✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Parlophone's A&R for Coldplay: LP5 expected "towards the autumn"

busybeeburns

MilesLeonard_400.jpg

Interview with MILES LEONARD, president of Parlophone (EMI), A&R for Tinie Tempah, Gorillaz, Coldplay, Eliza Doolittle

EMI’s future may look ever bleaker following the news that Citigroup have wrestled control of the troubled music giant from private equity owner Guy Hands in anticipation of a future sale, but the label’s beacon of good tidings, subsidiary Parlophone Records, remains as strong as ever. Key to its ongoing triumph in the pop sphere - introducing Coldplay (UK & USA No.1) and Gorillaz (UK No.1, USA Top 3) to the global masses and more recently ushering in the breakthrough success of Tinie Tempah (UK No.1) and Eliza Doolittle (UK Top 3) - is president Miles Leonard.

In this exclusive interview Leonard talks to HitQuarters about being bowled over by Tinie Tempah’s home-grown vision and industry, how Coldplay and Gorillaz overcame regional constraints to crack the global market, and why recent signings Morning Parade and Chiddy Bang are destined to continue Parlophone’s remarkable run of success...

Read the full interview at http://www.hitquarters.com/index.php3?page=intrview/opar/intrview_MLeonardInt.html

Coldplay excerpts are below...

Who have you been in the studio with recently?

Tinie [Tempah]. I’ve spent time in the studio with Gorillaz, Kylie [Minogue] on her album, Eliza [Doolittle], and at the moment we also have Coldplay working hard in the studio on their next record.

Are you involved in the creation of Coldplay’s upcoming album?

The band create the album, not the A&R man.

What is your involvement with the band at this point?

At this time it’s really working closely with the management to make sure we start setting up the global campaign for this album. The band are at a stage now where they don’t need real hands on A&R. The skill of any A&R man is really knowing when to be in the studio and when not. Right now they’re in their recording stage and know what record they want to make and are very busy in the studio making that. Down the line, once we start forming the album or looking at mixes and finalising the record, that’s when the A&R attention to detail is really necessary.

When can we expect it?

Towards the autumn of this year.

You’re well known for guiding Coldplay to success not only in the UK but internationally. What was key to breaking them globally?

We all ask, ‘What is that bit of magic that sets you apart from just being a great UK or European rock act to a global one?’ Those things are sometimes very hard to define. They have a sound and lyrics that touch people and they also worked very, very hard to go out and support their music in America. But if you haven’t got the music that eventually connects with that audience it doesn’t matter how many times you tour America. So, the two are very important but the music always has to come first. Chris [Martin] is also a very charismatic and engaging front man, and they never felt like a parochial UK artist; some bands are very proud to be British, but sometimes come across as being very ‘British’. Coldplay never aspire to that; on one hand they sound British but on the other they sound like a huge global artist. What was the magic of U2 that made people connect with them?

Read more: http://www.hitquarters.com/index.php3?page=intrview/opar/intrview_MLeonardInt.html#ixzz1EL8L4D5K

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482

So what happened to 'recording sessions for Viva went so well that the next album would be out sooner than later'? This will be their longest hiatus yet!

I'm going to kind of diss Radiohead here but their newest album felt rushed and I don't think it was the best it could've been. We wouldn't want that to happen to Coldplay so it's good to take their time. I'm sure we will get something new this spring leading up to the summer of festivals but I think this will be their best album so we should let them take their time! :thumbsup:

Pfff, what does he know! I'm still thinking they will release the album just before the festivals or after a couple of festivals (May/June) *wishful thinking*

Yeap, I agree...they must show us some new stuff during the festival season. Hope that man doesn't know what he's talking about :P

but we might get a good album if they take their time :wacko:

I agree with this. After being extremely underwealmed by Christmas Lights I'm very apprehensive about what the next album will bring. So I'd rather they take their time.

You can't rush good art.

Oh autumn :thinking:

It's true having the new album before the festival could be really nice but... as a few of people have said before.... time makes good album :)

take your time Coldplay, we'll be there anyway :clap:

(I'll always be waiting for youuuu!" :wacky:

I'm more patient for this album than I normally would be, given that 2011 is chock-full of new releases I'm eagerly awaiting, but I really, really thought it would be out right before the festivals.

I hope their plan is to play some new material. I feel like they could chicken out and just play all the oldies, which while highly enjoyable, would let a lot of people down. I'm only about 60% convinced they're going to play new stuff this summer, or more than just one or two new things mixed in with their usual tour stuff.