✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2-July-2011] Coldplay @ Rock Werchter festival, Belgium

Carlaatje

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was amazing ! I really liked the setlist, although I really hoped that they were going to play PoC but it was still incredible ! I stood at the front and all those lights, people... goosebumps !

The crowd was amazing too.

Charlie Brown was more powerful then ever ! You could see that Chris Martin enjoyed it too. A lot of energy.

But during the performance of Portishead (they were on stage just before Coldplay) some people already started to sing Viva La Vida.

You may always sing Viva La Vida (because it's definitely a really nice festival song!) but not during a performance of someone else.

I Like Portishead but RW shouldn't put them just before Coldplay on the Main Stage. Elbow would have been much better(my opinion).

But all this left behind it was still a nice performance, like always.

Chris Martin also tried to say some words in Dutch like: goedendag (good day)

Chris Martin also made a joke that the next song ( UATW) is specially for all the Iron Maiden fans :p

During the performance of Portishead (they were on stage before Coldplay) some people already started to sing Viva La Vida.

I think that was kind of disrespectful. Those guys were really trying their best in front of an impatient crowd that was waiting for Coldplay. I felt a bit of compassion. The genre was way different and they shouldn't have been on the Main Stage IMO.

I think that was kind of disrespectful. Those guys were really trying their best in front of an impatient crowd that was waiting for Coldplay. I felt a bit of compassion. The genre was way different and they shouldn't have been on the Main Stage IMO.

Yes, it was kind of disrespectful but like you said, they shouldn't have been on the Main Stage just before Coldplay. I like Portishead but I'd rather see Elbow before Coldplay ;)

Nice review Tryptophan, thanks! You said a few things about which I felt the exact same way.

So last night I saw my favourite band for the second time in three weeks (I know, lucky...) and it was way better than the one at Pinkpop. It was now dark when they started, so the light show was amazing. And the crowd was a thousand times better, just awesome. Everyone was so loud and even the new songs were sang along word for word.

I was in the right front section as well and it was completely packed. Or in Chris' words, we were fucking squashed. :lol:

The sound was much better as well. Great that they're playing so many from Parachutes. I do miss Cemeteries though, man I love that song.

Basically hey did a fantastic show, great singalongs, lots of dancing. Chris wasn't the only one sweating this time :D

But personally, just like Tryptophan, I wasn't overwhelmed like I have been in the past. I was surprised when The Scientist somehow didn't make me cry like it usually does. Don't know what happened there. Next time I'm not gonna watch any of their shows before I see them live. Or at least I'll try...

Still I loved Clocks, Hurts Like Heaven, Yellow, Shiver, Violet Hill, Politik (including minor funny screw up)... oh fuck I loved everything. But next time I will love everything more.

Nice that they bowed and took their (huge) applause at the end, did they start doing that at Glasto? Because at Pinkpop it was ETIAW drum solo and boom, gone. Felt a a little shitty.

Elbow kind of blew me away a few hours before. Guy Garvey is so charming and the reverse Mexican wave made me tear up.

I also quite enjoyed PJ Harvey, especially the second half of her set. We saw Chris watching her from the left side of the stage. Touching to see huge artists showing their respect to each other.

And poor Portishead, I felt really bad for them. It was just so crowded and we weren't allowed to sit down, so it was just another band we had to get through before finally seeing Coldplay. I'm sure I would have loved them at any other moment.

That's it I guess. Looking forward to the other reviews!

Oh and Tryptophan, the Dutch media also tore Coldplay apart after Pinkpop. Sucks. But at least us fans have each other. So in the end there's only love. :kiss:

Only just woke up a few hours ago. I freaking loved it. I was front row, left side of the stage all the way to the right, so almost the center of the stage. Waited all day and it was totally worth the wait if you ask me. they blew everyone away from beginning to finish. They were having loads of fun and the crowd loved it as well. Festival shows are soooo much different from their regular arena shows. More energetic, less routine. It was a lot of fun.

Only just woke up a few hours ago. I freaking loved it. I was front row, left side of the stage all the way to the right, so almost the center of the stage. Waited all day and it was totally worth the wait if you ask me. they blew everyone away from beginning to finish. They were having loads of fun and the crowd loved it as well. Festival shows are soooo much different from their regular arena shows. More energetic, less routine. It was a lot of fun.

Fantastic!:P

los borraron!!

:D :D :D !

happy for you :dance:

Back from Werchter, a long trip and a long wait all day long since 12 but it was really worth it! Thanks everyone for your reports, I also saw Chris watch PJ Harvey even if I was not sure it was him since he had his hair covered...I agree with you guys about PJ Harvey and Portishead, I respect these artists a lot, their music is really good but not for that kind of festival, I must admit that I got bored and that Bruno Mars was much more entertaining! :shocked2: :D

It was a really great Coldplay show: Chris's voice and energy were top, the lights effect magical, I was close to the stage (first left square against the central fence , god bless this fence :laugh3: ) so I didn't see the fireworks, did you? There were no technical problems like tonight in Arras on In My Place, it was really perfect!

My best moments: Shiver, first time I saw it live, God Put A Smile....'s new version is just amazing and gave me goosebumps, Charlie Brown is definitely my favourite new song, Fix You is still an emotional time for me,during the song I thought Chris was about to jump in the middle like he did two years ago but he stopped when he saw that this time there were a lot of people (VIPs?) in that part, shame...

Oh and I had a big laugh as the security guy standing in front of me was struggling not to fall asleep and Chris was singing the Fix You part "when you feel so tired but you can't sleep" :laugh3:, so funny!

Can't wait to see them again!

Just watched on YouTube. Another incredible show. :D :dance:

links?

Oh and Tryptophan, the Dutch media also tore Coldplay apart after Pinkpop. Sucks. But at least us fans have each other. So in the end there's only love. :kiss:

Nice review, thanks! I agree with almost everything you said.

About the media, those people are exactly the same as the ones who praised Coldplay as the best band ever during the AROBTTH era. That's just their job.

Well that's also one of the reasons I joined this forum, to talk to people who love Coldplay and actually know more about them than just 3 anthem songs.

I uploaded 2 vids already :nice:

take a look if you want ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRtWcE21FU]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Shiver - Rock Werchter 2011 (02/07/11)‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfZyMQQoORI]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Lost - Rock Werchter 2011 (02/07/11)‬‏[/ame]

Wat stond erop?

can I have your shirt please? int fluo groen en da vraagteken in fluo oranje :)

da was da karton met die plakkertjes op de achterkant :P

Chris zag het tijdens ETIAW (of was het na het liedje? :thinking:)

en hij keek zo van: wtf, zijt gij serieus?

i think i've been at the best spot in the whole crowd :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUW0JI-nIk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - ‪coldplay hurts like heaven‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBVFoSuol0]YouTube - ‪Viva La Vida - Coldplay - Rock Werchter 2011‬‏[/ame]

and this one definitely is the most authentic :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDU554_zNs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - ‪God Put A Smile Upon My Face - Rock Werchter 2011 - Coldplay‬‏[/ame]

elbow wasn't bad either! :laugh3:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfVAmGqFY0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - ‪Elbow - Rock Werchter 2011(1/3)‬‏[/ame]