✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Parachutes - Coldplay's Least Impressive Album?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

So after my thread on X&Y (which you can read here! http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75719&page=5 ) I thought it'd be good to create a thread on their debut album! An album which many of you favourite and believe is their best even. I think otherwise though. Don't get me wrong. Parachutes is a stunning and incredibly mature album for a debut album by such a young band at the time. Without doubt the most mature I have listened to and easily one of the best debut albums of all time.

I find a majestic simplistic beauty in so many of the songs from Parachutes. Don't Panic, Trouble and Spies are three of the best written songs Coldplay have written in my opinion. In fact it's probably Coldplay's most consistent album as it is very tough to absolutely pinpoint which songs are outright the best. Chris Martin's voice is beautifully clear and icy and the falsetto is put to great use throughout the record unlike in X&Y, particularly Fix You. Jonny Buckland for me is the star of the album with his delicate chiming guitar's which has made it his signature sound. It is an album of supreme quiet confidence!

However I feel it doesn't come near to their best efforts of A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. I don't think it constitutes being called their best album because it doesn't quite reach the melodic highs of X&Y, the attention and strictness of AROBTTH or the innovation and wide spread experimentation of VLVODAAHF. It's a very samey album. Production is similar on almost all tracks where the pace of songs remain slow making it relatively unspectacular in my opinion. It's not the most variable of albums. All the songs are pretty slow paced so the album hardly breaks out into a sweat. I would happily put it as their least impressive album comfortably sitting in 4th place! It deserves all the praise it gets but it doesn't come anywhere near to my favourite records. It's still an album of great importance though, displaying unbelievable potential from a band that hasn't only got bigger but better at the same time and that's the most important thing about it.

It's an album I admire, but I don't love it.

What about you guys? For those who see it as their favourite or their best what are the reasons for thinking so at the expense of their following 3 albums?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VLVODAAHF and AROBBTH are my top two favorite albums, while Parachutes comes in third. Still, I adore Parachutes and its simplicity, compared to Coldplay's other albums. It's such a comforting album with heartfelt lyrics and gorgeous melodies.

I do see what you mean by it being their "least impressive album" though, in terms of production. I'd say it's a pretty solid debut. As evident from the albums that followed, the band were not afraid to slowly get out of their comfort zone and start experimenting.

Guest howyousawtheworld
VLVODAAHF and AROBBTH are my top two favorite albums, while Parachutes comes in third. Still, I adore Parachutes and its simplicity, compared to Coldplay's other albums. It's such a comforting album with heartfelt lyrics and gorgeous melodies.

I do see what you mean by it being their "least impressive album" though, in terms of production. I'd say it's a pretty solid debut. As evident from the albums that followed, the band were not afraid to slowly get out of their comfort zone and start experimenting.

It's certainly a very comforting album I would agree and the lyrics really are sung like Chris means it!

It's certainly a very comforting album I would agree and the lyrics really are sung like Chris means it!

Definitely. :nice:

As for why it's my third favorite album, I guess it's just because I like the other two albums I mentioned a lot more. :blank: Not a very good answer, I know.

With AROBBTH, I was happy they started writing more "rock-like" songs (e.g., GPASUYF), yet they still had the emotion and sincerity in their music. VLVODAAHF is a huge departure from Parachutes, but I just love how majestic and grand it sounds.

Guest howyousawtheworld
What are your favourite records?

Ooooh lots! X&Y, A Rush Of Blood To The Head, VLVODAAHF, The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby (U2), The La's (debut and only album!), Synchronicity (The Police), The Queen Is Dead (The Smiths), Abbey Road (The Beatles), The Suburbs (Arcade Fire), Hunting High and Low/Scoundrel Days (a-ha), Franz Ferdinand (debut), The Masterplan (Oasis), The Boy With No Name (Travis), Stars of CCTV (Hard-FI).... there's a few more!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Definitely. :nice:

As for why it's my third favorite album, I guess it's just because I like the other two albums I mentioned a lot more. :blank: Not a very good answer, I know.

With AROBBTH, I was happy they started writing more "rock-like" songs (e.g., GPASUYF), yet they still had the emotion and sincerity in their music. VLVODAAHF is a huge departure from Parachutes, but I just love how majestic and grand it sounds.

Yeah VLV is just a world away from Parachutes. It really makes Parachutes look almost plain and simple. What I'd love from Coldplay is another record like Parachutes in the future - acoustic based but with an English folky feel to their songs like Cemetries of London. A sort of Folk Festival album. That would be immense!

Ooooh lots! X&Y, A Rush Of Blood To The Head, VLVODAAHF, The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby (U2), The La's (debut and only album!), Synchronicity (The Police), The Queen Is Dead (The Smiths), Abbey Road (The Beatles), The Suburbs (Arcade Fire), Hunting High and Low/Scoundrel Days (a-ha), Franz Ferdinand (debut), The Masterplan (Oasis), The Boy With No Name (Travis), Stars of CCTV (Hard-FI).... there's a few more!

Ohh, wow lot's I see..Lot of good taste there too... Only one missing though.

I love parachutes..It is definitely one of my favourites

I think it's their best album, sometimes I change my opinion because AROBTTH is awesome too. But the good thing about Parachutes is that they just were themselves and created a simple and lovely album. By simple I just mean it's not like what they did with X&Y for example, where they tried too hard to make a successful album but they kinda failed.

Sparks is such a great love song too. Spies has such a great vibe, I don't know how to explain it. Parachues is so short but still so sweet.

Shiver is just one of their bests songs and Yellow pretty good too. Live is for living is one of my favorite coldplay songs. They created an album and not just a bunch of random songs (like X&Y).

Viva sucks compared to Parachutes seriously. They just tried too hard to make huge pop songs such as viva and lovers to get new young fans. Yes and Chinese Sleep Chant aren't good songs. LiT is not better than the EP version, etc.

But well, if you prefer the suburbs over funeral, the boy with no name over one of Travis'earlier albums, etc... of course we'll disagree :lol:

Parachutes is actually my least favorite... well, the other three are tied for my favorite, so i guess Parachutes comes in second to the rest. :P

i'm not entirely sure why, though; i do love all of the songs just as much as i love the rest of Coldplay's songs. i think you were right, howyousawtheworld (sorry, i can't remember your name :embarrassed:), in saying that it's a "samey album" -- a lot of the songs seem to have the same sort of tone... i don't know. it just lacks something for me, i guess.

but Parachutes has some spectacular lyrics, like Oh, and I don't have a soul to save//Yes, and I sin every single day from We Never Change (a rather underrated song, in my opinion). good stuff. :wacko:

Viva sucks compared to Parachutes seriously.

disagree...It's only a little bit worse.

Parachutes has some spectacular lyrics, like Oh, and I don't have a soul to save from We Never Change (a rather underrated song, in my opinion). good stuff.

agree!! some very beautiful, simple lyrics.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I think it's their best album, sometimes I change my opinion because AROBTTH is awesome too. But the good thing about Parachutes is that they just were themselves and created a simple and lovely album. By simple I just mean it's not like what they did with X&Y for example, where they tried too hard to make a successful album but they kinda failed.

Sparks is such a great love song too. Spies has such a great vibe, I don't know how to explain it. Parachues is so short but still so sweet.

Shiver is just one of their bests songs and Yellow pretty good too. Live is for living is one of my favorite coldplay songs. They created an album and not just a bunch of random songs (like X&Y).

Viva sucks compared to Parachutes seriously. They just tried too hard to make huge pop songs such as viva and lovers to get new young fans. Yes and Chinese Sleep Chant aren't good songs. LiT is not better than the EP version, etc.

But well, if you prefer the suburbs over funeral, the boy with no name over one of Travis'earlier albums, etc... of course we'll disagree :lol:

:D My favourites aren't necessarily the best albums but they're my favourite...although I think The Boy With No Name is their best...actually that's probably wrong. Ode to J Smith was probably their best but I'm still sticking with The Boy With No Name!

Ode to J Smith sucks, it's so boring :( The Man Who and The Invisible Band are way better

Spies was a special song................ Parachutes the album, was just a great raw type album for me, they were so young and full of the music you could just feel it oozing out with the emotions on every song.

exactly

id like to think that they only get better....cause i love all of the albums but i see it like parachutes started off the awesomeness, then it got better with AROBTTH, then they made some mistakes with X&Y (which they learned from though) (holy sheesh, fix you defines X&Y!) and then they got even better with VLVODAAHF, so it makes me happy to think that LP5 can only inevitably be the best so far

i do not think viva is a pop album....

LiT- instrumental (not pop)

cemeteries of london- (too darkish to be pop)

lost!- still good lyrics i think but alright u got me there especially with the JayZ version but thats cause chris and him are great friends!

42- to creepyish to be pop

LiJ- ok thats a little popish but how can u not like the song!

yes- too dark for pop

viva- i think the lyrics are incredible but yes it is pop

violet hill- that is rock/democratic

strawberry swing- just a happy song...its got too weird of a sound to be pop

death and all his friends- awesomeness

Guest howyousawtheworld
Ode to J Smith sucks, it's so boring :( The Man Who and The Invisible Band are way better

exactly

:o

To be fair the other two you just mentioned are lovely as well!

Omg I seriously completely agree with everything you said. :wacky: