✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

Yep ! It's indeed "Fog" by Radiohead. I thought maybe this song was one of their less known and considering it's one of my favourite RH songs (and my most played) I just HAD to put it in the mix. I feel like I'm floating when I listen to this song. It's so dreamy and delicate and PERFECT really. :sweatdrop:

I adore it too! Was it Fog (again) on piano?:rolleyes:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore it too! Was it Fog (again) on piano?:rolleyes:

:nice:

Nope it wasn't the one on piano. I don't like this one too much to be honest, probably because I knew the other one too much when I found out about the one on piano. :shrug:

Forgot to post link :inquisitive: I also edited the original :nice:

Just Cause You Feel It Doesn't Mean It's There: Phantom Limb

1. Elbow - Mirrorball | The Seldom Seen Kid

2. Frightened Rabbit - Swim Until You Can't See Land | The Winter Of Mixed Drinks

3. Lou Reed - Perfect Day | Transformer

4. The Shins - Phantom Limb | Wincing The Night Away

5. Joanna Newsom - '81 | Have One On Me

6. Susanne Sundfør - Turkish Delight | The Brothel

7. Fleet Foxes - Heard Them Stirring | Fleet Foxes

8. Elbow (with Richard Hawley) - The Fix | The Seldom Seen Kid

9. Bon Iver - Come Talk To Me (Peter Gabriel Cover)

10. Fleet Foxes - Your Protector | Fleet Foxes

11. Muse - Soldiers Poem | Black Holes And Revelations

12. Franz Ferdinand - Come On Home | Franz Ferdinand

13. Radiohead - There There (The Boney King Of Nowhere) | Hail To The Thief

14. Frightened Rabbit - Yes, I Would | The Winter Of Mixed Drinks

15. Lightning Dust - Wondering What Everyone Knows | Infinite Light

16. Built To Spill - Things Fall Apart | There Is No Enemy

17. Emma Pollock - The Child In Me | The Law Of Large Numbers

18. The Beatles - Across The Universe | Let It Be...Naked

http://www.mediafire.com/?mziiwulkgtn

If anyone's interested :shy:

i did that one. :)

sorry that you didn't liked it much, basically i just wanted to introduce to whoever get to be my receiver -i made the mixtape before i knew who i'll be making it to- to some bands from here (Spain).

Glad to know that you liked: Anni B Sweet, Hola a todo el mundo, Alondra Bentley (i opened a thread about her here some time ago), Russian Red.

tracklist:

1. La llave del oro by Los Planetas

2. The Long Fall by Marlango

3. La la la by Anni B Sweet

4. Looking For The Sun by Niño y Pistola

5. A Movement Between These Two by Hola A Todo El MUndo

6. Giants are Windmills by Alondra Bentley

7. Goobye Angel by CatPeople

8. Don't Give Up by We are Standard

9. My Pan by The Sunday Drivers

10. Take Me Home by Russian Red

11. Falling Over by Boat Beam

12. Getaway by Arizona Baby

13. Flashback by Mendetz

14. Sad in my Cloud by Sidonie

15. Upsilon Andromedae by The Viper Sound

Wow I thought I would know at least one artist but I was completely wrong :lol:! I have never heard of any of them, actually. :facepalm:!

I understand that you wanted to introduce spanish artist.

I'll check the ones I liked :nice:. Thanks !

I already wrote this reply twice, but my laptop ran out of power twice, so I lost those. Twice. :dozey:

Heh, that was quite a leap though. All the very unknown tracks made me think they probably weren't UK or US, so Australia seemed like a good option because a lot of good music has been coming from there. That and the balance between Aus/ UK indie gave me the idea that the tape might be yours (in the sense of "hey, I wouldn't be surprised if.."). But I didn't have enough evidence to include it in my review. :tongue:

*download* Love this song! :wacky:

Yeah, Tokyo Police Club is great. I've discovered them through Citizens of Tomorrow and sort of kept track of them ever since. Got to check out that new album. :wacko:

I want Bloc Party back.

The Nick Tree Band is probably my favourite new band from this tape. I finally figured out what it reminds me of (besides Mumford), Villagers! I can't believe they are so unknown though.. They aren't even on last fm. It's almost a crime really. :freak: Currently listening other songs on myspace and still liking it. Creature Comforts is my favourite though.

Winter of Mixed Drinks. :heart: I wish more people discovered Frightened Rabbit..

Hey, I know Evermore. Or rather, I know of Evermore. :thinking: This requires further listening.

12. 'Moon Theory' - Miami Horror

13. 'Flash A Hungry Smile' - Mystery Jets

I need to get that album, preferably yesterday.

HA. So I'm not hearing things after all. At first I thought the song was about Joan of Arc, but I googled a bit and only got some cheesy old songs. In hindsight, the first Jona is a give away, but it's a smart (and very sneaky) homophone.

That's a bit sneaky but it works very well. I've heard of Teenage Fanclub (hard to miss really) but never bothered to check them out. Same goes for Kowalski, so I'll add those to the "must listen to in near future" list.

It's getting kinda long, yeah. I was really happy that I only recognized a couple of songs, so you did a great job at that. Actually, I think Frightened Rabbit is the only band you included that I've seen. Already hunting for more songs of some of the bands on the tape. :D

Ha I want Bloc Party back too. Yeah Nick Tree Band incredibly unknown but I guess that one song won't do them any harm. Glad I could introduce you to some new stuff!

Quote from Macintosh:

Hello HoraceScope! Are you a boy or a girl?

Why? Do you want to marry me? :wink3:

Quote from Macintosh:

Track 2 This is lovely Natasha Khan. I choose this song because it was absolutely great live when I saw Bat For Lashes as warm-up before Coldplay gig in Holland.

Oh, I have to check out Bat For Lashes. Haven’t heard any of their songs yet apart from a cover Expatriate did of one of their songs

Which Coldplay show in Holland are you talking about? I saw them in Holland too! In Nijmegen, last September. Apologies in advance, if I appear to not know everything about Coldplay. The truth is…I’m no die-hard fan… yet.

Quote from Macintosh:

Track 5 Excuse me but its Lady Gaga yep, meaning of the song is pretty stupid but the lyrics "Everything could be everything and everything is over" and the way they singing I like

Gaga? Oh! So far I refused to buy her album, but I saw her perform live on French TV (Taratata) which was brilliant! Great voice and piano skills!

Quote from Macintosh:

Track 7 Sorry, but its not polish, just one of the best ukrainian rock bands. I glad that you like this song.

Excellent! Polish, Ukrainian, who cares as long as it’s as good as this! Actually I should have known, because my 96 years old grandma is from Ukraine! I still have family near Kyiv! I even visited Ukraine myself, when I was about 2! Many moons ago! But I have no contact whatsoever to my Ukrainian family today. To me they just exist on paper.

Quote from Macintosh:

Track 9 Oasis...? almost this is Kasabian, song from their first album. I'm just starting to discover them.

Oh, Kasabian. I actually saw them live once at Live Earth in London in 2007. Is it possible that I remember the song from listening to it at Wembley Stadium?

Quote from Macintosh:

Track 11 Danke! interesting... but unlike Gaga's song, this one has quite deep sense Singer is french actually, but he lives in ukraine.

Excusez-moi!? A frog who lives in Ukraine? He cannot be in his right mind (no offense!). How could he possibly leave a beautiful country like France? Paris! Normandie! Bretagne! There must be a woman to blame…

Quote from Macintosh:

You are welcome! thanks that you payed attention and found time to listen this mixtape. i hope you've enjoyed some of the tracks. Your review is just a dream for a mixmaker, you made pretty good analysis except of writting "good" "awesome" or "shit" and i respect you for this!

Thank you! Well, I love writing lengthy sermons about this and that, so it came very easy.

Quote from Macintosh:

So, tracklisting:

1. Intro

2. Bat_For Lashes - Trophy

3. Kings Of Leon – Manhattan

4. R.E.M. - The Worst Joke Ever

5. Lady Gaga - Brown Eyes

6. Radiohead - Palo Alto

7. Okean_El’zy - 911(version with orchestra)

8. Portishead - Machine Gun

9. Kasabian - Test Transmission

10. Frank Sinatra - The Coffee Song

11. Esthetic Education – Mr. President (live)

12. Rapira – Breaking Me Down

13. Muse - Recess

14. Camera Obscura – A Sisters Social Agony

Great tape! Love it! I will definitely investigate Bat For Lashes, Kings Of Leon, Okean_El’zy and Kasabian a little further. Maybe even R.E.M. , whose “Around the Sun” album I don’ have, Gaga (no, not just yet) and Portishead (who I strangely connect to Bristol everytime I hear their name, is that where they hail from?).

Thanks, Mac!

PS: I’m a girl in disguise.

Review of Carla's tape:

Review of my mixtape:

A first impression after importing is that finally there is someone whom knows how to clear every piece of song information.

Track 1

Hockey with Too Fake, good start of the mixtape

Track 2:

Sound a bit like Mew, ends a bit suddenly

Track 3:

Good intro, working on a dream by the boss by any chance?

Track 4:

In that moment you realise, that something you thought would always be there will die, like everything else. When Anger Shows by Editors, good song 

Track 5:

A song I don’t know, nice melody and lyrics

Track 6:

Folkie song, good beat and it builds up, I’ve heard it before but can’t pin down the band, good song

Track 7:

Piano based song, Rolling Stones Fool to Cry?

Track 8:

Keyboard song, good melody and vocals, never heard of it before, American band?

Track 9:

North American band me thinks, those vocals will get annoying after a while, plus it has an head-ache introducing melody, shoe-gazing isn’t it called?

Track 10:

Muse, one of their slower songs, can’t pick it out from one of the albums, be it a b-side?

Track 11:

Sufjan Stevens, and if I’m not mistaken it sounds like The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!

Track 12:

Uplifting female vocalist, Metric I think.

Track 13:

Travis from the Good Feeling album?

Track 14:

Placebo – The Bitter End, good way to end the mixtape

I knew you might recognize all the songs I put there, so here's the tracklist:

1. Too Fake - Hockey. You were right.

2. A Dark Design - Mew

3. Working On A Dream - Bruce Springsteen

4. When Anger Shows - Editors

5. Rootless - Damien Rice

6. The Rain - The Swell Season

7. Fool To Cry - The Rolling Stones

8. Foreign Land - Eskimo Joe. It's an aussie band.

9. Early Bird - The Frames

10. Con-Science - Muse. Yes is a Muscle Museum b-side

11. The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us! - Sufjan Stevens. Right again.

12. Gimme Sympathy - Metric

13. U16 Girls - Travis

14. The Bitter End - Placebo

Hope you liked it :)

Hi Mixtape maker! I’m April.

Ok! I’m so very very sorry this is so awfully late, but hey: you gave it to me late, so now we’re even, right?

And I do have an excuse for why it’s so late:

Because I’m not a premium user of RapidShare, I had to wait half an hour between downloads as a free user. VERY frustrating.

BUT ANYWAY!!

I eventually got all the music, and I must say that I was rather impressed. Great selection!

Ok, here we go...

Track 01: Starts with a sort of echoy guitar, and moves into thumping drums, making quite a catchy beat. After a few bars of this, another guitar comes in, all high pitched like. I like! I like! That voice... I know it somewhere... Kings of Leon maybe?? Really enjoyed this one!

Towards the end there are these loud drums, makes it pretty cool for an opening track. Great start.:dance:

Track 02: The lead singer has quite an unusual voice. Very unique. Another very catchy song.

I certainly liked this one more than the first track, but both still were good intros into the mixtape.

Near the end there’s this really awesome piano in the background. This song makes me wanna dance!:dance:

Track 03: Starts with a sort of funky guitary- keyboardy bit. Is this the Fleet Foxes? Sounds pretty similar. If it’s not then they have a really similar style. The song gets quiet, then loud, then loud drums lead into a simply hilarious whistling and violin part.:D That bit made me want to go back and whistle along with it.

Great choice!:)

Track 04: Piano beginning. I’ve definitely heard this before. Enormously catchy. I think I might die from its catchiness. Went straight into my iTunes playlist. I don’t know what else to say.

Yet another song that pleased me enormously. And definitely my favourite song so far!:)

Track 05: This one had a very slow beginning. A couple of hand claps every now and then...

I wasn’t sure about the singing, but it grew on me after a while. This reminded me of summer, for some reason. I did like the guitar in the background, and the choir was certainly a surprise.:)

Wow.

This is SERIOUSLY an awesome mixtape. Well done you!

Track 06: This song started with a really fast guitar bit, followed by the singer (who sounds a lot like Radiohead’s lead singer) joining in. I loved the drum beats in the background.

After about a minute it came into this awesome... I don’t even know how to describe it. It’s just too awesome. Another amazing choice.

This song was very, very enjoyable. Loved it. I’m not even kidding.:lol: :dance:

Track 07: This song had a very interesting intro. It started with people laughing in the background, followed by this really strong drum beat.

I didn’t like it, to be honest, until it got to 40 seconds in. Yet another song that makes me want to dance. Loved the “Ooooooooooo”y bits, if that makes sense! The only problem that I didn’t really like was that it ended so suddenly. I was expecting it to go on for a lot longer.:)

Track 08: The second song on the mix to start with echoy guitar. Good start so far...

I began wondering if there was going to be singing at all!

Sorry, but this is the only song so far that I didn’t really like. It’s alright, but a little repetitive.:(

Track 09: OH MY GOD Tonight, Tonight!

I love this song! Amazing. Simply amazing. Have you got the string quartet version? I have it, and it’s pretty damn good. Really. I’m not even kidding. Get it.

Great choice! Even if I do know it already.:dance:

Track 10: Videotape, Radiohead. :dance:

Love it. *Freaks out*. I don’t know what else to say. It’s awesome. And an absolutely AWESOME way to end the mixtape. Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it!

:dance::dance:

Yay Radiohead! :dance:

THANK YOU for such a great mixtape. I honestly don’t know how my introduction to the Exchange could have been better.

Even though I knew two songs, that doesn’t even matter, because they’re awesome songs.

I love how all the songs just fit so well with each other, with the echoy intro of the first song, and the mysterious, eerie chords of Videotape.

:dance: :heart:

And I can forgive you for getting it to me late, because it was awesome. I’m not even kidding. (Do I say that too much?)

There’s no other way of describing my joy over this mix, other than giving you a 9/10. It was great and I really enjoyed it.

Thank you! :heart:

Late Review time, i don't really have a good excuse for reviewing so late so let's just get to it.

Track 1: It opens with a guitar and some percussion instruments, now the drums kick in it's a cool song so far now a second guitar kicks in i believe, a man's voice starts singing he sounds kinda British.Instrumental break near the end. The chorus is kinda cool, catchy drums and lyrics. I like it.

Track 2: this one opens with some drums and what i think is a keyboard or something not my taste really, now a man is singing, hate his voice really. The chorus is kicking in it's not too bad. I don't really like this song, not my style.

Track 3: man's voice and some bass or guitar i know i've heard this song somewhere before but i can't quite remember where, there is some synth now and drums, the chorus is nice, short instrumental break, very popish song. Nice climax, i like this song

Track 4: this song opens with a guitar and some drums and maybe a keyboard?, a man is singing now sounds American, nice guitar, good buildup, chorus now kind of anti-climatic but still nice. I'm kind of torn on this song.

Track 5: man's voice and some guitar, drums join in, chorus is nice, lyrics are catchy as is the guitar and chorus. Overall i like this song quite alot.

Track 6: a man's voice sounds slightly like John Lennon quite honestly Drums and guitar, the chorus just started, the lyrics are very nice and i feel like i've heard someone else do this song is this a cover?, guitar solo now pretty cool. I'd like to hear more from this artist.

Track 7: guitar and drums man's voice sounds kind of like Matt Bellamy is this a Muse song? Even if it isn't this is definitely a cover i can hear that in the Chorus, very good climax and buildup, kind of a dreamy song if you look away from the chorus. Liking this song.

Track 8:drums and guitar some bass i think, deep man's voice now i think he's speaking French am i right? Very nice chorus there's some synth in there, the instrumental break was very cool, i feel like i should write "cool" and "nice" less but i just can't. Good song.

Track 9:strings open this song drums and a man's voice kick in, sad lyrics though a bit cheesy, a little buildup is this another cover?. Kind of nice song, not great.

Track 10: Anarchy In The UK ballad version? I LOVE it, i'm not just saying that i'm going to make this my ringtone, Great choice, this is defintely my favorite song on the mixtape.

Track 11: somehow this track was moved from number 11 to 18 when i transferred it to my Ipod, anyway. This is a live song nice and energetic opening man's voice very high pitched, pre-chorus now i think, the chorus is very cool the lyrics sound meaningfull and the guitar and drums are catchy, the instrumental break was very good, now there's a duet going on, now there's just a woman singing this part is a lot more energetic a lot of drum breaks and this lady has quite a voice.

Track 12: starts of with a guitar then some drums, now some bass and a man's voice and there came the guitar, very up-tempo and energetic, some synth now i think, it's kind of repetitive, it's very dull for an up-tempo song. I don't really like this one.

Track 13: piano and some hip-hopish drums, a woman's voice joins in, Pre-chorus now the woman has a nice voice, the Chorus now slightly anti-climatic but it's still early in the song so we'll see if it can redeem it-self. Very dreemy song, not my style tbh.

Track 14: man's voice, Drums and guitar, did he just say he's the best f*** she'll ever have? Well the chorus is nice and a very nice climax, the singer isn't great but he get's the job done, there was some piano there for a moment, this song is good i'll probably listen some more to this Artist.

Track 15: guitar and drums very catchy, some distortion, a man's voice sounds like he's a bit old like around his 40's – 50's, the chorus is not too bad but not too good either kinda ok really, this song i'll most likely listen to some more.

Track 16:acoustic guitar picking and some piano this is a foreign language for me sound's French, this girl has a very good voice the song is very dreamy, the chorus really shows her full range, i like this song though i don't understand a thing she's saying.

Track 17: guitar opens, mans voice and drums now this singer has to be American anyway i don't like his voice, Chorus now very good climax and just for the record i take back what i said about his voice i'm quite enjoying it now, i'm looking forward to seeing who this is.

Track 18: some noise, and now some hi-hat,guitar kicks in a German man is now sing in well German all i understand is one-dimensional, two and Autobahn. The song is kind of cool though a bit out of my normal genre's, there isn't much of a climax or Chorus a slight change of pace but nothing much, the song is a bit dull in the end but there is a cool guitar solo in there.

overall i really liked this mixtape i'm really looking forward to seeing who the artist's are, i don't expect to know any of them though. i'd give this tape 8/10