✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Christmas Lights sold on Ebay for $200

AnnaElisabeth

Okay, so I was just in a bidding match with someone on Ebay for a copy of Christmas Lights.

I kind of think it was a fake but I thought I should go for it anyway since Ebay/Paypal has a reasonable buyer protection.

Anyway, I was too slow and didn't win. Now I kind of hope it was a fake :P. There were a lot of last minute bids.

Here's the auction... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160516304822&si=S%252F6vLy%252BqJG9mhmRSDTP09vUPdAs%253D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1156

As I said, pretty sure it is fake but the seller has 100+ positive reviews.

(Wow, adrenaline rush over, can't believe I almost spent $200 on this!)

:escaping:

(Oh, and sorry for yet another Christmas Lights thread :P)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 100 first ones were hand painted and signed. Apparently they also feature real Christmas lights. Don't think they would make more of those. :shrug:

I think you're right Anna! I also think that if that item was real the seller would have put a LOT more description and photos on the listing.

Here is what i know.

there are obviously 100 hand painted, 5 of those will be sent out with competition, but i'm pretty sure there are promos howewer, so let's say another 100. 200 totally, the first signed, the second not signed, but only for radios.

About who said the safety is less rare. This can be not true. Safety is 12 years old, they made 500 copies but 50% of these at least might be destroyed or lost. I suppose that there are around 150/200 copies of safety around the world still alive and mint, or at least playable.

And, nevertheless, i can assure there are rarer coldplay items around the world :) rarer than this chrismas lights and than safety.

Obviously this is one of the rarest coldplay items, no doubts anyway..

But we have to wait more. Hoping to have detailed information..

about the authenticity of this one, i have doubts but not so much. anyway only the buyer can figure this out..that pic is too bad

about the description, i'm sure it is so poor only because it was written through an iPhone..

Here is what i know.

there are obviously 100 hand painted, 5 of those will be sent out with competition, but i'm pretty sure there are promos howewer, so let's say another 100. 200 totally, the first signed, the second not signed, but only for radios.

About who said the safety is less rare. This can be not true. Safety is 12 years old, they made 500 copies but 50% of these at least might be destroyed or lost. I suppose that there are around 150/200 copies of safety around the world still alive and mint, or at least playable.

And, nevertheless, i can assure there are rarer coldplay items around the world :) rarer than this chrismas lights and than safety.

Obviously this is one of the rarest coldplay items, no doubts anyway..

But we have to wait more. Hoping to have detailed information..

about the authenticity of this one, i have doubts but not so much. anyway only the buyer can figure this out..that pic is too bad

about the description, i'm sure it is so poor only because it was written through an iPhone..

I was just joking ;) :P

Yeah, I thought the same thing!

Oracle answered a question: no physical copies of Christmas Lights!

:thinking:

I found one: http://cgi.ebay.com/COLDPLAY-special-promo-cd-CHRISTMAS-LIGHTS-collectors-/220709540666?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item336350533a

It seems to be fake!

OK GUYS what it looks like quite clearly to me is that there are two physical issues here, as people have already suggested:

1) The very special 100 hand-painted copies in origami sleeves, made by people close to the band, and on their behalf for the most important people they need to get a copy to. All signed (so we think, because that's what was said on the radio) and with actual Christmas Lights on (?). Wow, what an incredible thing to have!!

2) Simple promo copies sent to radio stations.

The ones on ebay seem to be number 2), don't they? If so please don't pay hundreds for those! Because there may be many many hundreds in existence being passed around (I guess), and the fact people are selling them without a second thought on ebay really makes me think they're not worth much. Of course, any copy of number 1) would be incredibly rare and precious I would think, at least it would be to me :dreamy:

From what we've been told, the competition involves number 1), doesn't it?

Tbh, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth that number 2) seems to exist, when we're all desperate to have a physical copy, but I guess that's another subject...

Kind of agree. Assuming the eBay copy is valid, the hand painted special copy is still (or will be) far more rare and collectable. But, I also don't believe the number of pressed copies for radio will even match that of a typical radio promo single. This is a holiday track, only officially sold digitally; it's not promotionally distributed in support of a record or tour, etc... Unsure of the price tag, bur doubt there will be thousands of these, like a Speed of Sound or Clocks promo. Just my thoughts.

The amount might be something like the Strawberry Swing promo... Not many of those in print but still not super rare. :shrug:

(Oh, and can I say I'm super glad I lost the bidding now? I just hope the person who won actually pays because otherwise I'll be the winning bidder... :P)

EDIT:

Completely missed your post, Pete :P

OK GUYS what it looks like quite clearly to me is that there are two physical issues here, as people have already suggested:

1) The very special 100 hand-painted copies in origami sleeves, made by people close to the band, and on their behalf for the most important people they need to get a copy to. All signed (so we think, because that's what was said on the radio) and with actual Christmas Lights on (?). Wow, what an incredible thing to have!!

2) Simple promo copies sent to radio stations.

The ones on ebay seem to be number 2), don't they? If so please don't pay hundreds for those! Because there may be many many hundreds in existence being passed around (I guess), and the fact people are selling them without a second thought on ebay really makes me think they're not worth much. Of course, any copy of number 1) would be incredibly rare and precious I would think, at least it would be to me :dreamy:

From what we've been told, the competition involves number 1), doesn't it?

Tbh, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth that number 2) seems to exist, when we're all desperate to have a physical copy, but I guess that's another subject...

I think you're completely right. There's obviously more than the special edition ones. And it is kind of sad that there actually are promo copies given out to radio shows etc. I'd so love a copy. (Especially a special edition one, of course :P) The competition is definitely for the special ones.