[30-June-2011] Coldplay @ Open'er Festival, Poland

AnnaElisabeth

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open'er

What a night, what a show!

Well it has been the 1st Coldplay show in Poland, but it wasn't for me and my wife.

We have seen them at top of their game in Germany (Leipzig 2005 - my wife claims it has been the best show of her life and Berlin 2008) average show in Hamburg 2008 (crowd!) and lowest of lows - Barcelona 2009 with many technical issues, too long breaks between songs etc.... this was something completely different.

We wanted to be at the front, so we managed to get to the 5th-7th row, but during National set it became obvious the we won't last there... there was no point standing in the crowd where you couldn't even raise your hand to clap - so crowded it was!

We found a little more comfortable space just on the edge of 1st mojo ring, and though we couldn't see that clearly at last we had space to jump and joy.

The roar was amazing when the light went off, then it was ride! With the fireworks explosions we started what has be one of the best shows in Poland we witnessed (and I've seen a few bands).

They played a Glastonbury set, so most people were unfamiliar with new songs (but still Major Minus and Charlie recived a deserved applaud!). I guess Live is for living and Everything not lost were also the lower points in terms of crowd reception, they should have swapped it for Trouble, it would have worked better with Polish audience.

Still, I am surprised to how well people sang, and obviously Chris was too, asking why the manager kept them from such a great crowd for so long. Viva La Vida was an absolute highlight, the whole field was jumping up and down and singing wooo ooo ooo! Scientist singalong also was amazing. I could write and write.

Clocks and Fix You with fans lighting everything possible and singing were amazing too.

I must say that Every-tear drop wasn't the best closer... Chris was barely heard where we stood and something was missing... we you can't have everything, apart from that....

It was a hell of a show, though I still can't figure out why they play so short sets (1h25m), I hope they gonna come back to Poland on their proper tour.

I must say that from the great arena's band they finally turned to stadium pleasers... since after Barcelona I had a great reservation about them handling such a great crowds... at least Gdynia proved me wrong.

Well done boys, amazing job - festival people :)

Today it's raining as hell, thank god it didn't yesterday.

I will post couple of movies and pictures soon.

You or your wife were at Leipzig 2005? This is the place I live! It was an amazing gig and I was really suprised as I saw Chris Martin in the city of Leipzig with some shopping bags. But I was too young and to feared to talk to him. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...