✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[18-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ RXP TAKLIBERTY FESTIVAL ## [CANCELLED]

Tash

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh No! I'm sorry :( Geez, I hope nothing happens with Austin City Limits Festival where they're playing Sept 16! Sucks when they cancel a concert -- but hopefully it's the festival organizers and not an issue Coldplay. At least you have some notice, when they cancelled Tampa almost 2 years ago, I was on the plane!

I guess this isn't a Coldplay issue, it's still on Coldplay.com (in the live section)

Oh No! I'm sorry :( Geez, I hope nothing happens with Austin City Limits Festival where they're playing Sept 16! Sucks when they cancel a concert -- but hopefully it's the festival organizers and not an issue Coldplay. At least you have some notice, when they cancelled Tampa almost 2 years ago, I was on the plane!

I seriously doubt it's related to Coldplay, methinks the festival didn't have enough interest. . .last time I checked about 1/3rd of the seating was still available, and all of the GA. . .

This must have been very recent. . . Look at this from Richard Ashcroft's facebook. . .

Richard Ashcroft

General Sale tickets available now for Richard's performance at the 101.9 RXP The NY Rock Experience TāKLIBERTY FESTIVAL as well as more information here: http://bit.ly/iEkKfA

Rock 101.9 RXP

http://www.1019rxp.com

3 hours ago · LikeUnlike · · Share

coldplay1024.jpg

So Much For That WRXP-Sponsored Coldplay Show In September

Hey, remember the RXP Tākliberty Festival, the WRXP-sponsored day of alt-rock at the PNC Bank Arts Center that was announced last Monday and going to have Coldplay as its headliner? Well, it's been canceled "due to unforeseen circumstances." Which actually isn't all that surprising given that the station sponsoring the day was sold last Tuesday to someone who is reportedly looking to ditch rock from the station's playlist altogether.

Last week WRXP was one of three stations sold by Emmis Broadcasting (which, locally, also owns Hot 97) to a company called Merlin Media; it's headed up by Randy Michaels, a former bigwig at Clear Channel who was most recently forced out of heading up the Tribune Company among allegations of the grossest kinds of misconduct. Michaels actually came up as a DJ who made a name for himself by, as this 2001 Salon piece on Clear Channel notes, "farting on the air, cracking jokes about gays and tantalizing listeners with descriptions of "incredibly horny, wet and ready" naked in-studio guests." And, of course: "[He] pulled in big ratings wherever he went." He's a big fan of music-free radio formats, and is apparently planning on flipping his new toys so he can play with them his way—two in Chicago, one in New York—to news/talk outlets; shortly after the sale broke, Time Out Chicago's media reporter Robert Feder claimed that Q101, a worthy if sometimes-mockable Chicago alt-rock stalwart, would flip sometime within 45 days of the June 21 deal. It's not too much of a stretch to assume that the similar speculation about WRXP is correct and that the station will change formats before the RXP Tākliberty Festival's scheduled date of September 18, hence the cancellation.

WRXP is definitely a flawed attempt to make rock a viable radio format, one that couldn't figure out exactly what it wanted to be and as a result its playlist was spread a little too wide for anyone to tune in steadily, let alone religiously. (The goodwill inspired in this listener by hearing "Hunger Strike" on the radio, for example, would quickly dissipate as soon as 311's "Homebrew" started; surely there are listeners on whom the reverse reaction would work, or would work when AC/DC, Mumford & Sons, Live, etc., etc. were introduced into the mix. The iPod era, of course, only accelerates the impatience.) When it started in 2008, I thought it was a noble experiment because it was incorporating artists like Santogold and Franz Ferdinand into its playlist alongside the likes of the Who and Springsteen; after all, there were people whose record collections mirrored these playlists out there, especially in New York. That forward-thinking element seemed to dissipate over time, however, and more post-grunge stalwarts that are otherwise absent from radio in the Big Apple crept into the playlist, resulting in the whiplash/backlash-inducing playlists the station now puts forth.

Whether the original version of WRXP would have worked in a pre-digital music era, or would have eventually petered out the way WLIR did, is up for debate. Now, we're left to wonder how this shift to no doubt "edgy" talk will work out in relation to the Free FM experiment of all those years ago. Anyone get David Lee Roth on the phone yet?

[NB: that Salon piece is pretty depressing reading as far as realizing how much the cultural outrage meter has shifted over the past 10 years. Like, across the board.]

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2011/06/rxp_takliberty_festival_canceled.php

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

^My reaction. :|

This is seriously awful for me, it was going to be my first Coldplay show. . .

So Much For That WRXP-Sponsored Coldplay Show In September

Hey, remember the RXP Tākliberty Festival, the WRXP-sponsored day of alt-rock at the PNC Bank Arts Center that was announced last Monday and going to have Coldplay as its headliner? . .. . etc etc. . .

Ugh, why would they sell the station if the station was going to have a festival? I don't care what artists they played on the radio. ..

Ugh SERIOUSLY!!!!

what

the

fuck

I can't get over this

I know, this has seriously made me depressed. :|

I had a countdown on my iPod and everything. :|

Ian, do you think you could put something on the main coldplaying.com page about this? In case people bought tickets but don't check this thread often. ..

edit: Never mind, you already have it up. Thanks

I know. Beyond frustrated. It seems like it obviously wasn't Coldplay at all though, which is good.

Still, HATE HATE HATE THIS.

Can't believe they would cancel a festival which was ALREADY announced and had people invested in it. It's just so strange that the "flip" in people in charge is to blame for this--that the new person would cancel something so big, that would (I assume) bring a good amount of money and attention to the station with someone as big (and wonderful) as Coldplay.

Disappointment.

that doesn't sound like an "unforeseen circumstance" to me :p

agreed, a deal like that isn't "unforseen". . .

and still nothing on coldplay.com. i wonder when, if they have gotten notice of this? because as of about 11:00am our time Richard Ashcroft hadn't. . .

I'm genuinely upset. You have no idea (although I'm sure you all do) how effing angry this makes me. Row F, too...ugh. I'm attending Montclair State next year, it would've been a straight shot to Holmdel. Imffnajwakalaurbufjsnrvthichdueu. I wish we could petition.