✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-July-2011] Coldplay @ Main Square Festival, Arras, France

coldplay12

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now one knows why he hates it so much. But he really does !

If he hates Shiver then i'm sorry but me AND Shiver don't like him anymore, it was a tough decision but we think we made the right choice, it had to be done :cry:

I can't really remember how we learned about Guy's dislike of Shiver. Was it from an interview?

I think the Oracle said it.

Edit : It's not the one I was thinking about but here you go :

March 18, 2010 - submitted by Michael, United States of America

Q. I just wanted to know if there were any plans for Coldplay to start playing Shiver at stadium shows ever again? I hear that there are always signs for that song and that is probably their best song in all their catalogue ever of all time if you catch my drift...they are some of the best musicians I bet they could pull it off!! Thanks! Hope ur days are filled with much splish splashing cuz I know mine are.

The Oracle replies:

Didn't you hear? Shiver was played every night of the Latin American tour with the exception of the first show in Argentina.

They performed it in C Stage as part of the acoustic set. If Guy gets his way they won't be playing it again as he didn't like doing it all that much!

Here's my review of the Coldplay concert at Mainsquare Festival - ARRAS FRANCE.

It was an unusual Coldplay performance. Unusual because it included lots of epic song versions and on the other hand lots of musical and technical errs. They began with "Hurts Like Heaven", which they performed it wonderfully, I think it was the best version so far! Then they got to Yellow, which was a great version and gave a sign that the audience was alive... until the Tech-Errs ghost appeared... The beggining of "In My Place" began with Will playing the drums looking backwards... he was talking to some roadie, as if something was wrong, the song went on until the moment the drums were like muted and you could hear only the backing synthetiser and Jonny's guitar. Then you could hear them stopping playing and the Booes and claps from the frenchies! Chris laughing and asking What happened!? maybe Will's earphone communication was unsync with the song? They managed to rock on, that's Coldplay, a band that performs LIVE, and thats a festival, with technical difficulties. So they started the song again having Will and Jonny unsync with the chorus of the song... which ended up in a new version of "In My Place" lol. It was a relief when you could hear Chris saying " we made it to the end of the song!". They knew how to balance the BIG mistake... an epic version of Major Minues was performed with no mistakes but with a quiet audience. The concert also included the best versions so far of "Charlie Brown" and "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", where you could hear a more mature and rehearsed live version. They performed "Cemeteries Of London" instead of "Shiver", and Chris got lost with the lyrics. It reminded me of the "Violet Hill" performance at Glastonbury loL!. There was no :o:o:o:o from the audience during "Viva La Vida" and the "Encore" and another mistake in the beggining of Clocks.

I must add for all the Fix You lovers and pianists out there that Chris changed some chords during the song which really adds to the song feeling!.

The concert included lots of mistakes, lots of wrong lyrics, a muted crowd that did not even sing during Viva La Vida, a nervous Chris during Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, lots of technical failures from the launch of the fireworks (during Fix You) to the wires and cables that connect instruments (during In My Place), no Princess Of China, no Moving To Mars, just a slightly change in the setlist with the return of Cemeteries Of London replacing Shiver. It was a surprising concert still. Full of new sounds. A Concert that demostrates that Coldplay are professionals, synchronised between them and that laugh and rocks on after a mistake, cause they know they won't make it never again! For many of us, Coldplay still ROCKED the Main Square :D

Chris and the band loves the Franch Audience and they are very happy every time they play down here.... and we feel it when they are on stage

yellow had no singalong or back singin of the crowd

scientist the same, only at the end sing.

ENL few

VLV was shit,nothing from the crowd

ETIAW and Fix you ,they just moved a bit.

In my place yeahh was awfull too

Its what I saw/Heard

the crowd moved nothing :lol:

my opinion

I can't really remember how we learned about Guy's dislike of Shiver. Was it from an interview?

I asked him to play it in exeter. He didn't want. Then I asked chris why they didn't play SHIVER and he said it was guy's fault.

Than again, in Liverpool and Newcastle i asked that to Will and he said he would have played it but guy wouldn't. Finally Phil confirmed this to me.

No way guys. But I really hope he will change his incredibly bad idea and that they will put shiver on all the setlists of the future. Imo shiver is the best song ever written by coldplay. It's such a waste of perfection not to play it..

yellow had no singalong or back singin of the crowd

scientist the same, only at the end sing.

ENL few

VLV was shit,nothing from the crowd

ETIAW and Fix you ,they just moved a bit.

In my place yeahh was awfull too

Its what I saw/Heard

the crowd moved nothing :lol:

my opinion

There was no microphone in front of the crowd, so we can not necessarily hear the singing of the crowd

Haha you're full of hope !

I can't find it anymore but I read somewhere that he just hates the song itself

Why thank you, i like to think of myself as an optimist :D

If Guy does hate Shiver i'd be tempted to make a banner for next week and write something on it like 'Shiver hates you too Guy!' see if i get a response from him. haha

I asked him to play it in exeter. He didn't want. Then I asked chris why they didn't play SHIVER and he said it was guy's fault.

Than again, in Liverpool and Newcastle i asked that to Will and he said he would have played it but guy wouldn't. Finally Phil confirmed this to me.

No way guys. But I really hope he will change his incredibly bad idea and that they will put shiver on all the setlists of the future. Imo shiver is the best song ever written by coldplay. It's such a waste of perfection not to play it..

Thanks! Now I remember, because I could have sworn that it was Chris (and other Coldplay members, like you've said) who mentioned it.

I hope they start playing it on every setlist too. It's such a wonderful song.

I really think that the group like play for the crowd tonight, it's been almost 2 years that Coldplay did not go through France, then in my opinion it was a great concert, despite the technical problems, and the French public always true to itself, the return of cemeteries of london really made me happy because it's a great song in live and the rest of the songs nothing to say, it was just magical to see chris so happy, and we felt in his voice and the live.

and the encore with fix you always moving, and ETIAWF it has transformed the citadelle into a huge disco

:\ It's such a shame not to play it... He has to give up, sooner or later :snobby: