the title is suitable. well, the song is not very optimistic, and I do agree that melody here creates some pictures

Track 9 I heard before, but I can’t tell who or what it is. Oasis-like vocals, but the backing track is closer to Bowie's Heroes than to any Oasis track. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. “Kids in the night”… damn it, what is it?

Oasis...? almost:lol: this is Kasabian, song from their first album. I'm just starting to discover them.

Track 10 Oh holy cow, this is Frank Sinatra and the coffee from Brazil! Love it!

Haha, thanks, yes it is almighty Frank:cool: Perfect song for the morning coffee, isn't it? Good old times!:rolleyes:

Track 11 is a cool track by a Polish, Russian or Ukranian artist! Anyone who smacks the Bush family’s collective butt is a hero, but the vocal line of this song sucks. With a real melody this could be a huge hit! спасибо!

:laugh3: Danke! interesting... but unlike Gaga's song, this one has quite deep sense:P Singer is french actually, but he lives in ukraine.

Track 12 Oh oh, a soft rock number with an English, female vocal and slight, slight traces of a foreign accent. I may be totally wrong, but could it be one of the theatrical Eastern foxtresses who we have seen on the Eurovision? I rest my case, if I’m wrong.

I love this song and especially her voice in high scope. but I think its not song from Eurovision. I'm too busy to figure out who is Rapira and what good songs they have yet. I heard it on the one of our local radio station, quickly download and put to your mixtape. I even a little sure that its old stuff.

Track 13 is Muse! I recognize that voice anywhere and anytime! I like Muse, but I can’t tolerate his breathing. Can the guy ever breathe in silence? Great song! As usual!

this was easy one for you:cool:

Aw haha this breathing is a good sign of muse, well.. girls find it sexy, but I do agree that it is not nesessary:thinking:

Track 14 has lovely female vocals with lots of guitar harmonies. I like it, but it doesn’t grab me emotionally. Maybe it will grow on me with time.

Well, its Camera Obscura for the end. I wanted something quite and beautiful:dozey: their Razzle Dazzle Rose is one of the best songs ever written.

Relaxing goodbye:)

Dear tapemaker, thank you very much! You chose some wonderful tracks for my tape! There is a lot to explore and discover! Everything fits together perfectly and I intend to not only listen to this tape a lot, but also to X-ray some of the artists, once you told me who they are. Thumbs up!

:nice: You are welcome! thanks that you payed attention and found time to listen this mixtape. i hope you've enjoyed some of the tracks. Your review is just a dream for a mixmaker, you made pretty good analysis except of writting "good" "awesome" or "shit" and i respect you for this!

So, tracklisting:

1. Intro

2. Bat_For Lashes - Trophy

3. Kings Of Leon – Manhattan

4. R.E.M. - The Worst Joke Ever

5. Lady Gaga - Brown Eyes

6. Radiohead - Palo Alto

7. Okean_El’zy - 911(version with orchestra)

8. Portishead - Machine Gun

9. Kasabian - Test Transmission

10. Frank Sinatra - The Coffee Song

11. Esthetic Education – Mr. President (live)

12. Rapira – Breaking Me Down

13. Muse - Recess

14. Camera Obscura – A Sisters Social Agony

Artwork

artwork.jpg

Please excuse me, if I don’t come across as enthusiastic as I should. Right now, I am so awfully tired, I am not capable of emotional outburst at the moment (its 2:50 am). Deep down I feel honoured by this great tape and the care it was compiled with. Thanks muchas! :D

Hold on! Don't worry, you seem very enthusiastic:)

Hey Mac, nice to meet you! I saw you posting in other threads for the past couple of days, don't keep me waiting, you naughty little Ukrainian. :D

:facepalm:

I'm not naughty:inquisitive: I'm pretty boring person

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, as I promised a few days ago, here's my review for kat_iveson's tape!

I'm really sorry for the delay, I was supposed to do it this weekend but I've been busy...

So, here it is!

First, I saw the cover of the first song, and was afraid all the covers were there... But it appeared to be the cover of the mixtape, a picture of a band, in black and white, they are 5 young boys. Seems like I know one of the boys (with this nike tee shirt) but can't recognize the band... Anyway! MUSIC TIME :D

Track 1 : loud drums, electric guitar, bass line. Rock !! voice is nice, seems young. A good rock sound, great opener for the tape ! Like the birdge, quieter. « Wake up wake up hey ! » Yeah really good song, like the energy, this song wanna take you, these people wanna make you enjoy with them ! The guitars are especially good, and the drumming too ! Really like this one ! Like the « Hey ! » they shout !

Track 2 : Really rock again, starts with an electric guitar in distortion. Then an electro sound, a synth. Really rock again ! Rhythm is slower than the previous one, and it sounds definitely electro. Like this one too ! The transition is really good with the previous one. Haha so far, this tape seems to shout « FUUUUN ! », like this song ! Electro rock is a genre I really like when it’s well done, and here it is ! This song is cool. I like this little melancholy thing we can feel, but not that much. Oh the bridge is good with this piano, synth, and guitar ! This song grows on me :)

Track 3 : electric guitar, sounds more melancholic. Drums, guitars. All the instruments are brought very cleverly. This man’s voice coming confirm my thoughts, it’s a bit more melancholic. Great transition, again ! The chorus kinda annoys me… I liked this song at the beginning but now I feel a bit bored, maybe the drumming and strumming pattern is a bit repetitive for me, the same during the chorus and the verses, a bit too much… But I like the mood of this song though, melancholic but full of hope. Oh, it gets better, the bridge is good, love the guitar ! And then we get back to the song. Really, like the voice, like the mood but got a bit bored… Too bad ! I’ll let this song another chance I think cause I kinda like it. I’ll try to listen to it another time.

Track 4 : wow, heavy guitars ! drums ! And a violin ! Really great, really clever, once again ! The voice is a bit common but it fits well, and it’s nice. The mood is still a bit melancholic but the rhythm is faster so that’s great. Love the way they go back to the verse right after the chorus, really fast, don’t let you get bored. Bridge is good too, like the drums, the violins that are coming back, the clapping… Interesting song ! « looking for something else, for something else… » those lines get stucked in my head :)

Like the way it ends, brutally.

Track 5 : Oh, really different sound ! Bass line, great electric guitar repetitive riff, drums… A female voice ! Great voice, love her flow ! Very original ! This song kinda takes you and makes you travel ! Really catchy ! Foot’s tapping head’s shaking in rhythm :D

Like the mood of this song but can’t really describe it… A quieter song than the previous ones but still really powerful… Like the little folk guitar riff ! I’m not a big fan of female voices but this one is really great ! Reminds me of Nelly Furtado but in a better way lol ! Great song, enjoyed it !

Track 6 : Oh, acoustic guitar ! Really quieter ! A good rock indie song, a male voice. The chorus reminds me of Simple Plan. The kind of song you could easily hear on a tv show (no offense, just saying it sort of reminds me some memories). Like the violins, they bring this little thing that emphasizes the melancholic side. A more « classical » rock song, easy listening, but it really fits well in the tape. Like how the rhythm switches in one of the last chorus.

Track 7 : folk guitar, little reverb effect, like it ! male voice is coming, very good voice ! Original ! Like the way he sings ! It’s upbeat, with this melancholic instru, love it :)

Violins are great ! I really love his flow ! This voice is the most original one I heard in this mixtape ! Like the way he hits the high notes, this guy can really sing ! The rhythm is really original too ! love the drumming and the strumming pattern ! Everything fits well in this song, the violins, the voice, the drumming… It’s really not too much ! Already finished ? I think this one is one of my fav so far :)

Track 8 : starts with an electro effect, then piano and electric guitar. Male voice, pretty low. Like it too ! Like how the rhythm increases ! Like this little xylophone (or don’t know what) backwards during the chorus. Like the choirs ! Really enjoying this song ! One more time, everything fits perfectly. Oh a synth is coming, that’s great. The bridge is kinda weird though… But the way they come back to the song is great ! Like the mood of this one too, it’s full of hope, a bit serious, hard to describe !

Track 9 : Soft electric guitar, male voice. Like the way drums and bass came in. Seems I know the voice… Don’t know this song though. A really quiet song, with violins backwards, but also grabbing you, I like the rhythm and the way the chords switch fastly but not brutally. Another great « soft rock » song, pretty common but well done in this genre, like it ! This voice is really good, enjoying it more and more. The rhythm and the power increase step by step, gives another dimension to the song. Love the violins at the end !

Track 10 : Great folk reverbed guitar picking. Like this folky voice ! Seems a bit old but don’t know if it is. Like the piano. The instru is not heavy, not that much instruments. Piano, banjo bass are coming, that’s great ! Then we’re coming back to the simple instru. The song always seems to take off at some moments with the banjo and everything ! That’s really original ! And then we go back to the simple instru. That’s really original ! It grabs you, you’re always wondering what will come next !

Not my kind of music but I really enjoyed !

Track 11 : Organ then drums, bass line, electric guitar, male voice. Oh yeah, we’re coming back to the rock style ! But not that hard, it really fits well with the previous one as it’s not that fast and that heavy. The voice is pretty common but really enjoyable. The electric guitar solo is good ! There’s something in this song that sounds electro. Fading out at the end.

Track 12 : piano, drums… A bit dark… Male voice, great one. Like the echo backwards. Synth came, brings the electro side of the song, bass line too. The drums start « waking up », like it ! The power, the rhythm, everything is increasing ! Very clever, once again ! Oh yeah, the song took off ! Synth, drums… Really like this one ! The more it goes, the more the song seem brighter… It’s a long one, that’s great to see this change of mood. At the middle it gets quieter, like in the beginning. And then it takes off again, really great, with this synth. Everything fits perfectly. Really original song, enjoyed it ! Like the way it ends, softly, with the piano

Track 13 : Male voice ! Folk guitar picking, really great, bass line is good too ! This mood is really strange, can’t find words to describe it ! This guitar picking is really awesome, with the slides and some strums. We can hear a synth backwards, it bring some unreal dimension to the song ! Oh a short one ! Already finished !

Track 14 : Drums, bass line, guitar riff, good male voice… Seems to be a common soft rock song ! Like the drumming ! I have to mention the litle synth backwards, it brings something more to the song. The instru part becomes heavier at the middle of the song, with the drums and the guitar. The heavy part comes again, with violins too and trumpets. Brings it to a really melancholic mood. Original song again ! Thought it would be a « common soft rock song » but it appeared to be more than this ! Interesting track !

Track 15 : Male voice, folk guitar, choirs. Great ! Like the way it sounds ! It’s really nice, brings you into a feel good mood, without being mellow ! Electric distortion guitar, violin, female voice backwards… Confirms what I thought first ! The lyrics are great too « sweet heart, get so much freedom, but freedom is just another word… » really like these voices ! The violins are loud but don’t brings this into a tragical way, neither a mellow one, just a « feel good » feeling… Hard to describe, one more time ! Really enjoyed this one !

Track 16 : Guitar : seems like the guy is rehearsing, tapping on his guitar. Then it starts ! Love these guitars ! Folk, strummig pattern is great ! Oh this voice is really nice !!! It seems young, but it’s really great, really soothing, with a little broken thing… These guitars are really great ! I love this kind of acoustic songs, it’s been a long time I haven’t listen to that kind of music, that’s really pleasant cause it was one my fav genre for a long time. This song seems to warn me : it’s almost the end !

Track 17 : High strings at the beginning, great transition ! OOOOOOOOOOH FLOREEEENCE AND THE MACHINE !! OH YEAH :)

COSMIC LOVE ! One of my fav ! Really great version, acoustic one ! Oh it’s awesome :)

Just enjoying it (and singing along :D )

A great ending ! Well done :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed this mixtape ! The transitions were really clever, and I feel like you wanted to do a great job, and you succeeded ! It’s funny because I don’t have a favourite track this time (except cosmic love but that doesn’t count as I knew it), I usually have some crushes when I review a mixtape. Here I really liked all the tracks the same way, except cosmic love (already explained why :D ) and track 3 which I liked less. I liked the way you explored the rock music genre, with some electro rock, soft indie rock… I’m really impatient to know the tracklist as I didn't know any of the tracks, or almost!!

It was a pleasure to review this tape so thank you ! And again, sorry for the delay!!

So the reason I havn't posted my review yet is that Windows 7 has royally fucked my computer and always signs me on under a temporary profile where I can't access shit.

I intend to fix it today. And will post it in the next couple of days.

So, tracklisting:

1. Intro

2. Bat_For Lashes - Trophy

3. Kings Of Leon – Manhattan

4. R.E.M. - The Worst Joke Ever

5. Lady Gaga - Brown Eyes

6. Radiohead - Palo Alto

7. Okean_El’zy - 911(version with orchestra)

8. Portishead - Machine Gun

9. Kasabian - Test Transmission

10. Frank Sinatra - The Coffee Song

11. Esthetic Education – Mr. President (live)

12. Rapira – Breaking Me Down

13. Muse - Recess

14. Camera Obscura – A Sisters Social Agony

Artwork

artwork.jpg

Love that artwork!

So, as I promised a few days ago, here's my review for kat_iveson's tape!

I'm really sorry for the delay, I was supposed to do it this weekend but I've been busy...

So, here it is!

First, I saw the cover of the first song, and was afraid all the covers were there... But it appeared to be the cover of the mixtape, a picture of a band, in black and white, they are 5 young boys. Seems like I know one of the boys (with this nike tee shirt) but can't recognize the band... Anyway! MUSIC TIME :D

Track 1 : loud drums, electric guitar, bass line. Rock !! voice is nice, seems young. A good rock sound, great opener for the tape ! Like the birdge, quieter. « Wake up wake up hey ! » Yeah really good song, like the energy, this song wanna take you, these people wanna make you enjoy with them ! The guitars are especially good, and the drumming too ! Really like this one ! Like the « Hey ! » they shout !

Track 2 : Really rock again, starts with an electric guitar in distortion. Then an electro sound, a synth. Really rock again ! Rhythm is slower than the previous one, and it sounds definitely electro. Like this one too ! The transition is really good with the previous one. Haha so far, this tape seems to shout « FUUUUN ! », like this song ! Electro rock is a genre I really like when it’s well done, and here it is ! This song is cool. I like this little melancholy thing we can feel, but not that much. Oh the bridge is good with this piano, synth, and guitar ! This song grows on me :)

Track 3 : electric guitar, sounds more melancholic. Drums, guitars. All the instruments are brought very cleverly. This man’s voice coming confirm my thoughts, it’s a bit more melancholic. Great transition, again ! The chorus kinda annoys me… I liked this song at the beginning but now I feel a bit bored, maybe the drumming and strumming pattern is a bit repetitive for me, the same during the chorus and the verses, a bit too much… But I like the mood of this song though, melancholic but full of hope. Oh, it gets better, the bridge is good, love the guitar ! And then we get back to the song. Really, like the voice, like the mood but got a bit bored… Too bad ! I’ll let this song another chance I think cause I kinda like it. I’ll try to listen to it another time.

Track 4 : wow, heavy guitars ! drums ! And a violin ! Really great, really clever, once again ! The voice is a bit common but it fits well, and it’s nice. The mood is still a bit melancholic but the rhythm is faster so that’s great. Love the way they go back to the verse right after the chorus, really fast, don’t let you get bored. Bridge is good too, like the drums, the violins that are coming back, the clapping… Interesting song ! « looking for something else, for something else… » those lines get stucked in my head :)

Like the way it ends, brutally.

Track 5 : Oh, really different sound ! Bass line, great electric guitar repetitive riff, drums… A female voice ! Great voice, love her flow ! Very original ! This song kinda takes you and makes you travel ! Really catchy ! Foot’s tapping head’s shaking in rhythm :D

Like the mood of this song but can’t really describe it… A quieter song than the previous ones but still really powerful… Like the little folk guitar riff ! I’m not a big fan of female voices but this one is really great ! Reminds me of Nelly Furtado but in a better way lol ! Great song, enjoyed it !

Track 6 : Oh, acoustic guitar ! Really quieter ! A good rock indie song, a male voice. The chorus reminds me of Simple Plan. The kind of song you could easily hear on a tv show (no offense, just saying it sort of reminds me some memories). Like the violins, they bring this little thing that emphasizes the melancholic side. A more « classical » rock song, easy listening, but it really fits well in the tape. Like how the rhythm switches in one of the last chorus.

Track 7 : folk guitar, little reverb effect, like it ! male voice is coming, very good voice ! Original ! Like the way he sings ! It’s upbeat, with this melancholic instru, love it :)

Violins are great ! I really love his flow ! This voice is the most original one I heard in this mixtape ! Like the way he hits the high notes, this guy can really sing ! The rhythm is really original too ! love the drumming and the strumming pattern ! Everything fits well in this song, the violins, the voice, the drumming… It’s really not too much ! Already finished ? I think this one is one of my fav so far :)

Track 8 : starts with an electro effect, then piano and electric guitar. Male voice, pretty low. Like it too ! Like how the rhythm increases ! Like this little xylophone (or don’t know what) backwards during the chorus. Like the choirs ! Really enjoying this song ! One more time, everything fits perfectly. Oh a synth is coming, that’s great. The bridge is kinda weird though… But the way they come back to the song is great ! Like the mood of this one too, it’s full of hope, a bit serious, hard to describe !

Track 9 : Soft electric guitar, male voice. Like the way drums and bass came in. Seems I know the voice… Don’t know this song though. A really quiet song, with violins backwards, but also grabbing you, I like the rhythm and the way the chords switch fastly but not brutally. Another great « soft rock » song, pretty common but well done in this genre, like it ! This voice is really good, enjoying it more and more. The rhythm and the power increase step by step, gives another dimension to the song. Love the violins at the end !

Track 10 : Great folk reverbed guitar picking. Like this folky voice ! Seems a bit old but don’t know if it is. Like the piano. The instru is not heavy, not that much instruments. Piano, banjo bass are coming, that’s great ! Then we’re coming back to the simple instru. The song always seems to take off at some moments with the banjo and everything ! That’s really original ! And then we go back to the simple instru. That’s really original ! It grabs you, you’re always wondering what will come next !

Not my kind of music but I really enjoyed !

Track 11 : Organ then drums, bass line, electric guitar, male voice. Oh yeah, we’re coming back to the rock style ! But not that hard, it really fits well with the previous one as it’s not that fast and that heavy. The voice is pretty common but really enjoyable. The electric guitar solo is good ! There’s something in this song that sounds electro. Fading out at the end.

Track 12 : piano, drums… A bit dark… Male voice, great one. Like the echo backwards. Synth came, brings the electro side of the song, bass line too. The drums start « waking up », like it ! The power, the rhythm, everything is increasing ! Very clever, once again ! Oh yeah, the song took off ! Synth, drums… Really like this one ! The more it goes, the more the song seem brighter… It’s a long one, that’s great to see this change of mood. At the middle it gets quieter, like in the beginning. And then it takes off again, really great, with this synth. Everything fits perfectly. Really original song, enjoyed it ! Like the way it ends, softly, with the piano

Track 13 : Male voice ! Folk guitar picking, really great, bass line is good too ! This mood is really strange, can’t find words to describe it ! This guitar picking is really awesome, with the slides and some strums. We can hear a synth backwards, it bring some unreal dimension to the song ! Oh a short one ! Already finished !

Track 14 : Drums, bass line, guitar riff, good male voice… Seems to be a common soft rock song ! Like the drumming ! I have to mention the litle synth backwards, it brings something more to the song. The instru part becomes heavier at the middle of the song, with the drums and the guitar. The heavy part comes again, with violins too and trumpets. Brings it to a really melancholic mood. Original song again ! Thought it would be a « common soft rock song » but it appeared to be more than this ! Interesting track !

Track 15 : Male voice, folk guitar, choirs. Great ! Like the way it sounds ! It’s really nice, brings you into a feel good mood, without being mellow ! Electric distortion guitar, violin, female voice backwards… Confirms what I thought first ! The lyrics are great too « sweet heart, get so much freedom, but freedom is just another word… » really like these voices ! The violins are loud but don’t brings this into a tragical way, neither a mellow one, just a « feel good » feeling… Hard to describe, one more time ! Really enjoyed this one !

Track 16 : Guitar : seems like the guy is rehearsing, tapping on his guitar. Then it starts ! Love these guitars ! Folk, strummig pattern is great ! Oh this voice is really nice !!! It seems young, but it’s really great, really soothing, with a little broken thing… These guitars are really great ! I love this kind of acoustic songs, it’s been a long time I haven’t listen to that kind of music, that’s really pleasant cause it was one my fav genre for a long time. This song seems to warn me : it’s almost the end !

Track 17 : High strings at the beginning, great transition ! OOOOOOOOOOH FLOREEEENCE AND THE MACHINE !! OH YEAH :)

COSMIC LOVE ! One of my fav ! Really great version, acoustic one ! Oh it’s awesome :)

Just enjoying it (and singing along :D )

A great ending ! Well done :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed this mixtape ! The transitions were really clever, and I feel like you wanted to do a great job, and you succeeded ! It’s funny because I don’t have a favourite track this time (except cosmic love but that doesn’t count as I knew it), I usually have some crushes when I review a mixtape. Here I really liked all the tracks the same way, except cosmic love (already explained why :D ) and track 3 which I liked less. I liked the way you explored the rock music genre, with some electro rock, soft indie rock… I’m really impatient to know the tracklist as I didn't know any of the tracks, or almost!!

It was a pleasure to review this tape so thank you ! And again, sorry for the delay!!

Glad You Liked it :) (and that picture weren't meant to be there :laugh3:)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yhldrjmgnwm

1. We are the foolish - General Fiasco

2. Binary - Ash

3. Pounding - Doves

4. The Great escape - The Rifles

5. When I'm alone - Lissie

6. Thunder - Boys like girls

7. Sinking ships - General Fiasco

8. Take Over The World - The Courteeners

9. Many Of Horror - Biffy Clyro

10. The Cave - Mumford & sons

11. Fader - The temper trap

12. Silvia - Miike Snow

13. Here comes the blackout...! - Stornoway

14. Buildings - General Fiasco

15. Soul on fire - Spiritualized

16. Where are your friends - Lights & sounds

17. Cosmic Love (acoustic) - Florence + the machine

Join the club, it seems the person I sent my tape to has disappeared off the face of the earth :(

Here's my link if anybody wants to review it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/406219927/Mixtape_6.zip.html

Hi Dargarius :), I've listen your mixtape this morning and wrote my feelings while I was listening to it. It's not a develloped review because my english isn't good and it's hard to get the good word in a foreign language.

Track 1 : Really peaceful introduction for that mixtape. It's not what I'm used to listen but it’s a good track to begin this tape.

Track 2 : Again this is really not what I’m listening usually and I’m not fan of the singer voice but it’s fresh.

Track 3 : Back to something calm. Guitar introduction, then the singer. Maybe a bit too calm but I just wake up and it’s relaxing to listen to this song at 6 in the morning.

Track 4 : What a change of pace! ! Much more energic. But I don’t really like it. Not that I find it bad but just too commun, even the guitar solo doesn’t touch me. But It definitely wakes me.

Track 5 : again guitar intro, calm. More interesting than the track 3. There are nuances that aren't in the third track. I like this one.

Track 6 : instrumental introduction, really intersting. The singer and the choirs seems retro. I don’t really like but there is something that intrigues me in that song. I will certainly listen to this group later.

Track 7 : Again a retro song, 60s style. I want to get up from my chair and dance, and snap my fingers, and that what I’m gonna to do while brushing my teeth for the rest of the song. See you in three minutes.

Track 8 : Now that my teeth are ultra bright, back to a rock song. Seems to be an old song. I’m not a rock fan but this on is fine. and I'm still dancing (it's hard to dance, brush my teeth and write this review in the same time).

Track 9 : Guitar again, but not as acoustic as the third track. There is a battery that intensifies the song and I like the sound of the guitar. It’s starting like something that remind me Nirvana or that kind of band and the more we get through the song the more the voice become strong. Finaly it turning in a metal song. I love the begining but I passed the end.

Track 10 : again it's a calm instrumental, short. Didn't have much to said.

Track 11 : Let the guitar take a break and give the piano a chance. Energic start. A pop song, common music, common voice. Nothing really intersting in that song but at this earlier time it's put a smile on my face.

Track 12 : Again a short instrumental track, with violons. It’s a sad track. All that mixtape was happy and now, in few second, I just have sad feelings coming up, and I just want to cry.

Track 13 : Dry your tears Louise (that’s my name btw) it’s time for Hip hop / R’n B. Well to be honest I've just listen the first minute and skip the rest. I don’t like.

Track 14 : Back to a pop song. I’m definitly a pop lover but not that pop. As I already said it’s too common, too commercial. But I have to said that it work, I have my head going right to left. it's reminds me Rob Thomas.

Track 15 : nice violons track. Sometimes a drum make it intense. I like this track.

Track 16 : a piano-voice song, a pop song. Again nothing really intersting in that song. But it closing very well this mixtape.

Finaly as you can see I didn’t like a lot of songs on your mixtape but I had a great time. Waking up with it was really good. Never heard any of those songs and appart from the track 14 that could be a Rob Thomas song, I’m sure that I didn't know any of the bands you put in your mixtape. I like how you put the song. Alterning calm and energic songs, put some intrumentals tracks and try different genres. So I have no regrets to have download your tape. And would like to have the tracklist to listen to some groups.

;)

OK, so it looks like loudefix beat me to reviewing your tape, Dave. Given that I put in quite a bit of work into it, I'm posting my review of your tape, anyway. :wacky:

1. This starts with some guitar, shortly followed by strings. It’s a very pretty number. :wacky: I believe this is an instrumental of sorts, which is perfect as an intro for a mixtape. The ritardando at the end helps it ease into the next track.

2. Speaking of the next track, I know this song. It’s “Manic Monday” by The Bangles. :dance: I don’t really know The Bangles themselves that well, but I have heard this song numerous times, and I must admit, it’s quite a catchy tune. It’s songs like these that make me think that ‘80s music may not be so bad.

3. This song starts off with very soft guitar, which also sounds a bit cheeky. There are also some soft drums. The vocalist has clean vocals; I like them a lot. This song reminds me a bit of Nickel Creek in the sense that it’s soft and acoustic with similar-sounding vocals. Nickel Creek, however, has a bit of bluegrass influence to it, and this doesn’t. I’m starting to think that this is a solo artist of sorts, mostly because there’s not much other than the guitar and singing going on. Not that this is a problem, considering it’s nice guitar playing with nice vocals and, from what I can tell, nice lyrics. I really like this track.

4. This song contrasts with the previous one quite a bit. This has a rock feel to it, with strumming guitars and a drumset. The background music seems to cover up the vocalist here, and consequently, I can’t really hear what the singer is singing lyrically. The voice is good, though, so it’s not like the voice sucks to where I can’t understand it. I just wish the singing were louder. The guitar parts are pretty much the same throughout the song. Actually, the song within itself is quite simple structurally speaking. Again, there’s nothing wrong with that. I tend to go with things that sound good to my ear, and this sounds good enough to me.

5. We’re back to acoustic with this number. This is quite similar to the first track, so I think it’s safe to assume this is an interlude of some sort to the tape. I quite like these instrumental transitions, though. Is this by the same artist as the first track? I want to say it is due to the similarities within the tracks.

6. This starts off with some chords, drumming, and “OOOOOH”s. :laugh4: The “OOOH”-ing somewhat reminded me of Fleet Foxes. The singer sounds like a softer, British version of the guy from Interpol. I like it actually. The music sounds similar throughout this number, like Track 4 did. I believe the vocals is what really grabs my attention in this number. Otherwise, the number seems kinda “blah” to me. Ionno.

7. Haha, saxophone. :wacky: The beginning reminds me of what something from the ‘50s might sound like. “Ride around my moped, looking for fun.” This song has a very fun feel to it. It makes me want to do a cheesy sway back and forth. Maybe this is a modern band that does some old-sounding things, like Belle and Sebastian (who, BTW, I quite enjoy). Haha, handclaps. Nice. :P OMG, there’s an accelerando in there, and then it returns to the original tempo. That’s a nice touch to the song. Man, this song gets catchy really quick. Watch me get this number stuck in my head the rest of the day. :dance:

8. I know this song, oddly enough, thanks to “Guitar Hero 5.” This is “Saturday Night’s Alright (for Fighting)” by Elton John. I didn’t recognize it right away, but once the piano came in and I heard the chorus, I was like, “Oh yeahhhhh.” I don’t believe I’ve actually played the song on the game before, which is why I didn’t recognize it until the singing or whatever. At any rate, the more I listen to it, the more I get of the Elton John feel. I’ve always appreciated how much piano is incorporated into his music. It gives his tunes some nice “oomph,” you know? Anyway, maybe I should play this song more often. Yes, I really should. Maybe sometime later today, after I’m done with this review, I’ll mess with it. It’s a nice number, at any rate.

9. This begins with a guitar intro. After a bit, drums make their entrance, and as the song progresses, they become more prevalent. The guitar part is reminiscent of some metal band like Tool, mostly due to the sound the guitar makes. The vocals are subdued, which matches the attitude of the song thus far. Apart from a few parts, it’s a rather quiet song in nature. Three minutes into the song, I’m expecting the song to go somewhere different. Thankfully, the song maintains a sense of loudness for a little longer than usual before settling back down into calmness. The further I get into this track, the more I wonder about why this song is so long. Oh wait, a really loud section. Maybe I spoke too soon. Ionno. Maybe I expected more from this number because it’s about 9 ½ minutes long. OK, it’s been in this section for a while now. I’m in the last ½ minutes now, and it goes back to a section first heard in the first third of the song, then takes another turn back to the loud part.

10. It seems like this is another interlude. This time, it’s a sinister sounding track overtaken by synths. It’s nice to have a different feel. I actually like this quite a bit, despite what I thought of it in the first few seconds. It reminds me very vaguely of a style some group like The xx might do or something. I can’t really find a good way to describe it. I like it, though, so it doesn’t really matter. It ends with a fadeout.

11. This number starts with a strong piano intro. OOOH. I really like how this song is evolving, with the drums and everything. This is definitely more of what I would listen to. The vocals in this sound a bit like the ones on the third track, but the styles of the songs are so different, I think it’s safe to say they’re not the same group. I love piano-driven songs like this. This song is also incredibly upbeat, which is a nice difference from the soft acoustic feel a lot of this tape seems to possess. :dance: I love this number.

12. This number opens with pizzicato strings. HAHAHAHA. It’s a string version of Radiohead’s “Exit Music (for a Film).” Which string quartet is this, Dave?

13. So, we’re back to louder music. :stunned: I think this is a mash-up. The main song is “Encore” by Jay-Z, and there’s some “Ohhh yeahhh”s in there. It sounds like The Beatles. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is, but it sounds familiar. I’m intrigued to hear what this is.

14. I know this song from the radio. It’s “Second Chance” by Shinedown. I’ve heard a few songs by Shinedown, and I like them, I think. The lyrics to this song are definitely a booster to this song. I know for sure my brothers like this song. I remember watching the music video to this song. It was quite moving.

15. This starts off in an orchestra setting, with timpani and strings, mostly high strings. This is more like the first two instrumental tracks on the album. This sounds like something off a film score, more so than the rest of the mixtape. Given that I like music like this , it’s great. Have I heard this from somewhere? It’s like the more I listen to it, the more I think I know it from somewhere. I await the reveal for this track.

16. “It’s happening, baby.” This is a singer playing a piano, from what I can tell. This vocalist sounds familiar, for whatever reason. I’m probably wrong in saying that, however. Given how much I love piano, I don’t mind at all. “Goddnight, Hollywood Boulveard, goodnight. See you sometime.” This track is a nice, chill way to end the mixtape. Great way to wrap things up, I think.

Anyway, nice tape, Dave. Despite the fact it wasn't made for me, I felt like it was a tape I had a good time listening to. Also, I hope you don't mind me reviewing your tape when someone else already did. I think it's nice to get other opinions. :)