✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Adele

alejolo

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love her, she seems genuine but there's a gargantuan machine behind her. How else explain the record shattering numbers behind this ordinary album?

She makes music that will appeal to her core audience and for now only takes shy excursions to a different sound. For instance, she loves Frank Ocean and Drake and wants to do a cover of Hotline Bling but her label probably won't allow her to deviate from her signature sound.

The record shattering numbers I believe are solely due to the fact people have been hungry for an Adele album for years. Anticipation building up for years would result in people rushing to the shelves as soon as she dropped her single. There was really no advertising around 25 as far as I could see. It´s really selling itself!

Oh I am sure she can deviate from her signature sound if she wants to now. 3 albums in and her kind of success means she probably has quite a lot of artistic freedom. I remember reading she tried writing other tracks for 25, happier ones inspired by her motherhood or something, but it just wasnt her, so she went back and re-wrote it to what we have now. I heard a few tracks. I like it, it´s a solid sequel to 21, but I think she will make quite a different album next time around. (Where she is also dropping the age numbers hehe)

My comment was brought on by the stories of people saying that record stores now basically look like one big commercial for 25 but I agree that the album isn't selling because the stores look like that, it's the other way around, because people want the album so much, the stores are stocked with it.

Just like 21, it's selling because it's different from the popular stuff out there. Similarly, X&Y was the best selling album worldwide in 2005 because it mobilized all the people who didn't like the prevailing sound of that time. Ironically, they are being accused of sounding too commercial now but sell much less than back when they were "alternative".

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I dont want to sound like a stereotypical man (I may very well be haha), but I am at song 3 and I am already thinking I cant sit through a whole Adele concert *LOL* Its just too much of the same heartbreak-tears-heartbreak thing. I have always enjoyed her songs, but one at the time. haha I´d never seen a whole concert before, so now I know I dont think I could sit through this (willingly) LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I listenet to 25 in its entirety (the first Adele album I ever listened to) and I have to say I did not really like it... parts of Hello, When We Were Young and A Million Years Ago were really beautiful but not enough to make we want to listen to it again... That said, I do appreciate her singing ability.

Guest diogo_sg

The only songs that I do like from 25 are Water Under The Bridge, Send My Love (To Your New Lover), When We Were Young and I Miss You. The rest (even Hello) isn't bad, but it simply doesn't amaze me.

Adele is not a manufactured mainstream puppet show! If you think she is you're seriously misinformed about her career and musicianship. She's the best female vocalist in the world right now and her nonconformist attitude and refusal to adhere to popular musical trends shines in her music. She's also an extremely capable songwriter and multi-instrumentalist who writes well thought out music which just happens that a lot of people find refreshing and captivating. I'd give 25 an 8.5 out of 10, compared to 4.25 I gave to AHFOD.

While I absolutely do not disapprove or vilify criticism of Adele and am in no position to do so, to see it on a Coldplay forum is rather ridiculous! Especially considering the band's current output.

^ everyone is entitled to an opinion. music is subjective. i personally found 25 boring and somewhat unengaging too. that is in no way a comparison to coldplay, their recent output, whatever.

that said adele is the defining vocalist in this generation for me.

• Like 1

While I absolutely do not disapprove or vilify criticism of Adele and am in no position to do so, to see it on a Coldplay forum is rather ridiculous! Especially considering the band's current output.

I agree with @gai here. I dont think its ridiculous to see criticism of Adele anywhere, including a Coldplay forum :) (though Im not sure what posts you were referring to about her being manufactured? Guess I must have missed that).

I have heard her album 25 and very much like 21 I do like quite a few songs I will probably buy. I think she is brilliant, however her music style (100% ballads) makes it so that I would not buy an entire album, let alone listen to it from start to finish. Its just too many ballads for me hehe I do and have listened to AHFOD from start to finish many times, not because its necessarily a better quality music than Adele (I think her songwriting and collaborators do a wonderful work), but because its varied both in musical genres and lyrical themes.

that said adele is the defining vocalist in this generation for me.

Both her voice and the way she delivers the song (or anything she sings) is quite unique imo. No matter what she sings, she always gets my attention. And also she is so very sincere and it certainly can be seen and heard! Also I love he interviews...she is hilarious haha Reminds me a lot of Jennifer Lawrence: another staggering talent coupled with extreme down-to-earthed-ness :)

• Like 1

Just watched him on The Late Late Night with James Corden when two were in a car going around in London. Too hilarious! I had a big laugh the entire time lol. Adele totally nails the rapping part, gonna love her even more!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I re-up this topic. Because she released in last november her new album 30. A album very influenced by the jazz/soul of 40's and 50's and was inspired by her divorce in 2019, she write this album after the divorce and was very intimate and personal. After the folk-pop of 19, the RnB/soul and motown of 70's of 21 and the pop/electronic of 25, she recording album more inspired by this period. It's was my second favorite album of her after 19. I was a fan of Adele since 2009 and she have a huge respect about how she was good has a songwriter and singer. So much gems like Love is a Game, Easy on Me or Can i Get it.