✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2-July-2011] Coldplay @ Rock Werchter festival, Belgium

Carlaatje

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

Epic quality videos! Thanks for posting Juanif94! The Belgian crowd sounded immense

Back from two days Werchter, and I oddly feel like I have to give a review of the Coldplay show that nobody will read.

It was great, but since it's Coldplay and we're used to nothing less, I'm going to be a bit severe. :p

This was the second time I saw the band, also the second gig at Werchter after the one in 2009. Coldplay only compares to Coldplay, so a comparison between the two concerts is inevitably made.

I can't help thinking that they were better this time. Why would this be the case? Because Chris finally had a haircut? Possibly. Because I can't remember too much about their previous Werchter gig and because I was even closer to the stage this time (10th row)? Probably. Because they played their songs in a more concentrated, mature way? Definitely.

Two years ago they gave us an incredible show with Chris jumping around and exploring every corner of the Werchter meadow, a show including acoustic intermezzos and fuckloads of confetti. Unfortunately this meant that the quality of the music, although I didn't realise at the moment, was lacking. This seemed to be caused by Chris' carelessness, I may be wrong.

Now they're back the way I like it most, playing the songs like they mean it. Confettis, light effects and lasers added a bunch (way too much actually) to the show, but everything was centered around the music. Politik is a good example to show the difference between this Coldplay and the one of the Viva era: not as good as in the Live 2003 DVD, but at least capable of inducing goosebumps.

I wish I hadn't watched the previous shows of this tour too much. I knew what was coming and it all felt oddly familiar and they didn't blow me away like they did in 2009 when I wasn't too prepared. Nevertheless, it was evidently (one of) the absolute top gig(s) of the festival and a perfect festival closer for me.

The greatest moment for me was Shiver. Performed brilliantly, and I sang along from beginning to end. I hope my weak singing skills didn't disturb anyone. :p

The Scientist was an amazing singalong experience, but it wasn't nearly as unforgettable as it was two years ago, when it was in the encore. Although one of the best songs in the set, I also expected more from Everything's Not Lost, possibly because the rest of the crowd wasn't too much into it, compared to Viva La Vida for example.

The latter, along with Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, seemed an unavoidable cause for a cheap festival party, although the show would've been great even without those.

Out of all the new songs, even though I like Major Minus most, this time I was more impressed by Charlie Brown. It was loud, it was awesome, it rocked.

My opinion: *** (out of 5, Coldplay scale, the standards are ridiculously high. Five stars would be Live 2003 and/or Glastonbury 2002)

Meanwhile, the band and their show is being torn apart by Belgian media. I can even understand their point at some level: maybe too arty-farty, and 1,2 million euros is a price so high that it makes their fair trade activism almost seem like Bono-esque hypocracy. That being said, I still love most of what Coldplay do and the media are there to break down everything that is too popular anyway.