✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Parachutes - Coldplay's Least Impressive Album?

Guest howyousawtheworld

No offense, but I don't like these kind of threads. I don't like the fact that we have to argue about which album is better. Each album is different from the earlier one and that's how it's meant to be. That's how musicians grow. Maybe you don't like a particular sound because you want another AROBTTH but that's not going to happen. I think as long as Coldplay are proud of what they did on their newest album, the fans should be too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Expecting more from a band that can do way better is not expecting another AROBTTH. I don't think that liking everything they do is being a better fan, it's like when parents force you to get good grades because they know you are smart enough. Coldplay are getting bigger but not better and that's kinda frustating if you've seen them around for more than 2 or 3 years.

I'm sure the guys haven't done their best album yet.

"I think as long as Coldplay are proud of what they did on their newest album, the fans should be too."

No offense but that's being a blind fan. It's like you don't really have an opinion about their music. And that won't motivate them to get better because fans will like whatever they do even if it's shit.

Guest howyousawtheworld
No offense, but I don't like these kind of threads. I don't like the fact that we have to argue about which album is better. Each album is different from the earlier one and that's how it's meant to be. That's how musicians grow. Maybe you don't like a particular sound because you want another AROBTTH but that's not going to happen. I think as long as Coldplay are proud of what they did on their newest album, the fans should be too.

It's natural for fans of bands to debate which album/song is, in their own views, best. It's much more fun than talking about Gwyneth. :cool:

It's natural for fans of bands to debate which album/song is, in their own views, best. It's much more fun than talking about Gwyneth. :cool:

I know it's natural but I just wish it wasn't. With me being a musician, I don't like the fact that people judge your newer music based on your older. People change, you learn new things and you find new influences.

Well, I do agree with the Gwyneth part! :lol:

Well, I think they're getting bigger AND better, but what do you think would make them better?

Better lyrics, giving a chance to Guy, Will and Jonny to play more interesting parts and not giving the whole credits to Chris (because for non fans Coldplay is "Chris Martin and his band")

Not making songs just thinking about stadium gigs but thinking about the music itself, making an album and not just put radom songs without a theme on the album, etc. Also Chris should not force his voice that much because he has a good voice but sometimes he sings out of tune, etc.

ps: are you a musician and still think you should like everything coldplay is happy about? :facepalm:

Better lyrics, giving a chance to Guy, Will and Jonny to play more interesting parts and not giving the whole credits to Chris (because for non fans Coldplay is "Chris Martin and his band")

Not making songs just thinking about stadium gigs but thinking about the music itself, making an album and not just put radom songs without a theme on the album, etc. Also Chris should not force his voice that much because he has a good voice but sometimes he sings out of tune, etc.

ps: are you a musician and still think you should like everything coldplay is happy about? :facepalm:

I somewhat agree on the lyrics, but I feel like Viva was all about Guy, Will and Jonny.

I also don't think they made the songs FOR stadium gigs, I just think that's how they turned out.

In a way, yes. If Coldplay are proud of something they made, I'm proud too. It only makes me want to learn how to play it and come up with my own ideas.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Coldplay have gotten bigger and better I certainly feel so I'd agree with Technicolor Liver. Their last album was experimental and interesting and a further hike up from their base camp of Parachutes. Far from perfect but a step in the right direction.

i think they actually have been trying to focus more on not-Chris. unfortunately, though, the non-fans' "Chris Martin and his band" view probably won't change that much no matter what. :shrug:

when you say 'credit', what exactly do you mean? because all four of them get listed as the songwriters or whatever, right? :thinking:

i think threads like this are good (except for the few posts which are basically saying, "haha, yeah right, you're wrong/stupid for thinking that lololololololol"). i don't see it as arguing so much as discussing. i find it quite interesting.

but i do agree with your point about how each album should be different, or that it's not bad that each album has its own sound. i actually quite like that about Coldplay, that their albums don't sound alike, yet there's still something there that makes it Coldplay, you know?

as for the last statement, i think that fans should at least respect it, they don't necessarily have to be proud of it or even like it at all. as long as Coldplay are confident with what they've released (and as the wait for LP5 seems to be turning out, they would never release anything they're not completely satisfied with, at least at that moment) then fans should respect that and should respect the fact that it's their music to make.

but less fun than talking about Buckin :P

I don't think it's not impressive. It's simple but it has so much emotion put into it that you can almost feel it when listening to it. I still generally prefer AROBTTH over Parachutes but I think it's a lovely album. Moreover, I think it has more merit being their debut album.

I agree with what Brooke said about each album having its own sound, it feels like that to me and even though they're different and you can easily distinguish in which era a song was written, even b-sides, after a few seconds of listening to it, they all have this "Coldplay" sound. That's something that I like.

What I see about VLVODAAHF is that what the general audience perceives is not the whole album. I mean if you have to judge the album only by the singles, I'd say it's rather a sort of pop album, well not Violet Hill but consider VLV, LIJ and LITii. They are "radio friendly" songs which may appeal to younger audiences that mainly listen to mainstream pop music. However, there are other songs on that album that I can't, and will refuse :P, to call mainstream like Cemetries of London, 42 and DAAHF, which also happen to be my favourites.

Almost all we know about LP5 has come mainly from our speculation, so I wouldn't know what direction they are really taking. Maybe they have even changed directions a couple of times already. :shrug: I just hope they feel confortable with it and proud of it. they are already big and I know they have the potential to be better, I hope they can achieve better things with this album.

what a long post :lol:

Credit as musicians, it's like they are underestimated I think they could be better. For example Guy: no one cares about his music, the bass is not something I'd say OMG that's awesome in most of the songs, the girls just like him because he's hot and that sucks (just see how many pages the pictures thread have and compare it to music related threads). He could be replaced by a random bassist and only cping people would notice it.

same with the others, you never see them in the best drummer, guitarist, bassist lists because they just play small parts and don't really show their talent that much. You just see coldplay members in the hottest frontman and that sort of lists and that says a lot about a band :(

Of course if you see your fans liking everything you do even if it's not that good you don't have a reason to change or improve your sound.

I don't know if me being a guy and there appearances don't matter to me, but I disagree with that! Will and Jonny pretty much are Viva. In almost every song, Jonny has a guitar solo or the melodies in the verses are incredible. Not only has Will become an even better, he's even become a percussionist and stepped into the realm of computer beats. And Guy also plays a little bit of a role on Viva as far as the new instruments he brought in.

All of that is why I think Viva is their best. It's because they became more united as a band.

They are goodlooking and that's fine but when that's almost all what you hear about something's wrong. I mean, Chris' pictures thread has like a million pages and the releases section is always dead :lol: The WoM section is way more active.

"Guy also plays a little bit of a role on Viva"

you considering good that he plays "a little bit" says a lot I think :|

Jonny is more noticeable but Will, playing a bit with a bell on viva isn't that much imo

Guy's basslines were best in Parachutes. They were simple and harmonic, and they added a lot of depth to the songs. Now they're barely noticeable throughout VLV. Jonny's guitar solos? There's like one guitar solo in VLV (Violet Hill) and it's mediocre at best. Most of Jonny's best guitar work was in AROBTTH and X&Y, and even that wasn't incredible or anything.

I completely disagree that Parachutes is their least impressive album. It probably has the least songs I love, but as an album it does a lot more than most debuts.

There's a moment captured within Parachutes that real fans of the band I think will always be able to hold onto.

For me, Viva and AROBTTH are probably tied for best album. And I consider them to be leaps and bounds better than Parachutes and X & Y. That said, to call Parachutes unimpressive isn't something I could do. It's a much more subtle album. And it's surprisingly confident in it's style. It's an important piece of their musical evolution and I could never give it anything but praise.