✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[5-Aug-2011] Coldplay @ Lollapalooza Festival, Chicago

Ebs757

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll get a better idea as European festival season rolls on and they iron out the setlist, finding a good flow that both works and gets the audience pumped. I think 5 new songs is the very maximum they should go for, just because you can lose a crowd with any further unfamiliarity. I'd be satisfied with 5.

And hey, if they keep closing with ETIAW, that would be one benefit to not camping on barrier all day - the ability to leave before the end of the set more easily. :P

Kidding, of course. I may hate loathe detest abhor despise the song, but I'll learn it enough so I can sing along live.

should I go?

Hey Chicago folks - I'm thinking of coming to Lollapalooza. It will require a 12 hour bus ride each way, but I have a friend I can stay with in Chicago. My indecision is about the length of time between staking a spot on the frounds and when the concert starts, especially if it is a really hot day. I'm an older fan (57) and my tolerance for heat isn't what it used to be. Also, I would be coming on my own. Can anyone who is going offer any reassurance, and maybe some company during the wait? I need to make a decision before one-day tickets go on sale tomorrow.

EDIT: I've decided against going, mostly due to the heat and humidity factors. THanks for all your recomendations and to those of you who are going - have a great time and say hi to the boys for me. :-)

Buying my one day passes tomorrow too! Im so excited and nervous!

I dnt know what to expect at the festival.

Im mostly nervous about when to wait for coldplay. And how long does that take. If it will be unbearably hot.if there will crazy fans pushing me down to the floor :P. And what will I do if I get hungry or have to go to the bathroom but I dnt want to leave my spot? Ah so many questions this is why im nervous :/

and do the tickets sell out fast?

Buying my one day passes tomorrow too! Im so excited and nervous!

I dnt know what to expect at the festival.

Im mostly nervous about when to wait for coldplay. And how long does that take. If it will be unbearably hot.if there will crazy fans pushing me down to the floor :P. And what will I do if I get hungry or have to go to the bathroom but I dnt want to leave my spot? Ah so many questions this is why im nervous :/

and do the tickets sell out fast?

I have never been to a festival but have waited all day in the sun to be close to the front to see Coldplay two days in a row two years ago. Brings LOTS of sunblock, water, food, etc. Try to bring someone with you so when you have to step away to use the bathroom, they can save your guy's spot. I think when they come on the stage, there will be pushing... I am planning on getting there when doors open so I can be in the front row. If you don't have anyone to hang out with, you can hang out with me and my best friend :) I love meeting coldplayers!

Hey Chicago folks - I'm thinking of coming to Lollapalooza. It will require a 12 hour bus ride each way, but I have a friend I can stay with in Chicago. My indecision is about the length of time between staking a spot on the frounds and when the concert starts, especially if it is a really hot day. I'm an older fan (57) and my tolerance for heat isn't what it used to be. Also, I would be coming on my own. Can anyone who is going offer any reassurance, and maybe some company during the wait? I need to make a decision before one-day tickets go on sale tomorrow.

People will start staking their spot right after the gates open, but it's usually not that many. Crowd will grow throughout the day by the main stages (it's a loooooong day). I've had a few really nice weather days at Lolla; I've had a slew of 90+ humid days there. Dress for hot and make sure you're fed and hydrated. If you choose to walk the grounds, there are cooling tents, cooling buses, food and drink tents, etc..., so those option are there for you. Pull up some ground maps from 2010 or 2009 (when they expanded the grounds), so you can get an idea of the layout.

Ill be there, so if you go, Ill definitely give a 'hello'.

I have never been to a festival but have waited all day in the sun to be close to the front to see Coldplay two days in a row two years ago. Brings LOTS of sunblock, water, food, etc. Try to bring someone with you so when you have to step away to use the bathroom, they can save your guy's spot. I think when they come on the stage, there will be pushing... I am planning on getting there when doors open so I can be in the front row. If you don't have anyone to hang out with, you can hang out with me and my best friend :) I love meeting coldplayers!

Cool, thanks for the info! :D my sister doesn't seem very excited about staying all day in front of a stage :\ im worried shell be opposed to me staying and shell get in the way of me being in the front :( but im pretty sure ill do whatever I can to get there, can't miss this opportunity. so if im by myself, ill be seeing you there :P

Cool, thanks for the info! :D my sister doesn't seem very excited about staying all day in front of a stage :\ im worried shell be opposed to me staying and shell get in the way of me being in the front :( but im pretty sure ill do whatever I can to get there, can't miss this opportunity. so if im by myself, ill be seeing you there :P

Thankfully my best friend loves Coldplay just as much as me, but I would go alone if I had to :) It's always fun meeting everyone, hope to see you there :) Two months from today!

I'm from chicago, and this is a must. One day tickets go on sale tomorrow and they haven't even released what day they're playing. Does anyone know?

The schedule is also supposed to be released tomorrow and it is heavily rumored that they are playing Saturday, August 6th.

Thankfully my best friend loves Coldplay just as much as me, but I would go alone if I had to :) It's always fun meeting everyone, hope to see you there :) Two months from today!

That's so cool I wish I had a best friend that loved coldplay as much as me :( my sister is actually a big fan, the closest I got to being a fan like me. But idk she's just not as crazy about them as me :P this is exciting I've only gone to one coldplay concert and there were two grown men next to me, so there was nobody to meet. So this will be fun :D and my 2nd concert of CP. Wow only two months away.

Im gonna try to buy tickets tonight at midnight.

That's so cool I wish I had a best friend that loved coldplay as much as me :( my sister is actually a big fan, the closest I got to being a fan like me. But idk she's just not as crazy about them as me :P this is exciting I've only gone to one coldplay concert and there were two grown men next to me, so there was nobody to meet. So this will be fun :D and my 2nd concert of CP. Wow only two months away.

Im gonna try to buy tickets tonight at midnight.

We have been to every Coldplay concert together except for one LOL. Aw, only one Coldplay concert? This will be my ninth and my tenth will be in Austin in September :) Once you see them live once, you are hooked. I have never seen them at a festival, so I am nervous about how the crowd is going to be, but at every other concert I have been to, I have met some great people :)

We have been to every Coldplay concert together except for one LOL. Aw, only one Coldplay concert? This will be my ninth and my tenth will be in Austin in September :) Once you see them live once, you are hooked. I have never seen them at a festival, so I am nervous about how the crowd is going to be, but at every other concert I have been to, I have met some great people :)

That's so awesome. Im jelous :P yea only one cuz my mom wouldn't let me go cuz she said I was too young. Vlv came out when I was 18 so I was finally able to go! And I went on july 13 2009 by that time I was already 19 though. I had to wait a really long time to see them but that day was one of the best days of my life ever :D so yea like u say, im hooked now! And just imagining the new songs gets me so excited for the festival!!!

Yea im worried about the crowd. I've never been to an event with that many people. I mean the concert I went to doesn't count much, there was seats. This will be different. So you have at least a bit more experience :)

That's so awesome. Im jelous :P yea only one cuz my mom wouldn't let me go cuz she said I was too young. Vlv came out when I was 18 so I was finally able to go! And I went on july 13 2009 by that time I was already 19 though. I had to wait a really long time to see them but that day was one of the best days of my life ever :D so yea like u say, im hooked now! And just imagining the new songs gets me so excited for the festival!!!

Yea im worried about the crowd. I've never been to an event with that many people. I mean the concert I went to doesn't count much, there was seats. This will be different. So you have at least a bit more experience :)

Oh man, that's horrible, you are so young! I was 21 the first time I saw them and am 27 now LOL. What concert was it that you went to?

Oh man, that's horrible, you are so young! I was 21 the first time I saw them and am 27 now LOL. What concert was it that you went to?

Wow thanks for calling me young, I sometimes feel old :\ I turned 21 nine days ago but I feel its been months already:stunned: which concert was your first? I went to the one in San Francisco :D

I love this idea!

Wow thanks for calling me young, I sometimes feel old :\ I turned 21 nine days ago but I feel its been months already:stunned: which concert was your first? I went to the one in San Francisco :D

I love San Francisco, I am moving there in January! I almost went to that concert too lol. My first concert was in 2005 here in Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. They played a super small venue called the Joint and I was lucky enough to be in the second row :) It was right before X&Y was released and something I will always remember.

I love San Francisco, I am moving there in January! I almost went to that concert too lol. My first concert was in 2005 here in Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. They played a super small venue called the Joint and I was lucky enough to be in the second row :) It was right before X&Y was released and something I will always remember.

oh thats so cool :D i also love San Fran. And i love the Bay Area, wouldnt want to live anywhere else. youll love it.wow , well thats an amazing first concert. i cant even tell you how jelous i am! and the x&y tour was so freakin awesome!! well what i saw on tv:( what an experience to have lived through. may i ask how you were lucky enough to get second row. was it just coldplay karma?:D

i was kinda far from the stage. but i almost didnt get to go cuz the tickets were selling out! so with whatever i got i was happy. and coldplay karma helped me out. i managed to be a couple rows away from the B-stage! and i still cant believe it. thats why im so excited for Lolla, cuz im hoping to have some coldplay karma!and im sitting here with another page on my laptop open to the Lolla site ready to buy my tickets :dance:

oh thats so cool :D i also love San Fran. And i love the Bay Area, wouldnt want to live anywhere else. youll love it.wow , well thats an amazing first concert. i cant even tell you how jelous i am! and the x&y tour was so freakin awesome!! well what i saw on tv:( what an experience to have lived through. may i ask how you were lucky enough to get second row. was it just coldplay karma?:D

i was kinda far from the stage. but i almost didnt get to go cuz the tickets were selling out! so with whatever i got i was happy. and coldplay karma helped me out. i managed to be a couple rows away from the B-stage! and i still cant believe it. thats why im so excited for Lolla, cuz im hoping to have some coldplay karma!and im sitting here with another page on my laptop open to the Lolla site ready to buy my tickets :dance:

I just got lucky.. when I got tickets, all that was left was balcony. When I got to the venue I asked if there were any seats closer and I thought the show was completely sold out, but they upgraded me to second row :) So I guess you could call it Coldplay karma! I will always have a special spot in my heart for that show, there were maybe like 2,000 people at that show and it's the smallest venue I have ever seen them in and up until two years ago, that was the closest I had been to the stage.

That is so awesome how close you were to the B-Stage! That's one of the reasons why I love Coldplay.... they want to make sure that all of their fans are included and get to see them. I loved on the X&Y tour when Chris ran through the crowd, because you were not expecting it!

I hear that tickets are going on sale at 10 AM tomorrow central time, 8 AM pacific. I am worried they are gonna sell out, because the tickets for Austin City Limits festival sold out like an hour after they went on sale a few weeks ago for the day Coldplay is playing. Luckily, I was able to get tickets but still... I guess if they sell out, I can do the 3 day pass, but i'd rather not :)

I just got lucky.. when I got tickets, all that was left was balcony. When I got to the venue I asked if there were any seats closer and I thought the show was completely sold out, but they upgraded me to second row :) So I guess you could call it Coldplay karma! I will always have a special spot in my heart for that show, there were maybe like 2,000 people at that show and it's the smallest venue I have ever seen them in and up until two years ago, that was the closest I had been to the stage.

That is so awesome how close you were to the B-Stage! That's one of the reasons why I love Coldplay.... they want to make sure that all of their fans are included and get to see them. I loved on the X&Y tour when Chris ran through the crowd, because you were not expecting it!

I hear that tickets are going on sale at 10 AM tomorrow central time, 8 AM pacific. I am worried they are gonna sell out, because the tickets for Austin City Limits festival sold out like an hour after they went on sale a few weeks ago for the day Coldplay is playing. Luckily, I was able to get tickets but still... I guess if they sell out, I can do the 3 day pass, but i'd rather not :)

that sounds so cool! that is a small venue! and that definitely is coldplay karma:D do you think its also cuz coldplay was still not as big as they were in VLV cuz i would think a venue like that would completely sell out in three seconds!

yea i know i love them for that, because it shows how much they truly do care about us :heart: haha i loved that and theres a video of when chris is in the back of the crowd and he is singing in my place and he got stuck in the crowd i love that video it makes me laugh everytime!:laugh3:

haha thanks for telling me, i was refreshing the stupid page and nothing happened:P i figured it would be something like that by the second time i refreshed the page:lol: guess i gotta wake up extral early then!! thats what im afraid of, that they will sell out, had a bad experience buying my tickets for my last concert:( i cant buy the 3 day passes they are way too much money for me to spend:cry: im already spending all my college tuition money, so hopefully coldplay karma is on my side!:cool: