✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2-July-2011] Coldplay @ Rock Werchter festival, Belgium

Carlaatje

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's not the best :p :/

I really liked the cigarettes one , "humo" "brengt u en anderen rondom u naar rock Werchter " :lol:

you're new to the board I see ?

why did you join if I might ask?

'cause of Coldplay obvioulsy , but why now suddenly ? :nice:

And you like Arctic Monkeys ? I'm a huge fan of them ...

join the Arctic Monkeys thread here on coldplaying ! :awesome:

Yeah, it's not the best :p :/

I really liked the cigarettes one , "humo" "brengt u en anderen rondom u naar rock Werchter " :lol:

you're new to the board I see ?

why did you join if I might ask?

'cause of Coldplay obvioulsy , but why now suddenly ? :nice:

And you like Arctic Monkeys ? I'm a huge fan of them ...

join the Arctic Monkeys thread here on coldplaying ! :awesome:

Because I wanted to know more about the new songs - apart from ETIAW - and because I wanted to discuss (burn to the ground :p) ETIAW and see other fans' opinions.

And yeah, Arctic Monkeys are the shit. :cool:

Hi everyone, hope it's not too off topic but this will be my first festival and I'm pretty clueless so I was hoping for some advice. For instance, do you really need to get the food tickets in advance or can you get them there? Do they let you bring food/water in? Are there wellies available on the site or do you have to bring your own? (I don't have any!) I'm a little nervous, can you tell? ;) Ooh- one more: do you know if the shuttle to Leuven runs all night? Thanks if you've read this far :D

Hi everyone, hope it's not too off topic but this will be my first festival and I'm pretty clueless so I was hoping for some advice. For instance, do you really need to get the food tickets in advance or can you get them there? Do they let you bring food/water in? Are there wellies available on the site or do you have to bring your own? (I don't have any!) I'm a little nervous, can you tell? ;) Ooh- one more: do you know if the shuttle to Leuven runs all night? Thanks if you've read this far :D

Ok, I already have answers for two of my questions, so for anyone who's interested: yes, you can get the food vouchers in the festival site too (in hindsight, duh!) but they cost more; and no, the bus does not run all night, but only till 2-3 am, depending on the day.

But that raises another question - if the bus takes us back to Leuven train station around 2:00 am, is there anywhere there to park the car in advance, or will it most likely be full? The thought of wandering around the station area in the middle of the night looking for the car creeps me out...

You don't really need to buy your foodtickets in advance, but they're cheaper if you buy them before the festival.

Be warned if you want to exchange the food ticket vouchers on Thursday though! The scanners they use for the foodtickets are the same ones they use to scan the tickets. Two years ago, there was a huge chaos at the entrance, so they had to use all available scanners. As a result, there was only one counter left (far away from the mainstage) where you could exchange your vouchers. You had to queue for at least an hour to exchange your voucher. Last year, I don't think there were any problems. And if you only go on Saturday, there won't be a queue.

In all the years I've been going, I never had any problems with bringing food in. And for girls, security is even less strict I think.

Drinks can cause more problems, but they never took anything away from me either. I've never seen them take orange juice cartons, so that's what I always bring along. A camelbag is also an option. You can always fill that up on-site.

They also distribute water at the front of the mainstage, but if it's cold or raining, they may not do this. But usually they do.

I have never seen anyone sell wellies as far as I can imagine. There may be a stall outside that sells it, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anyway, even if you find someone who sells it, I'm sure it's much cheaper if you buy them now in a regular store. The same goes for ponchos! Always much more expensive if you buy them at a festival.

I think the last shuttle bus runs one hour after the last gig, but I've never taken one myself. Keep in mind that it can take a while to leave the festival site after the last gig. It's always very crowded.

Another random tip. If you want to be at the front of the mainstage, go queue at the right side of the stage. It's always less crowded. If you want to be at the front of the Marquee stage, go for the left side.

If you want to know more, just ask.:)

Ok, I already have answers for two of my questions, so for anyone who's interested: yes, you can get the food vouchers in the festival site too (in hindsight, duh!) but they cost more; and no, the bus does not run all night, but only till 2-3 am, depending on the day.

But that raises another question - if the bus takes us back to Leuven train station around 2:00 am, is there anywhere there to park the car in advance, or will it most likely be full? The thought of wandering around the station area in the middle of the night looking for the car creeps me out...

Are you going for four days or just Saturday? If you only go on Saturday, I would just park my car at a parking site in Werchter and would not take the train or bus. There are absolutely no traffic jams to get there on Saturday, and there's enough parking space available. You'll maybe have to walk a bit far (or you can bring along a bike), but I still think it's less hassle than parking your car in Leuven.

I'm sure you'll still find a parking spot in Leuven though. But I do know someone who's car got stolen there during the festival. Of course, that can happen anywhere.

Thanks for all your help, mathieu_c, you're the best! :) We're going for the whole weekend, I guess we'll see how it goes with the car on the first day and take it from there.

About the wellies, I thought of bringing some but where would I carry them? (I heard there are lockers, is that true?) Does it usually rain?

Thanks for all your help, mathieu_c, you're the best! :) We're going for the whole weekend, I guess we'll see how it goes with the car on the first day and take it from there.

About the wellies, I thought of bringing some but where would I carry them? (I heard there are lockers, is that true?) Does it usually rain?

Will you be staying at the camp site or do you plan on going to Leuven every night?

It was hell trying to get there on Thursday last year by car. It took some people 5 hours to get there. In previous years, it was also pretty bad, but for some reason it was even worse last year. I don't know why. The other days, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you stay on the camp site, you can leave your wellies in your tent I guess? There are lockers on the festival site, so you can leave your wellies there if you want.

The weather is very unpredictable. I've had heatwaves, cold weather, light rain and torrential rain (legendary Kraftwerk gig in 2005 that ended with a huuuuge thunderstorm - at first I thought the lightning were special effects). And quite often, you get all kinds of weather during those four days. I do have to say that the rain has never ruined my experience. It's rare to have 4 consecutive days without rain here in Belgium, but it never rains 24/7. :P

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. :P

By the way, I only wore my wellies one or two days at Rock Werchter. The last couple of years, I can't remember a lot of mud. Even after the rain. Some good (but not new obviously) shoes should do.

We also don't have that wellies tradition they have in the UK. :-)

We'll be staying in Brussels (woke up too late to find anything in Leuven), so we're going to have to get back every night.

5 hours?! :stunned: Also, :D on the lightning effects...

I only now noticed you're Belgian yourself, so could I ask you one more thing? I'm trying to understand the bus instructions here

http://www.delijn.be/over/evenementen/Vlot_van_en_naar_de_festivalweide_van_Werchter.htm#1

but Google translate only helps a little, could you please explain which line I'm supposed to take and from where (is it right at the station?)

We'll be staying in Brussels (woke up too late to find anything in Leuven), so we're going to have to get back every night.

5 hours?! :stunned: Also, :D on the lightning effects...

I only now noticed you're Belgian yourself, so could I ask you one more thing? I'm trying to understand the bus instructions here

http://www.delijn.be/over/evenementen/Vlot_van_en_naar_de_festivalweide_van_Werchter.htm#1

but Google translate only helps a little, could you please explain which line I'm supposed to take and from where (is it right at the station?)

You should take line B at the train station in Leuven. It's right at the station. Line A will drop you off further from the entrance, so it's best to take line B.

At night, you just take the same bus back to the station.

Personally, I would take the bus the first day (avoid traffic) and then go by car the rest of the days. I think that would be the fastest option.

It will be a bit tiring getting to Brussels every night, but on the other hand, you'll also sleep a lot better than you would at the camping site. So I guess that makes it even. :D

That Kraftwerk gig was so cool. I was standing on an elevated stage outside the Marquee tent (there was no room left inside of the tent), and I was looking in awe at those special lightning effects. It really created a special atmosphere (especially during the song Radioactivity). And the moment they ended their set, all hell broke loose and I realised those weren't part of the show. Five minutes later, everyone was covered knee deep in mud. It was completely dark, everyone screaming. Ah, sweet memories... :P

^also going 4 days eh ?

Me too ;)

I'm staying in Leuven , I hope the shuttle bus keeps driving long enough :uhoh:

@ Mathieu : What ? no problem of bringing food in? :stunned:

I went to 4 festivals last summer , and it wasn't always allowed..

But this is great ! :awesome:

We'll take our dinner with us every day :p

sandwiches :awesome:

ROCK WERCHTER ALMOST SOLD OUT! LAST COMBI AND SUNDAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

The day tickets for Friday and Saturday have already sold out. As have the day tickets for Thursday. Still for sale, however, we have a good 750 combi tickets (just released through unpaid reservations) and 500 day tickets for Sunday. Make your mind up and seize the day! Order via Proximus Go For Music: 0900 2 60 60* – http://www.proximusgoformusic.be . (*0.5 euro/min, price including VAT).

source: http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/news/article.aspx?aid=9a47770b-f9fb-45e6-9728-4d8fe4578eee

^also going 4 days eh ?

Me too ;)

I'm staying in Leuven , I hope the shuttle bus keeps driving long enough :uhoh:

@ Mathieu : What ? no problem of bringing food in? :stunned:

I went to 4 festivals last summer , and it wasn't always allowed..

But this is great ! :awesome:

We'll take our dinner with us every day :p

sandwiches :awesome:

It's not allowed at Werchter either. Just hide it in your bag. They usually don't do thorough checks. Especially if you're a girl.

I will stay in Brussels too and it seems there won't be any train after the gig so we'll have to wait until 5 in the morning...

Just bought myself a cheap combi ticket on ebay! :laugh3: will be staying there from friday night until sunday morning! so excited about my first Rock Werchter!

does anyone know when the doors of the festival site are opening in the morning? just to make sure that noone does the front row before us! :D

Just bought myself a cheap combi ticket on ebay! :laugh3: will be staying there from friday night until sunday morning! so excited about my first Rock Werchter!

does anyone know when the doors of the festival site are opening in the morning? just to make sure that noone does the front row before us! :D

YAY for you :D Exciting isn't it! Just a few days to go!

I think the doors will open around noon (12 pm), this was the case 2 years ago.

I tried to find confirmation of the actuel time, but can't find anything online.

If someone is sure of the exact time, please confirm :)